Page 34 of 65 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1931

Thread: 2017 Draft

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: 2017 Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I can't completely disagree with you on that. I see your point. Bowser is not a pure pass rusher though. My thought is that what he does best is in the middle/in space, rather than on the edge. But what do I know? A couple of weeks looking over LBs certainly doesn't make me an expert. He already has the perfect size and play style for ILB, I think. He's not small, that's not what I mean. He's more dynamic than strong.
    That sounds about right from what I have come across. Bowser won't get you beat playing OLB in a 3-4, but he isn't going to win you anything either. Not sure how much of an upgrade he would really be over Jarvis Jones. Like Jones, the things he does best are coverage and defending the run - not rushing the passer.

But I agree with you, what do I know? I just read and watch a few things on the internet a handful of weeks each year!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Now I really want this dude to get drafted by the Steelers. Then I want the entire LB corps to start calling itself the Wu-Tang Clan!

Obviously, Harrison can be ODB.
    There is no greater feeling than when someone gets my (obscure) sense of humor.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

I can't completely disagree with you on that. I see your point. Bowser is not a pure pass rusher though. My thought is that what he does best is in the middle/in space, rather than on the edge. But what do I know? A couple of weeks looking over LBs certainly doesn't make me an expert. He already has the perfect size and play style for ILB, I think. He's not small, that's not what I mean. He's more dynamic than strong.
    he does like to use an inside dip when rushing the passer so fighting blockers on his outside shoulder isnt exactly new to him. interesting. you may be onto something, but i see his ability to cover shallow zones as an asset for him as an OLB, not necessarily a reason to change his primary position completely. he'll blitz really nicely on stunts to the inside for whoever drafts him. we used to do that all the time with Harrison. hope were open minded to how we use Tyus regardless if he ends up being the pick
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Remember 2 months ago when Teez Tabor was the 2nd best cornerback prospect in the draft? Good times, good times

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/fl...sh-uf-pro-day/

We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Guys I could see at 30 as OLBs/edge rushers. Carl Lawson, Takk McKinley, TJ Watt, Charles Harris, or Jordan Willis. I honestly think one of these 5 guys will become a Steeler next month. I also think any of these guys could be a day 1 contributor at OLB.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Remember 2 months ago when Teez Tabor was the 2nd best cornerback prospect in the draft? Good times, good times

IMO, 40 times are overrated.

He will be a steal for somebody.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

His 40 times is still better than Jerry Rice!!!!!

Guys I could see at 30 as OLBs/edge rushers. Carl Lawson, Takk McKinley, TJ Watt, Charles Harris, or Jordan Willis. I honestly think one of these 5 guys will become a Steeler next month. I also think any of these guys could be a day 1 contributor at OLB.
    I've narrowed down to a QB or OLB or CB or S...

BurghBoy412

I've got a feeling they're gonna go OLB and LB, 1st and 2nd rounds.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Colbert was at Florida's pro day.

Quincy Wilson is a possibility at #30. Impressive press man corner.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Wide receivers don't go far when they can't get off the line of scrimmage for a second and a half.

I don't know how good this guy is going to be at the next level but he's doing something right. Last time I checked, Jerry Rice ran a 4.7 forty....... he did all right for himself.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Wide receivers don't go far when they can't get off the line of scrimmage for a second and a half.

I don't know how good this guy is going to be at the next level but he's doing something right. Last time I checked, Jerry Rice ran a 4.7 forty....... he did all right for himself.
    Good points. BUT...I think raw speed and quickness is more important on defense than offense. On offense, you know where you are going and how you plan on getting there. You can be totally proactive. On defense, it is almost totally reactive. You are always behind the curve trying to catch up.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Porter wasn't at Houston's pro day. Not going to rule out Bowser, but I wouldn't say it's likely.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Good points. BUT...I think raw speed and quickness is more important on defense than offense. On offense, you know where you are going and how you plan on getting there. You can be totally proactive. On defense, it is almost totally reactive. You are always behind the curve trying to catch up.

A lot of that was tongue in cheek.

I'm not really thrilled with taking a corner that runs a 4.7 forty....but I was serious about jamming receivers at the line of scrimmage. It's the best friend of any pass rush.

Quickness and speed becomes a lot more important depending on the coverage technique. Short area quickness and catch up speed are very important to corners.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Except when you're an OLB in a 3-4 scheme and run a 4.92....................

