Page 19 of 65 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Draft

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Re: 2017 Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Brainfart....Did we lose our R6 this year or next year for Gilbert?

The Steelers gave up a 6th round pick in the 2018 draft for Gilbert. I found multiple sources but only linked this one.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...burgh-steelers

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    The Steelers gave up a 6th round pick in the 2018 draft for Gilbert. I found multiple sources but only linked this one.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...burgh-steelers
    Good to hear. For some reason I had it in my head that we would lose this year's 6th round pick. I'm still not keen on the idea of using picks on one year rentals. Let's hope they resign him to a more cap friendly deal this spring.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Budda Baker is commonly being compared to Tyrann Mathieu. But Budda is way stronger, bigger, and a better athlete. Not to mention he doesnt have the off the field garbage. He doesnt make as many of those "impossible" plays that Mathieu does, but watch his tape and tell me he doesnt still make a plethora of crazy plays anyways.

He form tackles beautifully, and knows exactly how to leverage against bigger players so i dont think he'll struggle covering tight ends or stacking and shedding when he sets the edge. Doesnt have as much thump to his tackles as Davis, but he has more active hands when he plays in the box and his closing speed is even better. Elite ball skills, can high point the ball from any part of the field. Diagnoses plays extremely fast to go with his already top notch speed.

im kind of convinced he doesnt have a weakness. Just that he's on the smaller side. the kid is only 21 and at 5'10'' 192lb, a few more pounds will put him at decent safety size as far as im concerned.

100% guarantee he's going to be a pro bowler. think i found my new favorite player in this draft
    Definitely worth a look at 30 and would be very happy if they drafted him, and adding a few pounds should not be a problem (his combine weigh-in may even show that he has added a few pounds)

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Round 1 Pick 30: Haason Reddick, OLB, Temple
    Round 2 Pick 30: Ryan Anderson, OLB/DE, Alabama
    Round 3 Pick 30: Justin Evans, SS, Texas A&M
    Round 4 Pick 29: Dawuane Smoot, DE, Illinois
    Round 5 Pick 29: Ryan Switzer, WR, North Carolina
    Round 5 Pick 36 (COMP): Brian Hill, RB, Wyoming
    Round 6 Pick 29: Brendan Langley, CB, Lamar (TX)
    Round 7 Pick 30: George Kittle, TE, Iowa
    Switch out Hill for Donnel Pumphrey (RB, SDSU) and it's a winner.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

Here is a thought. Jabrill Peppers, his stock has been a little iffy, and there is an outside chance that he will be available at 30. If he is (certainly no guarantee he is) I think they will pounce on him as he fits the mantra of the Steelers selecting a speedy athletic type which recent history suggests they take high priority in, plus his versatility may entice the FO. Anyone agree? What are your thoughts on him? (Personally, I am concerned about his lack of interceptions and would prefer more of a free safety)

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    If he's healthy, he's the #2 OLB in this draft.

Maybe his injury drops him into our laps, a la Heath Miller, and we steal a decade of greatness.

Or, he's the next Marcus Lattimore: could have been great, but his body was too torn up.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Here is a thought. Jabrill Peppers, his stock has been a little iffy, and there is an outside chance that he will be available at 30. If he is (certainly no guarantee he is) I think they will pounce on him as he fits the mantra of the Steelers selecting a speedy athletic type which recent history suggests they take high priority in, plus his versatility may entice the FO. Anyone agree? What are your thoughts on him? (Personally, I am concerned about his lack of interceptions and would prefer more of a free safety)
    He is indeed a lot like Deone Bucannon and/or Su'a Cravens. The Steelers tried to use Troy that way; they also drafted Sean Spence to play that role (alas, he got injured and could never regain the speed). Lastly, he fits the M.O. if players who can play multiple roles:
    --Davis SS/FS/CB
    --Shazier OLB/ILB/SS
    --Hargrave NT/DT/DE
    --Tuitt NT/DT/DE
    --Heyward NT/DT/DE

So... yes, that is a very legitimate possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Not sure if this is an option worth even discussing, but I would be happy with trading one of our first 2 picks for a proven OLB. Obviously an Von Miller type guy wouldnt happen, but maybe a 2nd tier pass rusher would be great to have opposite Dupree with a healthy DL of Heyward, Hargrave and Tuitt. Just a thought anyway.
    Trades like that don't usually occur, unless the player is disgruntled (and/or, an a-hole).

Senior Member Array title="awe1028 will become famous soon enough">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    If he's healthy, he's the #2 OLB in this draft.

Maybe his injury drops him into our laps, a la Heath Miller, and we steal a decade of greatness.

Or, he's the next Marcus Lattimore: could have been great, but his body was too torn up.
    Yes I really love Lawson. The injuries bother me too. Still I would be very happy if the Steelers took took him at 30

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/03...h-projections/

Based on this article it seems Reddick (much to the delight of Teegre and others I am sure) is exactly the type of player being sought for OLB. Conversely,Tim Williams not so much, as he has not shown enough of the other skills Pittsburgh expects of their OLBs. Although it is possible if Pittsburgh believes Williams has the physical ability/athleticism to develop those skills it may yet keep him in play. This is what I am hoping for.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    PFF just mocked us CB/S Desmond King: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/02...-30th-overall/

Some excerpts of him: "Even with Artie Burns added to the mix at cornerback last season, King’s fit is too much to pass up for the Steelers. He has an excellent feel for zone coverage, and few teams play more zone than Pittsburgh. King understands route concepts and can break on the ball with good ball skills (14 interceptions and 24 pass breakups over the last three years), complementing his coverage skills with sure tackling (only 11 misses on 198 attempts in three years)."

