Thread: Steelers defensive end Cam Heyward out for rest of season

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Steelers defensive end Cam Heyward out for rest of season

http://www.wtae.com/article/steelers...season/8292861

"I would like to thank everyone who has been in my corner this season. It pains me to say that I will not get to continue playing this season. My role will change as I can not play but it will not change the goals the team has set out. My support for this team will only grow and I look forward in watching this team grow and fight on. Hate being on the sideline but there is a greater plan taking place. My patience will be tested but I look forward to 2017. My hand will remain in the pile no matter what!"

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Steelers defensive end Cam Heyward out for rest of season

And just when we thought things couldn't get any worse

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

Wish every player on our team had his heart and class!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Well....just another year where devastating injuries keep piling up.

This totally sucks. Cam has been playing hurt and Tuitt is exhausted from having to play every down. Dupree hasn't played a snap all year.

I thought that the defensive line and the pass rushing presence of Dupree would be a strength, and that the defense would be much better. It just hasn't worked out that way due to injuries.

On the bright side, Hargrave will have a full year of experience and a full off season of NFL caliber conditioning. A healthy Heyward, Tuitt, and Dupree does still get me excited about the future.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Are you shitting me?

Well, that looks like it's about the end of the line for the defense this year. I don't know how the pass rush recovers from this one, not that we had a pass rush to begin with.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Well that was a "fun" season.

Once again, the injury evaluation in this team blows...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    On the bright side, Hargrave will have a full year of experience and a full off season of NFL caliber conditioning. A healthy Heyward, Tuitt, and Dupree does still get me excited about the future.
    I noticed you didn't include shazier in your healthy list...is that because you think he will be injured...again?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I expect the Steelers will be picking #15 or less in next years draft. Time to start dreaming again.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

looks like Tomlin didnt learn about overusing our DE's from last year. Looks like Tuitt is about to be overworked even more than before. If he's next, i wouldnt be the least bit surprised
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="WCSteeler is on a distinguished road">

Bad news but there couldnt have been a soul on this forum who expected the Steelers to have made the playoffs even before this news. Now everyone can say "it's the injuries that derailed the season not awful coaching"

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

...well shit, that's just great.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I noticed you didn't include shazier in your healthy list...is that because you think he will be injured...again?
    No.

I was just commenting about the defensive line and the primary rushing threat. Having a healthy Shazier behind a good defensive line will definitely free him up to make even more splash plays.

I know things look like shit right now, but I still believe the future is bright. They should be in great shape for next year with the experience the young players are getting this year. If they can add a quality pass rusher through the draft or preferably free agency on the opposite side of Dupree and add even more talent,they will be in a very good spot with quality depth. The secondary appears to be getting better at the corner position, and with more health and experience Butler should have the talent for the defense to be more multiple, and the ability to more effectively run his scheme.

There are too many pieces on this defense that I like from a talent perspective to think that it can't get a lot better very quickly.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

All I can think is what a waste for the last year for JH, was hoping he had a good chance to get one more ring. At least we can get Hargrave and McCullers more exp this season.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WCSteeler View Post
    Bad news but there couldnt have been a soul on this forum who expected the Steelers to have made the playoffs even before this news. Now everyone can say "it's the injuries that derailed the season not awful coaching"
    There's at least 4 or 5 "Tomlin sucks" threads. Feel free to either post in one of those or turn the broken record over anytime now...

Member Array title="Rara is an unknown quantity at this point"> Rara's Avatar

My favorite defensive player gone for the year, that fucking sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    There's at least 4 or 5 "Tomlin sucks" threads. Feel free to either post in one of those or turn the broken record over anytime now...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I did expect them to make the playoffs and still do. The remaining schedule is in their favor and running against the other teams in the AFC North. Most predictions out there, still like the Steelers to take the division. I know, weird right? That being said, it is a division crown or bust this year in the AFC, no way they get in as a wild card.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

This season is pretty much over. Defense was already crap, now the best player is gone.

With all the $$$ they'll have in the offseason, they better use it for better d-line depth.

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

he is a very class act

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Good player. Good guy. Tough loss.

"Moj" is right. The Steelers could still win the division. But even with a healthy Cam it was a tough sell to believe they had any sort of chance of making an extended run in the playoffs with that defense. Now no Cam, no chance of getting to the AFC title game imo. I just hope we have a new defensive coordinator when he comes back next season.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="WCSteeler is on a distinguished road">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    There should be 6 or 7��

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

As big of a deal as it should be, I'm not much concerned about the effect to the on-field performance of the D. Yeah he's good, but until the whole D steps up, it's not gonna make much of a difference. Maybe this will light a fire. Who knows. All I know is that it wasn't working with Cam on the field either.

- - - Updated - - -

WRONG. I did expect it even after Sunday's loss, and I still expect it now, after Cam being out. The AFCN sucks and this team can go 9-7 and take the division. Houston is in first place without JJ Watt and Cam aint no JJ.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Another season of terrible injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    As big of a deal as it should be, I'm not much concerned about the effect to the on-field performance of the D. Yeah he's good, but until the whole D steps up, it's not gonna make much of a difference. Maybe this will light a fire. Who knows. All I know is that it wasn't working with Cam on the field either.

- - - Updated - - -

WRONG. I did expect it even after Sunday's loss, and I still expect it now, after Cam being out. The AFCN sucks and this team can go 9-7 and take the division. Houston is in first place without JJ Watt and Cam aint no JJ.

Yep. Well said.

Sometimes, the players on the field need to understand that they need to step up their game now that a player they look up to as a leader isn't there. They need to understand that their time is now. They need to all start making plays, but it all starts by everyone doing their job. Great things happen when everyone takes care of their own responsibilities and are accountable for their performances. Be confident, be smart, be aggressive, and most of all strive to be your best self because that's what the team needs right now from everyone.

That's how unexpected great things happen.

Let's take the training wheels off and let them fly around the field. Get creative. Get crazy. Let's see what happens. With Ben healthy again....I like their chances to win the division.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

On a better note, JH will start getting more snaps on that side, so the run def should not drop off as he can actually get off his blocks and make some tackles.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Interesting that they haven't put Heyward on the IR yet. He is listed on the regular weekly injury report.

Senior Member Array title="BigBen2004 will become famous soon enough">

^ I was going to ask about that.

Does anyone have any idea why he is still listed on the injury report?

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2004 View Post
    ^ I was going to ask about that.

Does anyone have any idea why he is still listed on the injury report?
    Guess that would be NO. Some conspiracy thing going on.