Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whoever decided to play zone defense should be fired

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Whoever decided to play zone defense should be fired

The falcons have made more stop than the steelers and it is not close despite that the steelers have more talent in defense than the falcons.

The steelers had only one stop against the patriots, the falcons made 5 stops in the first half, including a pick 6.

The problem, the Falcons offense scored only 21 points, including 0 in the last 25 minutes.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Zone = 36 points

Man = 34 points

Maaaaaaaybe, Brady is good (unless pressured).

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Zone = 36 points

Man = 34 points

Maaaaaaaybe, Brady is good (unless pressured).

C'mon man, be smarter than that

The steelers made only one stop(1 punt) for the entire game, the falcons made 6 stops(4 punt,2 turnovers,including a pick 6).And the steelers have more talent in defense than the falcons.

Yes Brady is amazing, but playing the zone against him is like throwing the white flag.

- - - Updated - - -

Big difference to give 36 points on 8 drives(Steelers) and 34 points on 12 drives(Falcons) or 27 points on 17 drives like Houston....

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Just because you haven't heard of the players on the Falcons defense doesn't mean they don't have as much or more talent...see Teegre's post about the draft picks invested on that side of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Just because you haven't heard of the players on the Falcons defense doesn't mean they don't have as much or more talent...see Teegre's post about the draft picks invested on that side of the ball.
    The falcons were one of the worst defense in the NFL this year(27th)

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    C'mon man, be smarter than that

The steelers made only one stop(1 punt) for the entire game, the falcons made 6 stops(4 punt,2 turnovers,including a pick 6).And the steelers have more talent in defense than the falcons.

Yes Brady is amazing, but playing the zone against him is like throwing the white flag.
    2 points better

Stops??? Okay. But, stats can lie. If you give up TDs on half of the drives, you'd technically have more stops than a team who holds its opponent to only FGs.

TD 7
    punt
    TD 14
    punt
    TD 21
    punt
    TD 28
    punt

FG 3
    FG 6
    FG 9
    FG 12
    FG 15
    FG 18
    FG 21
    FG 24

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The falcons were one of the worst defense in the NFL this year(27th)
    I get that their stats sucked. Last year or so of Lebeau stats were great but...

From Teegre in another thread:

2015 draft:
    Vic Beasley (NFL sack leader)
    Jalen Collins
    Grady Jarrett

2016:
    Keanu Neal
    Deion Jones (DROY)
    De'Vondre Campbell

That's 6/11ths of that defense that is just now coming into their own. Our defense is similar, but still one year away.

As in: Atlanta's 2015 draft equals our 2016 draft... and hopefully, our 2017 draft adds a pass rusher or two. Voila! ...we're just as good as Atlanta is right now.

That's more "talent" by counting youth and draft picks. Not by a lot, but by an amount that could matter.

2 points better

Stops??? Okay. But, stats can lie. If you give up TDs on half of the drives, you'd technically have more stops than a team who holds its opponent to only FGs.

TD 7
    punt
    TD 14
    punt
    TD 21
    punt
    TD 28
    punt

FG 3
    FG 6
    FG 9
    FG 12
    FG 15
    FG 18
    FG 21
    FG 24

Please, don't go in the extremes.

The steelers gave 4 TD and 3 FG in 8 drives against the pats.It was 4 TD and 2 FG in 12 drives for the falcons against the pats.

If the pats would have had 12 drives vs PIT, the pats would probably have had like 55 points as in 2013!

- - - Updated - - -

I get that their stats sucked. Last year or so of Lebeau stats were great but...

From Teegre in another thread:

2015 draft:
    Vic Beasley (NFL sack leader)
    Jalen Collins
    Grady Jarrett

2016:
    Keanu Neal
    Deion Jones (DROY)
    De'Vondre Campbell

That's 6/11ths of that defense that is just now coming into their own. Our defense is similar, but still one year away.

As in: Atlanta's 2015 draft equals our 2016 draft... and hopefully, our 2017 draft adds a pass rusher or two. Voila! ...we're just as good as Atlanta is right now.

