Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to spot a real NFL jersey

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Post How to spot a real NFL jersey

Hello everyone, are some of you like me, who likes to wear and buy real NFL products? Do you think that fake products look bad and don't like the feel of them? Well, I'm here today to teach you on how to tell a fake from a real authentic jersey. (I sound like a salesmen ) This thread is going to have videos, pictures, etc. I hope you enjoy this and can use this when your looking to buy your real authentic jersey. O and one more thing, if your going to comment and bash this about buying real jerseys and things like that, don't comment. Thank you. Credit will be given to the original writers at the end of the page. This is a short-guide.

If you plan to purchase your authentic from the NFLshop.com, any team's official website or stores, or in our case, the Steelers official website and stores, you will buy a true authentic. Google and auction sites is where you need to be careful. Alright first off, there are many ways to tell the difference between a real and fake jersey. Unfortunately, fake jerseys are getting better and better at looking real every year. To start things off, let's look at what country the jerseys are made in. Many of today's jerseys are made in Vietnam, while some are also made in other countries. From what I know, Steelers jerseys are made in Vietnam. My new Heath Miller authentic is from Vietnam. Jerseys from China are fakes. Speaking of that, let's look at the tags on the back. The front blue Reebok tag will be shorter than the back white tag that has all the information on where its from, how to wash it, etc.

Now these pictures are a little older and are on Charger jerseys. The real tags are the ones that are longer than the fakes.

Next, lets look at the stitching of the numbers, nameplates, etc. For Steelers jerseys, the numbers are going to be slanted a little to the right for all players. The numbers are also not block-like. For all jerseys, the numbers on the front are smaller than they are the back.

Now, since we have the Miller and Harrison jerseys up, let's look at them more closely and for all Steelers jerseys. The Steelers logo or also known as the Appliqué, will be stitched on the upper left side of the jersey. If you run your finger on the logo, you should feel a little definition between the white background, the lettering for Steelers, and the three astroids (By the way, the astroids have meanings, but I'm too lazy to post them). There should be a silver lining around the white background and a very thin black line around the silver lining. You should also feel the definition between the white and silver with your finger. The replica and premier jerseys are screen printed on. With fakes, there could be too much definition, the colors could very bright, our the circle could be too big/small. Next, the NFL shield on the collar. Here's a picture showing a real and fake:

The real is on the left while the fake is on the right. The newer jerseys have four stars on each side of the football. Another thing are the sleeves on our jerseys. Two things to look out for are that real jersey sleeves are cuffed on the end and the yellow/white stripes are actual material and aren't printed on our anything like that. Premiers and replicas are printed on. Fakes could also be printed on as well. So, about the name plates. On the home jerseys, as you see in the pictures above, the lettering is a darker yellow than the sleeves and don't have any trim around them. The away jerseys, have a black lining around the lettering for the last name. Things to watch out for is nameplates that are bigger than normal or the yellow could be very dark or very bright. Another thing to look out for is that the name plate could be a little crooked. The Reebok emblem on the side for Steelers jerseys on the home jerseys are also stitched and appear to be a gray or silver color. One more thing, all patches like captain patches, SB patches, etc are not available to the public on real authentics! You can get these on replicas like the SB patches.

Now, to end this cause I'm tired of typing all of this are the jock tag, swing tags, and material. For real authentic jerseys, they are made out of one hundred percent polyester. They have small breathable holes on the front and back. The sides, shoulders, and sleeves have no holes and are a little stretchable. This is for the padding for the players. The Reebok swing tags have changed over the years and just recently changed again to a more rectangular gray tag. Older ones are usually square in dark blue. Two big things to watch out for are the hologram stickers and white NFLPA swing tags. The NFLPA tag should not come with the jersey, they were never made and were never used. A true authentic will not have one. The stickers have also changed patterns and shape over the years. I believe there a square now and our on the back, not the front the blue or gray Reebok swing tag.

Jocktags are huge indicators of fake or real jerseys. They are the blue tags on the bottom left of the jerseys. Things to look for are spaces between the NFL and Players part, the NFLPA emblem, and the NFL shield. Here is a picture of the NFLPA emblem:

Billsfan has already done the comparing (this is from him).

Even though this isn't the best page on jerseys, here are a couple of videos from NJUFP that will help clarify. The first one is the older one and the second one is the updated version.

Here are the credits and links:
    To Billsfan from NFL Jersey Fan Paradise, thank you for all the information you have provided for everybody in the world about jerseys. If you ever come across this thread, please join us here.
    The link to their forum:
    http://nfljerseyfanparadise.forumotion.com/forum.htm
    The videos are also provided by NJFP.
    To whom ever wrote the article on Ebay about fakes and reals. Thank you for your advice and in-depth knowledge on the jerseys. Pictures also come from this individual. Here is the link to that page:
    http://www.thumper300zx.com/jersey/fake_vs_real.htm
    One more and of course the NFLshop for the pictures of the Miller and Harrison jerseys.
    © 2010, NFL Enterprises LLC. NFL and the NFL shield design are registered trademarks of the National Football League. The team names, logos and uniform designs are registered trademarks of the teams indicated. All other NFL-related trademarks are trademarks of the National Football League.

If you have anymore information, just type a reply!
    Last edited by steelerdude15; 09-13-2010 at 05:50 PM.

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

Re: How to spot a real NFL jersey

Very well done!

Thank you for posting this - I'm sure going to be on the lookout from now on when I buy my sports jerseys.

CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!

Married and happy Array title="BPS3akaWirels3 has a spectacular aura about"> BPS3akaWirels3's Avatar

I really do not care as long as it looks good to me.. I have bought one jersey off Steelers.com and I am not impressed. Made in Honduras..

