Page 8 of 65 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Draft

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: 2017 Draft

Who I wanted / my reaction to who we got

2000: Chad Pennington / Plax (eh)

2001: Drew Brees / Casey the Hutt (oh well, good player)

2002: Ed Reed / not Ed Reed!!! (Nooooo!!!)

2003: Nnamdi Asomugha / Troy Polamalu (WOW!!!)

2004: BB / BB (JACKPOT!!!)

2005: Heeeeeath!!! / Heeeeeath!!! (Yes)

2006: Nick Mangold / Santonio Holmes (interesting)

2007: Patrick Willis / Lawrence Timmons (damn you, NYJets!!!)

2008: Ray Rice / Spinny (ugh)

2009: Alex Mack / Ziggy Hood (huh???)

2010: Maurkice Pouncey / Maurkice Pouncey (YES!!!)

2011: Mike Pouncey / Cameron Heyward (oh well, good player)

2012: David DeCastro / David DeCastro (YES!!!)

2013: Matt Elam / Jarvis Jones (Eff you, Ozzie!!!)

2014: Deone Bucannon / Ryan Shazier (what???)

2015: Marcus Peppers / Bud Dupree (oh well, good player)

2016: Karl Joseph / Artie Burns (I like it!!!)

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

My draft crush was Brandon Marshall.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Happy that our focus is not on the draft right now!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Daniel Jeremiah made his mock, as well.

At 30 ( ), he had the Steelers taking: OJ Howard, TE, Alabama

He had Christian McCaffrey, WR/RB/KR/PR, Stanford going 32nd... which is where I think that McCaffrey will indeed land, but as a Steeler.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

McCaffrey, with AB, Bell, and hopefully Bryant? Put Ayers beside him on KR. Add in Rogers and Hamilton to the WR corp. With or without Coates and Wheaton, I'm thrilled.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I think the value is going to end up being at OLB where the Steelers pick which is mighty convenient. Also a top flight corner or safety could really help launch the defense to near the top again

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I think the value is going to end up being at OLB where the Steelers pick which is mighty convenient. Also a top flight corner or safety could really help launch the defense to near the top again
    What's weird is that ten OLBs could go in R1... or, only three could go.

Because there are about 15 that could go in the top 64 picks, teams might opt to go CB (or TE, or OT) early, and still get their OLB in R2.

Gun to my head:
    Five will go in R1 and then there's a run on OLBs from 34-50 where eight more get drafted.
    Last edited by teegre; 01-19-2017 at 11:41 PM.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Joe Mathis. He's still my guy in round 1.

Howard is going to tear up the combine. He'll be a top 15 pick come draft time.

With the 30th pick,the Pittsburgh Steelers Select.....

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Joe Mathis!!!

Can't wait for the draft talk to fire up. Always my favorite time of the year to discuss with other fans.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

The best WR/TE on the board. We can't count on MB and I'd be happy to let AB walk after next year plus one franchise year. He's old at that point. 17 is a 3rd and Coates sucks.

There are a ton of pass rushers; so, I'd be willing to wait until R2 for an OLB.

The other glaring need is a pass-catcher to complement AB. Thus, at 30, I propose:
    David Njoku, OJ Howard, or Christian McCaffrey (TE, TE, WR/RB).

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    There are a ton of pass rushers; so, I'd be willing to wait until R2 for an OLB.

The other glaring need is a pass-catcher to complement AB. Thus, at 30, I propose:
    David Njoku, OJ Howard, or Christian McCaffrey (TE, TE, WR/RB).
    The reason I like McCaffrey from that group is flexability. A true 'slash' you can put anywhere on the offense pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    The reason I like McCaffrey from that group is flexability. A true 'slash' you can put anywhere on the offense pretty much.
    Amen. He is sort of a cross between Marshall Faulk, Darren Sproles, and Le'Veon Bell... except (IMO) he is a receiver first, who can move into the backfield.

Plus, he's an upgrade in the return game.

Member Array title="Rara is an unknown quantity at this point"> Rara's Avatar

I guess it all depends on who does what. Main concerns: Ben Roethlisberger (possible retirement..hope not), Le'Veon Bell (can't stay healthy for a full season...yes, you'll get bumps and bruises through out the season), Antonio Brown (causing way too many distractions, hopefully it changes..don't want him gone..could demand a trade or release.) and Ladarius Green (constantly injured..can they get a settlement for him?)

If they all end up gone (HIGHLY DOUBTFUL)...The Steelers are in a world of hurt.

