Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Not Too Early Goat Thread

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Re: The Not Too Early Goat Thread

I bet the Patriots didn't even scheme anything this week for their offense since they probably knew Butler wouldn't change a thing and they already knew what to do.

They probably watched cartoons all week.

I bet they binge watched that Muppets 80's cartoon. It was pretty good.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Are you kidding with BB?

Coates should have caught that ball! He really has no talent for catching the ball. Any receiver worth two shits makes that catch. Overall Ben was solid. Not his fault Haley undermined the red zone offense with shitty play calling out of shittier formations! Hello Todd! The 50's want their power T formation back! Yeah good effing job draw everyone into the tackle box and then trying to power it in by handing to a back lined up 7 yards behind the los! Yeah Ben's fault!
    Yes, Coates could have caught that ball, but that doesn't change the fact that it was underthrown.

I agree: Haley's 1st-&-goal series sucked. I don't recall blaming BB for that.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Yes, Coates could have caught that ball, but that doesn't change the fact that it was underthrown.

I agree: Haley's 1st-&-goal series sucked. I don't recall blaming BB for that.

If Coates catches the ball as he should have we're in fg range. Ball was thrown fine. Make the damn play 14!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    What game did you watch? That pass to Coates was PERFECT! It went right off of his hands. Ben was right on target for most of the game.
    I disgree. Coates had to slow up. AB catches that. Hines Ward catches that. I get it that Coates has horrible hands, which is why BB needed to leave him.

As far as the game goes, BB started off sluggish, and then he was great... and his receivers started dropping TDs and/or fumbling.

SUMMATION:
    Between the second drive of the Miami game through the garbage time of thus game, BB threw ZERO TDs.

- - - Updated - - -

If Coates catches the ball as he should have we're in fg range. Ball was thrown fine. Make the damn play 14!
    Are we talking about the same play???

Really. I think we're talking about two different plays...

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

I disgree. Coates had to slow up. AB catches that. Hines Ward catches that. I get it that Coates has horrible hands, which is why BB needed to leave him.

As far as the game goes, BB started off sluggish, and then he was great... and his receivers started dropping TDs and/or fumbling.

SUMMATION:
    Between the second drive of the Miami game through the garbage time of thus game, BB threw ZERO TDs.

- - - Updated - - -

Are we talking about the same play???

Really. I think we're talking about two different plays...
    No we're not, you just saw it different than virtually every one else.

Normally I enjoy your perspective, but that pass was fine. Coates makes that catch, first drive of the game, and things looks a whole lot different early.

No we're not, you just saw it different than virtually every one else.

Normally I enjoy your perspective, but that pass was fine. Coates makes that catch, first drive of the game, and things looks a whole lot different early.
    Maybe I am seeing it different. IDK

From my perspective, what I saw was that if Coates makes that catch, he walks in for a TD... because, he had his man beat. That said, I also remember him having to slow up.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Sure would be nice to have Ben, Bell, Brown, and Bryant all together for a full season and not hurt or suspended.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    On the throw to Coates. Watch the play again. Coates slowed down just before the ball got there because he misplayed it in the air, and then had to reach for a perfectly thrown pass that he still should have caught. Coates slowed slightly on a deep pass to the end zone in the third quarter that he also didn't go all out for. It went off his hands but he should have caught it easily if he ran all out. Again, he misjudged the ball.
    Okay. That makes sense.

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

The primary excuse for this debacle will undoubtedly be the absence of Le'Veonn Bell for 95% of the game, and while it's certainly A valid excuse, it is by far not even close to a definite reason for the myriad of poor performances across the entire team, save for a few players. Continuing that train of thought, Antonio CANNOT be faulted if he's the only reliable target on offense besides Jesse James, who did as good as you could expect. Ben was mostly accurate tonight, but for some reason was forced into attempting low percentage throws into tight coverage, and I'm not sure if it's even his fault, or Haley's fault for calling shit plays, or for the fact that we have an inexcusable amount of disposable WRs on our roster. I just can't lay too much blame on Ben's feet, especially when considering he felt consistent pressure while being protected by "The Greatest OL in the NFL." One fact is undeniable though, our game plan sucked from beginning to end, and lacked any coherent structure towards winning a conference championship, while squandering an offense that was supposed to be our greatest strength period. Period. And, period.

But no, that's not where I'm laying the majority share for this defeat, and we all know where it's going without me typing another word. With that, I will only ask "Is this defense any better than the one we had one year ago?" If you say yes to that question, then I'd be deadly curious as to why in a flying fucking shit you think so. Ok fine, the LBs have a slightly better rhythm than last year's corp, but they've been gaining hardly any more pressure on opposing QBs, and certainly none against Tom Brady. The DL is OK (albeit Cam Heyward was hurt), but our secondary is another sandwich full of shit altogether. Mitchell is shit, Davis did nothing (although he shows promise), Gay did nothing, and Cockrell did nothing. These are all glaring deficiencies which make me more than prepared to state the same thing about this defense that I was ridiculed for last season, which is: This defense is no better minus Antwon Blake than it was with him, and he was only a minor piece in an otherwise larger failure. You guys can roast me all you want again, but I really don't fucking care, because he was singled out as the primary reason we lost ball games, when I knew for a fact he wasn't our biggest problem. Am I still bitter? Yes. Did anything get fixed? No. Will I type anything into another football forum ever? I'm not sure. Whatever the case may be, be sure to afford the second chance to Artie Burns that you never afforded to Blake.

Edit: Bryant can take a fucking walk, and while I'm not judging him, he's certainly not focused on being a player in the NFL, and only served as a (another) wasted draft pick.
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Bell got hurt.

They couldn't run the ball.

Patriots loaded up to stop the run and doubled AB all night.

Ben gave all the other guys chances to make plays the entire game. They failed far too many times.

119 yards of dropped passes doesn't include any of the yards after the catch that were possible and the three definite touchdowns that were dropped or taken away in the game....plus the fumble after the catch by Rogers.

That doesn't even include the interception that was thrown to DHB 40 yards down the field. He didn't even look for the ball as Ben threw it on a line to get it in between the corner and the safety. DHB ran right by and the defender caught it. If DHB sees the ball and adjusts, he boxes out the defender with his body and he has a chance to make the catch.

It was a nightmare by the young WR's tonight. Rogers played real hard, but had the big fumble. Jesse James played pretty well, but there were also some other opportunities where he just couldn't make the catch.

Senior Member Array title="WCSteeler is on a distinguished road">

Ben was inaccurate, the drops didn't help matters but the guy just isn't up to the task on the road. Bryant won't help the fact he is not mobile and looks like a shell of his former self especially on the road. This loss was a total team collapse and looked ugly from every angle, Ben shouldn't be blamed exclusively for the loss but who can ignore his decline?

Quote Originally Posted by WCSteeler View Post
    Ben was inaccurate, the drops didn't help matters but the guy just isn't up to the task on the road. Bryant won't help the fact he is not mobile and looks like a shell of his former self especially on the road. This loss was a total team collapse and looked ugly from every angle, Ben shouldn't be blamed exclusively for the loss but who can ignore his decline?

Who can ignore your cluelessness?

Ben didn't have a great year. But he was good this game.

He's part of the solution not the problem.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Sorry, but Coates misplaying the ball in the air != Ben was inaccurate.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

We're talking about this game.

He played well tonight, but didn't get any help.

If you look at this game and decide a large portion of the blame is on Ben, you don't know what you're talking about. You were saying the same stuff all throughout the game day thread.

If you think Ben should be replaced, you're out of your mind.

Yes Coats misplaced the ball but Ben was still inaccurate. His WRS didn't give him any help on the drops but Ben on the road remained Ben on the road. The game a as destined to be a shootout due to the fact that Brady eats Texas alive who play zone coverage and that's the way the Steelers are built. 9 points at the half will not cut it, the offense was flat and I will not blame that on the loss on Bell

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

If you look at this game and decide a large portion of the blame is on Ben, you don't know what you're talking about. You were saying the same stuff all throughout the game day thread.

He says (actually he only posts when) the Steelers lose. Don't bother reading his posts.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    He says (actually he only posts when) the Steelers lose. Don't bother reading his posts.
    If someone isn't smart enough to know who the best players are on the team you supposedly watch every week, it's sad.

It's his right to come to this message board and say that. It's his opinion and he's entitled to it.

That said, it's our right to tell him he doesn't know what he's talking about and doesn't understand football.

