Thread: 2017 draft early prospects

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

2017 draft early prospects

The 2017 NFL draft has already been discussed for months, and I figured to post this for those curious about upcoming draft prospects. I have decided to focus on high positions of need. Note, top prospects likely won't be available.

OLB/Edge rusher: For obvious reasons

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2017OLB3-4.php

QB: Because Ben will be retiring in a few years (3 at most) and the team needs to think about a new QB replacement

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2017QB.php

S: The team has a current shortage on safeties that can actually play. Our best safety may be either Jordan Dangerfield for the fact that I have seen him on the field the least or Sean Davis in theory due to the fact that he is a raw rookie and theoretically could improve and actually show something on the field

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2017S.php

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: 2017 draft early prospects

Other prospects that deserve a look come from areas of supposed strength. IMO, we cannot overlook RB (Bell's next suspension will be for the season)
    WR (Lot's of good players on the roster now but need one more great)
    PK (Just saying those guaranteed 3 are becoming less and less guaranteed, plus we go for 2 way too much)
    and this one hurts me to mention, Center (Pouncey is the anchor and our best Olineman, true. Time to start looking for the next pro bowl C if only due to his injuries and the threat of sudden retirement due to them)

Notice that last offseason was all about the D, and this time all I mention is offense? st33lersguy already mentioned the 2 main D positions I would list. OLB, and safety. That's 6 positions of upgrade. No prospects to be named as of yet.

Senior Member Array title="TMC has a spectacular aura about">

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Other prospects that deserve a look come from areas of supposed strength. IMO, we cannot overlook RB (Bell's next suspension will be for the season)
    WR (Lot's of good players on the roster now but need one more great)
    PK (Just saying those guaranteed 3 are becoming less and less guaranteed, plus we go for 2 way too much)
    and this one hurts me to mention, Center (Pouncey is the anchor and our best Olineman, true. Time to start looking for the next pro bowl C if only due to his injuries and the threat of sudden retirement due to them)

Notice that last offseason was all about the D, and this time all I mention is offense? st33lersguy already mentioned the 2 main D positions I would list. OLB, and safety. That's 6 positions of upgrade. No prospects to be named as of yet.
    Bell's next suspension will only be for 4 games. Part of the deal he struck was reducing the suspension to 3 games, which kept him from moving to the next level. So, it is 4 games, then 10.

I think this draft is pretty strong/deep in some certain areas and I'm pretty happy if the Steelers stay in those areas. It has talent and depth at OLB, ILB, RB, WR, TE, DL, and DB. The offensive line isn't stellar. Quarterback, even though they are listing certain guys at the top, really isn't an elite group. I really would not mind them drafting another corner to push Cockrell/play opposite of Burns. I would not mind a safety to replace Mitchell. It is a strong safety draft. A coverage ILB would be nice to pair with Shazier in certain instances, maybe a hipppo safety/money backer. Depth on the DL would be nice, more inside than DEs because Walton and some of those guys are coming on.

On offense, a taller true starter opposite of Brown would be nice. TE depends on how they feel about Green. Good draft for RBs, might stack a guy in there. It seems like the strengths in this draft are falling in line with some areas we could bolster.

Safety doesn't look as big of a need now as it did earlier in the year as both Davis and Mitchell improved during the year. Still would be good to get depth at the position and if there is really good value for a dynamic player that could upgrade Mitchell and pair with Davis, that would not be bad

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Factor in that Mitchell is 30. Still a need for safeties.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Need OLB, TE, S, CB, WR (not necessarily in this order)

OLB in the first round, but don't reach.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

with all the Big Ben may retire talk ( even if he doesnt ) it is time to look at his eventual replacement and now is as good of time as any ( maybe better time than ever )

Stock on this kid now is slated as round 2 but I think it will climb and climb steadily between now and the draft ....

here is my breakdown for what it is worth

been watching a TON of QB tape since this story broke and I have questions about this kid and will list them but there is a LOT to like on tape too ...

Patrick Mahomes , this is the QB in this draft I like the most to date ...( has some Favre like ability )

I question

1) if he is a 1 read guy , some tape seems to indicate it

2) can he run a pro style offense , we have no evidence that he can because of the system he is coming from

3) does he have a tendency to stare down his target ( I think he does ) but can it be coached out of him and how long will it take ?

what I like

1) big arm , can make all the throws

2) pocket awareness

3) improvisational

4) he trusts his arm

5) can move around and even run if need be but looks to throw first

here is his 2016 Baylor game

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    with all the Big Ben may retire talk ( even if he doesnt ) it is time to look at his eventual replacement and now is as good of time as any ( maybe better time than ever )

Stock on this kid now is slated as round 2 but I think it will climb and climb steadily between now and the draft ....

here is my breakdown for what it is worth

been watching a TON of QB tape since this story broke and I have questions about this kid and will list them but there is a LOT to like on tape too ...

Patrick Mahomes , this is the QB in this draft I like the most to date ...( has some Favre like ability )

I question

1) if he is a 1 read guy , some tape seems to indicate it

2) can he run a pro style offense , we have no evidence that he can because of the system he is coming from

3) does he have a tendency to stare down his target ( I think he does ) but can it be coached out of him and how long will it take ?

what I like

1) big arm , can make all the throws

2) pocket awareness

3) improvisational

4) he trusts his arm

5) can move around and even run if need be but looks to throw first

here is his 2016 Baylor game

Steelers should stay away from Big12 QBs. Who was the last QB drafted out of the Big12 that turned out to be at least above average. Big12 QBs have had a nearly non-existent success rate in the NFL recently and I think the problem is that they are ill-prepared playing in college systems against some of the worst defenses in college football

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Steelers should stay away from Big12 QBs. Who was the last QB drafted out of the Big12 that turned out to be at least above average. Big12 QBs have had a nearly non-existent success rate in the NFL recently and I think the problem is that they are ill-prepared playing in college systems against some of the worst defenses in college football
    I do not buy into any of that , each player stands on their own merit and not on the failures of guys from the past .... when was the last time prior to Big Ben that ANY player from Miami of Ohio was worth a damn in the NFL ? see my point ?

I do not buy into any of that , each player stands on their own merit and not on the failures of guys from the past .... when was the last time prior to Big Ben that ANY player from Miami of Ohio was worth a damn in the NFL ? see my point ?
    It's not just about comparing past players, it's about the nature of the conference that leaves the QBs ill-prepared for the pro game and sets them up for failures in the pros. The QBs are put in simplistic college systems and the defenses they end up going up against are just horrendous

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    It's not just about comparing past players, it's about the nature of the conference that leaves the QBs ill-prepared for the pro game and sets them up for failures in the pros. The QBs are put in simplistic college systems and the defenses they end up going up against are just horrendous
    targeted that stuff in the " I question " part of the OP ...

but hard to ignore the like part ... kid has the best arm of all the QBs in this draft

Actually a lot of good NFL QBs came out of the MAC. I don't totally agree with the 'conference' angle either, but there is some validity to it. On one hand, the PAC12 has been touted as a no defense conference, yet produced Rodgers, and Luck. The Big12 is supposed to play better defense than the PAC12 but doesn't produce any quality QBs at the next level. The most successful in recent years is probably Sam Bradford. But here's the main point, I very much agree with you that it comes down more to the individual guy, than where he played college football. I'll need to look at some highlights on Mahomes.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Air Force, Jalen Robinette(WR) 6’2/6 218, 33 1/8 arms, 10 7/8 hands, and a 78 7/8 wingspan. Nearly 11 inch hands.
    Hater = Realist