That's more "talent" by counting youth and draft picks. Not by a lot, but by an amount that could matter.

At worst, the defense talent between the falcons and the steelers is similar, but the difference was the gameplan.

You have no chance to win when your defense gives 4 TD and 3 FG in 8 drives.

Your chances are better when your defense gives 3 TD,3 FG and 1 pick 6 in 11 drives and in regulation time

Please, don't go in the extremes.

The steelers gave 4 TD and 3 FG in 8 drives against the pats.It was 4 TD and 2 FG in 12 drives for the falcons against the pats.

If the pats would have had 12 drives vs PIT, the pats would probably have had like 55 points as in 2013!
    That's were the concept of "team" comes into play. The Steelers offense held onto the ball long enough for the Taperiots to only have 8 possessions... whereas, the Falcons didn't eat up enough clock (specifically when they were at the 20 with only 5 minutes left).

I get it. Atlanta, even though they also lost, was better than the Steelers against this Pats team. I am only trying to make 3 points:

1. What happened over Brady/Evil Hoodies entire career together doesn't matter as each roster is a bit of a "reset". The 2011 Pats and Steelers look far different than the 2016 versions of the same teams.
    2. Man coverage is not some "magic bullet" against Brady and whatever flavor of their offense that the Pats are running in a given week or season.
    3. Getting and sustaining pressure, particularly on key downs (almost all of Pats 2016 SB sacks were on 3rd downs), and turnovers matter far more to defensive "performance" than the back-end coverage scheme.

Do those three things mean that the Steelers should roll out a similar gameplan as they did in the AFCCG? No, that would be an extreme overstatement. Of course not. But to say that they can't run zone and beat the Pats is also too extreme. If you run zone behind a pass rush that either (or both!) gets to Brady or disrupts his timing, then you will be fine - or at least as "fine" as anyone is against these guys. Alternatively, does that mean that man coverage should be avoided or discarded on principle? Of course not. But Brady beat man coverages plenty of times tonight.

That's were the concept of "team" comes into play. The Steelers offense held onto the ball long enough for the Taperiots to only have 8 possessions... whereas, the Falcons didn't eat up enough clock (specifically when they were at the 20 with only 5 minutes left).

I was just talking only about the defense.

What did the Giants play behind their "four aces" pass rush? No one remembers because it was the rush that changed those games.

What do the Ravens play against the Pats? No one remembers because it is pressure and turnovers that typically drive those Ravens victories from my memory.

I've never seen a defense play passive(Soft zone)like the steelers against the patriots and having success.Soft zone against the patriots.this is the white flag.

- - - Updated - - -

What did the Giants play behind their "four aces" pass rush? No one remembers because it was the rush that changed those games.

What do the Ravens play against the Pats? No one remembers because it is pressure and turnovers that typically drive those Ravens victories from my memory.
    The patriots were a different team when they had Randy Moss.

I was just talking only about the defense.
    The number of possessions that an opponent gets depends on the team (not just the defense).

The number of possessions that an opponent gets depends on the team (not just the defense).
    agreed

I've never seen a defense play passive(Soft zone)like the steelers against the patriots and having success.Soft zone against the patriots.this is the white flag.

- - - Updated - - -
    The patriots were a different team when they had Randy Moss.

Exactly. Which is why dredging up a gameplan from 2011 doesn't move the needle for me at all when it comes to proving a point about 2016.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...riots-analysis

Watch the first GIF in the link. The backside options are all covered close EXCEPT for Hogan who Dupree and Golden BOTH release to follow Brady's eyes. That is a mistake in execution not scheme. No pass pressure and Brady has time to work back across the field and find the "dropped" coverage. Want to bet that an inexperienced Golden and Dupree screwed that up?

Now, why neither Harrison or Dupree is rushed on that play - that is a different discussion.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

2 things the Steelers need in the draft, a CB that can cover man and another pass rusher.