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

not sure why my post is going into his but mine is as follows ....

as long as he is in the right scheme he will still be fine , certainly the lack of speed is not Ideal but if I recall right Brandon Browner ran a 4.67 and went from late day 1 pick to undrafted and to the CFL to start his career he rebounded nicely in the CFL and later had some solid years in Seattle , but once he started to get some age on him and lost a step he became a penalty magnate and bounced around and believe he is now out of the league ?

The only reason he'll be a steal, if at all is because his stock dropped from being a possible 1st half of the 1st round pick to a middle round pick.

I mean yeah, 40 times are overrated, but damn a mid to late 4.7 40 yard dash? With no indication of an injury or anything like that? I do wonder how many cornerbacks are out there that have had any success in the NFL with a time like that

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I've narrowed down to a QB or OLB or CB or S...
    With what we did this offseason I'm feeling fairly confident we will take an OLB again. We could go QB at 30 but I really hope not. Timmons leaving bothers me a bit, so I could see Reddick, or Foster if there at 30, which I don't see happening. CB value seems to be in later rounds again. Unless it's a situation of 'can't pass over this guy', I'm thinking OLB once again.

No one's talked about Zach Cunningham in this thread at all. Would you guys consider him with the 1st pick since many are unconfident in Vince Williams as the starter?

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

The only reason he'll be a steal, if at all is because his stock dropped from being a possible 1st half of the 1st round pick to a middle round pick.

I mean yeah, 40 times are overrated, but damn a mid to late 4.7 40 yard dash? With no indication of an injury or anything like that? I do wonder how many cornerbacks are out there that have had any success in the NFL with a time like that
    Brandon Browner but even his wasnt that bad ... 4.67 or 4.68 if I recall

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    Brandon Browner but even his wasnt that bad ... 4.67 or 4.68 if I recall
    and Browner was way bigger too

- - - Updated - - -

No steelers representation at Houston's pro day featuring Tyus Bowser

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/03/joey-porter-not-houstons-pro-day/

interesting trends in this article:

Of course everyone knows that we always draft a few of the 30 prospects that visit us. But heres a look at how many we've drafted from year to year. Also interesting is the fact that we've been drafting visiting prospects earlier overall in recent years: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/03...ed-per-tomlin/

2016 – Three:
    2. Sean Davis
    3. Javon Hargrave
    4. Jerald Hawkins

2015 – Four:
    2. Senquez Golson
    3. Sammie Coates
    4. Doran Grant
    5. Jesse James (Reported Only)

2014 – Three:
    1. Ryan Shazier
    2. Stephon Tuitt
    4. Martavis Bryant
    7. Rob Blanchflower

2013 – Five:
    1. Jarvis Jones
    4. Shamarko Thomas
    5. Terry Hawthorne
    6. Justin Brown
    6. Vince Williams

2012 – Four:
    2. Mike Adams
    7. Tony Clemons
    7. David Paulson
    7. Kelvin Beachum

2011 – Four:
    2. Marcus Gilbert
    3. Curtis Brown
    4. Cortez Allen
    6. Keith Williams

2010 – Three:
    1. Maurkice Pouncey
    3. Emmanuel Sanders
    6. Antonio Brown

2009 – Four:
    5. Joe Burnett
    5. Frank Summers
    6. Ra’Shon Harris
    7. AQ Shipley

2008 – Two:
    5. Dennis Dixon
    6. Ryan Mundy

Here are the visitors we have so far: (7 out of our 30 slots used up at the moment)

S Obi Melifonwu – UConn
    TE Scott Orndoff – Pitt – (Local Visit)
    WR Chris Godwin – Penn State
    OLB Takkarist McKinley – UCLA
    ILB Raekwon McMillan – Ohio State
    S Josh Jones – NC State
    QB Davis Webb – California
    OLB Javancy Jones – Jackson State

BurghBoy412

interesting trends in this article:

Of course everyone knows that we always draft a few of the 30 prospects that visit us. But heres a look at how many we've drafted from year to year. Also interesting is the fact that we've been drafting visiting prospects earlier overall in recent years: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/03...ed-per-tomlin/

2016 – Three:
    2. Sean Davis
    3. Javon Hargrave
    4. Jerald Hawkins

2015 – Four:
    2. Senquez Golson
    3. Sammie Coates
    4. Doran Grant
    5. Jesse James (Reported Only)

2014 – Three:
    1. Ryan Shazier
    2. Stephon Tuitt
    4. Martavis Bryant
    7. Rob Blanchflower

2013 – Five:
    1. Jarvis Jones
    4. Shamarko Thomas
    5. Terry Hawthorne
    6. Justin Brown
    6. Vince Williams

