Page 29 of 65 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Draft

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Re: 2017 Draft

Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

I'd consider Finney as Foster's replacement. He played great in place of Foster this past season, who's contract is up after the 2018 season. Could see Finney starting in 2018.

This is not a good offensive line draft. They may take one later in the draft, but the back up pieces are there with Hubbard, Hawkins, and Finney. They also seem high on Brian Mihalik, who was a converted DE to OT, similar to AV.

The o-line is like the d-line. the pieces are in place, but a late round addition wouldn't hurt.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    I'd consider Finney as Foster's replacement. He played great in place of Foster this past season, who's contract is up after the 2018 season. Could see Finney starting in 2018.

This is not a good offensive line draft. They may take one later in the draft, but the back up pieces are there with Hubbard, Hawkins, and Finney. They also seem high on Brian Mihalik, who was a converted DE to OT, similar to AV.

The o-line is like the d-line. the pieces are in place, but a late round addition wouldn't hurt.
    Yep. I definitely don't see Finney as just a backup. He looks like a quality starter to me and certainly one that could step right in and take Foster's spot.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Finney is solid and will only get better with more time with Munch

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Here is what I'd be interested in with Finney, Hubbard, and other backups -- does the team have to change schemes, blocking assignments, etc when they enter the lineup?

If not, then they are future starters. If yes, then they look good because their deficiencies are being masked. But they aren't future starters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

While the overall OL group might be weaker than pasted drafts there are a lot of good guards. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...nkings/2017/OG

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Here is what I'd be interested in with Finney, Hubbard, and other backups -- does the team have to change schemes, blocking assignments, etc when they enter the lineup?

If not, then they are future starters. If yes, then they look good because their deficiencies are being masked. But they aren't future starters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No. If anything, having Finney in there expands the playbook. We had him pulling a hell of a lot more than we do with Foster when he started the Chiefs game. Foster just happens to be having a series of old age renaissance
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: drafting O-linemen

It reminds me of the Steelers drafts in the 90s and early 2000s... but, with LBs. Even when they had great LBs, they'd draft at least one every single year. Some were decent, some were duds, and some supplanted the person on the depth chart in front of them. In turn, the Steelers always had a stable of starter-quality backups.

It's never a bad thing (IMO) to address the O-line.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Re: drafting O-linemen

It reminds me of the Steelers drafts in the 90s and early 2000s... but, with LBs. Even when they had great LBs, they'd draft at least one every single year. Some were decent, some were duds, and some supplanted the person on the depth chart in front of them. In turn, the Steelers always had a stable of starter-quality backups.

It's never a bad thing (IMO) to address the O-line.
    I wish we would do that with our OLB's (as long as our evaluation is up to par). So many people on this board used to have a vendetta about drafting OLB's all the time until we kept losing over and over to elite QB's. I wish Munchak was an OLB coach sometimes

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    I wish we would do that with our OLB's (as long as our evaluation is up to par). So many people on this board used to have a vendetta about drafting OLB's all the time until we kept losing over and over to elite QB's. I wish Munchak was an OLB coach sometimes

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

So many people on this board used to have a vendetta about drafting OLB's all the time
    used to???

There are some who STILL don't see the need for drafting an OLB.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Went back to Carl Lawson as my #1 pick.

Reminds me so much of Joey Porter.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

used to???

There are some who STILL don't see the need for drafting an OLB.

I know. It's amazing to behold.

If a team runs a 3-4 defense and relies on the pass rush of the outside linebackers for most of the pressure, they have no choice but to draft OLB. They're the life blood of the defense and they need to supply two positions with talent and depth.

I wonder, with two of the top CBs in the draft now down with tears (Achilles for Sidney Jones, pectoral for Fabian Moreau), do the Steelers move to solidify the CB corp by drafting one or both of them, knowing that where they really
    need the CB help is in the playoffs facing the Pats*. Granted, Moreau will take more work, but he'll be recovered enough supposedly to make camp, which will give him a full season to get that work.

