Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RANT thread for the MEDIA

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

RANT thread for the MEDIA

Post your rants about the talking heads here.

I'll start it off...

Every radio show that I listened to today, was talking about how the Packers are the "hottest" team in the NFL. One pundit even stated: "Their seven-game winning streak is the longest current streak."

Uh... what??? The Steelers have won EIGHT in a row.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: RANT thread for the MEDIA

Screw NFLN and BSPN, CBS and FOX.

I hope the Steelers stay under the radar.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Screw NFLN and BSPN, CBS and FOX.

I hope the Steelers stay under the radar.
    The Steelers do indeed seem to play better when they are the underdogs.

btw: Even local San Diego sports-talk radio was taking about how the Packers are the team with the longest winning streak. I must be "new" math.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

I'll start it off...

Every radio show that I listened to today, was talking about how the Packers are the "hottest" team in the NFL. One pundit even stated: "Their seven-game winning streak is the longest current streak."

ESPN was slobbing over Rodgers nob because of the Hail Marry and etc all day. Started from Mike and Mike. Dupree got a lot of attention though for his hit. Most though wanted to talk about the Packers period. Next week they will be slobbing Brady's nob and how he dominated the Texans. Ps. WTG Clemson!

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

They also give Dak the best record for a rookie QB completely disregarding Ben's record of 14-1. And lest we forget he beat the pats who were on a 22 game win streak and the eagles who were on an 8 game win streak. Neither of these games were close.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    They also give Dak the best record for a rookie QB completely disregarding Ben's record of 14-1. And lest we forget he beat the pats who were on a 22 game win streak and the eagles who were on an 8 game win streak. Neither of these games were close.
    YES!!!
    I knew that there was another similar one that was bugging me.

Dak's first sixteen games: 13-3
    BB's first sixteen games: 15-1

For some reason, I was under the impression that 15 is bigger (better) than 13. Thankfully, ESPNFLN set me straight.

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

The Superbowl the media wants to have is Patriots vs. Packers. They would love to promote Brady vs Rodgers for two straight weeks.
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Nadroj 20 View Post
    The Superbowl the media wants to Patriots vs. Packers. They would love to promote Brady vs Rodgers for two straight weeks.
    They would completely blow their load if that happens.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

I would argue they want patriots cowboys...but then again I am in Texas so maybe I am just hearing it more down here.

Banned Array title="LloydWoodson is a glorious beacon of light">

Frankly the Steelers get a lot of hype from ESPN as well. Steelers were number 1 in the "power rankings" after week 1 or so which was also BS.

I don't care about the media. They overhype anyone. Weren't the Bengals supposedly to win the AFC North and make noise in the playoffs? Even though they haven't won a playoff game since 1990?

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Too many to list. It's why I can't stand to watch/listen to most of them any more.
    “I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!” - Jack Lambert

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

I'll start it off...

Shhhhh....

Dont tell anyone...

Tell them this... Our defense sucks, and we can't control the clock with our run game.
    Tell them that.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I would argue they want patriots cowboys...but then again I am in Texas so maybe I am just hearing it more down here.
    I agree with this. They have been all over Dak and Zeke's balls all season.

All the bandwagon Crygirl fans all of a sudden flying their flags around here and wearing their gear.

Personally, the Rodgers hype I can actually handle, because he's flat-out amazing. And, I don't really care about their opinions of the Steelers...

...but, when they misconstrue facts (7 is now more than 8) in order to pump up a story, it bugs me.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Personally, the Rodgers hype I can actually handle, because he's flat-out amazing. And, I don't really care about their opinions of the Steelers...

...but, when they misconstrue facts (7 is now more than 8) in order to pump up a story, it bugs me.
    See you are missing the adjectives.

A Green Bay Rodgers angelic winning streak of 7 is greater than a Steelers Roethlisberger rapist winning streak of 8.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Chris Collinsworth.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Chris Collinsworth.
    Chris still has SOME bias, for sure. But he comes across as a terrible towel waving maniac compared to Boomer.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Let the media hang on the Patriots' and Packers' nutsacks.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Chris still has SOME bias, for sure. But he comes across as a terrible towel waving maniac compared to Boomer.
    He's not anti-Steeler, just annoying. Captain Obvious.

What's getting worse are these shows where the hosts are such flagrant hacks:

First Take
    Undisputed
    Whitcock and Cowturd's show whatever it's called.

