Thread: How Pittsburgh’s O-line is driving the Steelers’ playoff push

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

How Pittsburgh’s O-line is driving the Steelers’ playoff push

They won’t get much of the ink when it comes to game previews, but some of the most important units heading into Conference Championship weekend are the offensive lines of the remaining teams. In fact, all four of the teams still in playoff contention feature top-10 ranked offensive lines this season.

We saw the Seattle Seahawks falter this weekend largely because of the performance of a unit that they have dedicated next to no resources to, while the offensive lines that are still in the hunt have all been integral to the success, or at least improvement, their team has seen this season, rather than a hindrance.

Atlanta’s giant leap forward owes much to the team’s offensive line, enabling QB Matt Ryan to produce an MVP-caliber season and giving the team a much-improved foundation for the running game. Meanwhile, Tom Brady’s job has been made much easier by a New England offensive line that no longer needs to be actively propped up by his work within the pocket.

Green Bay boasts the league’s best pass-blocking unit, which allows Aaron Rodgers to do some of the crazy Aaron Rodgers-type things that only he is capable of, and the Steelers have put together one of the league’s best units up front, which is suddenly not only without a weakness, but playing its best football entering Conference Championship weekend.

Pittsburgh has first-round picks invested in its line in the form of center Maurkice Pouncey and right guard David DeCastro, but the Steelers also have undrafted free agents like Ramon Foster, and a player in Alejandro Villanueva—who was once a wideout at Army—playing left tackle and protecting the blind side of QB Ben Roethlisberger.

read more

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro...m_campaign=nfl

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: How Pittsburgh’s O-line is driving the Steelers’ playoff push

I love this quote:

From Week 11 onwards, Villanueva was the sixth-best tackle in the game over the regular season, and including the playoffs, jumps to No. 1 overall.
    You think this guy is not playing at a high level? Wow. The sky is the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I love this quote:

But why not give a first round pick for Joe Thomas if we go in the AFC Title game ?!

Quote Originally Posted by #CRASHFormation View Post
    Incorrect. I said trade a #2 pick for Joe Thomas, with the condition that it goes to a #1 if they reach the AFC title game.

If you had the choice of trading the #29 pick in the draft in exchange for two playoff wins this season, would you do it?

I would, and wouldn't think twice.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

I can only think of the wasted years over Ben's career where he took a beating behind a Swiss cheese OL. Sometimes it was of his own account and others it was lack of talent to protect him.
    All Defense!

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Mach V!

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

I love this quote:

thats bonkers. he might get an extension this season as well
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Mach V!
    We have kidded him a lot over the years, but cold-hard-steel has finally been rewarded for standing behind the OL and always having their backs the way he has.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Someone has to photoshop Bell in there some how.

Banned Array title="LloydWoodson is a glorious beacon of light">

I love this quote:

Had a Chiefs fan complain that J Houston didn't do anything vs Steelers so I told him Gilbert was one of the best pass blocking T in football and even shut out Von. Then I asked what side Houston plays mostly and he said ROLB. Thrn I thought "Damn... Villanueva is really coming along."

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The way this line is playing, they are at worst third in the league...at worst...but probably second best and arguably the best right now. Let's just hope there are no injuries suffered this week if they get past the Patriots...53...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    We have kidded him a lot over the years, but cold-hard-steel has finally been rewarded for standing behind the OL and always having their backs the way he has.

Yep, gotta give props when its due. He stayed faithful while we gave him crap for years.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Steelers O-line gets props in this SI.com article on the O-lines playing this Sunday

Analyzing the masterful offensive-line play of teams in NFL conference championship

http://www.si.com/nfl/2017/01/19/pac...-championships

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    amazing body transformation
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    The way this line is playing, they are at worst third in the league...at worst...but probably second best and arguably the best right now. Let's just hope there are no injuries suffered this week if they get past the Patriots...53...
    Saw on another thread about how Tunch actually feels pretty good about this game because our line is better than the Patriots on both sides. I never really thought twice about that possibility before but he makes a good point. I'm really not scared of the patriot's pass rush to be honest. Jamie Collins has been traded since we last played, and now their best guy is Trey Flowers? Um, ok. And their guys are excellent, but not as excellent as our interior O-line. 2 All-Pro's, and Foster having his best season ever? Advantage us. Not to mention I'll bet on Bell vs. any defensive line right now. The Patriots Interior O-line is exploitable. One of their guards is athletic, but really undersized. The other guard is a rookie. The center is the weak link of the O-line and the texans really took advantage of that. Javon Hargrave and Stephon Tuitt are stud interior pass rushers. So are Ryan Shazier and Lawrence Timmons. We have a real opportunity here to hit Brady in the mouth.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Gun he makes me feel a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...c-championship

Just one more article that shows that Munchak is a wizard, not a coach. I'm very happy to eat a bunch of my words about AV. I argued with many on here that AV was not as good as he seemed because of plays like the ones at the top of the post in the link. We can see that this is no longer a problem. Glad to see that I was wrong!

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Apparently, Joe Starkey called these guys out on a few occasions... especially last game .vs the Chiefs. Foster and Villanueva called him out on an interview Tuesday. It was on The Fan 93.7 podcast. Pretty funny

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Glad he is signed until 2020.

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

LOL You have to be a believer . Never gets old .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Mach V!
    OH "Count" you called that one. Good call. LOL
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .