Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Butler the Door

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Show Butler the Door

What college DCs could make the leap?

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    What we need to do is raid the Patriots defensive staff. They obviously know how to put a game plan together.
    Their defense isn't all that either. We just need a bona fide #2 receiver.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    No surprise a writer from the Boston Globe is going to gloat, but this is a good takedown of the defensive game plan

Steelers’ defensive game plan was atrocious

Let’s start with the most head-scratching decision — the usage of Bud Dupree and James Harrison. They are your two best pass rushers, and the Texans showed you in the divisional round with Jadeveon Clowney and Whitney Mercilus that the Patriots are susceptible to inside pressure.

Yet the Steelers didn’t bring either player up the middle on a twist or inside blitz. In fact, you didn’t use either player nearly enough as a pass rusher. On Brady’s 44 real drop-backs (excluding a clock spike), Harrison and Dupree each dropped into coverage 15 times. Not only were you not attacking Brady with your best rushers, but neither player is exactly proficient in pass coverage or playing in space.

And the Steelers acted like they’ve never seen a flea-flicker before. In fact, veteran safety Mike Mitchell said the Steelers hadn’t seen it on film from the Patriots — which is incredible, because the Patriots ran a flea-flicker against the Ravens on Dec. 12, two weeks before the Ravens faced the Steelers....

Let’s call this what it was — arguably the worst defensive performance against the Patriots all season.

Link to full article

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/p...UcJ/story.html

FWIW the article also includes video to illustrate the text, something that many sportswriters are now incorporating into their articles but which apparently is beyond the capability of the Post-Gazette writers
    This is the worst part of it - seeing those chowderhead assclowns gloat about it. I hope Ryan smokes their asses.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Bryant?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I'd like to see video of that. Specifically who was covering who. Because I saw alot of white jerseys standing around

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Bryant?
    Hopefully - if he can steer clear of the bong, anyway.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

You mean other than being first in the league in scoring defense and putting the kibosh on us Sunday?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So while we still don't know why there was no inside pressure from Shazier and Timmons, we do know why there was no man coverage.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/01...ne-didnt-work/

Old ass William Gay can't do it anymore. I've argued before that the Steelers are transitioning to a secondary that can move between zone and man - but simply are not ready to roll that scheme out yet. Replace Gay with Golson (in a world where the kid was never injured etc etc) and I bet you do see man coverage often.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    So while we still don't know why there was no inside pressure from Shazier and Timmons, we do know why there was no man coverage.

Old ass William Gay can't do it anymore. I've argued before that the Steelers are transitioning to a secondary that can move between zone and man - but simply are not ready to roll that scheme out yet. Replace Gay with Golson (in a world where the kid was never injured etc etc) and I bet you do see man coverage often.
    Based on Gerry Dulac's chat looks like Butler was the likely source on Dulac's tweets on how the Steelers tried man and gave it up because of Willie Gay.

Everyone's saying the problem is not doing press coverage. Did Butler not switch because he didn't trust the personnel he has available?

Gerry Dulac
    Pay the man. Best question of the year

Gerry Dulac

One player in particular.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201701250167

Gay may be on the way out - Dulac also had these observations

Gerry Dulac

I think Ross Cockrell might be playing himself into the nickel back role in 2017 if Senquez Golson can stay healthy and get on the field....

Is Senquez Golson's foot finally healed? Can we finally count on him competing w/ Gay for the slot corner spot next year? He's been like Bigfoot, we've heard all about him but nobody has seen him.

Gerry Dulac

Haha. Bigfoot's foot should be all ready to go. And you don't have to worry about him competing w Gay. There will be no competition. I think the Steelers saw all they needed to see in the NE game

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    You mean other than being first in the league in scoring defense and putting the kibosh on us Sunday?
    What I saw was the Steelers stopping themselves with dipshit play calling in the red zone (Gee, they're loading up the inside, I know, let's try running it up the gut with DWill lining up 7 yards behind the LOS...twice in a row!) along with a number of dropped passes (the latter of which kinda points back to my original "bona fide #2 receiver" comment) more than anything else. And then there's the murderer's row of QBs they've faced most of the season that kinda helped that "#1 scoring D in the league" average.

If they can hold Atlanta's offense in check, then I'll STFU about it. But considering Seattle put up 31 points on them in their own backyard with arguably the worst OL in the league, I kinda doubt they will.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

If our current young CBs CAN play press, does it help us to play more from a 4-3 alignment defensively? With our current personnel, and QB pressure point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    If our current young CBs CAN play press, does it help us to play more from a 4-3 alignment defensively? With our current personnel, and QB pressure point of view.
    Wouldn't have hurt to try, I don't think. The Patented LeBeau Soft Zone™ is supposedly designed not to give up big plays, which they kinda gave up in spades all night Sunday anyway, along with the dozen or so other times they've now rolled it out against Brady.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

What I saw was the Steelers stopping themselves with dipshit play calling in the red zone (Gee, they're loading up the inside, I know, let's try running it up the gut with DWill lining up 7 yards behind the LOS...twice in a row!) along with a number of dropped passes (the latter of which kinda points back to my original "bona fide #2 receiver" comment) more than anything else. And then there's the murderer's row of QBs they've faced most of the season that kinda helped that "#1 scoring D in the league" average.

