Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Road to the playoffs: Who do we root for/ against to help the Steelers?

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Road to the playoffs: Who do we root for/ against to help the Steelers?

Since KC won last night against OAK, I am completely confused on all of our scenerios to the playoffs. I was rooting hard against KC to lose 2 games down the stretch to hopefully have a wild cars spot for insurance.

I understand if we win out we are in.
    Could someone help me understand the other scenerios to the playoffs?

Teegre , I am kinda volleying this one up for you.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Road to the playoffs: Who do we root for/ against to help the Steelers?

I think we mainly want the Donkeys to lose because they're a game ahead of us and the Dolphins to lose because they have the tiebreaker over us. Other than that, just don't fuck up ourselves.

Oh, and the Patriots to lose every game for the next 50 years regardless.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Here we go...

NOTE: I'll start art with the two teams from the AFC East.

The Bills play: Steelers, Browns, Dolphins, Jets.
    They will beat the Browns and Jets;so, the Dolphin game is the interesting one.

The Dolphins play: Cards, Jets, Bills, Taperiots.
    Obviously, root for the Cards (no brainier there). The Dolphins will beat the Jets, and unfortunately, if the Taperiots already have their seeding wrapped up, they might "give" that game to the Dolphins.

Sooo... Bills-Dolphins.

Assuming that we beat the Bills, they would end up 8-7... making them (at best) 9-7... with us us holding the tie-breaker. Under the above assumptions, the Dolphins could easily be 10-5. Thus, GO BILLS!!!

Oh... and root for the Jets to upset both of them.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

AFC South: needs to remain .500. 8-8/9-7 team takes the division. No wildcard.
    AFC West: KC/Raiders win the division, 2nd place team gets a wildcard spot.
    AFC East: Pats win the division.
    AFC North: Steelers win out and win the division.

Broncos could easily lose their last 4 games. @TN, NE, @KC, Oak.
    KC and Oak should both end up 13-3 w/KC owning the head to heads.

NE will win the East again. Duh.
    Bills play Steelers, Browns, Dolphins, and @Jets. Must win out.
    Dolphins play AZ, @Jets, @Bills, NE. Beat the Bills earlier. Could likely finish with 10 wins.

TN plays Den, @KC, @Jax, Hou. Most likely 8-8 finish.
    Hou plays @Colts, Jax, Bengals, @TN. I predict 7-9 finish.
    Colts play Hou, @Vikes, @Oak, Jax. Most likely 8-8 finish. Colts own the head to heads w/TN.

Steelers win out. @Bills, @Bengals, Ravens, Browns. 11-5 predicted finish.
    Ravens play @NE, Philly, @STEELERS, @Bengals. 8-8/9-7 predicted finish.

2nd wildcard goes to 10-6 Dolphins or 9-7 Ravens. If both finish 9-7, Ravens have the tie breaker. Dolphins win 10 games and they're in.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I think we want the Pats to get the #1 seed (have to get that taste out of my mouth . . .). If we win out we will be the #3 seed. So assuming we win our home playoff game against whoever, we will then head to the #2 seed (which will probably be the Chiefs in this scenario). Then whoever is left will play the Pats. That gives one more game for the Pats to possibly lose (I am guessing it will be either Oakland or Denver depending on how the AFC West shakes out). I guess then, I would hope for the Broncos to play the AFC S team (Houston is what I am guessing) so they will play the Pats (they have def to match up to the Pats better than anyone). The Chiefs are playing the best right now, but either way, we will be playing 2 AFC W teams on the way to the SB, 3 if one of them beats the Pats. Take your pick on who you want to see.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Steelers won't win out. It's not in their nature at this juncture.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Exactly. I expect them to drop one more. Probably to either Browns or Bengals since they are the only remaining opponents below .500.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Wildcard is probably out of the picture, and frankly, if the Steelers don't win this weak-assed division, they probably don't deserve to make it in anyway. As for the remaining games, I don't think I need to say that every game is important, however, the division games are must-win games. If they lose any of those games, they risk losing the division tie-breaker, and if they lose to the Ratturds on Christmas day, their season is done.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Kinda agree with it and said they will probably lose one more. If they do most likely this week in my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Wildcard is probably out of the picture, and frankly, if the Steelers don't win this weak-assed division, they probably don't deserve to make it in anyway. As for the remaining games, I don't think I need to say that every game is important, however, the division games are must-win games. If they lose any of those games, they risk losing the division tie-breaker, and if they lose to the Ratturds on Christmas day, their season is done.
    Way to early to count them out of a chance for that.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

To clarify...
    Winning the division is (obviously) the main priority. The Steelers control their own destiny in that regard.

