Thread: Pass on first down?

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Pass on first down?

Ben's completion rate is good well into the third quarter while we are averaging less than 3 yards per carry.

Why not pass on first down?
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Re: Pass on first down?

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Ben's completion rate is good well into the third quarter while we are averaging less than 3 yards per carry.

Why not pass on first down?

They played right into Belichicks hands. He had everyone in front 7 playing disciplined gap integrity, and also having a safety walk up to stuff the run.

Once again, the lack of play action built into this offense is staggering when you have the best RB in the NFL. I don't understand it.

Ben was very good tonight. He gave a bunch of our young guys a chance to make plays and make a difference in this game. They failed to help him tonight. I thought that Ben had to play well for the team to have a chance to win going in to this game. I think Ben gave them a chance if they caught everything he put on the money. Even with that, it may not have been enough because of the horrible defense.

Passing on first down would have helped, but I just think too many of the young guys had tough games tonight. It was one mistake after another.

I'm glad they got the experience because they will learn from this game going forward. Without fixing what was happening on the defensive side of the ball, it's tough for any offense to succeed when you need to be perfect and score every time you have the ball.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: Pass on first down?

Passing long on 3rd and 1 is crazy on the road in the playoffs. Get the first downs. Keep the drive alive and keep Brady off the field and keep momentum on your side. It worked in the only win that Tomlin has ever gotten against Brady.