Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Global warming my ass

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Global warming my ass

here we are about to hit July and I can't count the sub 80 degree days we have had here locally this month alone .... normally its 80-90 every day this year we have had 60s in June for a high with mostly 70s and a handful of 80s .... but hey the Government says if we pay them more taxes they can keep it cooler ..... any cooler and my furnace might kick on at night in the summer months !!

60s for a high means 50s for a low ..... make it cooler and on comes furnace at 4am

oh snap forget I said anything they changed their mind its not global warming anymore its climate change because they do not have the data to support Global warming as every cooler than normal day we have eats up a portion of their credibility

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

Re: Global warming my ass

they have rebranded from global warming to just climate change. you know because the earth's climate has been the same for millions of years. but dont worry, NY just banned wood fire pizza's so we're saved !!! ...i mean they could have banned private jets and yachts, but the pizza thing will help just as much right ?

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="Orion has a reputation beyond repute"> Orion's Avatar

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    they have rebranded from global warming to just climate change. you know because the earth's climate has been the same for millions of years. but dont worry, NY just banned wood fire pizza's so we're saved !!! ...i mean they could have banned private jets and yachts, but the pizza thing will help just as much right ?
    No, no, it's not climate change, you're so 2006. It is a climate CRISIS. Or better yet, a climate EMERGENCY.

I mean, never mind that there is a finite amount of greenhouse gas that it is possible to release, and that the maximum effect of that falls far short of a catastrophe. We are going to be like Venus because some liberal shitheads who only read the headlines and have no concept of scale whatsoever said it's a crisis. In fact, that's where just about every bad idea comes from these days.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="DuckHodges has a reputation beyond repute"> DuckHodges's Avatar

i see a lot of people bought into the koch brothers' kool-aid lol
    Formerly known as Fire Goodell

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

It was 92* at Universal Studios in Orlando yesterday. The Cat in the Hat and Grinch were sweating their nuts off in costume.
    All Defense!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="willy has a reputation beyond repute"> willy's Avatar

A little global warming for you:

July 3, 2023

NBC 5 Meteorologist Samantha Davies explains why July 3, 2023 was the Earth's hottest day ever according to NOAA. The hottest day ever on Earth happened on July 3, 2023. The average global temperature reached 62.62 degrees Fahrenheit.
    https://www.nbcdfw.com/weather/weath...%20Fahrenheit.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The day I read a scientist say that the warming of Mars and consequently, the sun growing hotter might be one of the reasons for global warming on earth, I lost any trust I might have had in the "experts."

Of course, there's a thousand other questions I have, such as why the measuring instruments are found on concrete islands that are just getting bigger (thus reflecting more sun and heat), why instruments are being placed within a few feet of air-conditional exchangers, why an Ozone hole opened and suddenly closed over Kennebunkport Maine while George H. W. Bush was running for the presidency (amazing how it went away as soon as he was no longer president), how can paying some money for carbon offset can somehow mean your no longer responsible for putting the carbon in the air in the first place, why does Kyoto and other treaties often exempt the worst offenders, so on and so forth.

Look, it's simple. We can't introduce things into the air and not expect changes. But stop the fear-mongering, hyper-chihuahua barking idiocy that has proven false time and again. Sit down at the table and get to work on real ways forward, ways that include proven non-carbon emission sources of energy like dams and nuclear power plants. Reintroduce uranium enrichment that allows used pellets to be reused several times, vastly shortening the half life.

Until things like that happen, no one on the global-warming side will be able to convince others that this is nothing more than a pound of political BS built on an ounce of truth.

Senior Member Array title="willy has a reputation beyond repute"> willy's Avatar

And yet again:

Earth’s average temperature matches record high set a day earlier

https://apnews.com/article/global-he...692db1a37efe23

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

at risk of repeating myself for the slow people ....

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    at risk of repeating myself ....