2012 – Four:
    2. Mike Adams
    7. Tony Clemons
    7. David Paulson
    7. Kelvin Beachum

2011 – Four:
    2. Marcus Gilbert
    3. Curtis Brown
    4. Cortez Allen
    6. Keith Williams

2010 – Three:
    1. Maurkice Pouncey
    3. Emmanuel Sanders
    6. Antonio Brown

2009 – Four:
    5. Joe Burnett
    5. Frank Summers
    6. Ra’Shon Harris
    7. AQ Shipley

2008 – Two:
    5. Dennis Dixon
    6. Ryan Mundy

Here are the visitors we have so far: (7 out of our 30 slots used up at the moment)

S Obi Melifonwu – UConn
    TE Scott Orndoff – Pitt – (Local Visit)
    WR Chris Godwin – Penn State
    OLB Takkarist McKinley – UCLA
    ILB Raekwon McMillan – Ohio State
    S Josh Jones – NC State
    QB Davis Webb – California
    OLB Javancy Jones – Jackson State
    Thanks for this!

Colbert had a meeting with Florida safety Marcus Maye, per Tony Pauline. Very underrated. 3rd round target.

Safety Marcus Maye was the day’s big winner. He tipped the scales at 207 pounds, three less than his combine weight. His forty times were clocked between 4.47s to 4.52s, his three cone between 7.05s to 7.10s and short shuttle 4.12s to 4.18s.
    During drills Maye looked as good as the Gators highly rated corners, displaying a quick, fluid pedal and smooth hip turn. One interesting note- a year ago Maye received the same grade from the advisory committee as Keanu Neal, who was a first round pick in 2016.
    http://draftanalyst.com/pro-day-march-28

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...lowing-pro-day

Holy shit. One of my 3 biggest 1st round caliber draft crushes (Budda Baker and TJ Watt being the other ones) absolutely murdering it at the Gator's pro day. ILB Jarrad Davis ran a 4.56, 38.5 inch vertical, 10 foot 9 inch broad jump, benched 225 23 times weighing in at 238lb (Davis had an ankle injury at the combine). Would have loved him as our 2nd round pick, looks like ill love him just as much as a 1st round pick. Mayock now expecting him to be drafted in the 1st round

Previously mentioned S Marcus Maye ran 4.48.

RB Donta Foreman out of Texas missed a lot at the combine and ran a 4.45 at 234lb with a 33 inch vertical jump. Steelers have been looking at this kid. Big weakness of his is pass blocking so I wonder how warm we are on him

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Colbert had a meeting with Florida safety Marcus Maye, per Tony Pauline. Very underrated. 3rd round target.

amazing value pick. helps us phase out Mike Mitchell and he can serve as a possible DB on our dime defense

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

I understand Bowser hasn't visited. I don't believe that means we wouldn't look at him though. As for people wanting him to move to the inside if drafted, I disagree. Like someone else mentioned, you could view his pass coverage skills on the outside as a weapon. Someone also compared him to Javis Jones. I disagree with that as well. He's bulkier and much better in space. 8 sacks, while missing 5 games is extremely impressive to me, for those who think his pass rush lacks. Sure, he needs to develop some tools, but what OLB in this draft doesn't? Then ask yourself, what edge rusher can drop back in coverage like this guy? He could really help our defense get off the field on 3rd down, whether it be rushing the passer, or dropping into coverage. Just my 2 cents. Really like this guy at 30.

With what we did this offseason I'm feeling fairly confident we will take an OLB again. We could go QB at 30 but I really hope not. Timmons leaving bothers me a bit, so I could see Reddick, or Foster if there at 30, which I don't see happening. CB value seems to be in later rounds again. Unless it's a situation of 'can't pass over this guy', I'm thinking OLB once again.
    Every morning, I reach into my "prediction jar" filled with the following 25 names: Mahomes, Webb, Lawson, McKinley, Watt, Reddick, Peppers, Baker, King, King...

As in:
    I currently have ZERO clue who the pick is going to be.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post

I'd take Marcus Maye in the 2nd round if available

BurghBoy412

My latest mock from walkthemock.com for PIT via Default ranking

1:30 - EDGE Charles Harris, Missouri
    2:30 - LB Raekwon McMillan, Ohio St.
    3:30 - CB Damontae Kazee, San Diego St.
    3:41 - DE Tanoh Kpassagnon, Villanova
    4:28 - CB Howard Wilson, Houston
    5:29 - TE George Kittle, Iowa
    6:29 - QB Chad Kelly, Ole Miss