That said, for all of the dark clouds out there (which reside in the middle of silver linings), let us assume that the Steelers lose a game... The Steelers can still win the division, as long as a) the Steelers beat the Ravens, and b) the Ravens also lose a game (Go Taperiots!!!).

As far as the Wild Card goes...

Broncos: Titans, Taperiots, Chiefs, Raidahs.
    Since the Steelers have almost no chance of catching the Tapes and/or Raidahs, having both of those team win out helps us (and eliminates the Broncos... and the Ravens).

Chiefs:
    We hold the tie-breaker, but the Panthers and Falcons games basically screwed any chance we have of catching them. Still possible, but unlikely. Then again, Go Raidahs!!!... Go Titans!!!... beat the Broncos... Go Chargers!!!

Just in case... Raidahs:
    We need them to beat the Chiefs and Broncos, but it would be nice if the lost to the Chargers and Colts.

The AFC South:
    The Titans, Texans, and Colts are all 6-6. The best record that they can get us 10-6. The play each other; having them all which will eliminate one another. Just like in the Jets in the AFC East, having the Jaguars beat one (or all three) of them helps us/essentially eliminates them from the wild card (when paired with the other division losses).

Go Chargers:
    Raidahs, Chiefs

Go Jets:
    Dolphins, Taperiots, Bills

Go Jaguars:
    Texans, Colts, Titans

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    To clarify...
    Winning the division is (obviously) the main priority. The Steelers control their own destiny in that regard.

That said, for all of the dark clouds out there (which reside in the middle of silver linings), let us assume that the Steelers lose a game... The Steelers can still win the division, as long as a) the Steelers beat the Ravens, and b) the Ravens also lose a game (Go Taperiots!!!).
    Which I think winning the division is probably what will happen but to say with 5 or 6 games to play they have not shot at a wild card is asinine. Reason I say 5 or 6 is because they was saying that then. Still think it's asinine with 4 games left and wont know what happens to the last two weeks or even the last week!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Teegre for help explaining things!

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Which I think winning the division is probably what will happen but to say with 5 or 6 games to play they have not shot at a wild card is asinine. Reason I say 5 or 6 is because they was saying that then. Still think it's asinine with 4 games left and wont know what happens to the last two weeks or even the last week!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Teegre for help explaining things!
    Exactly.
    I remember week 16 of the 1989 season, where FIVE teams had to lose in order for the Steelers to make the playoffs... and it happened. So, like you said: with 4 (or 6) games left, the Wild Card race is far from over. Case in point: on Wednesday night, the Raidahs were the #1 seed... and now, it is possibly that they drop out of the playoffs.

Furthermore, the other three divisions each play their own divisions. So, while someone will win, someone will also lose. What is optimal is for one team in those divisions (the current highest seed) to win out/eliminate the lower seeds. For example, the Taperiots beating the Dolphins and Bills.

(You're more than welcome.)

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Damn i didn't realize that the Bills are still in it for the playoffs. This away game in Buffalo is going to be rough . And added element of snow.90% chance of snow tomorrow in Buffalo.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    Damn i didn't realize that the Bills are still in it for the playoffs. This away game in Buffalo is going to be rough . And added element of snow.90% chance of snow tomorrow in Buffalo.
    Every game is a tough one. I think snow will help us more. Ben knows where AB will be. Snow slows down running QBs and hopefully Shady as well. James and Green should both have huge games as well. Looking forward to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Every game is a tough one. I think snow will help us more. Ben knows where AB will be. Snow slows down running QBs and hopefully Shady as well. James and Green should both have huge games as well. Looking forward to this.
    Hope your right, i don't recall leveon in snow games for the steelers but I am sure being a Michigan State alum hes got a good set of snow tires on him.

