Thread: WR Chris Hogan Says Patriots Knew Steelers Defense Would Play A Lot Of Zone

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

WR Chris Hogan Says Patriots Knew Steelers Defense Would Play A Lot Of Zone

Sometimes I wonder what planet Tomlin is on.

"Brady, by the way, has now completed 185 of his 258 total pass attempts for 2,273 yards and 21 touchdowns against the Steelers while Tomlin has been the head coach. He has zero interceptions in those seven games."

The Pittsburgh Steelers defense played a lot of zone coverage Sunday against the New England Patriots in the AFC Championship game and that game plan failed miserably.

During his Monday interview on SiriusXM NFL Radio, Patriots wide receiver Chris Hogan, who caught nine passes against the Steelers for 180 yards and two touchdowns, talked about New England’s offensive game plan going into Sunday’s game.
    “We knew that they were going to be playing a lot of zones and that just goes back to all the preparation that we put in during the week,” Hogan said. “We put in our game plan (which) was to beat zone. And (offensive coordinator) Josh (McDaniels) made some really good calls and Tom (Brady), and the offensive line gave him some time and he found the open guy.”
    More here..
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/01...play-lot-zone/

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: WR Chris Hogan Says Patriots Knew Steelers Defense Would Play A Lot Of Zone

New England didn't need to cheat after all. They have a stooge who was all too willing to accomodate them.

Tomlin made Josh McDaniels look like a genius. Congratulations playing Patsy to the Pats again, Mike.

Tomlin is what he is. A Cheerleader.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Shocker...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    "Brady, by the way, has now completed 185 of his 258 total pass attempts for 2,273 yards and 21 touchdowns against the Steelers while Tomlin has been the head coach. He has zero interceptions in those seven games."
    If you stretch those numbers over a 16 game season, a QB would probably have the greatest statistical season in the history of the game.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Chris Hogan, Hulk Hogan, you could put any scrub at WR for the Cheats and they would shred the Steelers scheme.

Butler and LeBeau are masochists. Just beat my ass over and over again.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

The only way they could have known that is by spying and cheating....

Lolololol

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    The only way they could have known that is by spying and cheating....

Lolololol
    Or just look at the Steelers film versus the Patriots for the last 15 years...

:dunno:

Banned Array title="LloydWoodson is a glorious beacon of light">

Quote Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
    If you stretch those numbers over a 16 game season, a QB would probably have the greatest statistical season in the history of the game.
    423/589 72% 5,195 48 TDs 0 INTs 125.6 rating

Thank God Tomlin is s DB coach/DC! Could you imagine the numbers Brady would put up if secondary play wasn't Tomlin's specialty?! Haha

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Tomlin needs to learn that he can change a game plan.....DURING A GAME ! He's the HEAD COACH ! Was he not watching what the Pat's were doing !

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

During his post-game press conference, head coach Mike Tomlin was reminded about the Steelers game against the Patriots during the 2011 regular season in which his defense used a lot of press-man coverage to stifle Brady and the Patriots offensive passing attack. He was then asked if there was any thought of doing something similar to that Sunday night.

“Obviously, you know, you weigh those options in preparation. We stand by what we did in the game, we just didn’t do it well enough,” Tomlin said.

No, no you didn’t, Mike.
    Why use something that works when you can use a proven failure of a game plan.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

As I said in another thread, the Steelers turned gold into lead.

Since Dupree returned/Harrison was given the starting role, the Steelers led the league in sacks. Brady does not like pressure. Perfect... we will drop those two players into coverage.

Wait... what???

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Like I said in another thread. That 2011 game plan was an accident. It has to be because they haven't come close to doing it again.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

How does Chris Hogan know? Obviously we didn't even know.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    As I said in another thread, the Steelers turned gold into lead.

Since Dupree returned/Harrison was given the starting role, the Steelers led the league in sacks. Brady does not like pressure. Perfect... we will drop those two players into coverage.