-Steelers should have been grooming a future franchise quarterback since they gave Jones way too many chances...should be a high priority now that Ben has went public now (even though it's rumored that Tomlin said this isn't the first time Roethlisberger mentioned it).

-I strongly believe Bell gets tagged, a prove it year (if he can stay healthy longer than his average)...If not, with Bell and Williams (he'll probably will be gone, unfortunately) both gone..Steelers need another running back (whether it's a starter or a younger back up..Toussaint is a career third stringer)

-Antonio Brown needs to stop with the distractions...first, it was the touchdown celebrations..then it's Facebook..then rumored to briefly pouting when Williams got the lone touchdown. I understand the star wideout wants the ball..but you have to get open, why throw to someone that was constantly targeted by New England's defense and not getting open as much? If the Steelers lose Brown, Bryant is a gamble (has he learned from his multiple mistakes? Hope so, now)..then you're left with is Eli Rogers, Sammie Coates (who can't catch for shit, all the sudden), Darrius Heyward-Bey (needs to be re-signed?), Markus Wheaton and practice squad wideouts.

-Ladarius Green has been injured more than anyone..not good for a freshly signed, top choice free agent. Whether it's his ankles or concussion (I still think he has yet to get out of the concussion issue)..I can't see Jesse James being our #1 tight end..He's been decent, but not #1.

-Alejandro Villenueva has been decent...but how many chances can he get? He isn't elite and honestly, don't think he will..is it time to get his replacement?

Here's my choices for each round, by position (that I felt is where the Steelers could get gems):

Right outside linebacker
    First round: Takkarist McKinley, UCLA
    Second round: Dewuane Smoot, Illnois
    Third round: Ryan Anderson, Alabama
    Fourth round: Devonte Fields, Louisville

Inside linebacker
    First round: Raekwon McMillan, Ohio State
    Second round: Jarrad Davis, Florida
    Third round: Kendall Beckwith, LSU
    Fourth round: Anthony Walker, Northwestern

Tight end
    First round: O.J. Howard, Alabama
    Third round: Jake Butt, Michigan
    Fourth round: David Njoku, Miami
    Fifth round: Evan Engram, Ole Miss
    Sixth round: Bucky Hodges, Virginia Tech

Quarterback
    First round: Brad Kaaya, Miami
    Second round: Cooper Rush, Central Michigan
    Third round: Patrick Towles, Boston College
    Fourth round: Patrick Mahomes, Texas Tech

Wide receiver
    First round: John Ross, Washington
    Second round: Corey Davis, Western Michigan
    Third round: JuJu Smith-Schuster, USC
    Fourth round: Isaiah Ford, Virginia Tech
    Fifth round: Dede Westbrook, Oklahoma
    Sixth round: Amara Darboh, Michigan
    Seventh round: Billy Brown, Shephard

Running back
    Third round: Kareem Hunt, Toledo
    Sixth round: T.J. Logan, North Carolina
    Seventh round: Justin Davis, USC

Left tackle
    Second round: Conor McDermott, UCLA
    Third round: Zach Banner, USC
    Fourth round: Erik Magnuson, Michigan
    Fifth round: Julie'n Davenport, Bucknell
    Sixth round: Tyler Catalina, Georgia
    Seventh round: Max Rich, Harvard

- - - Updated - - -

..I forgot to mention that just because Harrison is back for another year (debo!), he won't be much longer..time to let Jarvis Jones go and draft/groom Harrison's replacement

Rara,
    Good post.

Some of the rounds that you have listed are a little off (Njoku will do R1), but a good start. We can tweak it over the next three months.

The one one thing with which I disagree is AV. There was an article written a few weeks back, which basically said that he had the best second half of the season of any LT. He's a keeper.

Member Array title="Rara is an unknown quantity at this point"> Rara's Avatar

I hope the Steelers stay away from Missouri players..Ziggy Hood made me not want any more from that college.
    Rara's 2017 Mock Draft:Round 1: T.J. Watt, OLB; Round 2: Chidobe Awuzie, CB; Round 3- Brad Kaaya, QB; Round 3- D'Onta Foreman, RB; Round 4: Kendall Beckwith, ILB; Round 5: Josh Johnson, S; Round 6: Stacy Coley, WR; Round 7: Ryan Glasgow, DT

Quote Originally Posted by Rara View Post
    I guess it all depends on who does what. Main concerns: Ben Roethlisberger (possible retirement..hope not), Le'Veon Bell (can't stay healthy for a full season...yes, you'll get bumps and bruises through out the season), Antonio Brown (causing way too many distractions, hopefully it changes..don't want him gone..could demand a trade or release.) and Ladarius Green (constantly injured..can they get a settlement for him?)

