Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Was 2016 A Success Or Failure?

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Re: Was 2016 A Success Or Failure?

I said depends. If the Browns made it to the AFCC game it would be a success for them. The Steelers were front runners to go to the SB. They struggled in the post-season. Sure, it was nice to see Dupree healthy enough to play, but the goal for the Steelers was the SB. Of course there are parts in the season that were successful and not so successful, but the bootom line for this team was a SB. BR doesn't have many years left. There are some glaring holes in talent and coaching that need to be improved on.
    Hater = Realist

Banned Array title="LloydWoodson is a glorious beacon of light">

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I don't know what kind of spin you've bought into, but that loss was NOT a matter of execution.

Like, maybe our execution could've been better, but even if we executed perfectly, we still would've lost with that shit plan.

Call me crazy, but I don't think almost was good enough here, considering the way it ended. Would you call it a "success" if you led the Indy 500 for the first 150 laps, then finished second because someone else put a great move on you? Sure.

Would it be a success if you led for the first 150 laps, then crashed out of the race because your crew chief was too stupid to bolt your tires back on? Not so much. That's the difference.
    Hamilton dropped a TD. Coates dropped a TD. Mitchell bit on a flea flicker that a veteran safety has no business doing. That's an 18 point swing.

I still don't get Mitchell playing deep. Put him in the strong position and let speedy and smaller Davis cover deep. Mitchell started his career at SS and to be honest he's a little crazy. Put him in the box and let him roam a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    For good teams yes - for excellent teams no

That is not what the standard is in New England and was not the standard in Pittsburgh in the 70s
    I get what you're saying I do. Still only 6 teams won a playoff game. Steelers are a young team and showing improvement. I scoffed at the #1 power ranking in week 2. Steelers overachieved this year with a young secondary and mediocre pass rush. This team is not the 70s Steelers by all accounts. Bell was carrying the team TD style.

If you can get to the playoffs and then win a game and make a run at the Super Bowl well that's all you can do.

Considering the win over the Bengals last year deserves an asterisk because the Bengals threw away the win at the last minute... getting to the AFC Championship after not truly winning a playoff game since 2010-11 was a huge success.

A lot of you are just overvaluing the Steelers as fans should.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by LloydWoodson View Post
    I get what you're saying I do. Still only 6 teams won a playoff game. Steelers are a young team and showing improvement. I scoffed at the #1 power ranking in week 2. Steelers overachieved this year with a young secondary and mediocre pass rush. This team is not the 70s Steelers by all accounts. Bell was carrying the team TD style.

If you can get to the playoffs and then win a game and make a run at the Super Bowl well that's all you can do.

Considering the win over the Bengals last year deserves an asterisk because the Bengals threw away the win at the last minute... getting to the AFC Championship after not truly winning a playoff game since 2010-11 was a huge success.

No, no asterik, since the steelers played almost all the fourth quarter without Roethlisberger and they had several injuries in this team, notably to the position of running back.Also, the referees missed the false start of A.J Green on his touchdown...

I am not saying that this season was a failure because I only consider the last game as a failure, but I was more proud of the steelers after the last season than I am after the season of this year.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Also, the referees missed the false start of A.J Green on his touchdown...
    Not to mention allowing Birth Defect to instigate fights and generally be out of control the entire game...

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    No, no asterik, since the steelers played almost all the fourth quarter without Roethlisberger and they had several injuries in this team, notably to the position of running back.Also, the referees missed the false start of A.J Green on his touchdown...

I am not saying that this season was a failure because I only consider the last game as a failure, but I was more proud of the steelers after the last season than I am after the season of this year.
    Umm the Bengals played all 4 quarters with a rookie backup.

Bell was out, Shazier's TD should have stood etc. Bottom line is if Burfict wasn't a goon the Bengals win that game.

Count it though. That's 1 win since 2010. AFC Championship against a very good team is still a success. Steelers need a better pass rush more secondary help and another RB. Of course... everyone will tell you we need a QB to watch Ben from the bench.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

A lot of you are just overvaluing the Steelers as fans should
    I agree.

I had low expectations with no Bryant and no Dupree for a 1/2 season and then L. Green missing most of this season. Also, with a journeyman 4th string WR opposite of AB?

We did good this year although the AFCC game was a stinker.

Next year will be Super Bowl or bust. I have high expectations next year. If all the pieces are back (A big IF), this should be a great offense with the defense getting more experience and maybe some new pieces at OLB and DB.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

And it's not true that winning a win playoffs means a successful season.

