Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Steelers 7 round mock drafts

2017 Steelers 7 round mock drafts

I know its early and compensatory picks have not been awarded...but I think its time to start mulling over potential mockdrafts...soooo here we go.

1st Round
    OLB Haason Reddick , Temple 6’1 237 (Huge splash at Senior Bowl..imagine Shazier at OLB)

2nd Round
    TE Bucky Hodges, Virginia Tech 6’6 245 (Incredibly athletic and just scratching at his potential)

3rd Round
    CB Fabian Moreau, UCLA 6’0 205 (Think Ike Taylor...good cover corner but may not intercept a lot of passes)

4th Round
    QB Davis Webb, California 6’5 229 (Good arm...good accuracy...will need coached up but VERY high potential)

5th Round
    RB Jamaal Williams, Brigham Young 6’0 211 (High cut runner who plows through traffic..above average backup)

6th Round
    FS/SS Xavier Woods, Louisiana Tech 5’11 203 (Hard hitting safety with great work ethic)

7th Round
    WR Jamari Staples, Louisville 6’3 190 (Under-rated project with high ceiling)
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: 2017 Steelers 7 round mock drafts

Round 1 Pick 30: Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford (B+)
    Round 2 Pick 30: Gerald Everett, TE, South Alabama (B)
    Round 3 Pick 30: Anthony Walker Jr., ILB, Northwestern (B)
    Round 4 Pick 29: Nathan Peterman, QB, Pittsburgh (A)
    Round 5 Pick 29: Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma (B+)
    Round 5 Pick 36: Jake Elliott, K, Memphis (B-)
    Round 6 Pick 29: Tashawn Bower, OLB, LSU (B-)
    Round 7 Pick 30: D.J. Jones, DT, Ole Miss (B+)

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    I know its early and compensatory picks have not been awarded...but I think its time to start mulling over potential mockdrafts...soooo here we go.

1st Round
    OLB Haason Reddick , Temple 6’1 237 (Huge splash at Senior Bowl..imagine Shazier at OLB)

2nd Round
    TE Bucky Hodges, Virginia Tech 6’6 245 (Incredibly athletic and just scratching at his potential)

3rd Round
    CB Fabian Moreau, UCLA 6’0 205 (Think Ike Taylor...good cover corner but may not intercept a lot of passes)

4th Round
    QB Davis Webb, California 6’5 229 (Good arm...good accuracy...will need coached up but VERY high potential)
    I really like your top four.

I have Reddick as my R1 pick, and Webb as my R3 pick.

Everyone is is gonna mock Hodges.

Moreau is the third CB that I have in the mix with Damontae Kazee and Rasul Douglas. I can't decide which one to mock.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I'd love to have Reddick in round 1. Versatility and great pass rusher

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    A RB in the first round? Why?

A kicker? No pass rusher until the 6th round? No DBs?

Not necessarily knocking your picks because we all know the draft is a crap chute, but those are some odd positional picks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I'd love to have Reddick in round 1. Versatility and great pass rusher
    I see him more as an ILB. I don't think he has the functional strength or length to be a consistent pass rusher in the NFL.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    A RB in the first round? Why?

A kicker? No pass rusher until the 6th round? No DBs?

Not necessarily knocking your picks because we all know the draft is a crap chute, but those are some odd positional picks.

- - - Updated - - -

I see him more as an ILB. I don't think he has the functional strength or length to be a consistent pass rusher in the NFL.
    This was actually off one of those draft generator games. I just took BPA each round and ended up with a draft that I thought looked interesting. So I shared.

I haven't done nearly enough research to make my own mock at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I really like your top four.

I have Reddick as my R1 pick, and Webb as my R3 pick.

Everyone is is gonna mock Hodges.

Moreau is the third CB that I have in the mix with Damontae Kazee and Rasul Douglas. I can't decide which one to mock.
    I think Kazee has great instincts but also some size/quickness limitations. I really like Douglas....pretty underrated player who has the potential to climb draft boards.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Reddick is rumored (By beat writer Bruce Feldman) to bench press over 400 lbs..plus a 4.47 40 time, 10-foot-10-inch broad jump, and 36-inch vertical leap.

He is also an inch taller than James Harrison and has longer arms.

-- Jack Lambert --

Let me try doing one that fits more to the conversation here.

