Thread: Trump inauguration speech

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Trump inauguration speech

Yinz know I'm not a fan of the Donald, but I *do* have to give him props for his inauguration speech. I thought it was excellent; perhaps the best during my lifetime since Reagan's first inauguration.

If you're a fan, you should see it. If you hate his guts you *really* should see it.
    -Slashy
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Trump inauguration speech

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Yinz know I'm not a fan of the Donald, but I *do* have to give him props for his inauguration speech. I thought it was excellent; perhaps the best during my lifetime since Reagan's first inauguration.

If you're a fan, you should see it. If you hate his guts you *really* should see it.
    -Slashy
    Thanks Slash. I will try to watch this.

I don't mean to be negative but it seems like politicians have to make so many back door promises and concessions to get to the top, and deal with so much politics once elected, that even with the best of intentions going in, it is hard to steer this country in the right direction.

Fingers crossed.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

So much for "looking out for the little guy"...

An hour after Donald Trump assumed the presidency Friday, his administration indefinitely suspended a pending rate cut for mortgage insurance required for FHA-backed loans, which are popular with first-time home buyers and those with poor credit.

The move by the Department of Housing and Urban Development — one of the first acts of Trump’s administration — reversed a policy announced in the waning days of the Obama presidency that would have trimmed insurance premiums for typical borrowers by hundreds of dollars a year.
    HUD suspends FHA mortgage insurance rate cut an hour after Trump takes office

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Do you think Obama should be setting insurance rates and not the markets?

Also, why did Obama wait until his end of days to initiate this?

My guess is Obama knew Trump would see it did not make sense and reverse it so that people would say Trump is mean to the little guy.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Risk and the market is supposed to set rates, not the president.

We have seen what happens when the government gets involved in lending.

Also, why did Obama wait until his end of days to initiate this?

My guess is simply because he knew Trump would reverse it and then people would whine about how mean Trump is to the little guy even though things went back to exactly how they were.
    Exactly this. The implosion of the economy into the "great recession" was triggered by FHA policies that distorted the signals in the market. This created a moral hazard where FHA was initiating loans to people who couldn't afford to repay them and then passing on the bad debt as an investment vehicle. We all saw the result of that, and some of us are still trying to recover.
    Good intentions and executive power cannot override the laws of physics. They merely open the door to disaster for the very people you wish to help.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

It was a positive speech. Time to turn all that talk into action and make the changes he promised for over a year

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

The mortgage rate cut averaged $29 per month. Who knows what the actual cost was with over regulation?
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

So do you think Trump had reason to make that move or he just said "On my first day in office, I'm going to fuck the little guy just because." ?
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG Ī-

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

-Slashy
    George Will, no liberal snowflake, was somewhat less enthusiastic.

Twenty minutes into his presidency, Donald Trump, who is always claiming to have made, or to be about to make, astonishing history, had done so. Living down to expectations, he had delivered the most dreadful inaugural address in history....

Because in 1981 the inauguration ceremony for a cheerful man from the American West was moved from the Capitol’s East Portico to its West Front, Trump stood facing west, down the Mall with its stately monuments celebrating some of those who made America great — Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln. Looking out toward where the fields of the republic roll on, Trump, a Gatsby-for-our-time, said: “What truly matters is not which party controls our government but whether our government is controlled by the people.” Well.

“A dependence on the people,” James Madison wrote, “is, no doubt, the primary control on the government; but experience has taught mankind the necessity of auxiliary precautions.” He meant the checks and balances of our constitutional architecture. They are necessary because, as Madison anticipated and as the nation was reminded on Friday, “Enlightened statesmen will not always be at the helm.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.55a60a31664d

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post

Twenty minutes into his presidency, Donald Trump, who is always claiming to have made, or to be about to make, astonishing history, had done so. Living down to expectations, he had delivered the most dreadful inaugural address in history....

