Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The dropoff from Roethlisberger to Landry Jones is steep

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: The dropoff from Roethlisberger to Landry Jones is steep

There was a time where the Steelers could have made a play for Nick Foles. Would have been a perfect back up quarterback.

I believe Mark Sanchez is still out there. If Jones falters, which alot expect him to do, would you be interested in signing Mark Sanchez?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    There was a time where the Steelers could have made a play for Nick Foles. Would have been a perfect back up quarterback.

I believe Mark Sanchez is still out there. If Jones falters, which alot expect him to do, would you be interested in signing Mark Sanchez?
    Booger Butt Fumble is on the Crygirls. Foles > Landry

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I would like the steelers to spend the time bens out seeing what they have in mettenberger. Of course knowing how tomlin likes to stick with players who play like absolute garbage, tomlin will probably stick with jones for the entire time Ben is out

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Booger Butt Fumble is on the Crygirls. Foles > Landry
    Awwww...that's right. I forgot about that...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I would like the steelers to spend the time bens out seeing what they have in mettenberger. Of course knowing how tomlin likes to stick with players who play like absolute garbage, tomlin will probably stick with jones for the entire time Ben is out
    Landry seems brittle. I doubt he makes it through 4-6 weeks.

Who is the emergency backup?

The dropoff from Roethlisberger to Landry Jones is steep

Good question. Old one retired...

Mike Vick is out there...lol

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Jones Plans On Being Cautiously Aggressive Sunday Against

By Dave Bryan October 19, 2016 at 12:38 pm

On Tuesday, Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin talked about how confident of a player quarterback Landry Jones is ahead of his third career start this coming Sunday against the New England Patriots. Wednesday morning, Jones exhibited that confidence when he addressed the entire team during a meeting.

“As he told us this morning, don’t panic,” said Steelers linebacker Arthur Moats, according to Teresa Varley of steelers.com.

Jones also indicated Wednesday morning that he’s not planning on playing too cautious Sunday against the Patriots.

“I think if you’re a backup in these types of situations, you can almost try to be too perfect and too careful,” said Jones. “One-time Coach (Mike) Tomlin said something along the lines of, ‘Gun fighters are going to get shot.’ For me, I have to go out there and cut it loose and play like that rather than trying to be too careful. Try to just go out there and take every check down that I can. Obviously, you have to play smart. But, you have to take what the defense gives you and try to be cautiously aggressive.”

Jones obviously faces a very daunting task on Sunday as the Patriots defense has played well over the course of the last four weeks and that has led to them allowing an average of just 11.5 points.

While Jones himself played well in relief of an injured Mike Vick in last year’s win over the Arizona Cardinals, he’s yet to put together a solid full-game performance and he’ll definitely need on Sunday at Heinz Field if the Steelers hope to upset the heavily favored Patriots at home.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/10...nday-patriots/

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Again, clarifying...

Are you referring to coaches or fans?
    Fans.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="WCSteeler is on a distinguished road">

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Yes, it would be stupid to draft a QB to sit behind anyone. Either you're ready to make him the starter in a year or you skip it.

Why? Pretty much THE single biggest advantage you can have in the NFL is a decent quarterback who's not yet making $20 million a year. That lets you build up (or retain) the talent around him - think two or three additional Pro Bowl level players. Draft a guy now, and by the time he's ready to start, at best you've thrown away that advantage. At worst, you've also got a quarterback controversy and have to push the old one out the door a couple years too early.

Nobody ever became a star QB by sitting on the bench. Either you get it or you don't. So no point in farting around hoping the new guy might be the replacement with 4 years of "omg is he or isn't he."

To back up your franchise QB, you sign a veteran for a low amount. Which is pretty much what we've been doing, except somehow we always manage to pick the ones who get injured themselves every time there's a slight breeze.
    No one? Ever heard of Aaron Rodgers!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Fans.
    So, are you saying that Steelers fans should be making excuses for Landry Jones???

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

jones gets 2 games tops before the other berger takes over.

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Matt Flynn would be a huge step up from Landry. If he can't lead a couple of decent drives by halftime I would hope Metteberger would at least get a shot.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I'm really hoping Jones gets some random little thing like a jammed finger that keeps him from being the #1 QB this weekend. Give Mettenberger a shot, literally no matter how badly he plays I will not be mad because at least we tried. With Jones we KNOW we are 99% guaranteed to end in failure. Even if we get a defensive TD and a special teams TD, we will still be lucky to break 17 points.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by WCSteeler View Post
    It would be stupid to draft a QB to sit behind a 34 year old, 13 season, often injured QB? So draft 4 more Linebackers? It's time
    I could be wrong (I'm married, so I often am), but I think LloydWoodson was referring to the low-round drafting of QBs and trying to develop them as backups, not a decent mid rounder that might have the chance of being a legitimate starter someday.

Quote Originally Posted by WCSteeler View Post
    No one? Ever heard of Aaron Rodgers!
    Rodgers wasn't drafted in the era of mandated contract lengths where you must designate whether you want to keep your 1st round pick for a fifth year, after your third season, potentially throwing away millions of dollars and salary cap room (depending on bonuses and escalators, which can still be written into a rookie's contract).

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMayhem72 View Post
    just read ben is out for 4-6 weeks...season over!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    So then you are done watching the Steelers until next season?
    Hater = Realist

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    So, are you saying that Steelers fans should be making excuses for Landry Jones???
    They made excuses for Kordell the Idiot. So why not make the same excuses for a better QB? Let's blame any bad performances on weather, coaching, OC, personal problems, racism, luck, injuries, defense, running game etc...

I am still wondering where all of the Kordell lovers wandered off to. Haha
    Hater = Realist

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

The dropoff from Roethlisberger to Landry Jones is steep

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I think LJ goes out and throws for 275, 2 TDs and 1 INT. If we can keep Gronk out of the end zone, we win.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I think LJ goes out and throws for 275, 2 TDs and 1 INT. If we can keep Gronk out of the end zone, we win.
    Keeping Gronk out will just translate to Bennett being in.

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    So then you are done watching the Steelers until next season?
    Of course not...i still root for my team with much lowered or no expectations

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk