Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TPOP: They Might Be Giants...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

TPOP: They Might Be Giants...

Here is my response to the Cowboys-Steelers game... in a way. It's definitely in the "woulda, shoulda, coulda" category. Enjoy.

They Might Be Giants...
    by Tiger Rowan

In order to help chase away my post-Cowboys-loss blues, I decided to watch the Giants beat up on the Bengals. Thankfully, I was not disappointed. More importantly, while watching the game, the player that stuck out was Giants safety, Landon Collins. It seemed as though the kid was developing right before my very eyes.

Immediately, I had a flashback to the 2015 draft, wherein Mike Tomlin tried to trade up (to pick #33) in order to draft Collins. The Steelers offered a fourth-round pick, but the Giants wanted a third-round pick. The trade fell through, and adding insult to injury, the Giants took the exact player for whom the Steelers were attempting to trade up (Collins).

Read more here:
    http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/...been-steelers/

Feel free to pass this along to anyone who feel might enjoy reading it.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: TPOP: They Might Be Giants...

Another view that could be added is that if they take OBJ, it is almost a certainty that they do not take Bryant as well and that the 4th round pick would have been a defensive player. Still though, I'd take OBJ and Collins (definitely) over Bryant and Shamarko any time. Sure with OBJ, his b.s. with a kicking net becomes Pittsburgh's problem, but I'd take that over Bryant's bullcrap with getting his ass suspended for a total of 20 games in 2 years then bragging about his absence hurting the team on social media, especially since OBJ is a significantly better player anyway

Also, I hate to be that guy but if I remember correctly, the Titans held the pick entering Day 2 of the draft, and they traded with the Giants instead of Pittsburgh.

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

No need for quoting, because I agreed with everything as I read it, and your analysis is very indicative of a problem this team has with judging and developing current and future talent.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Sure with OBJ, his b.s. with a kicking net becomes Pittsburgh's problem, but I'd take that over Bryant's bullcrap with getting his ass suspended for a total of 20 games in 2 years then bragging about his absence hurting the team on social media
    Yes, OBJ's bullcrap is definitely a lot more palatable than Bryant's.
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Except OBJ and AB are both #1 receivers. Which one subjugates his ego and settles for being the #2 in Pittsburgh? They're BOTH the definition of "diva" WRs (sorry, but it's true, AB).

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Except OBJ and AB are both #1 receivers. Which one subjugates his ego and settles for being the #2 in Pittsburgh? They're BOTH the definition of "diva" WRs (sorry, but it's true, AB).
    Let me answer that this way...

When the Vikings drafted Randy Moss, a reporter asked Denny Green: "You already have Chris Carter AND Jake Reed... how will you make sure that everyone gets enough targets???"

To which, Denny replied: "That is a good problem to have."

Another view that could be added is that if they take OBJ, it is almost a certainty that they do not take Bryant as well and that the 4th round pick would have been a defensive player. Still though, I'd take OBJ and Collins (definitely) over Bryant and Shamarko any time. Sure with OBJ, his b.s. with a kicking net becomes Pittsburgh's problem, but I'd take that over Bryant's bullcrap with getting his ass suspended for a total of 20 games in 2 years then bragging about his absence hurting the team on social media, especially since OBJ is a significantly better player anyway

Also, I hate to be that guy but if I remember correctly, the Titans held the pick entering Day 2 of the draft, and they traded with the Giants instead of Pittsburgh.
    Amen!!! Beckham reminds me of T.O., in that you can sort of deal with the whining and theatrics, because when he's on the field, he gives 100%. Oh... and, as you said: he's available (i.e. kicking a net is childish, but it doesn't get you suspended for a year).

Re: Tennessee
    Crud!!! You are correct.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Let me answer that this way...

When the Vikings drafted Randy Moss, a reporter asked Denny Green: "You already have Chris Carter AND Jake Reed... how will you make sure that everyone gets enough targets???"

To which, Denny replied: "That is a good problem to have."
    Point taken.