Because in 1981 the inauguration ceremony for a cheerful man from the American West was moved from the Capitol’s East Portico to its West Front, Trump stood facing west, down the Mall with its stately monuments celebrating some of those who made America great — Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln. Looking out toward where the fields of the republic roll on, Trump, a Gatsby-for-our-time, said: “What truly matters is not which party controls our government but whether our government is controlled by the people.” Well.

“A dependence on the people,” James Madison wrote, “is, no doubt, the primary control on the government; but experience has taught mankind the necessity of auxiliary precautions.” He meant the checks and balances of our constitutional architecture. They are necessary because, as Madison anticipated and as the nation was reminded on Friday, “Enlightened statesmen will not always be at the helm.”

AtlantaDan,
    I have a lot of respect for George Will and share a lot of his misgivings. Hell, I probably have *more* misgivings than he has. But George Will is a part of the Washington establishment and is expected to be critical of Trump, especially since Trump is far from a conservative.
    None of that goes to how good (or bad) his address was. George Will just didn't like what Trump had to say. I personally thought it was a great speech, even if I disagreed with a lot of the content.

Best,
    -Slashy

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

- - - Updated - - -

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

AtlantaDan,
    I have a lot of respect for George Will and share a lot of his misgivings. Hell, I probably have *more* misgivings than he has. But George Will is a part of the Washington establishment and is expected to be critical of Trump, especially since Trump is far from a conservative.
    None of that goes to how good (or bad) his address was. George Will just didn't like what Trump had to say. I personally thought it was a great speech, even if I disagreed with a lot of the content.

Best,
    -Slashy
    I thought it was an effective version of Trump's campaign speech - FWIW an inaugural address usually is not a replay of the campaign's greatest hits but most often has some sort of outreach and attempt at reconciliation in divisive times. From a purely practical standpoint, if you lost the popular vote while entering office with the lowest approval ratings of any President since that question has been polled it might not be a best practice to double down on the attacks and arrogance with these sorts of statements.

America will start winning again, winning like never before.
    The Greatest Generation that fought World War II says hello

We will be protected by the great men and women of our military and law enforcement and, most importantly, we are protected by God.
    A more modest view on whether the role of the Almighty can be so assured was articulated in his Second Inaugural Address by Abraham Lincoln at a time of bona fide American carnage - "Both read the same Bible and pray to the same God, and each invokes His aid against the other. It may seem strange that any men should dare to ask a just God's assistance in wringing their bread from the sweat of other men's faces, but let us judge not, that we be not judged.... The Almighty has His own purposes."

You came by the tens of millions to become part of a historic movement the likes of which the world has never seen before.
    Seriously? History has seen a lot of movements with a lot of lasting consequences.

I admit I have been waiting for Trump to fall on his face since he announced his candidacy and have been consistently wrong (despite my write in vote for John Kasich in November that did not turn the tide ). But he might want to consider this statement on the downside of constantly being on the attack.

Dan

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

Bottom line is that the people who voted for Trump won't be brain washed by the Media. A lady on Fox News, don't know here name but she has black hair and as wearing blue shirt, get's "it". The speech is interpreted by your view; people against Trump hated it and people for Trump liked it.

Well guess what, people FOR Trump have a bigger voice.
    “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.”
    ― Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by BnG_Hevn View Post
    Bottom line is that the people who voted for Trump won't be brain washed by the Media. A lady on Fox News, don't know here name but she has black hair and as wearing blue shirt, get's "it". The speech is interpreted by your view; people against Trump hated it and people for Trump liked it.

Well guess what, people FOR Trump have a bigger voice.
    Maybe not as big as Trump would lead you to believe

Wall Street Journal columnist Peggy Noonan is a former speechwriter for Ronald Reagan and no liberal - she has these words of warning in this excerpt from her linked column about the speech

President Trump Declares Independence

We are two nations, maybe more.

