Thread: TOP 10 PLAYERS LIKELY TO HIT FREE AGENCY

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

TOP 10 PLAYERS LIKELY TO HIT FREE AGENCY

With the Super Bowl the only remaining NFL game left in the 2016 season, it’s time to begin turning our attention towards the offseason, and in particular, free agency.
    At this time of year, the list of prospective free agents always looks mouth-watering, with names like Steelers RB Le’Veon Bell, Chiefs S Eric Berry, Panthers DT Kawann Short and Redskins QB Kirk Cousins among those slated to hit the open market, but a large portion of the top-end talent will either be re-signed or franchise tagged, keeping them with their current teams and away from the clutches of potential rivals.
    Instead, let’s take a look at 10 of the best players that are more likely to be available once free agency officially opens:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-top-10-players-set-to-hit-free-agency/

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: TOP 10 PLAYERS LIKELY TO HIT FREE AGENCY

Forgot the link?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Forgot the link?
    I see it.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Hmmmm...forvwhatever reason, I can't see it on Tapatalk...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The problem with every player on that list (except Jeffery) is that you are paying FA $$'s right after their "career" year. With absolutely little track record of success and consistent NFL production to support the idea that the player's production will meet or exceed the contract over time.

While most players on this list are only a moderate gamble, these are the kinds of signings that can cripple a franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    The problem with every player on that list (except Jeffery) is that you are paying FA $$'s right after their "career" year. With absolutely little track record of success and consistent NFL production to support the idea that the player's production will meet or exceed the contract over time.

While most players on this list are only a moderate gamble, these are the kinds of signings that can cripple a franchise.
    Which is probably why we never see the Steelers involved in FA that heavily. As much as I'd like to see them active now and then, the Rooneys' track record for running a franchise is a difficult one with which to argue.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

A.J. Bouye and Melvin Ingram.

Our defense needs a STUD edge rusher. and also needs to learn how to play tight bump and run man coverage . I believe getting CB talent out of FA is more valuable since they already have a resume playing against the NFL caliber WRs and QBs.

So summation : Go after the CB

the only one I would actually consider taking here.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Expect a free agency where the team re-signs Bell and hands out extensions for guys like Brown, Tuitt, Cockrell.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

We need to go after Ingram. Just on that tier below super stardom but a damn good player. $8 million/year?

Seriously guys, how many years do we have left with Ben? How long can we expect it to take a pass rusher we draft to play at a high level? Id prefer to just get an instant plug and play pass rusher now and pay the consequences later. James Harrison, Bud Dupree, Melvin Ingram, and a high draft pick pass rusher will be a very dangerous pass rush platoon. Now theres something we havent had in a long time
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    We need to go after Ingram. Just on that tier below super stardom but a damn good player. $8 million/year?

Seriously guys, how many years do we have left with Ben? How long can we expect it to take a pass rusher we draft to play at a high level? Id prefer to just get an instant plug and play pass rusher now and pay the consequences later. James Harrison, Bud Dupree, Melvin Ingram, and a high draft pick pass rusher will be a very dangerous pass rush platoon. Now theres something we havent had in a long time
    Admittedly I know very little on how the cap works. I am pretty sure we have a lot of space though so here's my question; is it possible for us to get Ingram, and still retain Bell/Brown long term? I would love to have Ingram, but I'm not crazy about losing either Bell or Brown.

This is what I hope for...as far as the draft pick, I'm flexible there but I want Ingram.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

If we got Ingram do you think would still draft a LB in the first round. Why not secondary?

They'd probably draft the best available athlete.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

ive never understood this notion that we would struggle to sign Bell and Brown if we went for even 1 bigger than usual free agent. i feel like were all so use to being tight against the cap that we forgot what its like to have some money to spend.
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    If we got Ingram do you think would still draft a LB in the first round. Why not secondary?
    Jarvis Jones in 2013, Ryan Shazier in 2014, Bud Dupree in 2015. Its not like were shying away from it so I certainly hope they dont start now.

I agree with 86Ward..im feeling flexible. As long as we get a good edge rusher not from Alabama or a big athletic tight end that at least shows some blocking ability or a corner who can hold down the slot in man coverage in the 1st, ill be happy.

1. Alabama gives me trust issues with their edge rushing draft busts

2. When you have a back as good as Bell, having a horrid tight blocking is a painful sacrifice in personnel

3. Gay has quietly been kind of an ironman for us and really picked up his play since coming from the Cardinals, but he's 32, declining, and only proficient in zone coverage. Senquez Golson has been on IR 2 seasons in a row, and hes a pure zone corner. This pass defense will be severely neutered if we dont find a slot corner who can also play man

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Melvin Ingram signed a 4 year, $8,398,236 contract with the San Diego Chargers, including a $4,547,808 signing bonus, $7,648,236 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $2,099,559. In 2016, Ingram will earn a base salary of $7,751,000. Ingram has a cap hit of $7,751,000 while his dead money value is $7,751,000.
    Contract: 4 yr(s) / $8,398,236 Signing Bonus $4,547,808 Average Salary$2,099,559 Guaranteed:$7,648,236 Free Agent:2017 / UFA
    Contract: 4 yr(s) / $8,398,236
    Signing Bonus $4,547,808
    Average Salary $2,099,559
    Guaranteed $7,648,236
    Free Agent: 2017 / UFA
    Year Age Base Salary Signing Bonus Roster Bonus Workout Bonus Cap Hit Dead Cap
    2012 22 $390,000 $1,136,952 - - $1,526,952 $7,648,236
    2013 23 $771,738 $1,136,952 - - $1,908,690 $6,121,284
    2014 24 $1,153,476 $1,136,952 - - $2,290,428 $4,212,594
    2015 25 $785,214 $1,136,952 $750,000 - $2,672,166 $1,922,166
    2016 26 $7,751,000 - - - $7,751,000 $7,751,000
    2017 27 UFA
    Contract Notes:
    • $7.61 million guaranteed
    • 2015 Roster Bonus: $750,000
    • 2016 5th year option available (Exercised, guarantees 3/9/16)

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Can't see the link so I don't know what players are there, but I agree that we need top level pass rusher from FA. For the draft, I would be happy with a CB, TE and DL for our top 3 picks (if M Bryant isn't back next season I would even be happy with WR in the top 3). I think we have 3 more years with Ben, especially if we commit (by FA and proper picks) to getting one more ring next year.