If they all end up gone (HIGHLY DOUBTFUL)...The Steelers are in a world of hurt.

-Steelers should have been grooming a future franchise quarterback since they gave Jones way too many chances...should be a high priority now that Ben has went public now (even though it's rumored that Tomlin said this isn't the first time Roethlisberger mentioned it).

-I strongly believe Bell gets tagged, a prove it year (if he can stay healthy longer than his average)...If not, with Bell and Williams (he'll probably will be gone, unfortunately) both gone..Steelers need another running back (whether it's a starter or a younger back up..Toussaint is a career third stringer)

-Antonio Brown needs to stop with the distractions...first, it was the touchdown celebrations..then it's Facebook..then rumored to briefly pouting when Williams got the lone touchdown. I understand the star wideout wants the ball..but you have to get open, why throw to someone that was constantly targeted by New England's defense and not getting open as much? If the Steelers lose Brown, Bryant is a gamble (has he learned from his multiple mistakes? Hope so, now)..then you're left with is Eli Rogers, Sammie Coates (who can't catch for shit, all the sudden), Darrius Heyward-Bey (needs to be re-signed?), Markus Wheaton and practice squad wideouts.

-Ladarius Green has been injured more than anyone..not good for a freshly signed, top choice free agent. Whether it's his ankles or concussion (I still think he has yet to get out of the concussion issue)..I can't see Jesse James being our #1 tight end..He's been decent, but not #1.

-Alejandro Villenueva has been decent...but how many chances can he get? He isn't elite and honestly, don't think he will..is it time to get his replacement?

Here's my choices for each round, by position (that I felt is where the Steelers could get gems):

Right outside linebacker
    First round: Takkarist McKinley, UCLA
    Second round: Dewuane Smoot, Illnois
    Third round: Ryan Anderson, Alabama
    Fourth round: Devonte Fields, Louisville

Inside linebacker
    First round: Raekwon McMillan, Ohio State
    Second round: Jarrad Davis, Florida
    Third round: Kendall Beckwith, LSU
    Fourth round: Anthony Walker, Northwestern

Tight end
    First round: O.J. Howard, Alabama
    Third round: Jake Butt, Michigan
    Fourth round: David Njoku, Miami
    Fifth round: Evan Engram, Ole Miss
    Sixth round: Bucky Hodges, Virginia Tech

Quarterback
    First round: Brad Kaaya, Miami
    Second round: Cooper Rush, Central Michigan
    Third round: Patrick Towles, Boston College
    Fourth round: Patrick Mahomes, Texas Tech

Wide receiver
    First round: John Ross, Washington
    Second round: Corey Davis, Western Michigan
    Third round: JuJu Smith-Schuster, USC
    Fourth round: Isaiah Ford, Virginia Tech
    Fifth round: Dede Westbrook, Oklahoma
    Sixth round: Amara Darboh, Michigan
    Seventh round: Billy Brown, Shephard

Running back
    Third round: Kareem Hunt, Toledo
    Sixth round: T.J. Logan, North Carolina
    Seventh round: Justin Davis, USC

Left tackle
    Second round: Conor McDermott, UCLA
    Third round: Zach Banner, USC
    Fourth round: Erik Magnuson, Michigan
    Fifth round: Julie'n Davenport, Bucknell
    Sixth round: Tyler Catalina, Georgia
    Seventh round: Max Rich, Harvard

- - - Updated - - -

..I forgot to mention that just because Harrison is back for another year (debo!), he won't be much longer..time to let Jarvis Jones go and draft/groom Harrison's replacement
    Av is doing fine, o-line is probably where this team is strongest. I also think cb and fs are bigger needs than WR and offer more positional value than te

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Joe Mixon has some off field issues (Ray Rice issues) but is compared to L. Bell also really like Josh Reynolds

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profil...lds?id=2558194

Pick | Team | Player | Pos | College
    :-- | :-- | :-- | :-- | :--
    1:30 | PIT | Tim Williams | EDGE | Alabama
    2:30 | PIT | Cordrea Tankersley | CB | Clemson
    3:30 | PIT | Bucky Hodges | TE | Virginia Tech
    4:29 | PIT | Joe Mixon | RB | Oklahoma
    5:29 | PIT | Larry Ogunjobi | DT | Charlotte
    6:30 | PIT | Josh Reynolds | WR | Texas A&M
    7:30 | PIT | Vince Biegel | LB | Wisconsin

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Just say "No" to Alabama pass rushers. They are all over rated and stink in the NFL. None of these guys is really good at rushing the passer from the edge. In fact not many of these guys have lived up to their draft billing in general - http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...yers_on_n.html

The rest of the potentially instant impact edge rushers are most likely off the board by the Steelers pick.

