Thread: Unresolved issues haunt the Steelers...again

Senior Member Array title="WCSteeler is on a distinguished road">

Unresolved issues haunt the Steelers...again

There is not a whole lot of positives that came from the Steelers week 7 game vs Patriots. Landry Jones looked lost for a good portion of the game, there was no pass rush to speak of and the secondary was poor to put it kindly. A normally solid kicker struggled and the coaching was among the worst we've seen in quite some time. Now before we go blaming the absence of Big Ben the team on the other side of the ball did just fine for the first 4 games of the season without Tom Brady. Cam sat with a hamstring injury but as I recall there are 10 other guys on that field who are paid handsomely for the Steelers, oddly enough the best player by far on defense was probably Jarvis Jones and that doesn't bode well for the rest of the guys out on that field. The Patriots 2 big time 3rd down drops that really kept the Steelers in the game. Half way through the season and the defense cannot produce a pass rush or look even remotely confidence inspiring in the secondary. The run defense looked decent but let's remember this is a team that has spent it's last 4 1st round picks on defense and that doesn't even touch how many have been spent in the 2nd-6th. Drafting and development of defensive players has not lived up to expectation, the standard is the standard after all.This team has half a season to improve and hopefully they do but "next man up" does not have the arrow pointed up.for this group.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Re: Unresolved issues haunt the Steelers...again

A Steelers win and you would have probably gone back into the woodwork. That's arguably the biggest downside...

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    A Steelers win and you would have probably gone back into the woodwork. That's arguably the biggest downside...
    Good to see some positive feedback there, not sure if you watched the game but it was another loss

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WCSteeler View Post
    There is not a whole lot of positives that came from the Steelers week 7 game vs Patriots. Landry Jones looked lost for a good portion of the game, there was no pass rush to speak of and the secondary was poor to put it kindly. A normally solid kicker struggled and the coaching was among the worst we've seen in quite some time. Now before we go blaming the absence of Big Ben the team on the other side of the ball did just fine for the first 4 games of the season without Tom Brady. Cam sat with a hamstring injury but as I recall there are 10 other guys on that field who are paid handsomely for the Steelers, oddly enough the best player by far on defense was probably Jarvis Jones and that doesn't bode well for the rest of the guys out on that field. The Patriots 2 big time 3rd down drops that really kept the Steelers in the game. Half way through the season and the defense cannot produce a pass rush or look even remotely confidence inspiring in the secondary. The run defense looked decent but let's remember this is a team that has spent it's last 4 1st round picks on defense and that doesn't even touch how many have been spent in the 2nd-6th. Drafting and development of defensive players has not lived up to expectation, the standard is the standard after all.This team has half a season to improve and hopefully they do but "next man up" does not have the arrow pointed up.for this group.
    Just go away. Your points are way off. The Patriots caught a break catching us when they did. If we see them again in the playoffs, they won't be so lucky.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Good to see some positive feedback there, not sure if you watched the game but it was another loss
    Which is the ONLY TIME you ever show up here.

Weak.

Sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Just go away. Your points are way off. The Patriots caught a break catching us when they did. If we see them again in the playoffs, they won't be so lucky.
    My points are way off? Boswell had a good game? The pass rush looked adequate? I'm not a Homer and I point out this teams flaws and some fans can't handle that. This team is good but needs work

My points are way off? Boswell had a good game? The pass rush looked adequate? I'm not a Homer and I point out this teams flaws and some fans can't handle that. This team is good but needs work
    No, you only show up to piss and moan when the team loses. And your "points" have been pointed out ad nauseam by others.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    No, you only show up to piss and moan when the team loses. And your "points" have been pointed out ad nauseam by others.
    The issues have pointed out at "naseam" by others are reoccurring issues. This wonderful site was created for people to vent and share enthusiasm . For me winning would be as sweet if losing didn't suck so much

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Back-up RT

Back-up ILB. Notice on the few series Shazier played, the defense had a whole other look? Imagine him chasing Edelman around instead of Timmons.

Rookie CB.

Robert Golden on Gronk.

Best interior Pass Rusher hurt

Best edge pass rusher hurt

2nd best WR injured and ineffective.

3rd best WR injured and not suiting up.

2nd string QB who until this week's game looked like he didn't belong on a HS JV team.

Should I go on or do you get the point? there is no magic wand to wave and fix the problems with this team lately. They are like a one legged man in an ass kicking contest until they get some guys healthy.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Unresolved issues haunt the Steelers...again

I didn't see Landry as being lost at all...lol. His game progressed in a positive way last year and it looks like it's progressed further this year. Like I've said, he's a very, very good third string QB. He's not a very good 2nd stringer, but he's getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Member Array title="Skinart82 is an unknown quantity at this point">