I don't watch any of them but they get posted on Twitter or other social media alot.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

I can't watch those shows too much steeler bias and, cowherd is a bigtime Brady/cheat fan.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I think that is why the Packers game got all the hype in the media this week. Rodgers was just awesome from like the middle of the second quarter on. He almost single-handedly beat the Giants. I know the score was close, but for almost an entire half, the Giants were dominating and then Rodgers kinda woke up and took over. It was great to watch.

In contrast, the Steelers win was boring for anyone that is not a Steelers fan. No casual viewer/non-partisan fan wants to watch a 10 play all running death march of drive - even if they should appreciate it as a football fan. Additionally, after going up 20-3 or whatever, the Steelers kinda dropped it into a lower gear and cruised the rest of the way. A great formula for winning a playoff game in December, but not really much of a storyline for the media carnival barkers to get excited about. No one wants to hear about pulling tackles, the key stalk blocks that AB made, how Dupree might killed Moore, etc. That stuff is boring and doesn't make for "hawt taaaeeeekeeees" the next day. "Is Rodgers the most elite QB ever or just the elitest QB?" or "Click here to see the 15 greatest Hail Mary's ever!"

Although, if I was in charge of ESPN, I would've raked the Steelers and Roethlisberger over the coals for having a crappy second half and staying in the game to throw up random interceptions!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Here is another thing, I can't remember the last TV show I watched that actually "analyzed" the NFL? It is all "having a take" and recency bias opinions.

I remember loving watching NFL Primetime when it was its own show and Berman would say random Chris Berman things and then Tom Jackson would show you why a team won by breaking down some key plays.

Now it is basically people yelling over a Youtube highlight real. It is amazing to me that with all the media attention and content that the NFL drives, when/where did you last watch or read someone really breaking down football from technical perspective and getting into the nuts and bolts of why teams are winning or losing in the NFL? I can't think of many places - none on television and only a few if you really hunt around the internet.

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

That's a valid argument. They would be happy with either, but I just think they want the QB battle. Brady v. Rodgers is more appealing then Brady v. Prescott.
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...oting-2016-nfl

Naw, FOX would want Cheats-Crygirls** for TV ratings. I hate the Crygirls with all my blood and sweat but they do get great ratings.

2nd choice would be Marsha vs Discount Double Check

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I think that is why the Packers game got all the hype in the media this week.

I would've raked the Steelers and Roethlisberger over the coals for having a crappy second half and staying in the game to throw up random interceptions!
    Excellent point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Here is another thing, I can't remember the last TV show I watched that actually "analyzed" the NFL? It is all "having a take" and recency bias opinions.

I remember loving watching NFL Primetime when it was its own show and Berman would say random Chris Berman things and then Tom Jackson would show you why a team won by breaking down some key plays.

Now it is basically people yelling over a Youtube highlight real. It is amazing to me that with all the media attention and content that the NFL drives, when/where did you last watch or read someone really breaking down football from technical perspective and getting into the nuts and bolts of why teams are winning or losing in the NFL? I can't think of many places - none on television and only a few if you really hunt around the internet.
    Journalism has become "Have a take, don't suck."

For radio-show call-ins, that is fine... and very entertaining. But for journalists paid to analyze the game, well... that type of reporting (as you perfectly described it: "yelling over a Youtube highlight real") is the opposite of analysis.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

If we were to not make it, I would love to see a SB1 rematch. GBvsKC. Just so I can say, '50years and nothing's changed'!

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Ok the win streak thing being completely wrong is problematic, but damn lol. What a bunch of petty people. Why are we shitting on the league's leading rusher, the best (arguably) rookie QB ever, and the league's best QB? Especially considering 2 of those players torched us. Take it out on the media geez . Or you can do what i do and choose not to care most of the time.

Rodgers TD:INT ratio is 22:0 in the last 8 games...No one's been better in that span of time. Of course the media is going to hang on his nuts. Who else are they supposed to turn to?
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Journalism has become "Have a take, don't suck."

For radio-show call-ins, that is fine... and very entertaining. But for journalists paid to analyze the game, well... that type of reporting (as you perfectly described it: "yelling over a Youtube highlight real") is the opposite of analysis.
    Couldn't agree more. I honestly don't think anyone is "analyzing" football anymore aside from niche sites on the internet.