Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Game ball and Goats.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Game ball and Goats.

Without out a doubt, Le'Veon gets my game ball. Week in and week out, he shows how valuable of a player he is. I've never seen a running back with such patience, waiting for holes to open up. Also, he's a great receiver. I don't think I need to say anymore about him.

My Goats are quite a few. First one, Landry. Too many passes that were under thrown (two in the endzone which one led to an interception) or passes that were throw too wide. Poor clock management on his part. He did have a few nice passes including the 51 yard throw to Antonio and the throw to Hey-Bey for our first touchdown.

My second goat goes to the offensive line for their lack of discipline. There were several penalties they caused. It was very frustrating to see one too many holdings and false starts.

My third goat goes to the lack of a pass rush from the defense. There were times where they did get some pressure on Brady, but he mostly went untouched tonight.

My forth and final goat goes to Kris. I know he is a very reliable kicker, but missing 2 field goals didn't help.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Re: Game ball and Goats.

Get well soon, Ben...

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

The QB and the stupid kicker are both goats.

Bell and #83 are the only ones who showed up to play the whole game.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Goat was Tomlin. Worst challenge I've ever seen in the first half. Say it didn't matter? If we had that time out at the end of the half we would have had a lot better play selection. The chances of scoring a TD there go up significantly with one more TO. Plus to try a 54 yard fg on 4th and 2 down by 11! Chicken shit call! Was the wrong call even if we get the fg there. If we don't get the first I'm fine. Just have some balls and try to keep that drive alive! That was the game there the moment he sent out the fg unit, no matter the result.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Plus to try a 54 yard fg on 4th and 2 down by 11! Chicken shit call! Was the wrong call even if we get the fg there. If we don't get the first I'm fine. Just have some balls and try to keep that drive alive! That was the game there the moment he sent out the fg unit, no matter the result.
    Was definitely reminiscent of Cowher sending out the FG unit in the 2004 AFCCG when we were down by 3 TDs...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Even the coaching staff has no confidence in landry jones.

2 years in row a loss to the Pats was helped along by the idiot kicker getting the yips

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

I didn't see Landry as a goat at all. Getting a td taken off the board that would have tied the game at 14 was a tough break. Yeah he cost us a fg attempt with a terrible end zone throw early, and you could see several times where he was on a different page than the receivers, but overall, after the first quarter he kept the sticks moving and Brady off the field. Yes we needed more points than what we got. But Boswell missing a fg he never misses and Tomlin moronically sending out the fg unit to attempt a fg on 4th and 2 with the game still in the balance wasn't on Landry. Overall I'd give him a C+ at worst. He gave us a chance. Just not enough other things fell into place.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

We were down by 11 with 10 mins to go. 3 pts puts us one score down. Our D had been playing well. I don't object to the play call, just missing it. Boz let us down, twice. The hold negating the TD and then missing on the FG was a huge momentum swing. We are a better team than these Pats this year. We win that game 4 out of 5 times.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Was definitely reminiscent of Cowher sending out the FG unit in the 2004 AFCCG when we were down by 3 TDs...
    As Rocky Balboa would say. "Absolutely."

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Not sure how many can blame Jones. He played well, for a back up. Threw the ball 47 times. Should've have had a 2nd TD before the half, but Hubbard's hold brought it back.

This could have been ugly, and it really wasn't. Single coverage on Gronk was the reason for the letdown at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    We were down by 11 with 10 mins to go. 3 pts puts us one score down. Our D had been playing well. I don't object to the play call, just missing it. Boz let us down, twice. The hold negating the TD and then missing on the FG was a huge momentum swing. We are a better team than these Pats this year. We win that game 4 out of 5 times.
    Attempting a kick longer than the kicker has ever made in his life into the open end zone didn't make sense.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I agree that Tomlin not going for it on fourth down was stupid, plus he should have played third down differently knowing he had two downs to get 2 yards.

They struggled to get plays off on time because all the plays were coming from Haley, and Jones isn't quite as quick as Ben when the bullets are flying.

They made too many mistakes. Jones throwing that interception was huge. The missed field goal was huge. The touchdown that was called back was big. The Patriots not being called for an obvious pass interference call on a long pass that would have gotten them points was big. They had their opportunities to still come out on top in this game.