But thanks for the hardwork buddy..

Nothing better then a Black & Gold Wedding 09/24/11

Shenaniguy Array title="kmsteelerwr15 is on a distinguished road"> kmsteelerwr15's Avatar

I used to buy all the replica jerseys and have recently gone to the ones from China. They aren't perfect but I like them better then buying an over priced one from the NFL

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kmsteelerwr15 View Post
    I used to buy all the replica jerseys and have recently gone to the ones from China. They aren't perfect but I like them better then buying an over priced one from the NFL
    Amen. I got a Lambert one from China for $32. The only thing wrong with it is the color in the name on the back is a little different from the color on the sleeves. Its fake but I would much rather have it for $32 than something a little better for $250... I would never pay that much for a jersey unless it was game worn and signed....

Shenaniguy Array title="kmsteelerwr15 is on a distinguished road"> kmsteelerwr15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steeldevil View Post
    Amen. I got a Lambert one from China for $32. The only thing wrong with it is the color in the name on the back is a little different from the color on the sleeves. Its fake but I would much rather have it for $32 than something a little better for $250... I would never pay that much for a jersey unless it was game worn and signed....
    Plus the replica are almost $100 now and the numbers begin to fade as well.

Married and happy Array title="BPS3akaWirels3 has a spectacular aura about"> BPS3akaWirels3's Avatar

Yep.. That is the one I have and it sucks.. What a rip...

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Yea that happened to my little brother's Ben replica and is starting to happen to my Ward replica... I will be getting the "authentics" from China from now on haha.

BORNTRADE.COM

I have gotten all but 2 jerseys from there...

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

Wow, very nice job bro

I have a couple of fake jerseys but have never had a problem with them. Still, I try to always get the real deal

This should help in the future. thanks
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Me too. I got #56 and #43 for $25 each and they are no worse than the "official" replica jerseys.

Also, I can't afford $200+ for an authentic jersey so it's the cheap ones for me.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

I'm not done with this thread yet, I'll still be making more updates to it soon. I did pay $289.99 (plus s/h) for mine, but I saved up for it. It's not like I just blew my money on one. Plus these jerseys last for a long time.

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

Awesome work, steelerdude. I've bought all my jerseys at department stores. Some of them have held up quite well, but on some the numbers are deteriorating because of washing. I'll have to take a closer look and see if I can notice the differences you have pointed out.

Well, I just did some more editing and it's a little improved. Hope all like!

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    Well, I just did some more editing and it's a little improved. Hope all like!
    Very well done.

It's obvious that you took a great deal of time and effort!!!
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

I want both a #3 Reed jersey and a #24 Matt Cooke jersey (both in black preferably) and I checked Born Trade's website and can't either one of them in a ladies jersey. Anyone have any suggestions on where I can find both of these?

CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!

Well.... you could always go to NFLshop.com for the Reed jersey and SHOP.NHL.COM for the Cooke jersey. Here is the link for the Cooke jersey: http://shop.nhl.com/product/index.js...y_bestsell_txt. The one for the Reed jersey: http://www.nflshop.com/product/index...entPage=family

Bump! Trying to make this a sticky!

send the mods a PM

send the mods a PM
    Been doing it sir.

Done

Senior Member Array title="SteeleReign is a name known to all">

I've been Borntrade-ing like a mad man & am friggin lovin' it. I've gotten 3 M&N's (Lambert, Franco, & a Lebeau Lions throwback) & they are all incredible. No complaints at all & for $32 each I can fill my closet for what it costs to buy one "authentic" from NFL shop. What a rip!

Quote Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
    I've been Borntrade-ing like a mad man & am friggin lovin' it. I've gotten 3 M&N's (Lambert, Franco, & a Lebeau Lions throwback) & they are all incredible. No complaints at all & for $32 each I can fill my closet for what it costs to buy one "authentic" from NFL shop. What a rip!
    Please do not temp me.. I am holding out... I know I am due for another 3 or 4 jerseys. Trying to hold out for my B-day..

Quote Originally Posted by BucsPensStillerakawirels3 View Post
    Please do not temp me.. I am holding out... I know I am due for another 3 or 4 jerseys. Trying to hold out for my B-day..
    Yeah, I hear ya...it's tough. Obviously, I'm no Lions fan, but I love Lebeau. His Lions throwback is SHHHHWWEEEEETTTT!!! I got the white one & love it!

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

I never thought about getting a jersey other than a Steelers jersey ... but I'd definitely wear the Lebeau Lions jersey. Might have to do it ...

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
    I never thought about getting a jersey other than a Steelers jersey ... but I'd definitely wear the Lebeau Lions jersey. Might have to do it ...
    I hear ya...I kinda thought the same way, but my respect for Lebeau goes waaay beyond football. And, the Lions throwback looks awesome. Do it - you won't regret it!

Latin Steel Array title="SMR has a spectacular aura about"> SMR's Avatar

I'm not done with this thread yet, I'll still be making more updates to it soon. I did pay $289.99 (plus s/h) for mine, but I saved up for it. It's not like I just blew my money on one. Plus these jerseys last for a long time.
    Good job for all the hard work and research you've put into this thread. Too bad it seems to degenerate into some second-hand quality jersey talk, lol. No hard feelings to the others since I do respect their opinions, but like you steelersdude15, I'm a firm believer in the real deal authentic jerseys. Also, like you, I do save up money over time to get the good ones.
    WE are the NFL's All-Time Dynasty!

Thanks SMR!

Latin Steel Array title="SMR has a spectacular aura about"> SMR's Avatar

Thanks SMR!
    You got it bud!
    WE are the NFL's All-Time Dynasty!

BUMP