Another thing that will help too is ball control on offense and keeping Brady off the field. Remember the 2011 beatdown? Steelers held the ball for 39:22. Good thing is Steelers do have the offense built for this. The run heavy formation with Nix, Hubbard at TE, and Johnson (the one that Crash despises so much) that can be used to control the clock and keep the Pats offense off the field

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    NOPE, you can't back up now. You said in another thread, not winning the SB is a failure. Atlanta failed, just like we did. How doesn't matter, facts don't matter, only the final score matters. Atlanta was up 25pts with 2mins to go in the 3rd. If that were the Steelers, we would have been able to run the clock out. So quit your piling on of how terrible the Steelers are. You are a horrible fan.
    I also said it depends. Did I say the Falcons season wasn't a failure? Yes or no? Don't back down like a liberal. See how your continuous whining and belly aching over opinions clouds your reading and comprehension.

If you don't like my posts then don't read them. Tuck your string back in and place me on ignore. I don't get why you liberals get so upset.

Oh no, you called me a horrible fan. Haha.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Falcons by the way had the ball for 23:27.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    2 things the Steelers need in the draft, a CB that can cover man and another pass rusher.

Another thing that will help too is ball control on offense and keeping Brady off the field. Remember the 2011 beatdown? Steelers held the ball for 39:22. Good thing is Steelers do have the offense built for this. The run heavy formation with Nix, Hubbard at TE, and Johnson (the one that Crash despises so much) that can be used to control the clock and keep the Pats offense off the field
    Bingo!!!

As far as offensive gameplans go, the Steelers did alright in the AFCCG, except they just didn't score. 3 dropped TDs and an awful first-&-goal series is the difference in the game.

Just to say, that I do not think the steelers would have won, even if they would have played man to man for the entire game, but at least I would have said they tried.

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Just to say, that I do not think the steelers would have won, even if they would have played man to man for the entire game, but at least I would have said they tried.
    I wholeheartedly agree with that sentiment. I don't expect the Steelers to play press man coverage for a whole game or even most of the game. I understand how their defensive scheme works, but a HUGE part of that scheme working is the offense not knowing where pressure is coming by bringing different people AND faking bringing people. We should be able to do the same thing with coverage. If they OCCASIONALLY play a press man coverage when they are blitzing, a QB like Brady doesn't get the opportunity to dump the outlet pass in less than 2 seconds because the receivers haven't gotten free. It's not possible to do that all game long, but when LeBeau used that approach in the 2011 game it gave Brady one more thing to consider. He had less opportunity to throw down field and had to dump to outlet receivers for most of his completions. Having some press man coverage should be PART of our approach. The Patriots started using a lot of that in the 3rd and 4th Qtr against the Falcons and they folded.

We play our best defense when we play aggressive. I can stomach getting beaten by the Patriots, but not the way we just gave it too them by playing passive. If we're gonna get beaten, I'd much rather know that we threw everything including the kitchen sink at them. If we press them tight on a lot of the plays, use smart blitzes from unexpected places and do everything we can to keep them guessing and they STILL beat us, then more power to them, they deserve to win. I'll live with it.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    I also said it depends. Did I say the Falcons season wasn't a failure? Yes or no? Don't back down like a liberal. See how your continuous whining and belly aching over opinions clouds your reading and comprehension.

If you don't like my posts then don't read them. Tuck your string back in and place me on ignore. I don't get why you liberals get so upset.

Oh no, you called me a horrible fan. Haha.
    Yeah, sorry about that. Not cool.

BTW, I'm what you would call a liberal conservative.....I don't agree with burning the flag, but wouldn't step on someone else's right to do it.

And I did not back down. I simply took my drunk ass to bed. Good morning. Shall we resume?

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I think the steelers will still play the zone against Brady next year, because Tomlin's ego is too big to admit his mistake.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I think the steelers will still play the zone against Brady next year, because Tomlin's ego is too big to admit his mistake.
    I think we will play a mix of zone and man, just like we did both games this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I think we will play a mix of zone and man, just like we did both games this season.

The Steelers need to change their strategy against Brady since the results are embarrassing!

I mean, Brady has a QB rating of 114 in career against the steelers, which is his highest in the nfl against an opponent....Against Tomlin, it's even worse(125 QB rating,21 TD,0 INT and 72% pass complete!!! on 7 games).