Rd 1 Charles Harris OLB Missouri
    Rd 2 Cordrea Tankersley CB Clemson
    Rd 3 Chad Kelly QB Ole Miss
    Rd 4 Carroll Phillips OLB Illinois
    Rd 5 Jeremy Sprinkle TE Arkansas
    Rd 6 Marlon Mack RB South Florida
    Rd 7 Marquez White CB Florida State

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I think Kazee has great instincts but also some size/quickness limitations. I really like Douglas....pretty underrated player who has the potential to climb draft boards.
    KAZEE:
    Indeed. His size will limit him.

But, as I said about Jason Varrett, I'd rather have a CB give up 3 inches in height, but be on the hip of a receiver... than be 3 inches taller and trail the receiver by five feet.

DOUGLAS:
    My parents are WVU alums... so, I'm kind of biased.

Really though, he's better than Daryl Worley (who starts for Carolina).

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

love the Woods pick
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Reddick is rumored (By beat writer Bruce Feldman) to bench press over 400 lbs..plus a 4.47 40 time, 10-foot-10-inch broad jump, and 36-inch vertical leap.

He is also an inch taller than James Harrison and has longer arms.
    I have been watching some videos on him. He looks pretty good. He will most likely be gone by 30. If he is there I say take him.

Thanks for the stats.
    Hater = Realist

Haason Reddick, OLB, Temple
    Height: 6-1. Weight: 230.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.62.
    Projected Round (2017): 3-5.

1/14/17: Reddick earned an invitation to the Senior Bowl with a strong 2016 season. On the year, he totaled 65 tackles with 22.5 tackles for a loss, 10.5 sacks, three forced fumbles and three passes broken up. Reddick doesn't have the size to be an every-down edge rusher in the NFL, so he will have to move to a more traditional outside linebacker position that blitzes off the edge at times.
    Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2017O...17B0fyEPqSe.99

I'll go watch some highlights but looking at his measurable he's a bit light and short for what we usually put at OLB. Unless you guys are thinking of his cover skills, which again, I'll need to watch some tape on him. Right now looks like a guy we could get in the 3rd.

I'd play Reddick at ILB.

He is a phenomenal pass-rusher from the inside. Think of how Timmons was lighting it up towards the end of the season. Reddick is that same guy.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

The more I think about a TE in the 1st, the less I mind it. Can't rely on Green and James could be upgraded. A safety valve for Ben/Ben's young replacement could really help. That being said I still prefer OLB and DB over TE in the 1st

Haason Reddick, OLB, Temple
    Height: 6-1. Weight: 230.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.62.
    Projected Round (2017): 3-5.

1/14/17: Reddick earned an invitation to the Senior Bowl with a strong 2016 season. On the year, he totaled 65 tackles with 22.5 tackles for a loss, 10.5 sacks, three forced fumbles and three passes broken up. Reddick doesn't have the size to be an every-down edge rusher in the NFL, so he will have to move to a more traditional outside linebacker position that blitzes off the edge at times.
    Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2017O...17B0fyEPqSe.99

I'll go watch some highlights but looking at his measurable he's a bit light and short for what we usually put at OLB. Unless you guys are thinking of his cover skills, which again, I'll need to watch some tape on him. Right now looks like a guy we could get in the 3rd.
    Found this write up by Jeremiah:
    Reddick primarily lined up at outside linebacker at Temple but projects as an inside linebacker in the NFL. He has ideal size, instincts, versatility, and explosiveness. Against the run, he is quick to shoot his hands, hold the point of attack, and locate the football. He does hang on blocks too long at times. He will benefit from playing off the line of scrimmage, allowing him to use the extra runway to thud off blockers and quickly free himself to make tackles. He shows tremendous burst, effort, and range from the backside. He is a very skilled blitzer. He has a nifty dip-rip move and excels at avoiding running backs on the way to the passer. He has the speed and agility to match up with backs and tight ends in man coverage. Overall, Reddick is a three-down linebacker with the versatility to play inside or outside depending on the scheme or game plan.

I have been watching videos of the top 10 3-4 edge rushers. So far all-around Ryan Anderson looks the best, IMO. As we all know he could also be a complete bust. It's a deep class this year for 3-4 edge rushers, but does anyone really stick out?
    Hater = Realist

I have been watching videos of the top 10 3-4 edge rushers. So far all-around Ryan Anderson looks the best, IMO. As we all know he could also be a complete bust. It's a deep class this year for 3-4 edge rushers, but does anyone really stick out?
    Good point. He's not the "best" pass rusher, but he's good at it. He's not the "best" in coverage, but he's good at it. He's not the "best" at anything, but he's good at everything.