Personally I think he has a point, except I thought Landry did pretty well tonight. My biggest gripe is yet again the coaching, it was piss poor to say the least. When he went for the FG on 4th and 3 down 11, 54 yard FG attempt, he conceded the game, it was a terrible call, the Patriots could have easily just put the game out of reach if they scored again, and our D was not making a habit out of stopping them or anything. Coming on here and griping is what this board is for, especially if you're a displaced Steeler fan like myself, born in Johnstown, live in TN, we don't really have anyone else to talk to some days, we are just as upset as everyone else and look for a way to vent, if it bothers people so bad, just don't read it, why take the time to hurl insults and bitch. We are all Steeler fans, and that's all we are, fans, so relax, read or don't read and just enjoy the fact that sometimes we can all have some pretty good discussions, remember, in the end, it's just a game that people get paid a lot of money to play, but when you wake up tomorrow, you're life will still be the same, the Steelers won't give us anything extra for a win or loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinart82 View Post
    Personally I think he has a point, except I thought Landry did pretty well tonight. My biggest gripe is yet again the coaching, it was piss poor to say the least. When he went for the FG on 4th and 3 down 11, 54 yard FG attempt, he conceded the game, it was a terrible call, the Patriots could have easily just put the game out of reach if they scored again, and our D was not making a habit out of stopping them or anything. Coming on here and griping is what this board is for, especially if you're a displaced Steeler fan like myself, born in Johnstown, live in TN, we don't really have anyone else to talk to some days, we are just as upset as everyone else and look for a way to vent, if it bothers people so bad, just don't read it, why take the time to hurl insults and bitch. We are all Steeler fans, and that's all we are, fans, so relax, read or don't read and just enjoy the fact that sometimes we can all have some pretty good discussions, remember, in the end, it's just a game that people get paid a lot of money to play, but when you wake up tomorrow, you're life will still be the same, the Steelers won't give us anything extra for a win or loss.
    There are types of people who cannot take critical analysis and others who find it necessary to identify flaws and correct them, Does the team have talent? Absolutely.Does the team lack in certain areas?Yes but being able to live with that isn't in everyone's DNA

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

You are in the middle of not being able to take critical analysis, and enjoying being angry and only focusing on negative aspects? Ok then.

You are in the middle of not being able to take critical analysis, and enjoying being angry and only focusing on negative aspects? Ok then.
    Re-read my reply and then comment

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

There are types of people who cannot take critical analysis and others who find it necessary to identify flaws and correct them, Does the team have talent? Absolutely.Does the team lack in certain areas?Yes but being able to live with that isn't in everyone's DNA
    Critical analysis has been a part of this forum since 2010. We identify what we think are flaws and share our ideas on how to correct them and lo we are still here. I suggest you take your resume to Kevin Colbert at your earliest convenience, keep us posted on how that goes. He hasn't listened to any of us.

Senior Member Array title="StillCurtains is a name known to all">

Exactly!!!! Come on! No Ben, No Coates, No Wheaton, No Gilbert, No Rogers, No Heyward. Also getting back Dupree and Greene will be huge!

It seems no one has heard of continuity especially against the best team in the AFC with a full deck of cards! This defense badly needs to get Heyward and Dupree back on the field to begin to gel as a unit with all their cogs available.

On offense we were down to Landry Jones with only AB, Heyward Bey and Cobi Hamilton at receiver who came off of the practice squad. Yes we had Bell but it's difficult to do much when they're loading up to stop the run to force Landry to beat them while not having a full compliment of receivers.

Who expects no struggle under those circumstances against one of the best teams in the league. I expected a loss and actually much worse than it was. I was rooting for a win of course and they battled hard. The odds were pretty much impossible! I'm glad that you and others can see it that way, but there are some who are just ridiculous and need to go away as you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Critical analysis has been a part of this forum since 2010. We identify what we think are flaws and share our ideas on how to correct them and lo we are still here. I suggest you take your resume to Kevin Colbert at your earliest convenience, keep us posted on how that goes. He hasn't listened to any of us.
    Can you pm me his email my Samsung caught fire and I've lost all of my contacts

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

"No Wheaton" is not a good argument. Hamilton has been better than Wheaton...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

The OP is correct except for the Jones comments. He looked okay considering the circumstances. Remember Ben throws stupid INT's as well. Yes the two missed FG's hurt but again it comes down to this defense. They simply cannot stop people. Another 100 yard rusher. How can you let Gronk run wide open twice? This defense isn't winning us anything and still needs major work. If you add on the missed FG's 22 points with our defense from 2008 easily wins yesterday.

Re-read my reply and then comment
    Nicely edited comment?

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Look Landry played ok yesterday just missing too many players to beat the cheats and, for a while Brady looked a little frustrated. With a healthy team the steelers have a chance to the cheats.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

My points are way off? Boswell had a good game?
    Boswell did miss 2 FGs but i don't really blame him for his second miss on that 54 yd attempt.

I thought Tomlin should have gone for it there on 4th and short...

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Boswell did miss 2 FGs but i don't really blame him for his second miss on that 54 yd attempt.

I thought Tomlin should have gone for it there on 4th and short...
    I think that Tomlin should have gone for it also but it's still the responsibility of Boswell to make the kick when called upon. He had the distance but pushed it right.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    I think that Tomlin should have gone for it also but it's still the responsibility of Boswell to make the kick when called upon. He had the distance but pushed it right.
    That is a good way of saying it.