Thread: Another Season In Danger of Circling the Drain

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Another Season In Danger of Circling the Drain

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/...roethlisberger

Roethlisberger has a torn meniscus and needs surgery. Best case 2 weeks - worst case -- who knows.

Jones or Mettenberger goes against the Pats. That'll be pretty.

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

Re: Another Season In Danger of Circling the Drain

i knew it...feared something was torn cause you can still walk on some tears...hind site 20/20 should have kept him out 2nd half

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

id rather see mettenberger

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMayhem72 View Post
    i knew it...feared something was torn cause you can still walk on some tears...hind site 20/20 should have kept him out 2nd half

Naa, once it's torn, it's torn pretty much. He didn't injure it any more, so . . . I know when I had mine done, it took my almost a year to feel like it was fully functional again, but I also didn't have top notch surgeons, trainers, etc. etc. trying to get me back to playing strength either.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Ben will play next week. Hurt or not.

I think we learned from last year that we can't take any chances on Landry whatsoever.

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

Mettenberger is a starter, Jones is not.
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post

I think we learned from last year that we can't take any chances on Landry whatsoever.
    Ben will definitely not play against the pats

1-3 week time frame

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    no he won't. I tore my meniscus before playing soccer and trust me, it will be at least until after the bye week that Ben plays again.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

That's why we only have 6 and some teams have zero.

Senior Member Array title="WCSteeler is on a distinguished road">

Ben is injured every season it's not a question of if it's when. I hope the Steelers address the QB position early in the upcoming draft

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

id rather see mettenberger

I would too. He's been on the roster long enough and is an experienced NFL QB. At least he might give us a chance. We have no chance with Landry.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Dissolv is a splendid one to behold"> Dissolv's Avatar

I hate to say it, but I am definitely moving to the "uh oh, gloom and doom" camp. No Ben means no win against the Pats in all likelyhood, then a return from injury loss is likely as well. There is most definitely *something* going on with both lines, and add the injuries, and the wildly inconsistent play to get what looks like the start of a very rough patch of games. It is all adding up to us being a 50/50 team by the mid-point, which is not where I wanted them to be, for once.

That said, there is a lot of football left to play, and the critical games are going to be within the division, which thankfully looks weak for once. So assuming that they clinch the division, will they be able to get healthy and get consistent by playoff time? That's the question.

I guess not too "gloom and doom" as I still have them winning the division and going to the playoffs, but definitely a serious worry level increase.

Dissolv

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

This is why it REALLY helps to start 4-2 rather than 2-4. Losing a couple games now, we can come back from. Losing a couple games after a bad start puts you at 2-6 or 3-7 and it's gg wp, see you next season.

As for next week, I'd rather see Mettenberger over Jones and it's not even close. Obviously neither one is a top-shelf QB, but Mettenberger has at least shown he's capable of pulling out a random decent game sometimes, and doesn't look like a deer in the headlights. Whereas we know Jones is always finding new ways to suck a shit.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Ben will probably be gone for a month. So if Landry can go 2-2 that will put them at 6-4. They will most likely have to battle for a Wild Card spot at that point or best case an 11-5 record.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Dissolv is a splendid one to behold"> Dissolv's Avatar

That's the thing, right now our team is built around a "high powered" offense. And when it is rolling, it really rolls. That's great, and where the majority of our wins come from. Nothing wrong with that set up per se. But with Landry in there, can we really go 2-2? And are we good enough to turn it on and run the table if he goes 0-4?

No matter how you look at it, this is the part of the season that is going to define us. Tough, gritty battlers who scrape out hard fought wins, or a team entirely dependent on having 3-4 superstars carry them to wins each and every week. It's gonna be some tough watching, either way. I'm willing to root for Landry for four games though.

Dissolv

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Ben will probably be gone for a month. So if Landry can go 2-2 that will put them at 6-4. They will most likely have to battle for a Wild Card spot at that point or best case an 11-5 record.
    AFC North is down this year. I think 10-6 wins the division going away.

i posted this on another thread but something doesnt smell right with ben's knee...isnt a "clean out" something that can wait till the season is over?? Im doubting the torn miniscus diagnosis...im thinking he already had that...im not a dr. but something smells fishy

lol...smells fishy...realized what i said

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

i posted this on another thread but something doesnt smell right with ben's knee...isnt a "clean out" something that can wait till the season is over?? Im doubting the torn miniscus diagnosis...im thinking he already had that...im not a dr. but something smells fishy

I had 3 surgeries on mine plus a cleaned up. The cleanup did give me more range of motion which is probably what they are after with Ben. He can get the repair in the off season.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Ben took too many hits early in his career. Now we are seeing his body breakdown into hamburger. It happens. Steelers need to see what they have in Mettenberger and draft a QB next.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Ben took too many hits early in his career. Now we are seeing his body breakdown into hamburger. It happens. Steelers need to see what they have in Mettenberger and draft a QB next.
    I seriously doubt that an extra what, 10-15 sacks a year more than the league average over the first decade makes the difference between being healthy and not healthy. That's a couple hundred collisions out of maybe 50,000 or more that you are involved in over a typical career that includes youth sports, practices, etc.

Your body breaking down is things like how aging defensive linemen end up with a torn pectoral muscle and then a torn tricep or rotator cuff in back-to-back years, and then they're done. This is not it.

No, the problem is more like Ben took too many awkward hits to the leg in the last two seasons.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The man has a torn meniscus, and is having outpatient surgery to 'clean up' the tear. Not a season ending injury by any means. BB is still what this team runs on and all the gloom and doom talk is just silly at best. The season is not over at all. This is a 'marathon', not a 'sprint', remember.

Senior Member Array title="slippy will become famous soon enough"> slippy's Avatar

this steeler team is built like the 2004-2010 colts. shazier is our bob sanders.

I'll be the first one to come back in here and say i was wrong but i just dont see it happening for us this year...its gonna play out just like last year with one or all of the killer b's being hurt toward the end of the year and or possible playoffs...same script diff year...hope im dead wrong but my gut tells me this.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    The man has a torn meniscus, and is having outpatient surgery to 'clean up' the tear. Not a season ending injury by any means. BB is still what this team runs on and all the gloom and doom talk is just silly at best. The season is not over at all. This is a 'marathon', not a 'sprint', remember.
    i dont think his meniscus was torn at all...i think they just "cleaned up"...something that should have been done in the off season just like this past off season with his ankle i believe.

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I seriously doubt that an extra what, 10-15 sacks a year more than the league average over the first decade makes the difference between being healthy and not healthy. That's a couple hundred collisions out of maybe 50,000 or more that you are involved in over a typical career that includes youth sports, practices, etc.

Your body breaking down is things like how aging defensive linemen end up with a torn pectoral muscle and then a torn tricep or rotator cuff in back-to-back years, and then they're done. This is not it.

No, the problem is more like Ben took too many awkward hits to the leg in the last two seasons.
    I'd go even further than that. The problem is he got an awkward hit in Miami. But, in general, I have to agree with you. This isn't a cumulative thing unless he had a slight tear before and no one realized it. Even so, that's usually a 1+1 type thing, not 6 years of hits.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Ben had the same procedure (torn meniscus) done in June 2013 as well as in 2005 during the season. I think it was his right knee in the previous years.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...njury-steelers