Don't take the risk, please.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A little global warming for you:

The scorching summer of 2023 reaches ‘mind-blowing’ high temperatures

Death Valley hit 129°F (120°F at night), China set its all-time heat record, and a heatwave continues to roast Europe.

by Jeff Masters and Bob Henson July 17, 2023

[Leer en español]

The closest thing to a globe-encircling heat wave continues to bake many Northern Hemisphere locations during mid-July, 2023. Heat near or above all-time highs is surging in locations from Reno, Nevada, to Rome, Italy, and from geographies ranging from desert outposts to the sea surface. Many more records are expected to melt this week, as a consolidating El Niño pattern continues to release greenhouse-gas-trapped heat into the atmosphere that was stored in the ocean during three years of La Niña conditions.

https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2...oast%20Europe.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

at risk of repeating myself for the slow people ....

Ok. I will bite. What is your point with this graphic? Because this is the text from the website it is sourced from:

"Presently, we are experiencing an abnormally long interglacial called the Holocene that has lasted nearly 11,000 years. A new glaciation has been expected to begin; however, due to human induced climate change or anthropogenic climate change, the next glaciation is being delayed anywhere from a few thousand to hundreds of thousands of years." -- https://energyeducation.ca/encyclopedia/Glacial_and_interglacial_periods#cite_note-7

For what it is worth, for most of our development as a species it has basically been colder than it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Ok. I will bite. What is your point with this graphic? Because this is the text from the website it is sourced from:

"Presently, we are experiencing an abnormally long interglacial called the Holocene that has lasted nearly 11,000 years. A new glaciation has been expected to begin; however, due to human induced climate change or anthropogenic climate change, the next glaciation is being delayed anywhere from a few thousand to hundreds of thousands of years." -- https://energyeducation.ca/encyclopedia/Glacial_and_interglacial_periods#cite_note-7

For what it is worth, for most of our development as a species it has basically been colder than it is now.

its a cycle look at the graph , the world goes through changes constantly

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

its a cycle look at the graph , the world goes through changes constantly
    Sure, that is totally true.

But the Holocene (latest interglacial) has been extended beyond what previous warming cycles have lasted for and it is trending warmer each year - another odd behavior for interglacial periods.

Also, the peaks and valleys on that graph can look very different depending on the time scale you use.

For instance, we can look at just the holocene itself:

Or we can look at just the last few thousand years - the black vertical on the graph below:

What these two show is that regardless of cause - human civilization as we know it has always existed in a really narrow band of climate outcomes. Make it too warm or too cold and we basically all die off. It has happened several times before. Many believe that climate changes have driven the collapse of multiple civilizations across the globe during the last 5 thousand years. During the medieval period a small change in climate (this one was a cooling event) had a major part to play in the "Dark Ages". A warming event at the end of the stone age may have spurred humans to develop agriculture and cities. Even further back, before the Holocene, dramatic climate changes have had massive impacts on the development and evolution of our species. Several pre modern human ancestor species went extinct due to their inability to adapt to changing environmental conditions. Changes in climate likely led to not only the dominant position of primates but sent our earliest ancestors scurrying out of the trees and charting a course of development that led to human beings.

Long story short -- we are incredibly sensitive to disruptions in climate by a handful of degrees either direction. And the current trends in the graphs and models indicate that we are leaving the band that has historically allowed human groups to thrive and entering a temperature/climate spectrum we have historically not done well in.

We can debate the causes and the solutions and the responsibility; but the impacts of even a handful of degree temp rise and the associated other environmental changes are not going to be fun.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

The question is: If we go all electric cars, kill off 90% of the cows/cattle, stop burning coal, get rid of all the natural gas stoves/ranges (hot water heaters, now) how long before the climate goes back to what no one really knows is normal? The whole thing is a bunch of hooey, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    The question is: If we go all electric cars, kill off 90% of the cows/cattle, stop burning coal, get rid of all the natural gas stoves/ranges (hot water heaters, now) how long before the climate goes back to what no one really knows is normal? The whole thing is a bunch of hooey, IMO.
    Depends on how much you tax it.

