Page 1 of 65 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Draft

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

2017 Draft

It is never too early to talk draft and off-season priorities. I did my usual thing with college football this year, paid next to no attention to it outside the Badgers and honestly enter the whole prospect evaluation process totally reliant on parsing information and work done by others. Doesn't mean it can't be fun.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/st...ters-nfl-draft

TJ Watt is gonna come out. My eyes see him as a bit raw, not super refined, benefits from a high motor more than explosive athleticism, etc. Which is the exact same things that I said about his brother when he came out. Look how that worked. While I am by no means arguing that TJ will be as good as JJ, I did watch a player who absolutely dominated Big 10 blockers this season. The bonus is that once the euphoria from the Bowl season fades, TJ's tape and simply "not being his brother" will likely start tagging him with a 2nd-4th round grade. And that's why I like him as a prospect. It may be possible to select an impactful edge rusher (and oh yeah, do NOT put him coverage!) at a non-premium price.

I don't yet know much about the other edge rushers in the class, except for the really hyped guys that will be long gone by the time the Steelers pick. Anyone on defense that any of you see as a "move up" target a la Troy Polamalu? I see this defense as currently having a bunch of really good to potentially really good members, but missing that one "great" piece.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: 2017 Draft

I have a post somewhere, where I list all of the OLBs who will likely go in R1. I tried to to search for it... to no vail. Likewise, I have a new phone; so, my notes are no longer available.

Off the top of my head:

Myles Garrett, Texas A&M
    Taco Charlton, Michigan
    Derek Barnett, Tennessee
    Tim Williams, Alabama
    Dawuane Smoot, Illinois
    TJ Watt, Wisconsin
    Takkarist McKinley, UCLA
    Carl Lawson, Auburn
    ... and about four others.

SUMMATION:
    In this draft, our need matches the depth. We will be able to get a very good OLB at 32.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I have a post somewhere, where I list all of the OLBs who will likely go in R1. I tried to to search for it... to no vail. Likewise, I have a new phone; so, my notes are no longer available.

Off the top of my head:

Myles Garrett, Texas A&M
    Taco Charlton, Michigan
    Derek Barnett, Tennessee
    Tim Williams, Alabama
    Dawuane Smoot, Illinois
    TJ Watt, Wisconsin
    Takkarist McKinley, UCLA
    Carl Lawson, Auburn

SUMMATION:
    In this draft, our need matches the depth. We will be able to get a very good OLB at 32.
    Haha Dig you have us drafting at 32. Like Mojou and seen a lot of Watt and agree with his thoughts. I'd have no problem taking him at 32.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Off the top of my head:

Myles Garrett, Texas A&M
    Taco Charlton, Michigan
    Derek Barnett, Tennessee
    Tim Williams, Alabama
    Dawuane Smoot, Illinois
    TJ Watt, Wisconsin
    Takkarist McKinley, UCLA
    Carl Lawson, Auburn

SUMMATION:
    http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...l=1#post564484

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Myles Garrett, OLB, Texas A&M
    Taco Charlton, OLB, Michigan
    Charles Harris, OLB, Missouri
    Derek Barnett, OLB, Tennessee
    Carl Lawson, OLB, Auburn
    Tim Williams, OLB, Alabama
    Ryan Anderson, OLB, Alabama
    Dawaune Smoot, OLB, Illinois
    Deatrich Wise, OLB, Arkansas
    *TJ Watt, OLB, Wisconsin
    I'll move this here...

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I don't know anything about the players in this up coming draft. But which of those guys you listed will be there at pick #32?
    Carl Lawson... because, he has an injury history.

TJ Watt... because, he only has one year at the position.

Taco Charlton... because, he is a huge OLB.

Ryan Anderson, Dawaune Smoot, Deatrich Wise... because, they're in the third tier (which is still pretty good, btw).

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Barnett was getting a lot of the spotlight before the TN/Neb game. TJ Watt may go very early based purely on name and his brother. I'll need to look up the other guys. Read some stats and bios and such.

The bell ringer

I have no idea where in the end his draft grade will be...but I really would like to see the Steelers select Pitt QB " Nathan Peterman " A true Pro Style QB who played on a average talent team. But still shows great smarts, quick feet who can evade pressure. I mean no, not in the 3rd or 4th round...cause we have other areas of need. But in the 5th round ????....I would.

