Thread: Tyler Matakevich Fills Up Stat Sheet In Fourth-Quarter Action

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Tyler Matakevich Fills Up Stat Sheet In Fourth-Quarter Action

If there is any solace for a certain sliver of the Pittsburgh Steelers’ fan base to be taken out of yesterday’s frustrating loss—exacerbated after the fact when we learned that Ben Roethlisberger would require surgery to repair a torn meniscus—there was, at least, a Dirty Red appearance for the Tyler Matakevich fan club to sink its teeth into.
    And even though he played well less than half of the game—I believe it was 18 snaps, or somewhere in that vicinity, perhaps a bit less than that—he still led the Steelers—both teams, in fact—in tackles, racking up eight total tackles in the fourth quarter plus one play, with six of them being of the solo variety and two coming as assists. He also recorded a tackle on special teams to give him nine in total.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/10...uarter-action/

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Tyler Matakevich Fills Up Stat Sheet In Fourth-Quarter Action

I hope he sees the field more

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I like the kid, but there is a significant dropoff between him and Vince Williams.

I counted that the Dolphins threw at least three passes directly at him (across the middle), because he could not cover.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

If all the tackles are 5+ yards downfield, who cares? 8 tackles, with 3 being "stops" looks to me like a guy who can play in the run game and can not play in the pass game. Don't know for sure - I stopped watching in the middle of the 4th quarter.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    If all the tackles are 5+ yards downfield, who cares? 8 tackles, with 3 being "stops" looks to me like a guy who can play in the run game and can not play in the pass game. Don't know for sure - I stopped watching in the middle of the 4th quarter.
    I call that the "Donnie Edwards Effect".

His tackle numbers were always high, but those tackles went from at the LOS, to 1 yard beyond... to 2 yards... to 5 yards...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

At least he is making tackles and not whiffing. He will get up to speed. Try to put him in context of being a rookie.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    At least he is making tackles and not whiffing. He will get up to speed. Try to put him in context of being a rookie.
    You got that right! I saw one play that Ajayi ran up the middle and I believe I counted 9 Steeler misses, not one of them wraping the guy up. Vince Williams was one of them and I don't think he's any faster than Red in coverage. Give this kid more playing time and let him coach the defense on how the tackle. There were some folks on this forum who never gave Big Al much of a chance either.
    Last edited by Shoes; 10-18-2016 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    You got that right! I saw one play that Ajayi ran up the middle and I believe I counted 9 Steeler misses, not one of them wraping the guy up. Vince Williams was one of them and I don't think he's any faster than Red in coverage. Give this kid more playing time and let him coach the defense on how the tackle. There were some folks on this forum who never gave Big Al much of a chance either.

Steelers Depot just put this out. The play I'm speaking of is the last gif

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/10...s-vs-dolphins/

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Don't get me wrong: I like the kid... and, much like Donnie Edwards (in his later years) at least he's making the tackles.

I'm just hoping that as he gets more experience, those tackles will start occurring closer to the LOS. And, that he gets better in coverage.

In other words, lump him in with Burns & Davis: I can see potential, but as of right now, mistakes are being made.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Unfortunately, he is short, light weight, slow and isn't very strong. That's tough to overcome if you want to be a good, consistent starting LB. If he could somehow increase his foot-speed it would go a long way. I can't see him gaining much more weight.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Unfortunately, he is short, light weight, slow and isn't very strong. That's tough to overcome if you want to be a good, consistent starting LB. If he could somehow increase his foot-speed it would go a long way. I can't see him gaining much more weight.
    6'1" 238#

Speed
    Dirty Red = 4.81
    Jarvis Jones = 4.92

Strength
    Dirty Red = 22 reps
    Jarvis Jones = 20 reps

Heart
    Dirty Red = 10
    Jarvis Jones = 2

Instinct
    Dirty Red = 10
    Jarvis Jones = 2

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    6'1" 238#

Speed
    Dirty Red = 4.81
    Jarvis Jones = 4.92

Strength
    Dirty Red = 22 reps
    Jarvis Jones = 20 reps

Heart
    Dirty Red = 10
    Jarvis Jones = 2

Instinct
    Dirty Red = 10
    Jarvis Jones = 2
    That's damning with faint praise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Is he the 2016 version of Jerry Olsavsky??

Lol............

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

never been a big fan of the " but half of the tackles where 5-6 yards downfield " logic

the way I see it is there is 11 guys on the field and a lot of potential reasons the guy got that far from the LOS if 1 guy is making all those tackles why is he not getting beat there by others long before that point in time .

if he is making the tackles that means 10 other guys are not , now if he is being drug or ran over and hangs on that long that is an entirely different argument and a valid one at that .

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Not sure I actually understand it.

Banned Array title="LloydWoodson is a glorious beacon of light">

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Not sure I actually understand it.
    He is saying that being compared to Jarvis Jones doesn't make Matakevich look good. It's like a backhanded compliment "Well Matakevich isn't the worst LB prospect the Steelers have had... remember Jarvis Jones?"

Quote Originally Posted by LloydWoodson View Post
    He is saying that being compared to Jarvis Jones doesn't make Matakevich look good. It's like a backhanded compliment "Well Matakevich isn't the worst LB prospect the Steelers have had... remember Jarvis Jones?"
    That's it. Also I was trying to be funny. Always good to make fun of Jarvis.