Overall, I think it's easy to overreact to the loss right after the game. Jones was playing pretty well, but once AB got hurt, they had nobody playing WR that was a real threat. Think about it. Bryant gone for the year, Wheaton out injured, AB playing on one leg and missing some time, Coates shouldn't have even been on the field after reinjuring his hand early in the game. Any quarterback would be struggling to throw the ball if the fifth, sixth, and seventh best WR's on the team were on the field. That's part of the reason he didn't do as well in the second half.

Bell is awesome. He makes yards when it looks like just getting to the line of scrimmage seems impossible. This is why handing Bell the ball on the third and 2 that eventually fourth and 2 was a big mistake to me. Spread the field and hand the ball to Bell.

The offensive line did commit too many penalties, but they also played well for most of the game. Jones had plenty of time all game to look around the field.

The secondary actually played pretty well today except for the blown coverage on Gronk's long TD catch.

They played with a lot of effort today. It just wasn't enough against a really good team and playing with a depleted roster.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Not sure how many can blame Jones. He played well, for a back up. Threw the ball 47 times. Should've have had a 2nd TD before the half, but Hubbard's hold brought it back.

This could have been ugly, and it really wasn't. Single coverage on Gronk was the reason for the letdown at the end.
    I'd like to hear from the officials why they threw a flag on Hubbard (yes, it was a hold) but not on Solder when he did the EXACT same thing to Harrison on one of NE's TDs. He tackled James to the ground as James was going around him, just like Hubbard did.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    I'd like to hear from the officials why they threw a flag on Hubbard (yes, it was a hold) but not on Solder when he did the EXACT same thing to Harrison on one of NE's TDs. He tackled James to the ground as James was going around him, just like Hubbard did.
    Yep I saw that, that was on Gronk's TD that more or less sealed the game. Had that call been made the Patriots are looking at 3rd and 17 and quite possibly end up settling for the fg. That would have left it a 7 point game.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    I saw it too. It's hard to understand sometimes. The pass interference that wasn't called on the deep ball was just insane. In the replay from the end zone, you can see the official backpedalling and looking right at the WR and the defender as he grabbed Hamilton's arm so he could only reach for the ball with one hand on a perfectly thrown ball. How is that not called? Absolutely mind numbing.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I saw it too. It's hard to understand sometimes. The pass interference that wasn't called on the deep ball was just insane. In the replay from the end zone, you can see the official backpedalling and looking right at the WR and the defender as he grabbed Hamilton's arm so he could only reach for the ball with one hand on a perfectly thrown ball. How is that not called? Absolutely mind numbing.
    Yea, I just don't know what to think of the officiating any more. It's just so bad league wide that the NFL should be embarrassed. I saw some real head scratchers as I was watching some of the early games.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Goats: the entire coaching staff, the soft as cotton balls defense save for Jarvis Jones, the O-line for numerous penalties, and Landry Jones for the momentum killing INT as well as the officials who were once again horrendous

My next goat is the injury report. Simply put we were outmanned. The Patriots had no listed injuries. Meanwhile virtually every unit of the Steelers was in some way compromised by injuries. Sometimes it's not an excuse, it's a reason.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Goat was Tomlin. Worst challenge I've ever seen in the first half. Say it didn't matter? If we had that time out at the end of the half we would have had a lot better play selection. The chances of scoring a TD there go up significantly with one more TO. Plus to try a 54 yard fg on 4th and 2 down by 11! Chicken shit call! Was the wrong call even if we get the fg there. If we don't get the first I'm fine. Just have some balls and try to keep that drive alive! That was the game there the moment he sent out the fg unit, no matter the result.
    This is EXACTLY what I am thinking, every word of it.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I don't know if Jones can be called a "goat," but he's just not good enough. And it was a big reason why we lost. The role of the backup QB isn't to do "pretty well for a backup" and still lose the game. So actually, I guess he is a goat.

The vanilla defense gets another goat. It really was just a matter of time before they had their way with us, and when you have no offense, that's not good enough. We're now 0-9 playing the sit-back against Brady. Hey, maybe if we do it again it'll work next time! The motto of our defensive coaches.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

My next goat is the injury report. Simply put we were outmanned. The Patriots had no listed injuries. Meanwhile virtually every unit of the Steelers was in some way compromised by injuries. Sometimes it's not an excuse, it's a reason.
    Yep.
    The best example:

1. AB hobbled/out
    2. Bryant suspended
    3. Coates injured/out
    4. Wheaton out

5. DHB is your top receiver.
    6. Hamilton is your second receiver.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Wasn't a great game for us, but considering the circumstances, we did just how I expected. I liked seeing a couple guys step up tonight. One being Hamilton and the other being the infamous Jarvis Jones. I thought he played with a lot of energy tonight and did some good things. Really ready to have Cam back, as well as Dupree. We desperately need him to have a major impact on this defense if we want to make a deep run in the playoffs.

