Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin Calls Patriots ‘A–holes,’ Expresses Frustration At NFL’s Scheduling

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin Calls Patriots ‘A–holes,’ Expresses Frustration At NFL’s Scheduling

BOSTON (CBS) — Call it “Spygate 2.0.” But this time, the Patriots are merely bystanders.Steelers All-Pro wide receiver Antonio Brown was capturing live video on Facebook late Sunday evening in a victorious locker room after Pittsburgh had defeated the Kansas City Chiefs. The game had been moved from a 1 p.m. ET start to 8:20 p.m. ET due to ice storms in the area that would have made it dangerous for fans to get to the stadium earlier in the day.
    In that locker room, head coach Mike Tomlin addressed the team, and he described the Patriots — who are next week’s opponent — using a less-than-endearing term. He also expressed some frustration that his team has less time to prepare for next week’s AFC Championship Game.
    “When you get to this point in the journey, man, not a lot needs to be said. Let’s say very little moving forward. Let’s start our preparation,” Tomlin, who could not be seen on camera, told the team. “We spotted them [a–holes] a day-and-a-half. They played yesterday; our game got moved to tonight. We’re gonna touch down at 4 o’clock in the [expletive] morning. So be it. We’ll be ready for that ass. But you ain’t got to tell them that we’re coming.”
    After Tomlin’s speech, another voice shouted to the room: “Be cool on social media, man! This is about us, nobody else, man!”
    Brown himself was too busy playing on Facebook Live and marveling at the number of viewers rise to have caught that message.
    Then, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger addressed the team and again reiterated the importance of not saying anything inflammatory this week.
    “It’s a lion’s den. I’ve been there. A lot of us has been there. This ain’t gonna be fun,” Roethlisberger said. “Keep your mouth shut. Let’s play Steeler football and be a Steeler all week.”
    Tomlin’s expressed frustrations with playing in New England before. When his Steelers lost on opening night to the Patriots to kick off the 2015 season, he complained after the game that he was receiving the 98.5 The Sports Hub radio broadcast of the game in his headset.
    IMO kind of irresponsible of AB (or anyone) to have FB live going in the background... things are always said in the locker room that isn't meant
    to be said out loud. Now those aholes in NE have the bulletin board material they need. Video gets interested at about the 2:10 mark..
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Re: Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin Calls Patriots ‘A–holes,’ Expresses Frustration At NFL’s Scheduling

They ARE assholes. But yeah, really dumb move by AB to have the locker room on simulcast.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Re: Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin Calls Patriots ‘A–holes,’ Expresses Frustration At NFL’s Scheduling

I'm not worried about it. I'm sure every team says things like this about their opponents.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    They ARE assholes. But yeah, really dumb move by AB to have the locker room on simulcast.
    And having his back turned while his head coach is addressing the team postgame

Really not worried about the Pats getting motivated because Tomlin called them assholes - he already is on record about what he thinks of Belichick and the Pats

This on Spygate

When new Steelers coach Mike Tomlin first heard about the incident with the New England cameraman in New York, he said at his weekly press conference, "Where there's smoke, there's fire.''

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/2...s/200802150203

And this on the Steelers coaches headsets not working at Gillette in 2015

Tomlin, asked about the headsets going out:
    “That’s always the case.”
    “Here?”
    “Yes. I said what I said."

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/9/10/93...tegate-spygate

I would think a shot at the Super Bowl would be motivation enough for the Pats

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Collect phones rather than guns...at the door.

- - - Updated - - -

Tomlin just has to deal with this shit in ALL of the pressers.

- - - Updated - - -

AB: Sorry coach

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Never a good sign when I find myself agreeing with Brady

Brady was asked about the video, which he did not see, but was told what Brown said.
    “That’s against our team policy, so I don’t think that would go over well with our coach,” Brady said.
    Added Brady: “Every coach has a different style. Our coach, he’s been in the league for 42 years and he’s pretty old school. He’s not into social media and I think he lets everyone know that. I think our team has a policy, we don’t show anything that should be private because he feels when we are inside our stadium, inside the walls, there has to be a degree of privacy that we have. What’s done in the locker room should stay in the locker room.”

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/...ith-our-coach/

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Well............. another rallying point for the players to back up Tomlin. First the cheerleader comment and now they have to back up Tomlin and beat those a-holes.

All is well that ends well.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Whom ever said that football players are smart was a liar. Antonio is one helluva wr, but this is absolutely DUMB. I hope this motivates AB to have the best game ever to show his teammates he has their backs.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

He's not into social media. Just "old school" media like cameras.....

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    He's not into social media. Just "old school" media like cameras.....
    And headsets...