It reminds me of 2015, when everyone was high on Shane Ray's pass-rush abilities, but Markus Golden was actually the more well-rounded OLB.

Shane Ray : Tim Williams :: Markus Golden : Ryan Anderson

Watch tape of Trey Hendrickson and tell me what you think.

2017 NFL Draft Player Profiles: Temple OLB Haason Reddick
    By Alex Kozora February 1, 2017 at 09:30 am

We’re back again breaking down prospects for the 2017 NFL Draft, set to kick off on April 27th through the 29th. Our goal this season is to write reports on at least 150 players and hopefully, as many as 200. It will, of course, have a focus on Pittsburgh Steelers’ wants and needs but we will look big-picture too at the best players in this year’s draft.

If there’s a player you would like us to breakdown, let us know in the comments below.

Haason Reddick/OLB Temple: 6’1/4 237

The Good

– Great first step and best way to win as a pass rusher
    – Ability to flatten the edge, hip/ankle flexibility to corner and get upfield
    – Sideline to sideline range against the run, hard to outrun
    – Skilled in coverage, fluid in drops, ability to spot drop or stay in-phase in man coverage
    – Versatile, wore a lot of hats, capable of playing strong/weak, two or three point stance, and experience off ball during Senior Bowl
    – Gives chase to the ball, doesn’t loaf, even if play is away from him
    – Technically sound against the run, fits are good, makes up for lack of size/length
    – Appears to have high football IQ who can handle high amount of information with ease

The Bad

– Undersized, lacks length (32 1/8 inch arms), and won’t overwhelm with power
    – Predictably isn’t great at converting speed to power and will predominantly win around the edge
    – Viewed by some as a tweener without true position, may have to move off ball, creates more projection
    – Lacks go-to counter move off speed rush

Bio

– Two year starter for Owls
    – 2016: 22.5 TFL, 9 sacks, 3 FF
    – First-Team All-AAC selection
    – Career: 46 TFL, 18 sacks
    – Had no offers out of high school due to injury, went to Temple as preferred walk-on before earning scholarship
    – Began college career as cornerback before moving to DE/OLB

Tape Breakdown

Reddick was a guy I liked watching him prior to the Senior Bowl but after Mobile, he became one of the unquestioned stars. Talk to anyone who was down there for the week of practice and they’ll tell you he was one of the top five players – period – there. And the best edge rusher.

What was impressive about that week was the move to play off ball linebacker, something he had never done before, while getting reps on the edge. The move felt seamless for him and he was arguably the best inside guy there. He’s got incredible range because he’s a top athlete in his first step and long speed. But there’s another component to, his football IQ and ability to diagnose and read his keys. To make the move inside and excel there is a testament to that.

But I like to focus on him as an EDGE rusher. That’s what he did at Temple, that’s where he excelled, and if you’re going to draft him, it should be as a pass rusher first. That’s where Reddick succeeds.

Read More:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/02...aason-reddick/

-- Jack Lambert --

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Good point. He's not the "best" pass rusher, but he's good at it. He's not the "best" in coverage, but he's good at it. He's not the "best" at anything, but he's good at everything.

It reminds me of 2015, when everyone was high on Shane Ray's pass-rush abilities, but Markus Golden was actually the more well-rounded OLB.

Shane Ray : Tim Williams :: Markus Golden : Ryan Anderson

Watch tape of Trey Hendrickson and tell me what you think.
    Trey Hendrickson looks solid. I think Taco Charleton will be a star. We have a couple OSU guys on this defense, may be time to add in some UM as well.

Let me try doing one that fits more to the conversation here.

Rd 1 Charles Harris OLB Missouri
    Rd 2 Cordrea Tankersley CB Clemson
    Rd 3 Chad Kelly QB Ole Miss
    Rd 4 Carroll Phillips OLB Illinois
    Rd 5 Jeremy Sprinkle TE Arkansas
    Rd 6 Marlon Mack RB South Florida
    Rd 7 Marquez White CB Florida State
    Another mock game

Round 1 Pick 30: Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan (B+)
    Round 2 Pick 30: Obi Melifonwu, SS, Connecticut (B+)
    Round 3 Pick 30: Carroll Phillips, OLB, Illinois (C-)
    Round 4 Pick 29: Jeremy Sprinkle, TE, Arkansas (B-)
    Round 5 Pick 29: Corn Elder, CB, Miami (Fla.) (A)
    Round 5 Pick 36: C.J. Beathard, QB, Iowa (D+)
    Round 7 Pick 30: Jake Elliott, K, Memphis (A+)

Round 1 Pick 30: Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford (A)
    Round 2 Pick 30: Adoree' Jackson, CB, Southern California (B+)
    Round 3 Pick 30: Marcus Maye, FS, Florida (A)
    Round 5 Pick 29: DeAngelo Brown, DT, Louisville (A+)
    Round 5 Pick 36 (COMP): Dylan Donahue, OLB, West Georgia (B+)
    Round 6 Pick 29: Xavier Woods, SS, Louisiana Tech (B-)
    Round 7 Pick 30: Shelton Gibson, WR, West Virginia (A)

I think I like this one a lot.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Round 1 Pick 30: Sidney Jones, CB, Washington
    Round 2 Pick 30: T.J. Watt, OLB, Wisconsin
    Round 3 Pick 30: Justin Evans, SS, Texas A&M
    Round 4 Pick 29: Ejuan Price, OLB, Pittsburgh
    Round 5 Pick 29: Ryan Switzer, WR, North Carolina
    Round 5 Pick 36 (COMP): Brian Hill, RB, Wyoming
    Round 6 Pick 29: Stevie Tuikolovatu, DT, Southern California
    Round 7 Pick 30: George Kittle, TE, Iowa

Munch is going to get his pick in this draft but I don't know where.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Sorry guys, been gone a while. I really haven't had time this year to study players like I should so will not insult you by putting out a mock that would be a wild guess. How ever there is one player I have seen that I like very much, Obi Melifonwu, SS, Conn. Right now probably a 2nd rounder, but his size, speed, and strong showing at the combines will likely move him up some.

Like several of you I also like Reddick, I too see him inside, but don't think we will anywhere close to him.

AML

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

great to see you post ED !

My first Steeler mock without a generator. Based on visits, need, BPA, and probable availability. At this time anyway.

1. Carl Lawson OLB
    2. Cameron Sutton CB
    3. Nathan Peterman QB
    3b. Rasul Douglas CB
    4. Isaac Asiata OG/C
    5. Michael Roberts TE
    6. Shelton Gibson WR
    7. Weston Steelhammer Safety with the coolest name in the draft.

1. OLB Takkarist McKinley, UCLA, 6’2 250
    Quick twitch athlete with incredible burst off the ball. Lots of OLB talent at end of the first round with Watt, Harris, Lawson...etc

2. CB Kevin King, Washington, 6’3 200
    possibly the best size/speed cornerback prospect in this draft. Adoree' Jackson is a possibility here based on sheer athleticism and versatility.

3. WR Amara Darboh, Michigan, 6’2 214
    Underrated WR with good size, great speed and elite hand eye coordination. Great possession receiver and tough competitor

3. QB Nathan Peterman, Pittsburgh, 6’2 226
    Doesn't have the elite size of some pro quarterbacks. However, Peterman played in a pro style offense and showed that he can make all the throws. Strong arm and good field vision. Good production

4. TE Jeremy Sprinkle, Arkansas, 6’5 252
    Sprinkle may be my favorite TE this year. I think he hasn't yet reached his full potential but already shows flashes of being the most well-rounded TE in this draft. I think he is a steal as a 4th rounder and wouldn't be surprised to see a team pull the trigger on him in the 3rd.

5. SS Jadar Johnson, Clemson, 6’0 206
    Instant special teamer with the ability to start as a defensive back in the near future. Would benefit from learning the ropes under a vet for a year or two. Has all the tools but will need to polish his skills for the pro game.

6. RB T.J. Logan, North Carolina, 5’9 196
    Perfect player to be a change of pace back for Bell. Not big enough to be a starter in this league but can step in as a third down back and use his 4.37 speed to punish a tiring defense. Versatile player who can be used on kickoff returns.

7. ILB Tanner Vallejo, Boise State, 6’1 228
    Project player who missed games last year to have surgery on his wrist. Tough...played through pain for most of the year. Finished his career with 36 tackles-for-loss. As a sophomore, he was the defensive MVP of both the Mountain West championship game and the Fiesta Bowl
    Last edited by LLT; 03-26-2017 at 11:10 AM.