So here is Mojouw's brilliant plan - trade back. Trade into the low teens of the second round. Find that crappy franchise that covets a chance to pick up another shiny first round bauble. Then sit back and take a clone of Clay Matthews in TJ Watt. Listen to all the talking heads piss and moan about this being a "reach" and how they had him lower on their boards etc. Then watch this kid play. Goes a million miles an hour and spent the bulk of this past season being unable to be blocked playing against 4 or 5 of the top 10-12 OL predicted to off the board this draft class. He will not have the measurables of Dupree or Shazier or even Timmons - but I'm telling you Clay Matthews 2.0.

Basically Watt is everything you like about Chickillo but he is also good.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Just say "No" to Alabama pass rushers. They are all over rated and stink in the NFL. None of these guys is really good at rushing the passer from the edge. In fact not many of these guys have lived up to their draft billing in general - http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...yers_on_n.html

The rest of the potentially instant impact edge rushers are most likely off the board by the Steelers pick.

So here is Mojouw's brilliant plan - trade back. Trade into the low teens of the second round. Find that crappy franchise that covets a chance to pick up another shiny first round bauble. Then sit back and take a clone of Clay Matthews in TJ Watt. Listen to all the talking heads piss and moan about this being a "reach" and how they had him lower on their boards etc. Then watch this kid play. Goes a million miles an hour and spent the bulk of this past season being unable to be blocked playing against 4 or 5 of the top 10-12 OL predicted to off the board this draft class. He will not have the measurables of Dupree or Shazier or even Timmons - but I'm telling you Clay Matthews 2.0.

I always want them to trade back but they never listen to me! I wonder why that is?

I don't think he would be a reach at pick 30. Daniel Jeremiah even has him going pick 22 http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/mock-d...eremiah/330601
    Not sure why Watt would be a reach at pick 30, high motor guy, very productive, sure 1-year wonder, but one-year wonders have been drafted higher

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I don't think he would be a reach at pick 30. Daniel Jeremiah even has him going pick 22 http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/mock-d...eremiah/330601
    Not sure why Watt would be a reach at pick 30, high motor guy, very productive, sure 1-year wonder, but one-year wonders have been drafted higher
    I don't think he is a reach either. I think he is not going to put up "wow" combine #'s, only the one year of tape, he really is not good in space, not the best edge setter against the run etc, etc, etc, etc. And people will simply stack other prospects higher than him.

But I also advocate trading back almost every year and they never do. Like always, look at the visits list a few months from now and you pick who it will be.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

TJ watt? Real deal or just riding his brothers reputation?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    TJ watt? Real deal or just riding his brothers reputation?
    From what I have seen, he's the real deal. He had 11.5 sacks this year as Mojouw said against top lineman prospects and the dude has the motor needed to succeed

Haason Reddick from Temple has been unstoppable during senior bowl practices. As a pass rusher and in coverage. Could be an OLB, or ILB. Great athlete.

Cooper Kupp, WR from Eastern Washington has been great also.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Regarding RB prospects, how much do you guy prioritize diversifying our backfield? Obviously Leveon Bell can do it all. Would you guys prefer to have another all purpose back of reasonable pedigree, or would it be nicer to have a big guy who can really drop the hammer and exhaust defenses on short yardage and in the 4th quarter? How about a satellite back like Dion Lewis or Darren Sproles? Personally I think Karlos Williams will fill that role for next season, so a guy like McCaffrey could really serve as a crazy X-factor on this offense if we so happen to fall in love with him. Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Regarding RB prospects, how much do you guy prioritize diversifying our backfield? Obviously Leveon Bell can do it all. Would you guys prefer to have another all purpose back of reasonable pedigree, or would it be nicer to have a big guy who can really drop the hammer and exhaust defenses on short yardage and in the 4th quarter? How about a satellite back like Dion Lewis or Darren Sproles? Personally I think Karlos Williams will fill that role for next season, so a guy like McCaffrey could really serve as a crazy X-factor on this offense if we so happen to fall in love with him. Thoughts?

I prefer a versatile player behind Bell.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

As a UW alumni I agree with all of this except for the tidbit about the measurables. He'll come into the combine with good measurables
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.