Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The dropoff from Roethlisberger to Landry Jones is steep

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

The dropoff from Roethlisberger to Landry Jones is steep

The Pittsburgh Steelers will be without starting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger for Week 7 versus the New England Patriots.

Roethlisberger will undergo surgery to "trim" a torn meniscus in his left knee, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported, via a source informed of the situation. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette first reported the news of Roethlisberger's injury.

The 34-year-old signal-caller played through pain in the second half of Sunday's loss to the Miami Dolphins after missing the majority of the second quarter with the injury. Roethlisberger described his knee as "black and blue" after the game, per NFL Media's Aditi Kinkhabwala.....

Read more @ http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...s-in-left-knee

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: The dropoff from Roethlisberger to Landry Jones is steep

Three toughest games in a row. Cheats**/Bye/@Ratbirds/Crygirls.

Could not have come at a worse time.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Three toughest games in a row. Cheats**/Bye/@Ratbirds/Crygirls.

Could not have come at a worse time.

At least there's a bye in there.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    At least there's a bye in there.
    Sure, bye bye season!

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Why aren't people making excuses for Landry Jones like they did for Kordell?
    Hater = Realist

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Called it...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Landry is hot garbage. He shouldn't even be on an NFL roster.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="WCSteeler is on a distinguished road">

This might turn out to benefit the Steelers in the long run. Ben is 34, in his 12th season and has suffered far more injuries over his career than any active NFL QB yet the Steelers have neglected the backup QB position (rebuilding this defense had to have come first). It's time the Steelers really start looking at a QB to groom for the future and this should be a wakeup call to the organization that maybe drafting 4 more Linebackers isn't the best corse of action. The Steelers have plenty of time to watch and determine who is a good fit and available in the upcoming draft class and I'm not talking about 3rd or 4th round pick either. Ben's career is not over but his lengthy injury history will not allow his to play for many more seasons and the Steelers/fan base need to come to grips with the fact that players get old (NFL old that is)

Banned Array title="LloydWoodson is a glorious beacon of light">

There are decent free agent options out there. Batch and Leftwich were good pick ups. So was Vick (I don't care what you think on the subject).

Steelers are in win now mode. Draft talent to help Ben win one more maybe two more if the defense improves.

What is stupid is throwing away draft picks on the Landry Jones and Dennis Dixons.

Find a Charlie Batch that can go .500 or better when Ben goes down. If a backup is playing in the playoffs it is over. Need a regular season QB who can steal a game or two nothing more.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    It's been 14 years...

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    It's been 14 years...
    The same absurd excuses can be used in 2016. Or they could tweak some Jarvis Jones excuses.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LloydWoodson View Post
    There are decent free agent options out there. Batch and Leftwich were good pick ups. So was Vick (I don't care what you think on the subject).

Steelers are in win now mode. Draft talent to help Ben win one more maybe two more if the defense improves.

What is stupid is throwing away draft picks on the Landry Jones and Dennis Dixons.

Find a Charlie Batch that can go .500 or better when Ben goes down. If a backup is playing in the playoffs it is over. Need a regular season QB who can steal a game or two nothing more.
    Batch couldn't throw past 5 yards. Leftwich? He wasn't good either. I don't think there are any QBs available on the FA market that would be an upgrade.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Steelermania is a jewel in the rough">

You've got to be kidding. Kordell was a Hall Of Famer compared to Landry Jones. If we had the 2000-2001 Kordell as a backup, I'd feel much better than I do with Landry in the role.

Finding qbs is just the hardest thing. Cleveland has burned countless first round picks, and can't even find a Flacco type. Yet Dallas drafts a guy who was on no ones radar, and he's looking like the next star qb. The Steelers picked up Gradkowski, but he's more injury prone than Batch. The Steelers never draft high enough to get a guy who is close to a sure thing. The veteran qbs who might actually be good for a game or two won't come here. They'd rather go to a Cleveland, or Chicago, where they might have a chance to start.

Senior Member Array title="WCSteeler is on a distinguished road">

Quote Originally Posted by LloydWoodson View Post

It would be stupid to draft a QB to sit behind a 34 year old, 13 season, often injured QB? So draft 4 more Linebackers? It's time

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WCSteeler View Post
    It would be stupid to draft a QB to sit behind a 34 year old, 13 season, often injured QB? So draft 4 more Linebackers? It's time
    Yes, it would be stupid to draft a QB to sit behind anyone. Either you're ready to make him the starter in a year or you skip it.

Why? Pretty much THE single biggest advantage you can have in the NFL is a decent quarterback who's not yet making $20 million a year. That lets you build up (or retain) the talent around him - think two or three additional Pro Bowl level players. Draft a guy now, and by the time he's ready to start, at best you've thrown away that advantage. At worst, you've also got a quarterback controversy and have to push the old one out the door a couple years too early.

Nobody ever became a star QB by sitting on the bench. Either you get it or you don't. So no point in farting around hoping the new guy might be the replacement with 4 years of "omg is he or isn't he."

