Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Related Thoughts on the Super Bowl

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Steelers Related Thoughts on the Super Bowl

Draft pundits are dumb. Deion Jones was listed as bad pick along with Artie Burns and Sean Davis. I'm going to go with the folks around here once again.

Pass rush is all that slows down either team.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe they should not have cut CJ Goodwin?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Steelers Related Thoughts on the Super Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Draft pundits are dumb. Deion Jones was listed as bad pick along with Artie Burns and Sean Davis. I'm going to go with the folks around here once again.
    Yep.

A month ago, I posted an article by PFF which listed its 16 worst picks of the 2016 draft... and at least 9 of which were really good picks.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Blount sure seems to be back into the form he played in when he was here. Dance at the handoff and run directly into the line.

Julio has those Jerry Rice type hands. If they touch the ball, it's a catch. So freaking strong.

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Blount sure seems to be back into the form he played in when he was here. Dance at the handoff and run directly into the line.

Julio has those Jerry Rice type hands. If they touch the ball, it's a catch. So freaking strong.
    True and true, but I'll say AB is just as good if not better, and only lacks JJ's cast of supporting WRs.
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Peon View Post
    True and true, but I'll say AB is just as good if not better, and only lacks JJ's cast of supporting WRs.
    You gotta admit though, with Bryant probably back in the fold along side Rodgers. That's pretty scary.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    You gotta admit though, with Bryant probably back in the fold along side Rodgers. That's pretty scary.
    I think defensive coordinators are already having cold sweats about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Peon View Post
    I'll say AB is just as good if not better
    AB vs. Julio Jones

Gun to my head... uh... shoot me.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I think defensive coordinators are already having cold sweats about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I hope so. And if we add 1 more legitimate weapon to our offense, along with fixing our pass rush issue, dynasty return.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    AB vs. Julio Jones

Gun to my head... uh... shoot me.
    The Patriots did a good job taking away Jones just like AB. The difference, IMO, comes down to size and strength. Advantage Julio, but I'm ready to back up the armored truck fpr AB.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    The Patriots did a good job taking away Jones just like AB. The difference, IMO, comes down to size and strength. Advantage Julio, but I'm ready to back up the armored truck fpr AB.
    And... AB still caught 7 for 77 yards.

After the catch, there's no one better than AB.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

In this crazy sports year, the Pens holding onto a 3-1 series lead to win the NHL finals is now looking like a heck of an accomplishment

As Colin Cowherd (of all people) said:

1. Get a passer.
    2. Rush the passer.
    3. Protect the passer.

1. check
    2. draft, draft, draft
    3. check

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The pass rush is useless when you play the soft zone against Brady....

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    And 40 some of 60 some for 450+ yards says that man coverage is no great shakes when you fail to get to Brady as well!

Falcons didn't possess the ball enough in the second half. Their defense was on the field FOREVER (96 plays or something like that over the course of the game?) and they broke down through exhuastion more than anything else likely.

Point is, NFL football is a complex series of moving parts and very rarely, if ever, is a single point failure the sole source of a bad outcome. If the Steelers execute the zone better and don't lose Hogan and the fullback in coverage a handful of times - who knows, we could be having a different conversation.

Likely about how Taylor Gabriel at them alive, but still -- different.

When the Falcons defense pressured Brady, they gave up 3 points in almost three quarters. .

When they didn't get pressure, they gave up 25 points in a little over a quarter.

And 40 some of 60 some for 450+ yards says that man coverage is no great shakes when you fail to get to Brady as well!

Falcons didn't possess the ball enough in the second half. Their defense was on the field FOREVER (96 plays or something like that over the course of the game?) and they broke down through exhuastion more than anything else likely.

Point is, NFL football is a complex series of moving parts and very rarely, if ever, is a single point failure the sole source of a bad outcome. If the Steelers execute the zone better and don't lose Hogan and the fullback in coverage a handful of times - who knows, we could be having a different conversation.

Likely about how Taylor Gabriel at them alive, but still -- different.
    Imagine if the steelers defense would have been on the field for 96 plays against the pats. It would have been 70 points at least.

Man to man is not a guarantee, since Brady is the best QB of all time, but at least Atlanta have try, what the steelers have not done!

- - - Updated - - -

When the Falcons defense pressured Brady, they gave up 3 points in almost three quarters. .

When they didn't get pressure, they gave up 25 points in a little over a quarter.

The point is that when you play the soft zone against Brady, Brady throws the ball in less than 2 seconds and the pass rush has no chance!

The point is that when you play the soft zone against Brady, Brady throws the ball in less than 2 seconds and the pass rush has no chance!
    The last quarter of the Super Bowl disagrees with you.

The teams that beat Brady, pressure him. The Ravens consistently do it. The NYGiants won two Super Bowls by doing it. And, the Falcons would have won a Super Bowl by doing it... except their pass rush disappeared (despite still playing man coverage).

It's ALL about pressure.

How is man coverage any different? You guard me. Assume I beat the jam at the line, now I know where I am going and when I need to get there. You know neither. Want to bet who "wins"?

From what I saw during the SB, and I admit I did not watch as closely as I could have, the Falcons DBs (other than the pick and like 6 other passes out of 60 some) did not bat a ton of balls down. Brady still completed over 60%!

