Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sources: Chargers plan to announce move from San Diego to Los Angeles

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Sources: Chargers plan to announce move from San Diego to Los Angeles

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/sources...ry?id=44723725

Almost one year to the day that the Rams moved to Los Angeles, the Chargers now are planning to do the same.

The Chargers plan to announce as early as Thursday that they are moving to Los Angeles, ending a 55-year stint with San Diego and returning to their birthplace, league sources said.

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

Re: Sources: Chargers plan to announce move from San Diego to Los Angeles

I don't understand the business side of this at all. It just doesn't make any sense to me. Is this change for the sake of change? Or is this truly a beneficial move for the organization and if so how?
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

So the NFL is doing the "Two teams in LA" stuff again.

Come back and tell me how well that works out (It won't, BTW).

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nadroj 20 View Post
    I don't understand the business side of this at all. It just doesn't make any sense to me. Is this change for the sake of change? Or is this truly a beneficial move for the organization and if so how?
    16 years of unsuccessfully trying to get a new stadium built in San Diego.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    16 years of unsuccessfully trying to get a new stadium built in San Diego.
    So they are moving to a venue of 30,000 temporarily and then want to compete with another team in the same city for a venue or share one? I'm honestly asking because I do not know the situation.
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Nobody there gives a shit about the Rams (again, which is a big reason why they moved to St. Louis to begin with), so now they're going to add another team for Los Angelenos to be completely apathetic about? Agreed, it makes no sense.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

LA fan base is barely interested in one team, let alone two. In 5 years, they are probably both gone.... again.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Just a stepping stone to a better place...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

New Logo...lol.

Terrible...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

LA fans are probably still mostly Raiders fans. The Rams were gone for so long, and the Chargers were always a divisional rival. Would make more sense if one of them had moved to Vegas, which is the talk about the Raiders and moving again. It does not make sense to me at all, but then I've never been allowed to play with that much money.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    LA fans are probably still mostly Raiders fans. The Rams were gone for so long, and the Chargers were always a divisional rival. Would make more sense if one of them had moved to Vegas, which is the talk about the Raiders and moving again. It does not make sense to me at all, but then I've never been allowed to play with that much money.
    I was thinking the same. If they are playing in a 30,000 seat stadium, when the Raiders come to town it's gonna be 30,000 Raiders fans...lol.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Nobody there gives a shit about the Rams (again, which is a big reason why they moved to St. Louis to begin with), so now they're going to add another team for Los Angelenos to be completely apathetic about? Agreed, it makes no sense.
    You're right. LA is a baseball and basketball town. Always have been and always will be.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    The only reason that the Rams moved to LA was for the money. People in St Louis stopped caring about the Rams when ownership started talking about moving the team and refused to even listen to anything that the city of St Louis proposed. Add to that the lack of caring by ownership in putting a quality product on the field. They had a good following here for quite a while before that.

- - - Updated - - -

So they are moving to a venue of 30,000 temporarily and then want to compete with another team in the same city for a venue or share one? I'm honestly asking because I do not know the situation.
    I don't really know what their situation will be in LA. Don't care enough about it to follow. Spanos is just tired of fighting with San Diego to get a stadium. He still doesn't really want to move the team.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

The Chargers stadium was built in the 1960s and it is one of the worst in the NFL. However, they are dividing a pie with the Rams in a town that will not care too much about either team unless the QB takes a knee during the National Anthem or talks bad about Donald Trump.

I hope it works out for them, but if it doesn't it will not affect my life one bit. And I really don't care anyway.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

The whole point is to increase the franchise value by several hundred million dollars by having a new stadium, so Spanos will go wherever someone helps him do that.

It has nothing to do with gaining more fans or turning an operating profit. Thanks to TV revenue sharing and the salary cap, every NFL team has an operating profit built in; it is very hard to screw it up. I think only a couple of teams in the past 20 years have actually lost money in a given season, which were the Raiders and Cardinals at their worst and lowest interest levels. But yearly profits are chump change anyway compared to increasing the franchise value - we're talking tens of millions compared with billions. The Chargers sell out every game and make plenty of money and have plenty of local support, new stadium or no new stadium. But the stadium puts money directly into the owner's bottom line, in one big lump sum.

That's the entire reason why people buy pro sports franchises today - to increase the franchise value and eventually sell it for a profit of billions. Success on the field and fan support is just a fun little side perk. It's also why most new owners are business moguls and not "sports people."

In other words: Spanos doesn't care about the fans or the well-being of the organization, and is more than willing to have fewer fans and sacrifice a couple years of short-term profits in order to pump up the franchise value and then sell it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post

New Logo...lol.

Terrible...

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Are they going back to Super Chargers?
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    More fitting

- - - Updated - - -

The only games that will probably sell past half capacity are Steelers, Packers, Cheatriots until Brady retires and the bandwagon empties, and the Seawhiners until they start sucking again and their bandwagon empties

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post
    What does the 41 stand for???

Smart move. The Tampa Bay Lightning had a clever tweet about it...

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

They changed it:

But not really...lol.

They can't be fucking serious can they? You can't write this shit up any better

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    They can't be fucking serious can they? You can't write this shit up any better
    You forget, this is the team that had Drew Brees as QB, but dumped him for a rookie instead of sticking with Brees and investing their money into someone like Larry Fitzgerald, Sean Taylor, D.Hall, or even Dunta Robinson.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post

New Logo...lol.

Terrible...
    A lot of thought and design went into that one.

Prediction: half of San Diego will jump on the patriots bandwagon, the other half will jump on the Seahawks bandwagon

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">