Garrett will/should be the #1 overall pick. The Browns have the 12th pick; they can grab a QB at 12. Mojouw, as far as "the" player to trade up for, Garrett is that guy. It'd cost waaay too much, but you'd immediately have an extra 12 sacks/season.

Barnett will go around 10 (deservedly so... he's good).

McKinley will rise to around 10 (once people get tape on him).

Williams should go around 10, but a gun charge could drop him to the teens.

That's your our top four OLBs.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

I have the feeling that the steelers will shook the world again(They will take a player that no one mentioned during the 3 months before the draft like last year with Burns) and many will be very disappointed!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I have the feeling that the steelers will shook the world again(They will take a player that no one mentioned during the 3 months before the draft like last year with Burns) and many will be very disappointed!
    Honestly, I didn't see the Shazier pick nor the Burns pick coming. I was hoping for Dupree when they selected him, but that's maybe the first one I've gotten right in a long time.

The bell ringer

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Honestly, I didn't see the Shazier pick nor the Burns pick coming. I was hoping for Dupree when they selected him, but that's maybe the first one I've gotten right in a long time.

I did. I maybe didn't predict Burns...but I knew, and all of us knew that the positional pick was going to be a DB. Same for Shazier..who I actually did predict. As for this draft...I mean a Edge type of DE or OLB is needed. Unless the Steelers think that a Chickillo is capable of being a starter at OLB. A total surprise 1st round pick to me would be a WR or RB and QB. I think we all might agree there. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by The bell ringer View Post
    I did. I maybe didn't predict Burns...but I knew, and all of us knew that the positional pick was going to be a DB. Same for Shazier..who I actually did predict. As for this draft...I mean a Edge type of DE or OLB is needed. Unless the Steelers think that a Chickillo is capable of being a starter at OLB. A total surprise 1st round pick to me would be a WR or RB and QB. I think we all might agree there. :-)
    We know that the steelers could drafted a CB, but I had not heard about Burns in this forum during the 3 months before the draft.

The Shazier pick was also a big shocker!

The bell ringer

We know that the steelers could drafted a CB, but I had not heard about Burns in this forum during the 3 months before the draft.

The Shazier pick was also a big shocker!

Well I was not in this forum back then. But the ones I was...Burns name came up a lot. And in a Tribune-Review article before the draft, Burns was one of their top-3 predicted DB's being selected by Pittsburgh. In fact, The Steelers brought him in twice before the draft...Only DB that did. So it was not a surprise at all.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I never get the specific player right, but it is usually fairly possible to come up with a list of 3-4 guys they are looking at for the first round. Very rarely do the Steelers early round picks not come out of the pool of guys they bring in for a visit. Additionally, basically throw out the internet's rankings of guys and lists of team needs. Colbert and Co have proven willing to go their own way.

TexasSteel & I discussed quite a bit (but, over in the draft forum).

I was 100% certain that the Steelers were going to take Karl Joseph (I still think that they would have, if he had been available). Regardless, Texas & I figured Burns would be long gone by R2, and we were hoping that the Steelers would trade up to about 34-37ish in order to get him. We even discussed "reaching" for Burns in R1.

I was about ten picks off (as far as where he'd be picked), but I was not at all disappointed. He was my favorite CB in the draft.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Because our needs (and picks) matched up well with the deepest positions in last years draft it looks like we may have hit a home run. We'll see.

I think the same is possible with edge rushers and secondary again this year.

If this draft goes well we could be absolutely loaded on defense.

Imagine a top 5 offense and defense.

Then Ben retires...lol
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Because our needs (and picks) matched up well with the deepest positions in last years draft it looks like we may have hit a home run. We'll see.

I think the same is possible with edge rushers and secondary again this year.

If this draft goes well we could be absolutely loaded on defense.

Imagine a top 5 offense and defense.
    It would be something to see. Need to hit a couple of late round picks for depth on offense. RB, WR, can never have enough lineman, etc.

Every position can be upgraded. I always look to BPA in the 1st, maybe 1st and 2nd rounds. Positions of greater need do take greater focus, but always best player available in the 1st. If we can match up BPA and a very specific position of need, that's just a bonus.