Wait... what???
    Not only that but Dupree and Harrison are on the level that Clowney is and the Texans ran stunts and pressured the Patriots up,the middle. The Steelers didn't even approach the middle...I don't remember seeing them run a stunt or anything up the middle. The game plan was there...Houston set it up on a silver platter...probably wouldn't has been as easy for the Steelers as it was for the Texans because you would think Belichick would invest some time in correcting that, but to not even attempt a rush up the middle or not even test a stunt...it's a major gaffe imo.

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Not only that but Dupree and Harrison are on the level that Clowney is and the Texans ran stunts and pressured the Patriots up,the middle. The Steelers didn't even approach the middle...I don't remember seeing them run a stunt or anything up the middle. The game plan was there...Houston set it up on a silver platter...probably wouldn't has been as easy for the Steelers as it was for the Texans because you would think Belichick would invest some time in correcting that, but to not even attempt a rush up the middle or not even test a stunt...it's a major gaffe imo.
    You say that like you are kind of surprised. You may have inadvertently started following another team other than the steelers.

Not adjusting is status quo. Impose your will.

Quote Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
    You say that like you are kind of surprised. You may have inadvertently started following another team other than the steelers.

Not adjusting is status quo. Impose your will.
    I'm not surprised...I was one of the "Debbie downers" who thought the Steelers would lose and they pretty much lost the way I thought they would by getting beaten the exact same way they always did. But I did have a little glimmer of hope that I was just being negative to lessen the blow and if I was wrong, even better. I had some hope that they may have watched film and adjusted properly. Clearly and obviously, they didn't.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I'll pile on...

Shazier & Timmons are outstanding pass rushers from the inside... yet, I don't recall seeing those two rush very often, and when they did, it wasn't a stunt; they just ran into the line.

I did see Sean Davis blitz. Once.

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

Absolutely maddening to watch.

I don't think Brady worked up a sweat the whole day. He actually looked kind of bored sitting back in the pocket. Like he was lounging back eating grapes and just flicking the ball where ever he wanted...... at will.

Improving the pass rush must be priority #1 in the upcoming draft.
    "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Support Steelers Universe with a Donation via PayPal !

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru....php?do=donate

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

I think Tomlin wants to stick with what the Steelers do instead of adapting with a game plan. Belichick has him beat before we even take the field. Bel takes away the biggest threat and makes the other team beat them with second tier players.

I think Tomlin shakes a Magic 8-Ball sometimes.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

To be fair, Steelers took away Pats best offensive weapons in Edelman and Blount. I don't think many thought Hogan was the one man wrecking crew to watch going in to the game. Patriots stymied Steelers pass rush and their 2nd and 3rd options made massive plays. Steelers gave Ben time and his 2nd and 3rd and 4th options wilted in the limelight.

Hogan pretty much just ran the routes that Gronk would run.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

I still can't understand the thought of playing zone against Brady?? The numbers alone tell you to play man!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    To be fair, Steelers took away Pats best offensive weapons in Edelman and Blount. I don't think many thought Hogan was the one man wrecking crew to watch going in to the game. Patriots stymied Steelers pass rush and their 2nd and 3rd options made massive plays. Steelers gave Ben time and his 2nd and 3rd and 4th options wilted in the limelight.
    Well put:
    Our 2nd & 3rd defenders could not beat their 2nd & 3rd offensive players.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steel striker View Post
    I still can't understand the thought of playing zone against Brady?? The numbers alone tell you to play man!!
    What numbers? Where are all these #'s that show Brady stinking against man coverages? Where are all these man coverage defenses around the NFL?

The actual #'s are about pressure. Pressure and moving Brady around the pocket to break the timing of the Pats offense.

But again, let's not let actual facts get in the way of ranting on an internet message board.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    That's a good way to put it. Blount got a few at the end, but the game was pretty much over at that point. The Pats were actually being considerate and trying to work the clock. In years passed they would have ran that score right on up and mocked us while doing it.