Personally, if Jones fell, I'd grab him, and then drop Senquez Golson if he gets injured again so we're only carrying one CB on IR into the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I wonder, with two of the top CBs in the draft now down with tears (Achilles for Sidney Jones, pectoral for Fabian Moreau), do the Steelers move to solidify the CB corp by drafting one or both of them, knowing that where they really
    need the CB help is in the playoffs facing the Pats*. Granted, Moreau will take more work, but he'll be recovered enough supposedly to make camp, which will give him a full season to get that work.

Personally, if Jones fell, I'd grab him, and then drop Senquez Golson if he gets injured again so we're only carrying one CB on IR into the season.
    i dont think Moreau's stock is affected all that much because he'll be recovered for plenty of offseason activities. Jones is interesting because his injury is really bad. Anyone else remember Ifo-Ekpre dropping from being the top cornerback in the draft all the way down to round 7?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/201...deshone-kizer/

Haley is getting a look at some of the top QB prospects, obviously looking towards the future for life without Ben

BurghBoy412

Elijah Lee, K-State 6'3" 228 Lbs

He needs to add some muscle but he has the speed, tackling, and versatility you look for. I really like how they line him up all over the place. Everything I read says he should be around late 3rd possibly 4th round.

Went back to Carl Lawson as my #1 pick.

Reminds me so much of Joey Porter**.
    **when Lawson is healthy.

**when Lawson is healthy.
    He has played for a year and a half injury free. His durability is a concern(reason why he could be available), but he has recovered from past injuries and noting seems chronic.

I'll take it as bad luck. Shazier never a missed a game in college, don't believe Golson did either. Both have been called "Mr. Glass" here.

Lawson is fun to watch, beating tackles with quickness and hand power, just like J Peezy. I want Takk but I'm not sure he'll be there, even with his shoulder injury(but he's expected back at mini camp)

What do you guys think of CB Shaquill Griffin out of Central Florida? I keep seeing his name pop up as a huge sleeper in this draft and we met with him at the Combine

He has played for a year and a half injury free. His durability is a concern(reason why he could be available), but he has recovered from past injuries and noting seems chronic.

I'll take it as bad luck. Shazier never a missed a game in college, don't believe Golson did either. Both have been called "Mr. Glass" here.

Lawson is fun to watch, beating tackles with quickness and hand power, just like J Peezy. I want Takk but I'm not sure he'll be there, even with his shoulder injury(but he's expected back at mini camp)
    True.

I would have figured that CJ Mosley would have been the one who was habitually injured (instead of Shazier).

NC State S Josh Jones visiting Steelers: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/03...isit-steelers/

Another great choice to take up one of our 30 pre-draft visits. I hope Mike Mitchell is getting nervous

Mike Mitchell has zero reasons to be worried.

BurghBoy412

NC State S Josh Jones visiting Steelers: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/03...isit-steelers/

Another great choice to take up one of our 30 pre-draft visits. I hope Mike Mitchell is getting nervous
    Does this mean they're gonna pass on Obi? Is this just in case he's gone?

BurghBoy412

Unless Obi Melifonwu or Budda Baker is taken in the 1st. Except for the occasional big hit. He hasn't really been all that good. He has been really good at running his mouth and reading plays poorly.

BurghBoy412

Charles Harris > Takk McKinley > Carl Lawson

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    Unless Obi Melifonwu or Budda Baker is taken in the 1st. Except for the occasional big hit. He hasn't really been all that good. He has been really good at running his mouth and reading plays poorly.
    He played like a pro bowler in the 2nd half of the season. He's not perfect, but the team loves him, and he's still under contract for tow more years.

I'd be shocked if they drafted a safety highly, unless they pick Baker, who would play as a slot corner. MM job is safe.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    Charles Harris > Takk McKinley > Carl Lawson
    I like Takk more than both. Don't see him being available at #30. if he is, he's the pick. Over both Lawson, and Harris.

BurghBoy412

In a BPA situation. I can easily see a Safety being the best guy on the board when it's time for the Steelers at 30.

if we draft a safety high and Mitchell has no reason to be worried, we certainly arent going to be representing the AFC in the superbowl until he's gone

BurghBoy412

I've changed my mind. If they go Edge round 1 it's gotta be Charles Harris if he's still available. I watched film on Harris, McKinley, and Lawson. Harris is a much better player by far! This article also explains how Mizzou has recently become an edge rusher U of sorts. I'm sold!
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/02...harles-harris/