Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: With the 30th pick in the draft , the Steelers select

Senior Member Array title="Buckinnuts is on a distinguished road"> Buckinnuts's Avatar

Re: With the 30th pick in the draft , the Steelers select

is it true we have almost $42 million cap space?..some i am sure will be used with bell brown and timmons..what about going after like eric berry or gilmore

KNOCKIN ON 7'S DOOR!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

With the 30th pick in the draft , the Steelers select

Melvin Ingram may be a nice guy to go after in Free Agency. Not against Jones or Perry...probably more affordable than Ingram.

If the team could sign Ingram and a Gilmore type, Trumaine Johnson type, they could be in really good shape. Let Timmons go, draft an ILB to develop. Keep Brown, Bell, Cockrell. They could be in really nice shape. Do they have enough money for that? I have no idea but if the number is in that $42M area, there could be...

The Giants went after Jenkins last season and it worked out very well for them so Gilmore wouldn't be a terrible thing to pay for.

But as far as draft goes, Timmons is out, Williams is in and an ILB drafted as a replacement to eventually go with Shazier.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I am seeing a lot of mock drafts giving us Takkarist McKinley, OLB, UCLA.

IMO, once teams watch tape of the kid (UCLA sucked; so he barely got any recognition), he will move way up the draft boards to around 11-15ish. The kid is a track star, which fits Colbert's recent formula (freak athlete). If he somehow were there at 30, he'd absolutely be a great pick.

Then, in R2, they could add a pass-catcher with either of these TEs: Jake Butt or Bucky Hodges. (A new Killer B.)

Now... if McCaffrey is there at 30, would I still take McKinley? Hmmm... good question.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

If it's true that Roethlisberger is retiring, Romo for a first round pick,would you do that?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    If it's true that Roethlisberger is retiring, Romo for a first round pick,would you do that?
    No I would not. Romo is damaged goods, and maybe one more good hit from being retired himself. I wasn't willing to take a chance on Manning either though, and he still had 2 SBs in him apparently. I'm thinking it will be either the Landry Jones show, or the Zach Mettenberger show after Ben retires.

Jimmy Garoppolo?!

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Jimmy Garoppolo?!
    Not enough resume

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Melvin Ingram may be a nice guy to go after in Free Agency. Not against Jones or Perry...probably more affordable than Ingram.

If the team could sign Ingram and a Gilmore type, Trumaine Johnson type, they could be in really good shape. Let Timmons go, draft an ILB to develop. Keep Brown, Bell, Cockrell. They could be in really nice shape. Do they have enough money for that? I have no idea but if the number is in that $42M area, there could be...

The Giants went after Jenkins last season and it worked out very well for them so Gilmore wouldn't be a terrible thing to pay for.

But as far as draft goes, Timmons is out, Williams is in and an ILB drafted as a replacement to eventually go with Shazier.
    Looks like its closer to $29.5 million in cap space: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/01...iness-outlook/

Still a lot. I agree with you. A Melvin Ingram or Chandler Jones type is what we need. We can stand to draft well but also make some moves in free agency when necessary. Look at the Broncos and how much grabbing Demarcus Ware, Aqib Talib, and TJ Ward changed them
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

No I wouldn't. Romo is 2 years older than Ben and can't even go 2 games without injuring himself

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

high picks for super old players are always a waste of time (except rare circumstances like peyton manning to the broncos). kind of reminds me of when jason taylor got traded to the redskins for 2nd round pick and he was pretty done at that point.

the irony of the peyton manning trade is that they didnt even win a superbowl with him until he really sucked balls
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    high picks for super old players are always a waste of time (except rare circumstances like peyton manning to the broncos). kind of reminds me of when jason taylor got traded to the redskins for 2nd round pick and he was pretty done at that point.

the irony of the peyton manning trade is that they didnt even win a superbowl with him until he really sucked balls

Good point, but in the case of Peyton Manning, he was released by the colts, he signed as a free agent with the Broncos.

Ū Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    I am on the OJ Howard train early. TE from Alabama.
    He isn't worth the first pick. Maybe in the 2nd or later. OLB is the most pressing need.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...1190/oj-howard

WEAKNESSES: While undeniably gifted, Howard remains far from a finished product. At this time, he is far too reliant on his size and athleticism as a route-runner, showing limited shoulder fakes and altered gaits to keep defenders guessing. Howard is not the bulldozer with the ball in his hands that his size would suggest and this lack of ideal physicality is also evident in his blocking, where he remains more pesky than powerful or passionate
    Hater = Realist

I would go with OLB Takkarist McKinley in the first with the foresight of rotating him with Harrison this next year. I would look seriously at a TE in the 2nd...and would look for our ILB in free agency. There are several good FA ILB prospects that are still fairly young and would be an upgrade over Timmons in coverage.

That being said...I have always been a fan of Jimmy Garoppolo and would consider him a legitimate replacement for Ben when he hangs up his cleats. I would be hard pressed to not trade a first round pick for him if he was still tradebait at the end of the first round.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Trade down for a high 2nd and an early 4th. Take a QB with the extra 4th.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

A lot of a QBs success comes from the system they play in. I would rather get a vet FA to play as backup and give Mettenberger another season of learning our system. Jones may not be as bad as he plays here. He may flourish elsewhere, he just doesn't seem to get it here. If we do draft a QB, who would you get and what are the qualities you're drafting him for?