Heading into last year's draft, I felt the positions of greatest need were edge rusher and NT. But I felt the BPA that would be there when we selected would be one of the safety/LB hybrid guys, and that would be the pick. So, I was very surprised by the Burns pick. Surprised the pick was someone that everything I had read on him said he needs work. Feeling better about that pick today, but was very concerned when it happened.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Joe Mathis(Washington) & Harold Landry(Boston College) are two names to watch for. Both will go in round 1.

This edge class is very deep.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I say BPA is usually best to go, but last years draft worked out for us pretty well so far, and they did not do that. Maybe they have a BPA list for each position with a grade. When it comes to pick 32 and there is an OLB with an A grade and another position with an A grade, they would take the OLB, same grade, and a needed position. I would do it that way at least.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    I say BPA is usually best to go, but last years draft worked out for us pretty well so far, and they did not do that. Maybe they have a BPA list for each position with a grade. When it comes to pick 32 and there is an OLB with an A grade and another position with an A grade, they would take the OLB, same grade, and a needed position. I would do it that way at least.
    BPA is the way to go when you have a lot of needs but not when your are loaded at most positions but lack in a few other areas.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

OLB is the obvious culprit. Aside from that, I honestly would be in favor of going safety early in the draft. Sean Davis is part of our future, that's for certain. Golden is a phenomenal depth player at safety and still honestly a decent starter. Mitchell isnt a spring chicken, but wont be young either by next season (age 30), and we can honestly do better at that position than him. Grooming a guy to replace him would be nice. Mitchell just misses too many tackles in between the booming hits he makes. If this were the pre-2009 NFL he might make some pro bowls, but that's not the case.

If we REALLY like someone at QB that could be a potential Ben successor this might be a good time to go for it. Hell, even if we just think he'll be a really good back up this might be the time to hit the middle rounds. This roster is already pretty stocked. OLB is a huge need, but aside from that, can anyone here make a strong case that we desperately need help somewhere else? I sure can't

Toussaint has been as good as you could ask a 3rd string running back to be. Probably not who you want taking the reigns when Bell is out though. I think we can all agree that we should take a dip at RB at some point during the draft. I would argue that we could stand to go pretty early at RB (once we at least get an OLB) but only if we REALLY fall in love with the guy. That would be amazing to have an RB so good that he can actually spell Bell without neutering the offense much. Kind of like Deangelo when he was healthy. Either an all-purpose back or a short yardage beast to keep the chains and score a few extra TD's.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    BPA is the best way to go. As you pointed out, "need" is the tie-breaker.

The worst case (with BPA) is being too deep at position. But, as Denny Green said, when asked how he'd get enough targets for Jake Reed AND Chris Carter AND Randy Moss: "That's a good problem to have."

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    OLB is the obvious culprit. Aside from that, I honestly would be in favor of going safety early in the draft. Sean Davis is part of our future, that's for certain. Golden is a phenomenal depth player at safety and still honestly a decent starter. Mitchell isnt a spring chicken, but wont be young either by next season (age 30), and we can honestly do better at that position than him. Grooming a guy to replace him would be nice. Mitchell just misses too many tackles in between the booming hits he makes. If this were the pre-2009 NFL he might make some pro bowls, but that's not the case.

If we REALLY like someone at QB that could be a potential Ben successor this might be a good time to go for it. Hell, even if we just think he'll be a really good back up this might be the time to hit the middle rounds. This roster is already pretty stocked. OLB is a huge need, but aside from that, can anyone here make a strong case that we desperately need help somewhere else? I sure can't

Toussaint has been as good as you could ask a 3rd string running back to be. Probably not who you want taking the reigns when Bell is out though. I think we can all agree that we should take a dip at RB at some point during the draft. I would argue that we could stand to go pretty early at RB (once we at least get an OLB) but only if we REALLY fall in love with the guy. That would be amazing to have an RB so good that he can actually spell Bell without neutering the offense much. Kind of like Deangelo when he was healthy. Either an all-purpose back or a short yardage beast to keep the chains and score a few extra TD's.
    OLB:
    Yep

SAFETY:
    As I'm sure everyone already knows, I'm not a fan of Mike Mitchell. That said, he has played better in the past seven weeks. But, a replacement should be drafted & groomed. Tony Connor will drop to R3. He was a top ten talent, until he tore up his knee. I'd take a gamble in him.