Junior Member Array title="BadBoy is an unknown quantity at this point">

It's really only one game(against Miami) that has everyone thinking that the Ratbirds are contenders

Joe flacco and that offense will fold from here on out

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by BadBoy View Post
    It's really only one game(against Miami) that has everyone thinking that the Ratbirds are contenders

Joe flacco and that offense will fold from here on out
    Miami has been choking in December every year in the 21st century anyway, so they may be looking at yet another December swoon

Lets run the TABLE!!!

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

pray that the raiders/chiefs overtake the patriots as the #1 seed. gillette stadium is just a bitch to play at
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    pray that the raiders/chiefs overtake the patriots as the #1 seed. gillette stadium is just a bitch to play at
    If the Raiders would've won, they would've been the one seed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

True.

That said, the Steelers' most certain route to the playoffs is to win the AFC North... which would be the #3 seed. The #3 seed can only play the #1 seed in the AFCCG. Thus, maybe one of the other seeds knocks off the Taperiots (in the divisional round).

Probably not, and at some point, we'll likely have to play in Gillette Stadium... but you never know.

Nope. I want them as the #1 seed. Why? Because I'm still holding out hope (as small as it may be) that we get the number 2 seed. Here's hoping Denver's only loss is to the Pats*, and then the chargers decided to play spoiler and win weeks 15 and 17. Likely? Nope. But still worth hoping for, and not completely out of the picture, either.

To beat 'the Brady', in his own lair, with his chieftain, Bellicheater, grousing up and down the sideline, is the ambition of every Steeler. To do it in the playoffs, the AFCCG even, would be a treat straight from heaven. I say LET'S DO IT!!!!!

Seriously, win the games in front of us and nothing else matters. Unfortunately, we have to root for the Pats to win out and keep the number 1 seed. The Chiefs, with 2 wins over the Raiders, are the most likely 2 seed. Steelers win out and take the 3rd seed. Leaves the Colts, via tie breakers, as the 4th seed. The 5th and 6th seed candidates are the Dolphins, Raiders, and Ravens, then the rest with possibilities. Point is, win the games on the schedule. This week that's Buffalo.

Senior Member Array title="Steelermania is a jewel in the rough">

Right now, we are the 3 seed. If the Rats win tomorrow, they become the 3 seed, and we become the 6 seed. In a 3 way tie with Denver, and Miami, we win the tiebreaker. We win any one to one tie with Denver (conf record), but of course lose a two team tie with Miami. Basically, if we finish 10-6, but lose the division to the Rats, we will either need for Miami to finish 9-7 or worse, Denver to lose at least one more, and if Miami is 10-6, we need for Denver to be 10-6 as well. Because Tenn and Houston play each other, the loser cannon reach 10 wins, so we don't have to worry about either of them.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelermania View Post
    Right now, we are the 3 seed. If the Rats win tomorrow, they become the 3 seed, and we become the 6 seed. In a 3 way tie with Denver, and Miami, we win the tiebreaker. We win any one to one tie with Denver (conf record), but of course lose a two team tie with Miami. Basically, if we finish 10-6, but lose the division to the Rats, we will either need for Miami to finish 9-7 or worse, Denver to lose at least one more, and if Miami is 10-6, we need for Denver to be 10-6 as well. Because Tenn and Houston play each other, the loser cannon reach 10 wins, so we don't have to worry about either of them.
    Miami will no longer be a concern. Tannehill ripped up his knee late in the win against Arizona this afternoon. Matt Moore ain't winning many ballgames.

Denver is on life support. Their defense is still capable of shutting down anyone in the game. But that offense is bad. Like really bad.

As long as the Steelers win 2 of the last 3, I am confident they will make the play-offs. 3 of 3 would be ideal...

Junior Member Array title="BadBoy is an unknown quantity at this point">

Just win

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    True.

That said, the Steelers' most certain route to the playoffs is to win the AFC North... which would be the #3 seed. The #3 seed can only play the #1 seed in the AFCCG. Thus, maybe one of the other seeds knocks off the Taperiots (in the divisional round).

Probably not, and at some point, we'll likely have to play in Gillette Stadium... but you never know.
    We should start petitioning the NFL now so that we can use our own radio equipment in Gillette stadium.