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Seriously, Tomlin needs to have a talk with AB. That's some complete B.S. there. You don't broadcast what goes on in the locker room out to the world. Very stupid.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I notice nobody's bringing a law suit for slander........

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I can't get over how dumb AB was there. Just plain stupid... he should be fined and banned from Facebook by the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    Seriously, Tomlin needs to have a talk with AB. That's some complete B.S. there. You don't broadcast what goes on in the locker room out to the world. Very stupid.
    Agree 100%. If it were regular season, I'd bench him for a half...

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Whatever he called them assholes. They are assholes

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I can't get over how dumb AB was there. Just plain stupid... he should be fined and banned from Facebook by the team.
    Controlling AB's behavior is like playing whack a mole. Stop it in one place and it pops up someplace else.

It took half a season to get the special gameday shoes and celebration issues straightened out - now this.

AB simply dreads the possibility that nobody is paying attention to him.

The actual comments are nothing that any other coach hasn't said a billion times about other teams. It's just that you don't want it thrown out there in public...

I honestly have no problem with it. After all, in the lockerroom, don't you assume there's video cameras from the media playing all the time, now? Any one of the local or even national press members could have been in there with cameras going.

As for Tomlin's remarks. They weren't directed at anyone. It was a generic statement meant to diminish the opposition. It has nothing to do with any specific player or coach on the team. Overall, much ado about nothing . . . which means it'll get blown up way out of proportion in a week where there's only two games and 24-hour sports coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I honestly have no problem with it. After all, in the lockerroom, don't you assume there's video cameras from the media playing all the time, now? Any one of the local or even national press members could have been in there with cameras going.

As for Tomlin's remarks. They weren't directed at anyone. It was a generic statement meant to diminish the opposition. It has nothing to do with any specific player or coach on the team. Overall, much ado about nothing . . . which means it'll get blown up way out of proportion in a week where there's only two games and 24-hour sports coverage.
    Agreed Tomlin's comments are not a big deal

The real issue is Brown's latest "look at me" conduct which, as was the case with his repeated 15 yard celebration penalties, once again takes down his team.

I am highly confident Tomlin spoke before any non-league media reps were given postgame access to the locker room. The league's NFL Films propaganda unit may have been in there for video that might be used in a season's highlight package or NFL Network sounds of the game piece (which often includes stirring postgame team prayers and inspirational comments by the head coach) - but access to that video is tightly controlled by the league office and the team.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Who cares? I get the keep it in the family stuff. But like if professional athletes playing for a chance to go to the SB need the motivation of someone calling them an a-hole like a freshman girls volleyball team would - then sweet googley-moogley I might just stop watching the NFL.

Senior Member Array title="Method28 is a name known to all">

I don't see what the big deal is. I really don't. Probably shouldn't have done it but people are taking this too far.

Tomlin didnt say anything that was incorrect. On ESPN Max keeps calling it ironic as Tomlin is saying we dont have to let em know we're coming... who cares?! They know who's coming, they know what time the game is 😁😁😁

Btw, they ARE ***holes. Thats no secret either.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

AB makes it all good with another 3 touch down game, and no celebration penalties.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Whatever ....

to me, Tomlin context was that any opponent are "a-holes"

if NE needs this to get them up for the game - then they are a-holes.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/z...s/201701160120

Paul Zeise: Mike Tomlin calling out the Patriots is great

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

It's all TMZ-esk nonsense. Just like NBC showing Joey Porter on the sidelines, Trash storylines
    "It comes with the Territory" - Floyd 'Money' Mayweather

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Who cares? I get the keep it in the family stuff. But like if professional athletes playing for a chance to go to the SB need the motivation of someone calling them an a-hole like a freshman girls volleyball team would - then sweet googley-moogley I might just stop watching the NFL.
    I don't care,and you don't care, but Coach has to deal with the fallout of this, all week. Can you imagine how many questions in every presser are going to start with, "Coach Tomlin.....what did you mean by assholes".

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I don't care,and you don't care, but Coach has to deal with the fallout of this, all week. Can you imagine how many questions in every presser are going to start with, "Coach Tomlin.....what did you mean by assholes".
    Isn't it self-explanatory?

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Whatever. It was a dumb move on Browns part but Tomlins not gonna back down from what he said.

- - - Updated - - -

I wasnt alive during the 70s... but i couldn't imagine the jack lambert and mean jo greene give 0 shits if they offended their opponent.

Maybe we should own fully. Yeh you assholes and yes were are gonna kick your ass.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Well we all know what Tomlin said was the truth and, the cheats need that fire them up the have bigger problem than the Steelers.