-- Jack Lambert --

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Round 1 Pick 30: Sidney Jones, CB, Washington
    Round 2 Pick 30: T.J. Watt, OLB, Wisconsin
    Round 3 Pick 30: Justin Evans, SS, Texas A&M
    Round 4 Pick 29: Ejuan Price, OLB, Pittsburgh
    Round 5 Pick 29: Ryan Switzer, WR, North Carolina
    Round 5 Pick 36 (COMP): Brian Hill, RB, Wyoming
    Round 6 Pick 29: Stevie Tuikolovatu, DT, Southern California
    Round 7 Pick 30: George Kittle, TE, Iowa

Munch is going to get his pick in this draft but I don't know where.
    I think Kittle is going to go before the 4th round . . . of course, I just noted you posted this Feb. 20. So yeah, long before him being hyped. Nevertheless, I'd be very excited about that draft, and with Jones being inured, I think there's a chance we do get him at 30.

Mock Draft 2.0 based on visits, needs, and tendencies

Rd1: Jarrad Davis ILB, Florida. Davis can play the run and is pretty good in coverage.

Rd2: Cameron Sutton CB, Tennessee. Good size and speed. Can play off or man.

Rd3a: Kenny Golladay WR, NIU (Previous Nathan Peterman QB, Pitt) Big, Fast WR with great hands.

Rd3b: Carl Lawson OLB, Auburn (Previous Rasul Douglas CB, West Virginia) Lawson can only slide so far before he's a steal in the 3rd comp.

Rd4: Kareem Hunt RB, Toledo Big and fast. Not an every down guy but great in the passing game as well.

Rd5: Jourdan Lewis CB, Michigan. Excellent slot CB. Due to domestic violence charges falls. Another draft steal.

Rd6: Mack Hollins WR, N.Carolina. Another tall, speedy WR for BB to throw to.

Rd7: Lorenzo Jerome Safety, St.Francis. Poor 40 time drops him to the 7th. The Steelers receive another gift with early round ball skills.

1 ILB Jarrad Davis, Florida
    Not our greatest area of need, but I see such a drop off in ILB talent in the later rounds that this pick could end up being Davis if the Steelers have him rated equal to or higher than the likes of OLB's Lawson and McKinley

2 OLB Derek Rivers, Youngstown St.
    Rivers doesn't have the health or character issues of most of the OLB's rated above him. He would fall into the perfect situation as a backup his first year to get acclimated to the pro game and learn to play at NFL speed. Joey Porter attended his Pro Day and Rivers was invited to Pittsburgh for a personal workout.

3a CB Ahkello Witherspoon, Colorado
    The Steelers were well represented at Colorado's Pro Day. Ahkello possesses an elite size/speed combination at 6'3 and runs a 4.45 forty. Tied for the national lead in passes defended with 22.

3b QB Nathan Peterman, Pittsburgh
    Other Quarterbacks have grabbed the spotlight while some QB's like Peterman have their profiles peeled apart like an onion. The truth is; Mahomes is "probably" the second QB off the board and that is going to start a run on signal callers. I don't foresee a scenario in which round/value meet until the third with Peterman or possibly Brad Kaaya, who I think is overrated. Peterman ran a pro style offense (which is HUGE) and though he doesn't have the strongest arm in the game, he goes through his progressions better than any QB I have watched tape on this year. Sometimes loses poise when line protection breaks down but I'm interested in seeing what he can do with a very good offensive line.

4 S Xavier Woods, Louisiana Tech
    I liked Xavier Woods when he was still considered a 6-7 round prospect. He is climbing boards and I think the 4th round is better suited to his skill set. Team player and high character prospect who spends a lot of time studying film on the next weeks opponent. Excels at tackling in an age where players throw themselves at ball carriers.

5 TE Jeremy Sprinkle TE Arkansas
    One of my favorite players in this draft. All around tight end who has better speed than advertised and is not afraid to block. He is not the second coming of Heath Miller but throwback tight ends like Sprinkle are way undervalued in todays NFL.

6 RB T.J Logan, North Carolina
    Dual threat as a third down back and as a returner. Possesses 4.37 speed. Logan is too small to be a feature back in the NFL but with a little coaching and tweak of technique, he could be a true contributor. Colbert was at the North Carolina Pro Day...so he is very familiar with Logan's attributes and his value as a 6th rounder.

7 WR Francis Owusu WR Stanford
    The Steelers were also at Stanford's Pro Day, but didn't reveal who they were there for (most probably Christian McCaffrey) . The 6'2 Owusa shocked everyone with a blazing 4.38 forty and 39 inch vertical. The Stanford project didn't put up big stats in college, but has the measurables to convince teams to take a flyer on a developmental prospect.

-- Jack Lambert --