Amen!!! Beckham reminds me of T.O., in that you can sort of deal with the whining and theatrics, because when he's on the field, he gives 100%. Oh... and, as you said: he's available (i.e. kicking a net is childish, but it doesn't get you suspended for a year).
    Not to mention funny as hell...

Not to mention funny as hell...

Just imagine all of the threads that he'd inspire. It would almost be worth it to let Tee Tee come back.

Just imagine all of the threads that he'd inspire. It would almost be worth it to let Tee Tee come back.
    YOU WOULDN'T SEE ANY OF BELICHICK'S PLAYERS DOING THAT! REAL GOOD DISCIPLINE THERE, COOL SHADES!!!

YOU WOULDN'T SEE ANY OF BELICHICK'S PLAYERS DOING THAT! REAL GOOD DISCIPLINE THERE, COOL SHADES!!!

The NFL draft... Collins... ODB... pffft...

Two words: international bankers.

The NFL draft... Collins... ODB... pffft...

Two words: international bankers.
    DAMN international bankers.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

DAMN international bankers.

Yesterday, I was obviously watching Collins and ODB closely.

More importantly (jumping to the bottom of the editorial)...

1) Ladarius Green: 6 rec, 110 yards, TD.

2) I have lambasted Mike Mitchell for two years, but today, he had two heady plays. On both plays, he could have gone for the kill shot (which is his M.O.), but instead, he broke up both passes... on third downs, no less.

3) Now... all they need is a WR to step up and take hold of the "#2" spot.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Yesterday, I was obviously watching Collins and ODB closely.

2) I have lambasted Mike Mitchell for two years, but today, he had two heady plays. On both plays, he could have gone for the kill shot (which is his M.O.), but instead, he broke up both passes... on third downs, no less.
    2 good games in a row for Mitchell. Is the sky falling?
    Hater = Realist

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

I'm glad that OBJ isn't on the Steelers. He's the biggest crybaby in the NFL.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Indeed.

This is not an embellishment: after Mitchell's second pass-breakup, I walked outside and looked into the sky. My brother asked me what I was doing. I replied: "I am looking for unicorns falling from the sky."

(Because, that is about as believable as Mitchell breaking up two passes in the same game.)

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post

He has been playing better since Davis has been moved into the starting lineup. Safeties work in tandem and he has been forced to play a different style for most of this season. Butler now has Mitchell doing what he does best....attacking the ball. Whatever adjustments have been made coincided with Sean Davis being on the field.

They have been playing weaker opponents,but there is no doubt that what they're doing is working. I believe Mitchell has taken a lot of criticism for not performing well because he has been playing a part in the defense that does not fit his skill set for the good of the team. When they let him do what he does best he is a difference maker with his physical presence and intimidation in the secondary.

Sean Davis is showing signs that he could be a real player that could be a large part of this defense for years.
    Last edited by pczach; 12-06-2016 at 12:39 PM.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

You are definitely on to something. Ever since Davis and Burns started settling in and playing fundamental and assignment sound football, Mitchell started performing better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Collins would make for a good Steeler. A little happy now that we didn't get OBJ after watching his behavior. Talent, yes. Locker room trouble, yes. No thanks.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    You are definitely on to something. Ever since Davis and Burns started settling in and playing fundamental and assignment sound football, Mitchell started performing better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That "Cool Shades" coach did some poker playing.......

Good for him. His fortunes felt as bleak as those of anyone associated with the Steelers a month ago, but he's since been as instrumental as anyone in the defense getting better. Because it's his call, not Butler's, when it comes to who gets a helmet and who uses it. It was the head coach who benched Jarvis Jones and, to a lesser extent, Arthur Moats. He turned instead to a healthy Bud Dupree and an eternal James Harrison because, to recite one of Tomlin's best lines all season, "What are we preserving him for?" He also demoted Robert Golden for Sean Davis, Willie Gay for Artie Burns, bucking his own longstanding precedent of needlessly burying rookies.
    http://dkpittsburghsports.com/2016/1...cking-started/

Senior Member Array title="CapLovesTroyP43 is a jewel in the rough"> CapLovesTroyP43's Avatar

What the hell does TPOP mean???????

