Thread: Man Who Shot Joe McKnight Wa Released Without Charges Filed

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Man Who Shot Joe McKnight Wa Released Without Charges Filed

There's a shocking development regarding the recent shooting of former Chiefs and Jets running back Joe McKnight.

According to ​TMZ, a 54-year old white male named Ronald Gasser was questioned by the sheriff's department overnight, but they released a statement saying they had nothing to hold him on.

The department confirmed that Gasser did indeed shoot McKnight but there are, "questions about the circumstances surrounding what led up to it."

This is very concerning based on the preliminary reports of McKnight's death. Gasser reportedly stood over McKnight's body and shot him again when he was already on the ground.

Unless McKnight had a gun himself, there's simply no justification for this shooting.

http://www.12up.com/posts/4206442-br...ed?a_aid=40219

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Re: Man Who Shot Joe McKnight Wa Released Without Charges Filed

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    There's a shocking development regarding the recent shooting of former Chiefs and Jets running back Joe McKnight.

According to ​TMZ, a 54-year old white male named Ronald Gasser was questioned by the sheriff's department overnight, but they released a statement saying they had nothing to hold him on.

The department confirmed that Gasser did indeed shoot McKnight but there are, "questions about the circumstances surrounding what led up to it."

This is very concerning based on the preliminary reports of McKnight's death. Gasser reportedly stood over McKnight's body and shot him again when he was already on the ground.

Unless McKnight had a gun himself, there's simply no justification for this shooting.

http://www.12up.com/posts/4206442-br...ed?a_aid=40219
    Considering our current state of race relations in the this country, this could potentially be a tinder box. I'm trying to withhold judgement here, but am having a real hard time finding the logic of releasing with out any charges. Seems sketchy.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Man Who Shot Joe McKnight Wa Released Without Charges Filed

What disturbs me about this situation (other than the whole thing) is Gasser allegedly stood over McKnight and shot him again.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

With everything that's been reported on this, I just can't understand why this man isn't in custody. There was an eye witness to what he did. Now there's even information about him previously being charged with battery for an incident at the same intersection.

- - - Updated - - -

What disturbs me about this situation (other than the whole thing) is Gasser allegedly stood over McKnight and shot him again.
    Yep. There's no situation that exists in any world where that would be considered self defense.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

I read somewhere (wish I could find it) that the witness may have lied about that, and all the shots were fired from inside Gasser's car.

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    I read somewhere (wish I could find it) that the witness may have lied about that, and all the shots were fired from inside Gasser's car.
    I guess I hope that's true??

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

I guess I hope that's true??
    I hear ya, but it doesn't change anything. I still don't understand how a guy that shot another person dead in an act of road rage is walking around free and uncharged. This is going to get very ugly....... and maybe, rightfully so.

Agree.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    Kinda like Michael Brown being "shot in the back?"

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    With everything that's been reported on this, I just can't understand why this man isn't in custody . . .
    Yep. There's no situation that exists in any world where that would be considered self defense.
    Shooting Someone on the Ground? There Are Reasons to Do So
    Oh, I can. This one's easy. If a man threatens me and says he has a gun or a knife, and I get him on the ground before he can draw it, I will warn him, "Any movement and I will consider it a threat." If he moves, I am WELL within my right to believe he is reaching for that gun or knife, and I will pull the trigger. The other guy has already been proven to be an aggressor AND has verbally indicated he has a weapon.

Is that what happened with McKnight? Nope (the shooter was inside his car), but I'm speaking to the blanket statement about a guy being on the ground. He very much can still be a threat, and one deserving of being shot and killed in self defense.

Makes Sense He's not in Custody (Right Now)
    As to why the guy isn't in custody, there's plenty of reasons. First, the shooter was inside his car, not standing over the victim. If McKnight approached him and tried to open the car-door, then the shooting was fully justified in the law. In Mississippi, if someone tries to unlawfully enter your car while you're in it, the law ASSUMES a threat of life and any shooting thereafter, self defense. On top of that, we forget a little thing in the US where the person is innocent until proven guilty. Thus, at this point, unless there is a good reason to believe McKnight did not approach the victim's car or try to enter it, then there is literally nothing to hold the shooter on for this incident.