If they can hold Atlanta's offense in check, then I'll STFU about it. But considering Seattle put up 31 points on them in their own backyard with arguably the worst OL in the league, I kinda doubt they will.
    Just remember, we're talking about COACHING, not talent. I'm not saying that NE is the most talented defense, just that their defensive coaches are a heckuva lot better at game planning than ours.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Wouldn't have hurt to try, I don't think. The Patented LeBeau Soft Zone™ is supposedly designed not to give up big plays, which they kinda gave up in spades all night Sunday anyway, along with the dozen or so other times they've now rolled it out against Brady.
    The Steelers soft zone doesn't give up the 40 yard TD pass, it just delays it by taking four passes of 10 yards and some time off the clock to get the same results.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    The Steelers soft zone does give up the 40 yard TD pass but sometimes it just delays it by taking four passes of 10 yards and some time off the clock to get the same results.
    fixed it 4 ya

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    fixed it 4 ya

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Based on Gerry Dulac's chat looks like Butler was the likely source on Dulac's tweets on how the Steelers tried man and gave it up because of Willie Gay.

Everyone's saying the problem is not doing press coverage. Did Butler not switch because he didn't trust the personnel he has available?

Gerry Dulac
    Pay the man. Best question of the year

Gerry Dulac

One player in particular.

Gay may be on the way out - Dulac also had these observations

Gerry Dulac

I think Ross Cockrell might be playing himself into the nickel back role in 2017 if Senquez Golson can stay healthy and get on the field....

Is Senquez Golson's foot finally healed? Can we finally count on him competing w/ Gay for the slot corner spot next year? He's been like Bigfoot, we've heard all about him but nobody has seen him.

Gerry Dulac

Haha. Bigfoot's foot should be all ready to go. And you don't have to worry about him competing w Gay. There will be no competition. I think the Steelers saw all they needed to see in the NE game

Nice find.

So, let me get this straight...

William Gay decided to drop Dupree & Harrison into coverage. William Gay decided not to send Timmons & Shazier up the middle. And, last but not least, William Gay did a MIB mindswipe of Mike Mitchell erasing any knowledge of flea flickers.

Makes sense.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Nice find.

William Gay decided to drop Dupree & Harrison into coverage. William Gay decided not to send Timmons & Shazier up the middle. And, last but not least, William Gay did a MIB mindswipe of Mike Mitchell erasing any knowledge of flea flickers.

Makes sense.

you forgot William Gay knowing he couldn't cover in a man situation kept himself on the field instead of giving way to the younger , faster Gilbert

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Nice find.

Makes sense.
    After the Denver playoff loss last year the team was disappointed but hung together and was looking forward to 2016

At the end of this season, Ben says he is considering retirement while throwing shade at Haley, Tomlin says it would be too bad if Antonio Brown became one of those players who moves from team to team, and Butler apparently is anonymously leaking to the press that his players are to blame for not executing that dumpster fire of a game plan

When the Rooneys sit down with Tomlin to review this season telling him to get his team under control might be on the agenda

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

This is the worst part of it - seeing those chowderhead assclowns gloat about it. I hope Ryan smokes their asses.
    I don't even see that article as gloating. It's right on the money. We trotted out the worst possible game plan and didn't give ourselves a chance. Everybody in the country can see that was a perfect blueprint for how NOT to beat the Patriots. Except a certain guy whose name rhymes with Skeith Skutler.

Hmm, if only we had another cornerback who could come in and play man coverage. Wait - shit, we traded for one in the offseason! I think he returns kicks for us once in a while or something. And we drafted another one who we moved to safety, but surely he's forgotten everything about the position and couldn't even attempt to cover the third-best receiver on the White Midget Squad.

If we stuck with a scheme that we knew was the worst possible approach - I mean, this was like picking fire to beat water - all because we refused to rotate ONE GUY ... well fuck, then Butler should be even more fired than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Against offensive sets where it's going to matter, it's probably going to be more like a 3-3-5 nickel instead of a 2-4-5, but generally same idea.

I've been thinking for a while that our personnel situation would be ideal for a 4-3 anyway. McCullers would be great as part of a DT tandem but is fairly useless in a 3-4 except situationally ... Heyward and Dupree would make great ends, and both Heyward and Tuitt could play DE or DT.