I think the Steelers need to release Landry Jones, draft a QB and let a rookie learn from Ben. I was saying the same stuff on the GameDay thread and the Steelers mustered 1 rushing TD and then a pass TD in garbage time. I see some deline in Ben's game and I'm not the only one

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

If someone isn't smart enough to know who the best players are on the team you supposedly watch every week, it's sad.

It's his right to come to this message board and say that. It's his opinion and he's entitled to it.

That said, it's our right to tell him he doesn't know what he's talking about and doesn't understand football.
    Your correct you can say I don't understand football but I see the game as a football fan and not exclusively a Steeler fan. Ben has been the best player in the organization not to mention one of my all time favorites but the numbers will show he has declined especially on the road.

I think the Steelers need to release Landry Jones, draft a QB and let a rookie learn from Ben. I was saying the same stuff on the GameDay thread and the Steelers mustered 1 rushing TD and then a pass TD in garbage time. I see some deline in Ben's game and I'm not the only one

Yes, I know you're not the only one. Anyone can go to the game day threads throughout the entire season and read the same people say the same things over and over and blame Ben for everything. Last week, there were people blaming Ben for everything that happened in that game. There were even people still bitching when they ran an entire drive of running plays for a touchdown. The entire drive, everyone was still complaining about Ben. He also sucked in the Dolphins game that they won by 18 points according to many.

The quarterback is going to get blamed from many when things go badly. That goes with the territory. But that's a gut reaction from people that don't know the game well enough to identify the real problems. Just because you think that doesn't mean there is any basis in fact.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

BB

From the opening drive, he was off. Coates had his man beat, and BB underthrew him. Multiple times, BB had 4-5 seconds to survey the field, and still threw errant passes. I guess that I was wrong, and the aforementioned NFL Network poll was correct: BB deserved to be the lowest rated QB of the four remaining.

Hamilton didn't help by dropping TWO TD passes.

Neither did the 1st-&-goal debacle.

Math: that's 24 points left on the field.
    BB apparently disagrees

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Game plan was my goat. As soon as I saw a zone def, I turned to my wife and said this game is over. If they ever learn to adapt they will be great. I am happy with the season as they were one game away from the SB, further than I expected this year. We need a premier FA OLB and a #2 WR if we are to take the next step. Let's hope we can put that together this offseason. Go Falcons!

Junior Member Array title="Scott La Rock is an unknown quantity at this point">

Team sport and all are guilty
    … but Bell is on my shit list. Seems like there is always something. Weather in a suspension or he is hurt. Very talented but when we need him, hes not there. Always something.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

BB

From the opening drive, he was off. Coates had his man beat, and BB underthrew him. Multiple times, BB had 4-5 seconds to survey the field, and still threw errant passes. I guess that I was wrong, and the aforementioned NFL Network poll was correct: BB deserved to be the lowest rated QB of the four remaining.

Hamilton didn't help by dropping TWO TD passes.

Neither did the 1st-&-goal debacle.

Math: that's 24 points left on the field.
    Ben was perfect on that throw but why throw when 3rd in 1 to wr that has issues catching the ball and not just try for the first ? Anyhow up and down season and glad bs with great people like you Teegre. Take care and hope to bs in the future!

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    At this point the Steelers should offer Josh McDaniels head coaching money to come here and run our offense. I mean he knows how to draw up schemes that get even second rate receivers WIDE THE FUCK OPEN.
    The Pats have the best Defense-reading Quarterback in the league whos offense historically excels against Zone Defenses, going up against a team that primarily runs a Zone Defense.

That is why they are "wide the fuck open".

Don't give him too much credit. McDaniels is no Offensive genius.

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Peon View Post
    This defense is no better minus Antwon Blake than it was with him, and he was only a minor piece in an otherwise larger failure.
    Nah. Antwon Blake leaving made the defense better. He just is so bad that giving a roster spot to him is wasted. Of course it did not improve much either, but Antwon Blake was and still is one of the worst players who currently is on a 53-man NFL roster.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

I am not a Coates fan, but on that first drop, the defender did knock his forearm, just before the ball arrived. If roles are reversed, I'm pretty there is a flag on the play. I don't understand why the announcers didn't even mention the defender on Coates.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    I am not a Coates fan, but on that first drop, the defender did knock his forearm, just before the ball arrived. If roles are reversed, I'm pretty there is a flag on the play. I don't understand why the announcers didn't even mention the defender on Coates.
    Coates is horrible and has heck of talent but can't catch! No matter the talent if you can catch worthless!