Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whoever decided to play zone defense should be fired

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Whoever decided to play zone defense should be fired

Everyone (experts, broadcasters, fans) knew that Brady can carve up the zone defense. Houston Texans put up a fight last week playing man to man.

So what do we play? Zone defense.

It would have been better to just have forfeited the game than make us watch the same painful dissection over again.

I don't understand how any coach on the Steelers who decided to play zone defense still has a job on Monday unless their job is to blow Art Rooney III

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Re: Whoever decided to play zone defense should be fired

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post
    Everyone (experts, broadcasters, fans) knew that Brady can carve up the zone defense. Houston Texans put up a fight last week playing man to man.

It would have been better to just have forfeited the game than make us watch the same painful dissection over again.

I don't understand how any coach on the Steelers who decided to play zone defense still has a job on Monday unless their job is to blow Art Rooney III
    Blame lays on Tomlin or Butler or both. I personally think Butler is a joke and only knows Zone and should have never been hired!

- - - Updated - - -

Ps. blame also lays on whoever decided to hire Butler!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Tomlin is the boss. Worst game plan I've ever seen.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Butler was earmarked for LeBeau's job when Cowher was still around, IIRC.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Pretty much. I remember Butler getting offers elsewhere but being talked (or promised the job) into staying

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

IMO, the Steelers out thought themselves.

They did not do what they had been doing so well during that nine-game win streak. It was as if they were afraid that Belichick would figure their defense out; so they changed it up. Belichick didn't need to figure anything out; the Steelers turned gold into lead on their own.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    See there is the problem and hire someone who will make a difference and better the team. This stupid bs of giving people a chance cause they put there time in is bs and always 9 times out of 10 ruins everything!

Banned Array title="LloydWoodson is a glorious beacon of light">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    IMO, the Steelers out thought themselves.

They did not do what they had been doing so well during that nine-game win streak. It was as if they were afraid that Belichick would figure their defense out; so they changed it up. Belichick didn't need to figure anything out; the Steelers turned gold into lead on their own.
    I agree with this.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

agree

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

I
    MO, the Steelers out thought themselves.

Belichick can "figure out" whatever he wants. That doesn't mean anything. That Offenses' Achilles Heel for years is pressure Defense. Get physical with their receivers and force Brady to move.

They played right into their hands. Again.

Hmmm. Atlanta is playing man to man.

I wonder if any of the dumbass Steelers coaches are paying attention.

In any case they should still be fired for being stoopid or being too stubborn to not change and adapt.

Junior Member Array title="tube68 is an unknown quantity at this point">

The Cheats** bandwagon is unloading now

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

In any case they should still be fired for being stoopid or being too stubborn to not change and adapt.
    That lacrosse player that carved the Steelers Shower Curtain Defense up for 160 yards, looks like a lacrosse player today.

Either the Steelers hope that some other team beats the Pats so we don't have to face them in the playoffs or we hire a real defensive coach with some brains and balls

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Was 180...no?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

And I don't want to hear any bullshit from Butler about how he's "learned" from the Pats loss - the Steelers should not have trusted the job to this amateur who's still learning on the job

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Either the Steelers hope that some other team beats the Pats so we don't have to face them in the playoffs or we hire a real defensive coach with some brains and balls
    Tomlin was content with the game plan. Should he stay?

The problem is either player talent or the coaching.
    Hater = Realist

If Tomlin was the one that decided to play zone then he should be fired.

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

And I don't want to hear any bullshit from Butler about how he's "learned" from the Pats loss - the Steelers should not have trusted the job to this amateur who's still learning on the job
    The problem I have is that he had the job uncontested probably 10 years before he even got the job. How do you know you hired the best guy for the position when there is no competition for the position?

I think he can be a good coach eventually. However, he needs to separate himself from everything Dick Lebeau taught him. Especially when it comes to the Patriots and Brady.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Tomlin was content with the game plan. Should he stay?

The problem is either player talent or the coaching.
    It can't be a player problem if you are running the same junk against the same player (Brady) that hasn't worked over a span of almost 20 years.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

And how did that work out for Atlanta?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Whew. Good thing they played whatever coverages those were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    And how did that work out for Atlanta?
    A lot better than pretty much laying down and letting Brady do what he wants. The Falcons played well. I doubt the Steelers would have beaten the Falcons. They would have played a weak zone and Ryan would have eaten up.
    Hater = Realist

ShIt is fix guys and why would Atlanta in field goal range with under 5 minutes to go, already up 8 not continue to run the ball and eat up clock and kick the field goal and game over ? Instead they decide to pass and have Ryan run 15 yards backwards and take a sack.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    A lot better than pretty much laying down and letting Brady do what he wants. The Falcons played well. I doubt the Steelers would have beaten the Falcons. They would have played a weak zone and Ryan would have eaten up.
    NOPE, you can't back up now. You said in another thread, not winning the SB is a failure. Atlanta failed, just like we did. How doesn't matter, facts don't matter, only the final score matters. Atlanta was up 25pts with 2mins to go in the 3rd. If that were the Steelers, we would have been able to run the clock out. So quit your piling on of how terrible the Steelers are. You are a horrible fan.

hahaha, some of you are hysterical. At least Falcons tried something that worked for a bit while Butler/Lebeau sticks with what everyone on the planet knows won't work.

If that had been Steelers vs Patriots you all know very well final would have been 42-17 or something. Steelers never would have even gotten up to 28-3.

hahahaha.

Epic collapse by the Falcons though.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Yeah. 43/62 for almost 500 yards. Really held them down.

Turnovers and sacks. That was the story. No one stopped anyone consistently. In the first half Atlanta got 2 turnovers and more sacks/hurries. In the 3rd and 4th quarter it was mostly the Pats way.

Must be coaching.

I fail to see how this game affects the Steelers coaching. Atlanta did exactly what all you "fire 'em all" guys wanted the Steelers to do, and still got beat. So by that rationale, the Falcons are even worse than the Steelers because they knew what to do and couldn't win. IDIOTS!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I'd rather lose the way that the Steelers did, than the way that the Falcons did.

The series that will haunt tyem:
    The Falcons were in FG range... sack, hold, lose.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I'd rather lose the way that the Steelers did, than the way that the Falcons did.

The series that will haunt tyem:
    The Falcons were in FG range... sack, hold, lose.
    And if you really want to get into it, the back blew the protection on the sack that forced the turnover as well. Coaches, am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    And if you really want to get into it, the back blew the protection on the sack that forced the turnover as well. Coaches, am I right?
    Likewise, Matty Ice held the ball for a full 75 seconds...