Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Ben said that he won't commit to coming back next season..Implies he's open to retirement.

Senior Member Array title="PalmerSteel is on a distinguished road"> PalmerSteel's Avatar

Re: Ben said that he won't commit to coming back next season..Implies he's open to retirement.

The Bus did the exact same thing after 2004 championship loss. Ben came to him and begged for one more year that he will get him his ring. Thats what Ben wants from his teammates to come to him. He wants that love in return to give that extra boost of focus for all.
    "I think they can count on me. And I want them to be able to count on me."
    ~ Big Ben Roethlisberger, 2005

Banned Array title="LloydWoodson is a glorious beacon of light">

Re: Ben said that he won't commit to coming back next season..Implies he's open to retirement.

Personally I find Ben's remarks highly irritating. Ideally the QB wants to build on the momentum of having made the AFC Championship with a very young team and make at least one more Super Bowl run. Instead he talks about his health and family. He isn't Aikman or Young with a history of concussions. The only concussion I recall he had was in 2011.

Ironically Ben is taking fewer hits now than he ever has in his career. He has been sacked 37 times in the last 2 seasons combined by far the lowest in his career.

Ben was sacked 215 times in 5 years with Arians and 142 times in 5 years with Haley. Haley saved him from being hit at least 150 times compared to the offense Ben wanted to run.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LloydWoodson View Post
    He isn't Aikman or Young with a history of concussions. The only concussion I recall he had was in 2011.
    Three others I recall

Atlanta 2006 - Cowher played him the next week and Ben threw multiple picks in Oakland after he was questionable to play

KC 2009 - Ben did not play the next week in Baltimore and Hines Ward called him out on national TV for not playing

Seattle 2015

As far as not getting pounded as much in recent years, the wear and tear is cumulative and old injuries cause problems later in life. Ben did not take a big hit in the Miami game where he hurt his knee this season but as you get older your body simply breaks down

This article on Earl Campbell is an example

Earl Campbell, one of the most celebrated football heroes in Texas, leaned on a metal walker and shuffled to the front of his office last week to greet visitors.He said he has had both knees replaced and had four back surgeries and battled substance abuse since his playing career ended three decades ago.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...fame/97258738/

I think Ben will be back but at some point you are tired of getting hit

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Here's my issue and I think someone else mentioned to as well...

If Ben even has an inkling of retiring, I don't want to see him trot out there half-assed with his head not in the game and just going through the motions.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by salamander View Post
    Here's my issue and I think someone else mentioned to as well...

If Ben even has an inkling of retiring, I don't want to see him trot out there half-assed with his head not in the game and just going through the motions.
    Still better than whatever they would replace him with...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Still better than whatever they would replace him with...lol.
    Exactly.

BB could play Mario Cart on the sidelines and still play better than Landry Jones (who, from what I've heard ad nauseum, reeeally knows the playbook).

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Ben is trying to wake up the youngsters. AB especially should be on high alert now. Since when Ben is not under center he seems to vanish as well.