Man coverage only makes things "better" if you have a high end CB to "erase" a guy and then you put extra people in the mix to put Brady on his ass. Falcons only rushed 3 or 4 most of the night.

The last quarter of the Super Bowl disagrees with you.

The teams that beat Brady, pressure him. The Ravens consistently do it. The NYGiants won two Super Bowls by doing it. And, the Falcons would have won a Super Bowl by doing it... except their pass rush disappeared (despite still playing man coverage).

It's ALL about pressure.

2 things you have to do against Brady.Pressure and play man to man

If you do not both, you have no chance.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Which makes you wonder why would they abandon it when it was working all game ? Then pass later when they only need to run the ball and kick a field goal to win. 1.Atlanta coaches are even less intelligent then Pitts which I can't believe.2. Or the fix was in!

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Which makes you wonder why would they abandon it when it was working all game ? Then pass later when they only need to run the ball and kick a field goal to win. 1.Atlanta coaches are even less intelligent then Pitts which I can't believe.2. Or the fix was in!

They try to put pressure, but they just ran out of gas at the end.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

They try to put pressure, but they just ran out of gas at the end.
    Sorry not buying that and if the case, pretty sure Pats OL was tired just the same. Ps they didn't try and back off in the 4th.

Banned Array title="LloydWoodson is a glorious beacon of light">

Exactly. That's what pissed me off. Brady looked like Tim Tebow when he was being pressured- overthrowing receivers or throwing it into the turf for no reason. Only when the D got fatigued did he look good.

On that note Ryan is also a god damned statue that can't avoid the pass rush and doesn't have good pocket awareness. Ben/Rodgers/Wilson/Prescott turn a couple of those sacks into completions.

Steelers need a much better pass rush. Tuitt wasn't 100 and Heyward was out but the edge rush from the Steelers is totally lacking. Need an OLB to complement Dupree hopefully comes in the 2nd round. I'm just starting to look at players but I really like Taco Charlton from Michigan.

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

Pressure on Brady or not, there's no reason for the Atlanta offense to have imploded in the ways they did come the 2nd half, and I detect a foul odor emanating from this game.
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

It would be great if the Steelers could draft a 3-4 OLB who can rush the passer from the start, not wait for a season or two.
    Hater = Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    So, what did I learn?

Simple. Once again, nobody beats the Pats* twice in a year, and in important games, no one can beat them in the second half. Last time they played that way, there was a reason for it that nothing to do with football. I'd lay 3 to 1 there's a similar reason this time
    The Pats often lost against the same opponent 2 times in the same year in the last few years

The Jets in 2010, giants in 2011, ravens in 2012 and broncos in 2015....

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

It doesn't matter what coverage you play against Brady. There is ALWAYS one receiver open. It's their scheme. All the QB has to do in that scheme is find the guy before the pass rush gets there. Sounds simple, but that's how they operate. The receivers keep moving until they are open and once they are, Brady makes all,the throws. The only way to beat them is to make Brady throw before he is ready. How often do you see Brady throw a go route? How often to you see him throw a Flag or Post pattern? Not very often. Their routes are short and quick, high percentages to be open and make a throw before the pass rush is there. It's really that simple. I hate to say it, but coverage doesn't make that big of a difference. Zone, they run quick routes to the wholes. Man, they just run quick routes at angles the defender can't get to. Look at Amendolas TD. No defender could've defended that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Didn't watch much of the game, about the last 9 minutes.

Do refs not call face masks anymore? It is one thing to miss a holding call in the trenches, but a face mask on the ball carrier going out of bounds? WTF are the refs looking at? Just the Atlanta's player body and neck twist should have drawn attention. Not a big miss? Just so happened to take Atlanta out of FG range and gave the Pats* another opportunity to tie or win the game. If the holding penalty is off set by the face mask, I think Atlanta wins the SB.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Throwing the ball when the obvious call is run is not just a Todd Haley flaw. It takes a team to blow a 25 point second half lead but this sequence was when Atlanta could have put away the game up 8.

Leading 28-20 with 4 minutes, 40 seconds remaining, the Falcons had a first down at the Patriots' 22-yard line and a great opportunity to make it a two-score game. The Patriots had found their rhythm on offense, but it's debatable whether they would have had enough time to score twice.

The Falcons' playcalling at that point was, well, unexpected -- and that's being kind to offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan. They missed a huge opportunity to seal the game.
    Shanahan called a pass on second and third downs. The first resulted in a 12-yard sack, and the second was overturned by a holding penalty. On the next play -- on third-and-33 -- Shanahan called another pass that fell incomplete. The Falcons lost 23 yards on two plays, were forced to punt and drained only 1:10 off the clock.

Had the Falcons simply run three times -- even if they failed to gain a single yard -- kicker Matt Bryant would have been in position for a quite reasonable 39-yard field goal attempt. In his career, Bryant is 31-for-32 on field goals of 40 yards or shorter in the fourth quarter or overtime, according to research from Micah Adams of ESPN Stats & Information.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/p...-super-bowl-li

This column in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution sums up the despair in Atlanta

The Falcons lose the most Atlanta game ever

This wasn't just another in Atlanta's lengthy series of Hard Knocks and Epic Collapses. This was the absolute worst. This was the game that, with 17 minutes and seven seconds remaining, could not be lost. It was.

http://www.myajc.com/sports/football...a3T0LArVo0OVO/

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Steelers coaches that is how you make adjustments.