Normally a new president has someone backing him up, someone publicly behind him. Mr. Obama had the mainstream media—the big broadcast networks, big newspapers, activists and intellectuals, pundits and columnists of the left—the whole shebang. He had a unified, passionate party. Mr. Trump in comparison has almost nothing. The mainstream legacy media oppose him, even hate him, and will not let up. The columnists, thinkers and magazines of the right were mostly NeverTrump; some came reluctantly to support him. His party is split or splitting. The new president has gradations of sympathy, respect or support from exactly one cable news channel, and some websites.

He really has no one but those who voted for him.

Do they understand what a lift daily governance is going to be, and how long the odds are, with so much arrayed against him, and them?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/presiden...nce-1484956174

With the Steelers season over I will not be viewing/posting much until the draft and then when training camp starts up in 6 months.

We will see how events have shaken out by then

Dan

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

I think they need to be more choosy on what they say via Shiner.

What exactly are "alternative facts" that KellyAnne is speaking of?
    “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.”
    ― Clint Eastwood

Ū Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Well let's hope he wins the next presidency. If a Democrat wins expect crime, energy prices, food prices, gas prices, poverty, homelessness etc... to rise even further. Unfortunately, Democrat voters are told how to vote. If for some reason they are disobeying orders the Democrats will try to interfere with the election. For example, keeping Trump off the ballot.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Rocky Mtn. has a spectacular aura about">

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Well let's hope he wins the next presidency. If a Democrat wins expect crime, energy prices, food prices, gas prices, poverty, homelessness etc... to rise even further. Unfortunately, Democrat voters are told how to vote. If for some reason they are disobeying orders the Democrats will try to interfere with the election. For example, keeping Trump off the ballot.
    You left out open borders . The Dems and Republicans that comprise the swamp that Trump talks about are nuts. Beware of the crazy shit that'll happen over the next 10 months. The swamp is desperate and nuts. Theyve already proven what extent they'll go to,to win an election. Trump is killing the bobblehead by alot this time so their measures will be more extreme. Step one is trying to take him out through the courts. If that doesn't work,and it's looking like it won't, what happens when they up the ante?

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Mtn. View Post
    You left out open borders . The Dems and Republicans that comprise the swamp that Trump talks about are nuts. Beware of the crazy shit that'll happen over the next 10 months. The swamp is desperate and nuts. Theyve already proven what extent they'll go to,to win an election. Trump is killing the bobblehead by alot this time so their measures will be more extreme. Step one is trying to take him out through the courts. If that doesn't work,and it's looking like it won't, what happens when they up the ante?
    WWIII happens

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    WWIII happens
    Not a stretch by any means. Something is undoubtedly coming . Life disregarding crazy bastages.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    That's all the suffering country needs going from one dopey buffoon back to a previous communistic buffoon whose trying to load the country with yes men that have never held an office before.

Two parties and neither one can come up with a competent candidate...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    That's all the suffering country needs going from one dopey buffoon back to a previous communistic buffoon whose trying to load the country with yes men that have never held an office before.

Two parties and neither one can come up with a competent candidate...
    How is Trump a communist? Can't wait to hear your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityboyz View Post
    How is Trump a communist? Can't wait to hear your reply.
    Me as well.It has to be something along the lines of "the media and the left says it's so".
    Last edited by Rocky Mtn.; 01-14-2024 at 02:03 PM.

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Me as well.It has to be something along the lines of "the media and the left says it's so".
    Trump wasn't in bed with communist china like the imbecile that's in the white house now.

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityboyz View Post
    Trump wasn't in bed with communist china like the imbecile that's in the white house now.
    You know the saying SCB. If you want to know what the swamp is up to , just listen to what they accuse their opponents of.

You know the saying SCB. If you want to know what the swamp is up to , just listen to what they accuse their opponents of.
    True that!

Senior Member Array title="Penglose is just really nice">

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post

If you follow politics, George Will has been moving to the left for some time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Penglose View Post
    If you follow politics, George Will has been moving to the left for some time now.
    Quite some time actually.

Senior Member Array title="Penglose is just really nice">

Quite some time actually.
    He is a liberal snowflake now.

Quote Originally Posted by Penglose View Post
    He is a liberal snowflake now.
    Sad.