To back up your franchise QB, you sign a veteran for a low amount. Which is pretty much what we've been doing, except somehow we always manage to pick the ones who get injured themselves every time there's a slight breeze.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Method28 is a name known to all">

I would honestly like to see what Mettenberger could do. This team doesnt need a great QB to win. I feel we just need a QB who can make some throws from time to time and give our skill position players a chance to do damage. If thats on a screen, post pattern, drag route or go route. A guy like Leftwich, Mettenberger etc is that they have the tools to make all of those throws.

They havent put it together and will make mistakes, but this team can lean on Bell/Williams and just put the ball in Brown and Coates hands from time to time.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

These backup QBs are all Cowher's players!

- - - Updated - - -

------------------------

The bottom line is that HOPE is not a strategy. Hoping that Ben stays healthy for 16 games is not panning out. For this team to win 10-12 games a year and be a contender, there should be a plan B to cover up to 4 games (more than 4 and the season's over anyway).

We need to get lucky on a 4th-5th rounder or find an aging backup who can game manage (e.g., like a Hasslebeck).

That said, I have not forgotten how LJ came through once or twice last year. Maybe he has one more. I'm not as down on him as some here. There are plenty of terrible backup QBs in this league.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

They had a very good back up QB in 2012 and they let him go.

If they had Hoyer today, they would be very solid at that position...the opted to keep two handicapped QBs instead...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The same absurd excuses can be used in 2016. Or they could tweak some Jarvis Jones excuses.
    I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm really not getting it...

Let me try again:
    We all know that did not/do not like Kordell. But, it has been 14 years. Thus... I'm not sure why you're bringing him up.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

For all that feel that Landry Jones is "excused" - I ask what in the blue hell else are the coaches supposed to say?

"Well, frankly he's garbage and we have absolutely no faith that he can run the offense - but we are kinda stuck here. Someone has to play QB. So he's our guy."

Other than Hoyer, its not like anyone else they have brought in has lit it up. Gradkowski's body disintegrated. Mike Vick was well past his sell by date. Tried a couple of waiver wire/UDFA dart throws that couldn't even make it through camp. And now there is Mettenberger.

Really, looking at the starting QB, let alone back-up QB situation across the league, there isn't much else they could do. They could've drafted Dak Prescott. It seems they gave it serious thought. Most of this message board freaked out at the idea of "Wasting" a 3rd or 4th round pick on a "raw passing prospect".

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Like, the only reason Landry Jones is still on this team is because his wife is like, BFF's, with Big Bens sister, omg.

They like, played basketball together at Oklahoma. Okay?

Did you really think they see any potential in him?

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    They had a very good back up QB in 2012 and they let him go.

If they had Hoyer today, they would be very solid at that position...the opted to keep two handicapped QBs instead...
    I said the same thing. I wanted him .....as a backup...not the heir to Ben.

Laundry is gone after this year as a UFA.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelermania View Post
    You've got to be kidding. Kordell was a Hall Of Famer compared to Landry Jones. If we had the 2000-2001 Kordell as a backup, I'd feel much better than I do with Landry in the role.

Finding qbs is just the hardest thing. Cleveland has burned countless first round picks, and can't even find a Flacco type. Yet Dallas drafts a guy who was on no ones radar, and he's looking like the next star qb. The Steelers picked up Gradkowski, but he's more injury prone than Batch. The Steelers never draft high enough to get a guy who is close to a sure thing. The veteran qbs who might actually be good for a game or two won't come here. They'd rather go to a Cleveland, or Chicago, where they might have a chance to start.
    You must have never seen Kordell play. The bum was given a number 1 defense and running game, but still struggled again and again. I would take Jones over Kordell every time. Kordell was nothing more than WR, and a good one at that.

BR put up 3 points against the Eagles. Patriots are a better team than the Eagles.
    Hater = Realist

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm really not getting it...

Let me try again:
    We all know that did not/do not like Kordell. But, it has been 14 years. Thus... I'm not sure why you're bringing him up.
    Simple. Jones is a QB. Why don't the same excuses apply for him as they did for the idiot? 14 years ago is irrelevant.
    Hater = Realist

Simple. Jones is a QB. Why don't the same excuses apply for him as they did for the idiot? 14 years ago is irrelevant.
    Again, clarifying...

Are you referring to coaches or fans?

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

You must have never seen Kordell play. The bum was given a number 1 defense and running game, but still struggled again and again.

Bottom line: Stewart cost us 2 SB trips. Yeah, you could argue STs for the 2nd one, but he was given two golden opportunities in the last 6 minutes of the game trailing 24-17 and threw two picks to kill both of them.

Thankfully, the Bus finally got a ring at the end of his career because his prime was pretty much wasted due to Stewart's ineptitude as a QB.

Do people honestly forget how bad Stewart was under center?

Kordell was nothing more than WR, and a good one at that.
    I miss Slash. He was one of the most fun players to watch...

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

just read ben is out for 4-6 weeks...season over!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

Just read it on bleacher report

im fucking pissed...i figured if it was an actual torn miniscus it was gonna be more than 1-2 weeks like they were saying...well its 4-6 weeks

Once again, the teams lack of depth is potentially showing its ugly face. Aside from WR, the depth on this team is pretty terrible.

Once again, we will see how good or bad this coaching staff is...