Thread: Larry Bird

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Larry Bird

I forgot how good this guy was! Never understood why Pro basketball never lasted in Pittsburgh. I'd watch Piper games at the Civic Arena, it was popular in school and every town had pick up games but for some odd reason it didn't last.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Larry Bird

Easy. Pittsburgh has 3 major franchises that have had success. That creates die hards. NBA just didn't bloom fast enough.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Never understood why Pro basketball never lasted in Pittsburgh.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Easy. Pittsburgh has 3 major franchises that have had success. That creates die hards. NBA just didn't bloom fast enough.
    The Pirates won the series in 1960, the Steelers sucked in the 60's, the Pens were founded in 1967 and the Pipers won the Championship in 1968. I don't buy the die hard fans idea. The games I saw the Steelers play at Forbes Field & Pitt Stadium had more *fans* rooting for the other team. I don't believe I had one friend in those days that were Steeler fans.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

I know we are the same age because we are probably the only people that remember this movie

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The Pirates won the series in 1960, the Steelers sucked in the 60's, the Pens were founded in 1967 and the Pipers won the Championship in 1968. I don't buy the die hard fans idea. The games I saw the Steelers play at Forbes Field & Pitt Stadium had more *fans* rooting for the other team. I don't believe I had one friend in those days that were Steeler fans.
    Then it was probably for a different reason.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I know we are the same age because we are probably the only people that remember this movie
    I remember it too.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Then it was probably for a different reason.

BostonBlackie

I forgot how good this guy was! Never understood why Pro basketball never lasted in Pittsburgh. I'd watch Piper games at the Civic Arena, it was popular in school and every town had pick up games but for some odd reason it didn't last.

Larry Bird was the ultimate competitor. To quote Red Auerbach, "Brid would kill you to win at badminton."

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

There are some guys who can really shoot. There are some guys who can really pass. Others can really rebound, but to do two of the three at the world class level and be good in the other category, well that's jut rare.

Keep in mind the three point line when Bird stated was seldom attempted. Just 2.8 time a game when the rule was put in, now its attempted 27 times a game! The math caught up. If you can shoot 40% from three point land, its better than shooting 50% from the 2 point area.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Seeing this title I thought of the Talladega nights scene during the final race with the guy interview what he thought was "larry bird" haha

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Larry was just a killer on the court. Guy always seemed to be able to pull out a win in the clutch, but there were always a few philly games, laker games he couldnt win. Andrew Toney.

This video is crazy to show what a trash talker he was.