"King, who some major media draft analysts view as best fitting in the NFL as a safety, is listed ahead of the combine at 5’10”, 206-pounds. In the 53 games that he played in at Iowa he registered 263 total tackles in addition to 14 interceptions and 33 total pass breakups."

Here is what Lance Zierlein of NFL.com had to say about King, who he compares to New Orleans Saints safety Jairus Byrd, in his pre combine draft profile:

"Lack of size and speed combined with his ball skills, instincts, and competitiveness all point to a transition to safety. While he can improve as a tackler, he’s got the toughness and mentality to take on run-support duties. Can cover in man when asked and has the ball-tracking skills and anticipation that should allow him to thrive in two-deep and single-high situations. A likely second-day (Rounds 2-3) selection and could be targeted as a zone corner or a safety with early starting potential."

thoughts?
    I wasn't sure I liked King as a 1st round pick initially. However, the more I watch of him, the more I think he could be the perfect pick for us at 30. Nevermind playing him at safety. He could be the best man CB in this entire draft. Something we have been in desperate need for. I also like that he isn't afraid of contact. Looks like a pretty good tackler as well. If we don't make a CB move in FA, count me in as totally on board with King.

Quote Originally Posted by awe1028 View Post
    Yes I really love Lawson. The injuries bother me too. Still I would be very happy if the Steelers took took him at 30
    Yep. 30 was the pick where the Steelers stole Heath Miller... who dropped that far for very similar reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/03...h-projections/

Based on this article it seems Reddick (much to the delight of Teegre and others I am sure) is exactly the type of player being sought for OLB. Conversely,Tim Williams not so much, as he has not shown enough of the other skills Pittsburgh expects of their OLBs. Although it is possible if Pittsburgh believes Williams has the physical ability/athleticism to develop those skills it may yet keep him in play. This is what I am hoping for.
    Jump aboard the Reddick bandwagon, brother. I saved a seat for you.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Problem with Reddick that no one seems to want to talk about is that there is just no way he can play OLB in a 3-4 at 230 pounds.

Guy looks like a great prospect for a Derrick Brooks style 4-3 OLB or a Ryan Shazier style ILB in a 3-4. But setting the edge at 230 LBS against NFL caliber OT's that have 100 pounds on him? Now way.

Now if you want to talk about a Timmons replacement and have a dynamic duo in the middle - then Reddick makes sense. Steelers moved Timmons and Shazier inside when they came out of college around 230.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Problem with Reddick that no one seems to want to talk about is that there is just no way he can play OLB in a 3-4 at 230 pounds.

Guy looks like a great prospect for a Derrick Brooks style 4-3 OLB or a Ryan Shazier style ILB in a 3-4. But setting the edge at 230 LBS against NFL caliber OT's that have 100 pounds on him? Now way.

Now if you want to talk about a Timmons replacement and have a dynamic duo in the middle - then Reddick makes sense. Steelers moved Timmons and Shazier inside when they came out of college around 230.
    I'm 100% for moving him to ILB.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I'm 100% for moving him to ILB.
    OK. I can totally see that. That would be one hell of a duo in the middle of the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    OK. I can totally see that. That would be one hell of a duo in the middle of the defense.
    The best in the NFL. Period.

Even with Vince Williams as a solid player himself and even if, they decide to keep Timmons (no sure thing he'll a. be playing and b. still playing at a high level anyway), I'd still like to draft Reddick and play at ILB, dude is a beast plain and simple. Plus, play him at ILB and you are talking about solid interior pass rush

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Even with Vince Williams as a solid player himself and even if, they decide to keep Timmons (no sure thing he'll a. be playing and b. still playing at a high level anyway), I'd still like to draft Reddick and play at ILB, dude is a beast plain and simple. Plus, play him at ILB and you are talking about solid interior pass rush
    "solid interior pass rush"

did you mean the best interior pass rush in the league?

i love that if we draft Reddick and move him inside, his pass rush skills wont even go to waste because we love sending ILB's up the middle so much. And thats precisely the kind of blitz we need to attack the best QB's in the league
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Jump aboard the Reddick bandwagon, brother. I saved a seat for you.
    Every time I am ready to take you up on your offer I see a video of Tim Williams impersonating the flash making OTs look like statues and I feel like Michael Corleone: "Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in". I am almost there though.

I have to admit it Reddick is extremely talented.

Every time I am ready to take you up on your offer I see a video of Tim Williams impersonating the flash making OTs look like statues and I feel like Michael Corleone: "Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in". I am almost there though.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Adam Shaheen, TE, from Ashland.

Remember that name, he's going to tear up the combine.

It's possible for 3 TE's to go in round one.

Last edited by BlackAndGold; 03-02-2017 at 01:19 AM.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

Reports are that the Steelers have met with, RB's Wayne Gallmon, and Donta Foreman at the combine.

More will come out later.

Reports are that the Steelers have met with, RB's Wayne Gallmon, and Donta Foreman at the combine.

More will come out later.
    Looking for a solid no. 2 in case Bell has to miss time again with DWil getting older and KWil very much an unknown, not a surprise

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Foreman would be great. I see him as another Bettis.

Roderick Johnson, OT, FSU is another player they've met with. Looks like a day 3 selection.

O-line isn't a need, but the way Munchak can coach, why not give him more talent?

BurghBoy412

Josh Harvey-Clemons S Louisville

Steelers met with Michael Roberts, TE, Toledo and Tanoh Kpassagnon, DE, Villanova

Steelers met with Michael Roberts, TE, Toledo and Tanoh Kpassagnon, DE, Villanova
    Tanoh Kpassagnon, DE, Villanova - anyone got a read on this guy? Is he a down lineman or a giant OLB?

To me he seems "in between" for the 3-4 - but then Heyward is like 290 so....????