And since we have virtually no OLB pressure anyway, a scheme that de-emphasizes that in favor of versatile guys who can both stuff the run and cover backs and TEs in the flat (and we have a lot of those guys) seems like it would work in our favor, in fact quickly making us solid at all front 7 positions without even adding anyone new.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Too much drama on the Steelers right now.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I love how they tried it 3 times.....and it failed.

That's a bullshit answer because you do or try whatever you have to do within the game to slow the other team down. If Gay was the weak link, why wasn't Gilbert put in the game to try? He wasn't specifically coached to cover Gronk, but they brought him into the last game to cover him to try to limit him. They could have done the same thing at slot. If you play man, you don't need to have mastered the position or the scheme because you just line up and cover that man. This isn't rocket science. They are talking to us like none of us ever played football and we are all idiots. Sure, slot corner is different because you don't have the sideline so the receiver has a two-way release, but you also aren't covering AB or Julio Jones.

With the tape they have on all the past performances of zone defenses and Brady's long history of destroying it, the William Gay excuse doesn't hold up IMO. We know they played in man a few times because we watched the game, but it wasn't nearly enough to say it was any more of a failure than the zone. I don't believe it was implemented enough to say that it failed.

They stuck with the zone and watched it go down with the ship.

I wonder how many "times" they tried zone Cover-2 or Cover-3? I know that sure as hell failed a whole lot more times than the man coverage did. They didn't give up on that though.....did they? LOL!

I know these aren't your thoughts. You're just posting an article. That just pisses me off because what they are saying is a copout. I don't think I can be convinced otherwise.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I love how they tried it 3 times.....and it failed.

That's a bullshit answer because you do or try whatever you have to do within the game to slow the other team down. If Gay was the weak link, why wasn't Gilbert put in the game to try? He wasn't specifically coached to cover Gronk, but they brought him into the last game to cover him to try to limit him. They could have done the same thing at slot. If you play man, you don't need to have mastered the position or the scheme because you just line up and cover that man. This isn't rocket science. They are talking to us like none of us ever played football and we are all idiots. Sure, slot corner is different because you don't have the sideline so the receiver has a two-way release, but you also aren't covering AB or Julio Jones.

With the tape they have on all the past performances of zone defenses and Brady's long history of destroying it, the William Gay excuse doesn't hold up IMO. We know they played in man a few times because we watched the game, but it wasn't nearly enough to say it was any more of a failure than the zone. I don't believe it was implemented enough to say that it failed.

They stuck with the zone and watched it go down with the ship.

I wonder how many "times" they tried zone Cover-2 or Cover-3? I know that sure as hell failed a whole lot more times than the man coverage did. They didn't give up on that though.....did they? LOL!

I know these aren't your thoughts. You're just posting an article. That just pisses me off because what they are saying is a copout. I don't think I can be convinced otherwise.
    I agree with you for the most part. I only posted it to highlight that everyone is SUPER emotional and running around here spouting off things like a bunch of hysterical high school kids lately. We, as the fans, have basically only one known fact - the Steelers got their ass handed to them on Sunday. Everything else is basically rumor, speculation, he said-she said BS, etc at this point. Now we do know that they "tried" man coverage and their was a reason (however much of a bullshit excuse it may indeed be) that it was abandoned. That article alone, assuming it is true, answers 85% of the posts on here from the past 48 hours or so. We do not have to agree or like the answer - but it does exist despite rumors to the contrary.

Take this "fact" and couple it with another that no one has really talked about yet and we can explain the outcome on Sunday pretty readily. Everyone gushes over the Pats defense and how they take what you do best away from you. But we need to look at their offense as well. Other than the year they rode Corey Dillon and that year that Brady just went mad bomber to Randy Moss, the Pats offense is designed to do one thing - shred zones. Why? Because basically every team in the NFL plays it. Particulary in the last 10-12 years in the AFC. Bellichek looked around and realized if he could consistently beat a 3-4 zone team, he would have most of the AFC's top defenses accounted for. That's why he doesn't need freakish athletes at the WR position (although the underestimation of how athletic that corps is in NE has been comical. Seriously go look up their listed #'s - respectable at worst) - they run precise routes to specific spots with precision timing. Ball is in the air before guys even turn around etc. I know this sounds like the precise situation for jamming guys at the line and manning up. It does to me as well. But there must be a reason that almost no one does this. I have no idea what it is - but no one really does it to them. They rely on pressure to disrupt the timing and stop the Pats offense.

Long story short - the Steelers simply got beat because the offense was depleted (again) and the defense is missing multiple pieces and is not ready for prime time. Am I pissed - sure. Do I think we need to blow it all up and start firing people - nope.