Show me a time in earths history where the climate never changed.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    Yup. And you being a Steelers fan.... how do you make steel without it?

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    Yup. And you being a Steelers fan.... how do you make steel without it?
    well you can use coke ...ohh wait coke comes from coal so nevermind

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

A couple of things to think about, and I’m only picking one today. Electric cars. First of all, the CO2 emissions from the production of lithium ion batteries is tremendous. I would copy and paste the information that I’ve read, but can’t seem to do it from a tablet. Secondly, the supply chain of the materials that go into the batteries. We don’t mine any of the raw materials. Thirdly, we have a tiny fraction of the infrastructure to support millions of electric cars. It could take decades to achieve that. Forth, where is all that massive amount of additional electricity going to come from. Are we going to build more nuclear power plants? Everyone with a wind turbine on the top of their house? Everyone with solar panels? Lastly, the disposal/recycling of lithium batteries, wind turbine vanes, and solar panels is very problematic and will include adding to landfills or burning, that will create more CO2. Something to think about before mandating policies. I’m all in favor of reducing carbon emissions, but people are taking the wrong approach. The you have to do this, by this date, is not only unrealistic, but dangerous. Just my thoughts.

just in case you forgot what products come from oil

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    A couple of things to think about, and I’m only picking one today. Electric cars. First of all, the CO2 emissions from the production of lithium ion batteries is tremendous. I would copy and paste the information that I’ve read, but can’t seem to do it from a tablet. Secondly, the supply chain of the materials that go into the batteries. We don’t mine any of the raw materials. Thirdly, we have a tiny fraction of the infrastructure to support millions of electric cars. It could take decades to achieve that. Forth, where is all that massive amount of additional electricity going to come from. Are we going to build more nuclear power plants? Everyone with a wind turbine on the top of their house? Everyone with solar panels? Lastly, the disposal/recycling of lithium batteries, wind turbine vanes, and solar panels is very problematic and will include adding to landfills or burning, that will create more CO2. Something to think about before mandating policies. I’m all in favor of reducing carbon emissions, but people are taking the wrong approach. The you have to do this, by this date, is not only unrealistic, but dangerous. Just my thoughts.
    The answer has always been to invest more in public transportation, subways, trains, rail lines. These should be in all medium to big cities. With rail or train lines connecting cities. We are really behind in this. The auto industry and its lobbyists are the main culprits in preventing this from happening. Maybe instead of sending hundreds of billions to Zelensky and his cronies we fix our transportation system?

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    The answer has always been to invest more in public transportation, subways, trains, rail lines. These should be in all medium to big cities. With rail or train lines connecting cities. We are really behind in this. The auto industry and its lobbyists are the main culprits in preventing this from happening. Maybe instead of sending hundreds of billions to Zelensky and his cronies we fix our transportation system?
    Not really my point at all…..but okay, we have the largest number of metro systems in the world. Could there be more, I’m sure, but who exactly are we behind? I can take a train just about anywhere I’d like to go, and I often do. I’ve taken the high speed Acela train to Washington numerous times. I’ve taken the Silver Star and Silver Meteor to New York (Very civilized way to travel). I’ve taken the Chicago Limited from Pittsburgh to Chicago. I’d love to see more lines, but to bring this back to my real point…..to do that, you need tons more rail, more tunnels dug, much more rail inventory, (engines, cars, maintenance vehicles,etc). What do you suppose the carbon footprint would be on all of that. If you are going to redirect (we’ve only sent 75 billion in support of stalling the spread of Communism, not hundreds of billions), tax dollars…..have a plan don’t just throw money at it. The federal government is not responsible for city and municipality mass transit. They will help with the cost, but it’s up to that city and municipality to come up with creative ways to finance. The closest thing we have to a national railway system is Amtrak, and I have had good luck with them. Blanket statements don’t really achieve much of anything.