If I were to give a game ball I'd give one on defense to Jarvis Jones. He played maybe the best game of his career. Was around the ball all day. On offense I would go with Ramon Foster. Really made his presence felt clearing the path for 26, and his pass blocking was flawless.

Senior Member Array title="awe1028 will become famous soon enough">

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    Without out a doubt, Le'Veon gets my game ball. Week in and week out, he shows how valuable of a player he is. I've never seen a running back with such patience, waiting for holes to open up. Also, he's a great receiver. I don't think I need to say anymore about him.

My Goats are quite a few. First one, Landry. Too many passes that were under thrown (two in the endzone which one led to an interception) or passes that were throw too wide. Poor clock management on his part. He did have a few nice passes including the 51 yard throw to Antonio and the throw to Hey-Bey for our first touchdown.

My second goat goes to the offensive line for their lack of discipline. There were several penalties they caused. It was very frustrating to see one too many holdings and false starts.

My third goat goes to the lack of a pass rush from the defense. There were times where they did get some pressure on Brady, but he mostly went untouched tonight.

My forth and final goat goes to Kris. I know he is a very reliable kicker, but missing 2 field goals didn't help.
    This. However lack of a pass rush should have been the first goat. Landry did not play well but we already know he is not very good therefore he played about as well as I expected so he is not a major goat for me

As long as we don't fix the pass rush this is going to continue to happen to us especially against teams with a good QB and even not so good QBs

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I'd give a game ball on Offense to Jones. He wasn't terrible. Sure he made a couple bad decisions he also made some really, really nice throws. I'd also give a ball to Jones on defense. He was lights out...easily best game of his career.

Goat goes to Golden. He was horrendous. Also the O-Line penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Game ball: Bell, Hamilton

Goat: Defense, Dumblin
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

No way Jones is a goat. Ben has played worse many times. If he plays as well for next couple games we might win them both.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Not as good as I expected, but it surely wasn't as bad as most predicted. I think Jones did ok for a back up, he had some bad balls but some good also. He the handles the ball very well on play action pass, too bad Hubbard got the holding call on the DHB TD. I said Boz would have to have a good game and he didn't. That called back TD and the missed FG's would have been the game. The O-line did a great job except for the penalties, Jones should have used his legs on some of the plays when the receivers were covered. I'm still not sold on Sammy Coates, he plays stiff, like a plank and his hands scare me. Coates would have never made the catches Cobi Hamilton made today, imo. I think the D did okay, they pressured Brady more then most teams since he returned, its too bad no one was able to clean his clock on his three running 1st down plays. If Jones plays against the Ravens, we get a win.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I don't know if Jones can be called a "goat," but he's just not good enough. And it was a big reason why we lost. The role of the backup QB isn't to do "pretty well for a backup" and still lose the game. So actually, I guess he is a goat.

The vanilla defense gets another goat. It really was just a matter of time before they had their way with us, and when you have no offense, that's not good enough. We're now 0-9 playing the sit-back against Brady. Hey, maybe if we do it again it'll work next time! The motto of our defensive coaches.
    But that isn't what they did at all. They schemed to take away the TEs and "made" the Pats take the underneath throw to Edelman/Amendola. Hogan didn't do a blessed thing. Gronk had two big plays. That is better than a lot of teams do. Bennett didn't do anything.

They didn't lose because of soft pass coverage. They lost because the offense couldn't convert 6 or 8 trips (I lost count) into Pats territory into TDs. They lost because for the second week in a row, the run defense had breakdowns at the point of attack. When Heyward goes out, it is just like it was with Aaron Smith - the run defense is suddenly very vulnerable.

If Bellicheck had schemed that hard to take away big plays to the Steelers all-world TEs that's all anyone would be talking about. The Steelers do it, except for 2-3 plays, and all anyone can say is that the defense was vanilla and soft.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I doubt anyone here expected a win , so with that in mind look at the bright side we didn't get completely embarrassed like I suspected would happen .

question is can we beat moonball joe in 2 weeks ?

back to back losses key injuries on both sides of the ball , I can not think of a better time for the bye week to land on us .

lets get healthy and rebound and ready to make a run