I don't think we can consider the Houston Texans season as a success.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    I said depends. If the Browns made it to the AFCC game it would be a success for them. The Steelers were front runners to go to the SB. They struggled in the post-season. Sure, it was nice to see Dupree healthy enough to play, but the goal for the Steelers was the SB. Of course there are parts in the season that were successful and not so successful, but the bootom line for this team was a SB. BR doesn't have many years left. There are some glaring holes in talent and coaching that need to be improved on.
    The SB is the ultimate goal for every team every year. Of course it is. Not reaching does not mean the season is a failure though. The AFC has been represented by Brady, Manning, and BB, except for the 1 Flacco year. You saw just how great Brady was last night. Probably the best ever. We got there 3 times during this period of domination. That alone should speak to how well this organization stays on point and focused on the goal. I refuse to look at this as a failure.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

I think we are in agreement

Earlier in this thread I posted the season was a success since I regarded the 2016 Steelers to be a good but not excellent team that met preseason expectations of being the second best team in a down year for the AFC.

The point that I should have clarified is that certain teams at a higher level than the 2016 Steelers (Patriots now, Peyton Manning Colts who kept making the playoffs and flaming out until they won a Super Bowl, 2004 - 2010 Steelers, dynasties such as 90s Cowboys and 80s 49ers) set their sights higher than just winning a playoff game to call the season a success.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

It was a failure with dumb play calling in the AFC Title Game. That and all of the political protests have pushed me away from football.

I literally only watched 2 plays of the SB and feel a lot less stressed. I think unless the Steeler coaches get smarter and the players look to execute 60 minutes a game I will be watching even less football next year.

I have been a hardcore Steeler fan since 1972, even after we moved out of the Burgh to Miami. I am almost over it all now.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Success, I think most here felt next year would be our year for a legit run. This year we got far enough to get our young Def some good experience. We are a couple pieces away (OLB, TE and #2 if MB doesnt come back) from our next ring. We lost the last game to the team who won the SB, same as last year. We are just a step away, and if all works out next season, we will take that step.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    It was a failure with dumb play calling in the AFC Title Game. That and all of the political protests have pushed me away from football.

I literally only watched 2 plays of the SB and feel a lot less stressed. I think unless the Steeler coaches get smarter and the players look to execute 60 minutes a game I will be watching even less football next year.

I have been a hardcore Steeler fan since 1972, even after we moved out of the Burgh to Miami. I am almost over it all now.
    It's just not football any longer. The rules, the commissioner, and the sloppy players today are killing the game. Remember when most WRs could catch the ball? Now they need gloves, but they still can't catch.
    Hater = Realist

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

If they build on this season and get to the SB next year, this season was a success.

If they fall apart and don't make the playoffs, this season was a failure.

I don't like the vibe from the Steelers so far, especially Ben, not so much for his musing on his radio show, but talking to Gilbert on the sideline during the game about retiring is a bit disconcerting. If Ben's mind and heart are not in the game any more, we are toast.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Remember when the forward pass wasn't really a thing? Remember 8 man lines? Leather helmets?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Remember when the forward pass wasn't really a thing? Remember 8 man lines? Leather helmets?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Also wasn't stickum a thing that got so ridiculous that had to ban it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Also wasn't stickum a thing that got so ridiculous that had to ban it?
    Those were the days with Lester Hayes

No, I don't. Do you?
    Hater = Realist

No, I don't. Do you?
    Nope. Just assumed you did. Every single post is about how the game isn't as good as it used to be, players make too much money, mentally soft, or whatever other grumpy old man kick you're on that day.

If it all sucks do much, why watch and comment?

Nope. Just assumed you did. Every single post is about how the game isn't as good as it used to be, players make too much money, mentally soft, or whatever other grumpy old man kick you're on that day.

If it all sucks do much, why watch and comment?

Oh, so you are whining about a meaningless opinion. That sounds about right. If you dislike my comments why read them and/or reply to them? Why not block me? This way your panties don't get into a bunch. Think about it.

By the way, the NFL does suck compared to decades before. I am sorry if that causes your heart despair.
    Hater = Realist

Oh, so you are whining about a meaningless opinion. That sounds about right. If you dislike my comments why read them and/or reply to them? Why not block me? This way your panties don't get into a bunch. Think about it.