Well if he were the aggressor and you shot him he falls to the ground and lies there and then you went over to stand above him knowing he still has a weapon and could possibly access it, you're an idiot...lol. Just shoot him from far away and if you can't, you shouldn't own a gun. You deserve to be killed if that's the case...lol.

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Kinda like Michael Brown being "shot in the back?"
    With both hands clearly in the air and a blue lives matter tshirt with a diploma in his back pocket.
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Well if he were the aggressor and you shot him he falls to the ground and lies there and then you went over to stand above him knowing he still has a weapon and could possibly access it, you're an idiot...lol. Just shoot him from far away and if you can't, you shouldn't own a gun. You deserve to be killed if that's the case...lol.
    No, you stay a few feet away with your weapon drawn and pointed precisely because he could still be a threat. "Standing over him" does not literally mean staring straight down at the guy. On top of which, you may not be in a space allowing much distance.

BTW, if you shoot him "From far away" you've just committed murder. Unless you can prove the guy drew a gun and was shooting at you, it would almost be impossible to prove a threat (unless he was in your house, then you don't have to). There's a whole lot more to these situations then you're giving thought to at the moment.
    Last edited by Craic; 12-06-2016 at 01:51 AM.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Looks like they have arrested and charged Gasser with manslaughter:

Suspect in Joe McKnight shooting arrested, charged with manslaughter

Hmm.

According to the link, the shell casings were found in the car. McKnight was outside the car, on the ground. If he's anywhere near the car, unless there's overwhelming evidence against the suspect, he'll be acquitted. The defense is probably going to say he wast trying to get into the defendant's car, thus, the "Stand Your Ground" rule goes into effect. The only other thing I can see is them proving that McKnight stopped being, or never was an aggressor.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    No, you stay a few feet away with your weapon drawn and pointed precisely because he could still be a threat. "Standing over him" does not literally mean staring straight down at the guy. On top of which, you may not be in a space allowing much distance.

BTW, if you shoot him "From far away" you've just committed murder. Unless you can prove the guy drew a gun and was shooting at you, it would almost be impossible to prove a threat (unless he was in your house, then you don't have to). There's a whole lot more to these situations then you're giving thought to at the moment.
    Or you could just defend yourself and call the police and you could be far enough away that it's not "murder". Further from a few feet and if he's drawing a weapon and there's witnesses as there were in this case, you should be able to prove that he was reaching for a weapon. I've thought it out. I've also read quite a bit about Gasser who allegedly has previous road rages incidents...one of which he put a number on his bumper to call which turned out to be his own. He then proceeded to follow the caller to a parking lot and physically assault him. So yeah...there's a huge possibility that the guy has some anger issues...

Banned Array title="LloydWoodson is a glorious beacon of light">

^Apparently the man he previously assaulted by spitting on and swinging on
    (without connecting) is a retired police officer who is now a minister... pretty good witness really.

The man called Gasser from his car to report his erratic driving and Gasser picked up and saw him talking on the phone while driving (had a 1-800-Howsmydriving? decal on the back).

Pretty hard for an ex-cop to mistake who it was since that's their job.

Gasser sounds like he has road rage and should be on trial... but he owns two companies and might be connected so he walks. If he worked for someone else and lived in a trailer park I bet he'd be on trial.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LloydWoodson View Post
    ^Apparently the man he previously assaulted by spitting on and swinging on
    (without connecting) is a retired police officer who is now a minister... pretty good witness really.

The man called Gasser from his car to report his erratic driving and Gasser picked up and saw him talking on the phone while driving (had a 1-800-Howsmydriving? decal on the back).

Pretty hard for an ex-cop to mistake who it was since that's their job.

Gasser sounds like he has road rage and should be on trial... but he owns two companies and might be connected so he walks. If he worked for someone else and lived in a trailer park I bet he'd be on trial.
    It sure sounds to me like Gasser was out there just looking for trouble.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Banned Array title="LloydWoodson is a glorious beacon of light">

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    It sure sounds to me like Gasser was out there just looking for trouble.
    Yeah it should at least be decided on by a jury. Gasser didn't have a mark on him and we all know McKnight would KO him with a couple punches. So A) don't talk **** to man who is dominant over yourself B) don't rely on pulling a gun as an equalizer like the world's biggest coward.

Two witnesses reported Gasser yelling at the body. Both paraphrased Gasser as saying "I told you not to **** with me." Looks like New Orleans wants another riot. Not even a trial is the part I don't understand.