NOSE TACKLE:
    I'd use Hargrave as a rotational DE. Heyward gets 67% of the snaps, Tuitt gets 66% of the snaps, and Hargrave gets 66% of the snaps. Keep. Them. Fresh. In turn, considering the depth at OLB, I might opt for Lowell Lotulelei (NT, Utah) in R1... and still get a very good OLB in R2.

RUNNING BACK:
    Donnel Pumphrey from SDSU. Is it a personal bias? Yes. He's small (180), but freakin' productive.

SUMMATION:
    But, you're right: aside from OLB, there's not a glaring need. Sure, we could use a FS or NT or backup QB, but there's not really a "must have."

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

OLB:
    Yep

SAFETY:
    As I'm sure everyone already knows, I'm not a fan of Mike Mitchell. That said, he has played better in the past seven weeks. But, a replacement should be drafted & groomed. Tony Connor will drop to R3. He was a top ten talent, until he tore up his knee. I'd take a gamble in him.

NOSE TACKLE:
    I'd use Hargrave as a rotational DE. Heyward gets 67% of the snaps, Tuitt gets 66% of the snaps, and Hargrave gets 66% of the snaps. Keep. Them. Fresh. In turn, considering the depth at OLB, I might opt for Lowell Lotulelei (NT, Utah) in R1... and still get a very good OLB in R2.

RUNNING BACK:
    Donnel Pumphrey from SDSU. Is it a personal bias? Yes. He's small (180), but freakin' productive.

SUMMATION:
    But, you're right: aside from OLB, there's not a glaring need. Sure, we could use a FS or NT or backup QB, but there's not really a "must have."
    Tony Connor: Just looked at some scouting reports on him. He would walk into the league as one of the biggest safeties and speed is already a weakness of his. Seems like much more of a in-the-box thumper. Isn't that more of Sean Davis' area of strength (granted Davis looks pretty well rounded)?

Donnel Pumphrey: Is someone having a Danny Woodhead pipe dream?

Lowell Lotulelei: Any relation to Star Lotulelei?
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Tony Connor: Just looked at some scouting reports on him. He would walk into the league as one of the biggest safeties and speed is already a weakness of his. Seems like much more of a in-the-box thumper. Isn't that more of Sean Davis' area of strength (granted Davis looks pretty well rounded)?

Donnel Pumphrey: Is someone having a Danny Woodhead pipe dream?

Lowell Lotulelei: Any relation to Star Lotulelei?
    True. I like Sean Davis as the SS. But, because he has played CB, I was thinking that he might be able to switch to FS.

LOL I'm thinking of someone bigger... like Warrick Dunn.

Lowell is Star's younger brother.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Mitchell, believe it or not, played like a pro bowler this year. He''ll just be 30 next season. So I can't see them take a safety high. Davis is the long term SS, could look back into free agency when it's time to replace Mitchell.

Needs+with some player suggestions
    OLB: Mathis, Lawson(would he fall?), Landry
    TE: Hated seeing Jake Butt go down with an ACL injury, maybe he falls to the 3rd round??
    D-line depth: Little early to study on some mid round players that will fit the scheme.
    RB depth: James Connor(3rd-4th), Wayne Gallman(3rd-4th).
    Back up/future? QB: Pat Mahomes(2nd round), Davis Webb(3rd, 4th)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Mitchell, believe it or not, played like a pro bowler this year. He''ll just be 30 next season. So I can't see them take a safety high. Davis is the long term SS, could look back into free agency when it's time to replace Mitchell.

Needs+with some player suggestions
    OLB: Mathis, Lawson(would he fall?), Landry
    TE: Hated seeing Jake Butt go down with an ACL injury, maybe he falls to the 3rd round??
    D-line depth: Little early to study on some mid round players that will fit the scheme.
    RB depth: James Connor(3rd-4th), Wayne Gallman(3rd-4th).
    Back up/future? QB: Pat Mahomes(2nd round), Davis Webb(3rd, 4th)
    Yeah... you're right. Mitchell has been good for the last seven games or so. But... if he reverts back to blindly launching himself in the "general direction" of receivers, I'll start a requiem for a FS.

(Good suggestions)

The bell ringer

What about the Steelers taking a flier on the OU RB Mixon ? We will need one for depth since Williams will be gone.

I would not take a RB before the 4th round, since he would be on the sidelines for at least 90% of the time.....