By the way, the NFL does suck compared to decades before. I am sorry if that causes your heart despair.
    And cue the only other post you have in your bag. A bit of women hating insults, something about how the world/NFL was better before base on zero evidence (ignoring almost all former players who indicate they couldn't do half the crap players today can pull off), and something about blocking your posts.

Maybe you should sign up? You seem to obsessed with women's underwear and tampons lately? https://xdress.com/

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Shit just got real

And cue the only other post you have in your bag. A bit of women hating insults, something about how the world/NFL was better before base on zero evidence (ignoring almost all former players who indicate they couldn't do half the crap players today can pull off), and something about blocking your posts.

Maybe you should sign up? You seem to obsessed with women's underwear and tampons lately?
    As expected here come the memes to ruin another thread.

Women hating insults? Are you sure you are whining about my posts or another person you have grown attached to on the site?

something about how the world/NFL was better before base on zero evidence
    Funny how a very large number of football fans also agree that the NFL is not as fun and/or interesting to watch as in the past. You can find many of them on this very forum. I get it, you think the NFL is as good as ever, and that's fine, but don't expect everyone to agree with you.

ignoring almost all former players who indicate they couldn't do half the crap players today can pull off
    Except tackle and catch.

Look, you obviously are getting bent out of shape because you are deeply bothered by my posts. For some odd reason you feel you need to continually obsess and whine about them. I get that you are a liberal and you can't help but throw a tantrum when reading meaningless posts on a football forum, but don't you think you would be better off placing me on ignore? It would save you so much stress. Or I guess you can keep crying.
    Hater = Realist

I love that I'm the whining liberal, but you feel the need to post a point by point refutation of my meaningless opinions that are counter to your meaningless opinions. Who is the special snowflake now?

Oh. No. Memes! Modern technology! My small-minded outdated world-view is threatened by new things! Whose panties are bunched and needs to tuck in their string now?

For the record, nothing you say makes me think all that deeply. Nor am I really cut to my core by posts on a message board. You've just chosen to personally attack at least two posters on here the past few days and I think its bullshit. So i chose to poke the bear about and you responded in a predicable manner.

I love that I'm the whining liberal, but you feel the need to post a point by point refutation of my meaningless opinions that are counter to your meaningless opinions. Who is the special snowflake now?

Oh. No. Memes! Modern technology! My small-minded outdated world-view is threatened by new things! Whose panties are bunched and needs to tuck in their string now?

For the record, nothing you say makes me think all that deeply. Nor am I really cut to my core by posts on a message board. You've just chosen to personally attack at least two posters on here the past few days and I think its bullshit. So i chose to poke the bear about and you responded in a predicable manner.
    Yes, I am replying to you point by point. I am trying to help you out. So again, instead of crying about my posts why not place me on ignore? You don't like them so why read them and cause yourself so much stress? Care to explain?

Whose panties are bunched and needs to tuck in their string now
    You. You are still carrying on about my post about how the NFL was better in the past than today. I think the NFL was better in the past and you think otherwise. Big deal. Why does that bother you so much?

nothing you say makes me think all that deeply
    I said bothered deeply.

You've just chosen to personally attack at least two posters on here
    Double standards. I was attacked first and then replied. Try to get the facts straight. Just like how you attacked me first. If you can't take it then don't dish it out.
    Hater = Realist

I'm not stressed. This is entertaining as hell. For the record, I never attacked you personally. I've directed one critical post your way about how you don't like any contracts. I attempted to be light-hearted but sarcastic about it. If you took it wrong - my bad. The other post did not quote you nor did it attempt to directly address your statements. Again, it was an attempt to "troll" the general grumpy vibe around here most days.

Why do conservatives think everything used to be better?

Don't know how to make ironic signature lines!

I'm not stressed. This is entertaining as hell. For the record, I never attacked you personally. I've directed one critical post your way about how you don't like any contracts. I attempted to be light-hearted but sarcastic about it. If you took it wrong - my bad. The other post did not quote you nor did it attempt to directly address your statements. Again, it was an attempt to "troll" the general grumpy vibe around here most days.

Why do conservatives think everything used to be better?
    I am sorry. Yes, I can be a grumpy old man more often than not when it comes to the NFL today. Perhaps I am conflicted with nostalgia.
    Hater = Realist

I am sorry. Yes, I can be a grumpy old man more often than not when it comes to the NFL today. Perhaps I am conflicted with nostalgia.
    Fair enough. I can be a sarcastic ass who is quick to criticize.