I agree with you for the most part. I only posted it to highlight that everyone is SUPER emotional and running around here spouting off things like a bunch of hysterical high school kids lately. We, as the fans, have basically only one known fact - the Steelers got their ass handed to them on Sunday. Everything else is basically rumor, speculation, he said-she said BS, etc at this point. Now we do know that they "tried" man coverage and their was a reason (however much of a bullshit excuse it may indeed be) that it was abandoned. That article alone, assuming it is true, answers 85% of the posts on here from the past 48 hours or so. We do not have to agree or like the answer - but it does exist despite rumors to the contrary.

Take this "fact" and couple it with another that no one has really talked about yet and we can explain the outcome on Sunday pretty readily. Everyone gushes over the Pats defense and how they take what you do best away from you. But we need to look at their offense as well. Other than the year they rode Corey Dillon and that year that Brady just went mad bomber to Randy Moss, the Pats offense is designed to do one thing - shred zones. Why? Because basically every team in the NFL plays it. Particulary in the last 10-12 years in the AFC. Bellichek looked around and realized if he could consistently beat a 3-4 zone team, he would have most of the AFC's top defenses accounted for. That's why he doesn't need freakish athletes at the WR position (although the underestimation of how athletic that corps is in NE has been comical. Seriously go look up their listed #'s - respectable at worst) - they run precise routes to specific spots with precision timing. Ball is in the air before guys even turn around etc. I know this sounds like the precise situation for jamming guys at the line and manning up. It does to me as well. But there must be a reason that almost no one does this. I have no idea what it is - but no one really does it to them. They rely on pressure to disrupt the timing and stop the Pats offense.

Long story short - the Steelers simply got beat because the offense was depleted (again) and the defense is missing multiple pieces and is not ready for prime time. Am I pissed - sure. Do I think we need to blow it all up and start firing people - nope.
    Agreed. Nope. Add to this awesome team with a few more talented players, and here we go!

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I hear you. I'm not advocating throwing Butler out of the team bus over the Fort Pitt bridge. I'm simply stating that the excuse given is not an acceptable football answer.

And for the record.....Tomlin could have stepped in at any time and had Butler run any defense he thought would be most effective. It's not like he was too busy calling offensive plays or cheerleading.

They had a great run, and Butler had a lot of rookies come into his defense and grow and produce as the year went on. Kudos to him for that. As fans, we have all been losing our minds for years watching players sit on the bench for years learning the system before they were able to play. Butler has shown that it can be done, and done successfully.

They way they have structured the DL while also changing their responsibilities and allowing for more penetration to disrupt plays tells you that they want the defense to be more versatile in what they can do. I know that Golson was supposed to be a huge part of the new defense, and that his injuries the last two years have been devastating because they have had to change things from a personnel and scheme standpoint when he went down.

Maybe they are just a piece away from being able to run the man coverage seamlessly. I hope that is the case, because if they get to that point where they can play zone and play press coverage man.....they will be in a position to dictate the terms to the teams they play, and they will be in a position to beat people in multiple ways and finally match up against the Pats.

They need to grow from this, or this will continue to be a recurring result.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I hear you. I'm not advocating throwing Butler out of the team bus over the Fort Pitt bridge. I'm simply stating that the excuse given is not an acceptable football answer.

And for the record.....Tomlin could have stepped in at any time and had Butler run any defense he thought would be most effective. It's not like he was too busy calling offensive plays or cheerleading.

They had a great run, and Butler had a lot of rookies come into his defense and grow and produce as the year went on. Kudos to him for that. As fans, we have all been losing our minds for years watching players sit on the bench for years learning the system before they were able to play. Butler has shown that it can be done, and done successfully.

They way they have structured the DL while also changing their responsibilities and allowing for more penetration to disrupt plays tells you that they want the defense to be more versatile in what they can do. I know that Golson was supposed to be a huge part of the new defense, and that his injuries the last two years have been devastating because they have had to change things from a personnel and scheme standpoint when he went down.

Maybe they are just a piece away from being able to run the man coverage seamlessly. I hope that is the case, because if they get to that point where they can play zone and play press coverage man.....they will be in a position to dictate the terms to the teams they play, and they will be in a position to beat people in multiple ways and finally match up against the Pats.

They need to grow from this, or this will continue to be a recurring result.
    Yes. All of this. Great posting.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Yes,

I am starting a thread calling for a coach to be fired.

Our CBs made great headway this year and our defense came alive. The problem is, the coach HAS TO put the players in a position to make plays. Zone coverage, again? If this were the first or second, even the fourth of fifth game this year, I wouldn't be worried with rookies; but it is the AFCCG. You KNOW you will lose with Zone coverage, so at least come out in man and see if you can win it. But nope. Not at all. We go right back to Dick LeBeau Zone defense—the type of defense that teams figured out starting in December of 2000.

It's time to pick from a new tree. That also means I do NOT want to see any of our assistant coaches getting the nod. I want someone fresh​.
    You have to blame Tomlin as well. He was fine with zone against Brady when Lebeau was here and he was fine with it last Sunday.
    Hater = Realist