Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Larry Bird

  1. #1
    Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    5,567

    Larry Bird

    I forgot how good this guy was! Never understood why Pro basketball never lasted in Pittsburgh. I'd watch Piper games at the Civic Arena, it was popular in school and every town had pick up games but for some odd reason it didn't last.

    "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself--and you are
    the easiest person to fool."

    --Richard Feynmann

  2. #2
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    2,393

    Re: Larry Bird

    Easy. Pittsburgh has 3 major franchises that have had success. That creates die hards. NBA just didn't bloom fast enough.

  3. #3
    Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar
    Galagon 2004 Champion!

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Gender
    Posts
    21,100

    Re: Larry Bird

    Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Never understood why Pro basketball never lasted in Pittsburgh.





    Welcome to Roger Goodell's NFL...a billion-dollar, Mickey Mouse operation...



  4. #4
    Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    5,567

    Re: Larry Bird

    Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Easy. Pittsburgh has 3 major franchises that have had success. That creates die hards. NBA just didn't bloom fast enough.
    The Pirates won the series in 1960, the Steelers sucked in the 60's, the Pens were founded in 1967 and the Pipers won the Championship in 1968. I don't buy the die hard fans idea. The games I saw the Steelers play at Forbes Field & Pitt Stadium had more *fans* rooting for the other team. I don't believe I had one friend in those days that were Steeler fans.
    "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself--and you are
    the easiest person to fool."

    --Richard Feynmann

  5. #5
    Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    13,254

    Re: Larry Bird

    Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post


    I know we are the same age because we are probably the only people that remember this movie



  6. #6
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    2,393

    Re: Larry Bird

    Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    The Pirates won the series in 1960, the Steelers sucked in the 60's, the Pens were founded in 1967 and the Pipers won the Championship in 1968. I don't buy the die hard fans idea. The games I saw the Steelers play at Forbes Field & Pitt Stadium had more *fans* rooting for the other team. I don't believe I had one friend in those days that were Steeler fans.
    Then it was probably for a different reason.

  7. #7
    Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a brilliant future"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Gender
    Posts
    12,704

    Re: Larry Bird

    Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I know we are the same age because we are probably the only people that remember this movie
    I remember it too.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

  8. #8
    Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    5,567

    Re: Larry Bird

    Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Then it was probably for a different reason.

    "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself--and you are
    the easiest person to fool."

    --Richard Feynmann

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •