Thread: Your thoughts

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Your thoughts

I'm not sure what exactly is the problem on offense.

Is it BR, Haley, Tomlin or the other players?

Are the WRs too dumb to know where to go? Are the pass plays called taking too long to develop? Is BR just not a smart enough QB to read and make quick throws? Are the game plans poorly designed due to coaching or the players not being able to hand a more difficult playbook?

Say what you want about Belichick cheating etc..., but the guy has his team running like a well oiled machine. His WRs know right where to go and Brady sees it. Are they they for more talented physically? I would say no. That leaves it to be either good coaching or players who are very coach-able.

As for the defense, it was a poor game plan. Is that the fault of Butler or Tomlin. I say both. Even if Butler came up with the plan wouldn't the HC tell the DC to alter it in the 2nd half?
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

Re: Your thoughts

it's like MIT vs PTI in technology

they are basically scholars in the field of football. they are better at game-planning, reading defenses, making adjustments, etc. belichick is a football genius, and brady is smart too. we are not

Quote Originally Posted by JayC View Post
    it's like MIT vs PTI in technology

they are basically scholars in the field of football. they are better at game-planning, reading defenses, making adjustments, etc. belichick is a football genius, and brady is smart too. we are not
    I am referring more as to what is the problem with the Steelers in general, not necessarily the Steelers vs the Patriots.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

On the offensive side, we basically have a #1 receiver and nobody else of note, and while we were able to fake it for much of the season that way, it finally caught up with us.

Defensively we just do not get it. Butler's scheme gave us no chance at all. Costing the team a chance at a Super Bowl is a fireable offense.

The head coach also has to sign off on the game plan, so plenty of blame to go around there too. That shit never should have seen the light of day.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Cheats** own the Steelers/Tomlin and Cowher.

Yet Cheats**(Brady/Bellicheat) struggle against Denver (7-9 regular and 1-3 postseason) and Baltimore (1-2 in postseason).

Senior Member Array title="Lambert_Loonie will become famous soon enough"> Lambert_Loonie's Avatar

35 minutes north of the hellhole that is Paul Brown Stadium

Tomlin isn't in Belichick's league, and even though the defense overachieved this year, Keith Butler isn't in in Matt Patricia's either.

You don't have to agree with me, but I do recomend it.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Belichick will game plan against his opponent. Exploit weaknesses and Brady is patient enough to carry them out.

The Steelers play one way and try to be more physical than their opponents. That works for about 80% of the NFL. However, a good game plan and patience will usually outlast and dishearten a physical team. Ben is just not as patient as Brady.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I'm so sick of hearing how great Belechick is. Let's see how great Belechick is in a few years when a #12 retires.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    I'm so sick of hearing how great Belechick is. Let's see how great Belechick is in a few years when a #12 retires.
    What do you mean? He still wins games without Brady...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    I'm not sure what exactly is the problem on offense.

Is it BR, Haley, Tomlin or the other players?

Are the WRs too dumb to know where to go? Are the pass plays called taking too long to develop? Is BR just not a smart enough QB to read and make quick throws? Are the game plans poorly designed due to coaching or the players not being able to hand a more difficult playbook?

Say what you want about Belichick cheating etc..., but the guy has his team running like a well oiled machine. His WRs know right where to go and Brady sees it. Are they they for more talented physically? I would say no. That leaves it to be either good coaching or players who are very coach-able.

As for the defense, it was a poor game plan. Is that the fault of Butler or Tomlin. I say both. Even if Butler came up with the plan wouldn't the HC tell the DC to alter it in the 2nd half?
    Can only speak to this game. Bell went out after 11 snaps. Pretty much puts the ball in Ben's hand at that point. Pats take AB off the board. Check Mate.

Member Array title="lotas will become famous soon enough">

Martavis Bryant was missed yesterday. If AB didn't always have a safety over the top of him he might actually get balls thrown his way more often. Bryant stretched the field and was a TD machine, two things we missed dearly all year, but especially yesterday. It upsets me Coates even got to touch the ball the several times he did as he dives and falls down after the ball goes through his arms (ARMS! WTF!) catch that shit with your hands, Sammie! Bryant is an arm catcher too but at least he was more consistent, Coates is becoming Limas Sweed v 2.0.

The defense last night looked like the 2015 Steelers secondary with Antwon Blake and co. Frustrating end to a great second half of the season.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Our Defense is young and we have no real pass rush. We all knew that coming into this season. The only surprise to me is we got this far honestly. Yes our def gameplan gave no chance to win, that is on the coaches. But as stated above, we need a real #2 WR. I think we are ok at TE as JJ is what Heath was without the blocking ability (make the catch to move the chains) and that is enough. Coates just isnt going to cut it the rest were rookies who played quite well considering they are rookies. Next season we either get Bryant back or we draft a big tall fast guy who can catch, problem solved. Our biggest issue is still OLB. Dupree is fine, but we can't afford to draft our replacement for JH. We need to get a premier pass rusher via FA. Yes it will cost a lot, but then we can draft another safety and some DL depth this year and get our next OLB next year to groom. Yeah I know, we dont spend big money in FA, but hopefully someone up top was paying attention to the zero rush we had this last game and will decide to bite the bullet. We have more cap room than as long as I can remember, Ben is in his final few years so I think now is the time go get someone that will make a difference. At the start of this season, I was hopeful our younger guys would get more experience, they did. I thought from the beginning we were 1-2 pieces away from a true run (OLB and DB were my thoughts) and that next season would be our year. I am happy overall with this years work, and I still think next season is ours to lose.