I am looking at McCaffrey in the first. If he's not available, next BPA on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    I would go with OLB Takkarist McKinley in the first with the foresight of rotating him with Harrison this next year. I would look seriously at a TE in the 2nd...and would look for our ILB in free agency. There are several good FA ILB prospects that are still fairly young and would be an upgrade over Timmons in coverage.

That being said...I have always been a fan of Jimmy Garoppolo and would consider him a legitimate replacement for Ben when he hangs up his cleats. I would be hard pressed to not trade a first round pick for him if he was still tradebait at the end of the first round.
    Some possible ILB replacements:

Zach Brown from the Bills (Age 27)
    Donta Hightower from the Patriots (Age 26)
    Kevin Minter from the Cardinals (Age 26)

I think those are the only good suitors. Guys like Rolando McClain are simply too much risk vs. reward. Zach Brown just blew up last season and made the pro bowl so he might come expensive but he's so good that he could really take our defense to the next level.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Many expect Timmons will be brought back.

Everyone can pretty forget about McKinley. After the combine he'll probably be a top 10 pick. Could run a 4.4 forty.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

I'm going to start pimping Luke Falk from Washington State. If he's there at pick 30, then we get a steal. I've been watching film on the top college QBs of this class and he is who stood out to me. Very accurate and has great feet and mobility. Doesn't have the strongest arm, but he would benefit greatly sitting a year behind Ben, while getting stronger and honing his skills. I really think he has the highest ceiling of all the QBs in this class.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    A lot of a QBs success comes from the system they play in. I would rather get a vet FA to play as backup and give Mettenberger another season of learning our system. Jones may not be as bad as he plays here. He may flourish elsewhere, he just doesn't seem to get it here. If we do draft a QB, who would you get and what are the qualities you're drafting him for?

I am looking at McCaffrey in the first. If he's not available, next BPA on the board.
    The qualities I want in QB are pretty simple. A smart guy who's accurate with the football and makes good decisions. I believe Falk fits the bill. He has great pocket presence and a nice high release. His release reminds me a lot of Tom Brady's. I'm definitely not saying he's the next Brady but their throwing motion is similar. He needs to work on his armstrength, but all the tools are there.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Everyone can pretty forget about McKinley. After the combine he'll probably be a top 10 pick. Could run a 4.4 forty.
    Yep.

Plus, once they see his game tapes, scouts will know that his freakish measureables do indeed translate into production.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Hell no , injury plagued , on the older side himself and a known choke artist to top it all off ... I would take him for a 5th and conditional the next year based on playtime and wins

Nevermind about Falk. Was under the impression he was going pro this year, but he's not.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

OMG...are we having a serious discussion about Tony Romo?????

That would be the biggest mistake in the history of mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    OMG...are we having a serious discussion about Tony Romo?????

That would be the biggest mistake in the history of mistakes.

I am sorry....It was an overreaction on my part after the news of Roethlisberger!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Many expect Timmons will be brought back.

I don't mind Timmons coming back but not for more than $8M or so...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I wouldn't touch Garoppolo or Romo. Cheatin Bill would want an arm & leg for him (Garopp) and somebody will give it to him. I think Bill has some college kid in sight to take Brady's place and thats where we should be looking. A franchise QB has to have all the tools and be extremely competitive.... Garoppolo & Romo are not that, nor are they able to take many hits. There is a reason Belichick is willing to dump him. I think Ben will be back, I'm not sure if the 2018 draft has a better QB class than 2017, but if it does thats where I would look for Ben's replacement.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I am sorry....It was an overreaction on my part after the news of Roethlisberger!

Get ahold of yourself man!!!!

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

If Ben can give us 3 more years we could draft a qb now and start grooming him

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    If Ben can give us 3 more years we could draft a qb now and start grooming him
    It's slim pickings this year, if Ben can go 3 more years I'd wait for next years draft.

Senior Member Array title="Terrapinstation is on a distinguished road">

Pretty weird how most people seem to think we're 'stacked'.

Ben may retire, and we have absolutely nothing behind him. Even if he doesn't leave this year, he may have another 3 tops.

Bell will be franchised, but he's also one toke away from a year suspension. Even if he stays clean next year (and healthy), are we actually going to give him his big deal after next year? Deangelo is old as dirt and also probably leaves via FA this year.

AB. Is his production worth his baggage? I don't know. If Ben had to 'cheer him up' after their first TD Sunday, it pretty much says all you need to know about his committment to the team and winning. You don't win championships with guys like that.
    Bryant. One toke away from being Josh Gordon.
    Wheaton/Coates/the rest of them. Maybe one of them can be a decent 4 or 5.

Ladarius. Any trust him staying healthy?

And that's just on offense, where we should be 'set'. Granted, those are worst case scenarios, but I could easily see one of Bell or Bryant getting popped again, and Green being hurt all year.

Anyway, I still say WR, OLB, TE in probably that order.