Thread: Big Ben's injury could be a blessing in disguise

Senior Member Array title="awe1028 will become famous soon enough">

Big Ben's injury could be a blessing in disguise

This defense has no pass rush and that is its problem Until it is addressed Pittsburgh defense will continue to be sub par. The problem is that most impact pass rushers are usually gone by the time the Steelers pick. That is why it was a huge mistake not to draft Spence. However the injury to Big Ben could be a blessing in disguise as long as it is not career threatening. With Ben missing time the Steelers could have a worse record than they normally would. This would give them a chance at impact pass rushers to which they normally would not have access

Imagine the impact someone like Miles Garrett (or some other impact pass rusher) could have on the defense. With Ben down maybe we will pick high enough to have access to someone like that. Hopefully, Colbert has learned his lesson and will address the pass rush in 2017 draft. Colbert can't use the excuse that he has already spent high picks on the pass rush. The bottom line is that the pass rush still needs to be addressed and he needs to keep addressing the pass rush until he gets it right. Then and only then will this defense be good enough to help Pittsburgh win a Superbowl

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Re: Big Ben's injury could be a blessing in disguise

I never saw any team wish for an injury to their starting QB to improve their chances of winning a Super Bowl. That's not how it works. You play with your best players to have the best chance to win.

This is a big loss.
    All Defense!

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

You really need to get off of your soapbox about Spence.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    You really need to get off of your soapbox about Spence.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

How could every single thread about any topic involving the Steelers turn into a "We should have drafted Spence" thread?

Member Array title="Skinart82 is an unknown quantity at this point">

Ben going down is NEVER a blessing, disguised or not!

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

You should tank the season only and only for a QB who is a sure thing. And such players come once or twice in a generation (see Elway, Manning, Luck still has to prove he belongs to that group). Not for a pass rusher, even if he is a second coming of LT. You have a special player in Ben and you have to pray to God he can play for at least three more seasons cause every injury shortens his career significantly. And when he's gone, all pass rushers of the world cant help us.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I read the OLB class was pretty deep this year, plus we probably were not going to pick higher than about no. 15 anyway. Plus another poster in a another thread posted about Noah spence's lack of production thus far

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

You're really reaching, TC.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    I never saw any team wish for an injury to their starting QB to improve their chances of winning a Super Bowl. That's not how it works. You play with your best players to have the best chance to win.

This is a big loss.
    I never said it was not a big loss and I also did not with for him to be injured. However the injury already happened. We have no control over the healing process.

I am simply saying that thought it is bleak losing Ben it could turn out to be a blessing in disguise for the team

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

worst post on the board this week

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    How could every single thread about any topic involving the Steelers turn into a "We should have drafted Spence" thread?
    The main point was not about Spence in particular but about the pass rush which is why I referred to the pass rushers of 2017. I am hoping Colbert will see fit to address the pass rush in 2017

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I really don't understand this thread.....and enough about Spence already. Maybe a mod could just delete this entire thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by awe1028 View Post
    The main point was not about Spence in particular but about the pass rush which is why I referred to the pass rushers of 2017. I am hoping Colbert will see fit to address the pass rush in 2017
    ........and how does that relate to Ben's injury being a blessing?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    especially when you take into consideration that so far this season Noah Spence has a total of only two tackles and one sack.

if we had drafted him and he had that lack of production everyone would be calling Spence a bust...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    especially when you take into consideration that so far this season Noah Spence has a total of only two tackles and one sack.

if we had drafted him and he had that lack of production everyone would be calling Spence a bust...

Of that there is no doubt.....

Senior Member Array title="Steelermania is a jewel in the rough">

Our secondary has been a disaster. We badly needed to address it, and we did. Burns will take some early lumps, it's a very difficult position to master. Ask any older poster about the time Paul Warfield burned Mel Blount to a cinder in his second year. He turned out ok didn't he. If we had drafted Spence, we might still be watching Blake try to play corner.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

You are right that the team needs to draft an OLB high in the draft next year, and I anticipate putting OLB as my no. 1 need in the offseason (I surely will not be alone), had you just made a post commenting on that, everyone would be on board. But you lose credibility by a. trying to make a connection between this topic and Ben's injury being a blessing and b. continuously pining for a player who has been unproductive thus far in his career

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

On a related topic...

Brandon Boykin should be starting.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelermania View Post
    If we had drafted Spence, we might still be watching Blake try to play corner.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post

This is a big loss.
    Yet the Steelers chose to play Blake last year and Jarvis Jones every year.
    Hater = Realist

Banned Array title="LloydWoodson is a glorious beacon of light">

Jason Gildon, Greg Lloyd, James Harrison, Joey Porter and Chad Brown
    were all second round picks or later.

The Steelers would have to lose every game for a chance to draft a Von Miller who went second- that will not happen regardless of the opinions of some.

Some high pick OLB busts that come to mind are Barkevious Mingo, Dion Jordan, Jarvis Jones, Gholston, arguably Aldon Smith who can't stay on the field, Bruce Irvin, Courtney Upshaw, Quinton Coples, and basically every other 1st round pass rusher that can't get 10 sacks on the 500 passing downs they see every year.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

You know what else is a blessing...

Mike Wallace.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    You know what else is a blessing...

Mike Wallace.

He was the greatest "decoy" ever. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

He was the greatest "decoy" ever. Ever.
    Mike Wallace really could have been great if the Steelers had only paid him to jump for balls in the air...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by awe1028 View Post
    This defense has no pass rush and that is its problem Until it is addressed Pittsburgh defense will continue to be sub par. The problem is that most impact pass rushers are usually gone by the time the Steelers pick. That is why it was a huge mistake not to draft Spence. However the injury to Big Ben could be a blessing in disguise as long as it is not career threatening. With Ben missing time the Steelers could have a worse record than they normally would. This would give them a chance at impact pass rushers to which they normally would not have access

Imagine the impact someone like Miles Garrett (or some other impact pass rusher) could have on the defense. With Ben down maybe we will pick high enough to have access to someone like that. Hopefully, Colbert has learned his lesson and will address the pass rush in 2017 draft. Colbert can't use the excuse that he has already spent high picks on the pass rush. The bottom line is that the pass rush still needs to be addressed and he needs to keep addressing the pass rush until he gets it right. Then and only then will this defense be good enough to help Pittsburgh win a Superbowl
    I was at the Rams game last season when Ben went down. This 'team' won games and made the playoffs anyway. I see where you are going with this thought, but it's not accurate at all. Relying on picks 1-10 to build your team is a losing proposition in every way. Either you're losing games to get the pick spot, which gets coaches fired, and thus no continuity in scheme, or philosophy, OR you are trading away future draft picks to put a lot of eggs into one player basket, which is still very much a gamble. On average, the Steelers have built thru the draft and won a super bowl every 6-7 years. We have never been about one player, this is a team first driven organization.