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

I knew it was going to be a long game when TB had 10-20 seconds to throw the ball. Our defense is young and started to play better towards the end of the season but it's still a lot of young players with a new DC.

Also not making excuses because a loss is a loss but I couldn't believe the holding the pats got away with on every play.
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Our Defense is young and we have no real pass rush. We all knew that coming into this season. The only surprise to me is we got this far honestly. Yes our def gameplan gave no chance to win, that is on the coaches. But as stated above, we need a real #2 WR. I think we are ok at TE as JJ is what Heath was without the blocking ability (make the catch to move the chains) and that is enough. Coates just isnt going to cut it the rest were rookies who played quite well considering they are rookies. Next season we either get Bryant back or we draft a big tall fast guy who can catch, problem solved. Our biggest issue is still OLB. Dupree is fine, but we can't afford to draft our replacement for JH. We need to get a premier pass rusher via FA. Yes it will cost a lot, but then we can draft another safety and some DL depth this year and get our next OLB next year to groom. Yeah I know, we dont spend big money in FA, but hopefully someone up top was paying attention to the zero rush we had this last game and will decide to bite the bullet. We have more cap room than as long as I can remember, Ben is in his final few years so I think now is the time go get someone that will make a difference. At the start of this season, I was hopeful our younger guys would get more experience, they did. I thought from the beginning we were 1-2 pieces away from a true run (OLB and DB were my thoughts) and that next season would be our year. I am happy overall with this years work, and I still think next season is ours to lose.
    There is no "premier" pass rusher available in free agency this year. Chandler Jones and Nick Perry are the only guys that come close to that definition. In fact I would say that Chandler Jones does and it will likely take 16+ Million per year to sign him. Plus it appears the Cards are going to tag him - http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7429/chandler-jones.

Any other FA out there has a fairly long list of concerns regarding paying them top $$$ and expecting double digit sacks in return.

OLB FA's by Sack #'s - http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agen...de-linebacker/
    DE FA's by Sack #'s - http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/defensive-end/

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Your thoughts

Yeah but the Steelers have ways of finding guys that aren't the premier guys or "expensive" guys and that wind up being extremely productive...see DeAngelo Williams, James Farrior and Ryan Clark as examples. It doesn't have to be the top of the line, glitz and glamour name like the Eagles go after every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Can only speak to this game. Bell went out after 11 snaps. Pretty much puts the ball in Ben's hand at that point. Pats take AB off the board. Check Mate.
    Bell wouldn't have made a difference.
    Hater = Realist

The problem?

I think we just saw how much we really miss Heath Miller. That's problem 1.

Problem 2. We are way too young at receiver. I'm very happy with the talent level, but not the maturity level right now.

Problem 3. Ben struggles on the road of late. No, not last night. He had a good game last night. But, he's just not the same guy on the road he is at home.

Problem 4. Too big a reliance on too few people. We need a good backup RB that can provide a change in running style. We need a good TE that can be a target for Ben without worry. We need a second and third WR step up and be consistent.

Problem 5. Too confused. We want to be a great passing team, but wait . . . the run! We want to be a great running team, but wait . . . the Pass! Enough is enough. Find something that works and keep shoving it down their throats.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    The problem?

Find something that works and keep shoving it down their throats.
    Didn't the Steelers coaches say they dislike?
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Problem 4. Too big a reliance on too few people. We need a good backup RB that can provide a change in running style.
    They have a good backup RB in DeAngelo Williams, the problem is they never use him when Bell is healthy.

Senior Member Array title="Terrapinstation is on a distinguished road">

Not taking into consideration injuries, suspensions, retirements, free agent signings, etc. Next year, there's good news and bad news.

The good news. The AFC sucks. NE and us are clearly 1 and 2. Oakland and KC are solid, but certainly unspectacular. Baltimore, Houston, and Indy may make a little noise.

The bad news. NE will get the #1 seed again, which will make it almost impossible for us (or anyone else) to get to the SB (again). None of the above mentioned teams are even close to good enough to knock NE off, so it'll probably be deja vu all over again.

Maybe the Rooney's should off Bellichek $30 mil a year to come coach us

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapinstation View Post
    Not taking into consideration injuries, suspensions, retirements, free agent signings, etc. Next year, there's good news and bad news.

The good news. The AFC sucks. NE and us are clearly 1 and 2. Oakland and KC are solid, but certainly unspectacular. Baltimore, Houston, and Indy may make a little noise.

The bad news. NE will get the #1 seed again, which will make it almost impossible for us (or anyone else) to get to the SB (again). None of the above mentioned teams are even close to good enough to knock NE off, so it'll probably be deja vu all over again.

Maybe the Rooney's should off Bellichek $30 mil a year to come coach us
    Unless Tomlin and crew can get over this severe mental block against inferior teams (in the regular season) and the Patriots, there is nothing to indicate that New England will not go to their 10th Super Bowl next year.