"BIG MEN AND BIG BLADES OF GRASS"

Quote Originally Posted by CapLovesTroyP43 View Post
    What the hell does TPOP mean???????
    http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Collins would make for a good Steeler. A little happy now that we didn't get OBJ after watching his behavior. Talent, yes. Locker room trouble, yes. No thanks.
    Yeah OBJ is an f-ing jackass. The only upside to it is that the team wouldn't have to deal with him getting suspended every year like they have to with Bryant (remember, if they take Beckham, they don't take Bryant)

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    He has been playing better since Davis has been moved into the starting lineup. Safeties work in tandem and he has been forced to play a different style for most of this season. Butler now has Mitchell doing what he does best....attacking the ball. Whatever adjustments have been made coincided with Sean Davis being on the field.

They have been playing weaker opponents,but there is no doubt that what they're doing is working. I believe Mitchell has taken a lot of criticism for not performing well because he has been playing a part in the defense that does not fit his skill set for the good of the team. When they let him do what he does best he is a difference maker with his physical presence and intimidation in the secondary.

Sean Davis is showing signs that he could be a real player that could be a large part of this defense for years.
    Excellent point

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I'm starting to think the same thing...

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah OBJ is an f-ing jackass. The only upside to it is that the team wouldn't have to deal with him getting suspended every year like they have to with Bryant (remember, if they take Beckham, they don't take Bryant)
    That is very true.

All of that said, watching Odell complain after every single play drove me nuts. My pet peeve is receivers who look for the flag (as opposed to simply trying harder to make the catch). So, as phenomenal as Beckham is, I wouldn't want to watch him cry week after week.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Excellent point

Are you starting to see some of the talents that have the coaching staff excited about Davis?

I think what we're seeing is just the tip of the iceberg of what is possible with Davis. He has the type of versatility they have been searching for since Troy was no longer Troy.

I really like what I'm seeing, and I think he has a very, very high ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Are you starting to see some of the talents that have the coaching staff excited about Davis?

I think what we're seeing is just the tip of the iceberg of what is possible with Davis. He has the type of versatility they have been searching for since Troy was no longer Troy.

I really like what I'm seeing, and I think he has a very, very high ceiling.
    To clarify:
    I've never disliked Davis. My axe to grind has been solely with Mitchell.

On "Inside the NFL" they were talking about Odell... and how he'd act if he were on the Steelers.

The consensus was that BB would not allow Beckham to act like that/BB would keep him in check.

So... I'm once again back on the "too bad we couldn't trade up up for ODB in 2014" bandwagon.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

That is very true.

All of that said, watching Odell complain after every single play drove me nuts. My pet peeve is receivers who look for the flag (as opposed to simply trying harder to make the catch). So, as phenomenal as Beckham is, I wouldn't want to watch him cry week after week.
    I wonder how much of that is a player thing and how much of that is a team thing? Lots of Steelers WR's make motions for a flag after almost any ball they don't catch, with AB and Bryant the two worst offenders - but Wallace and Ward were no slouches in this department either. But it doesn't reach the histrionic levels that OBJ takes it to. Maybe some of this is on the Giants and their coaching staff for letting the player continue to get away with emotional outbursts with no consequences?

We talk all the time around here about lack of veteran leadership, little impact on players by the coaches, etc - yet you rarely see players under Tomlin pulling these types of things.

To clarify:
    I've never disliked Davis. My axe to grind has been solely with Mitchell.
    That's not what I was implying teeg.I'my sorry you took it that way.

I was referring to the plan the team has for upgrading the athleticism of the defense. I think it goes back to the discussion we had when you said you thought Vince Williams was a good enough player and that the team should have gone in another direction with draft picks. I think you are now starting to see the strategy coming together on the field when you see Ryan Shazier and Davis on the field at the same time with Burns and Cockrell starting, and Gay and Gilbert in the rotation.

The increase in athleticism is off the charts from where they were just a year and a half ago.

Does what I'm saying make sense?