Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFL ratings continue to dip.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

NFL ratings continue to dip.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...gs-down-again/

Good news to me. Hope they keep dropping. Goodell's arrogance needs to be paid.

The NFL was walking a slippery slope for years with this bum with a lockout, arbitrary legislation, shitty rules, and incompetent officiating, but it looks like this year was finally the straw that broke the camels back.

Peyton's retirement, on top of social justice politics seeping into NFL news where it doesn't belong, people are just getting tired of it.

I will forever love my Steelers, but fuck GoodeNFL.

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: NFL ratings continue to dip.

Other than checking out the scores of the Steelers games on my phone, I haven't given a damn about anything NFL related this season. The protesting shit was the final straw for me.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The NFL should really step in and tell these guys to stop with the protesting bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

I agree about the protesting. WTF do they think they are anyway?

The NFL is hitting the wall in a self-inflicted manner much like MLB did in the 1990s, but theirs was a strike. With all of the dumb rules, poor refs and egotistical displays in many formats the NFL is turning into MSNBC, barely watchable.
    All Defense!

Banned Array title="LloydWoodson is a glorious beacon of light">

I think people underestimate just how much influence shows on ESPN/other networks and commentators in general have on our appreciation of the game. So many people hate an announcer and will mute them. I can't stand Phil Simms for example. He basically ruins any game. I will mute him and put on radio.

The same thing happens now regarding the SJW BS. The media that is the filter through which we experience the NFL is tainted with this Kaepernick BS. First Take won't shut up about it and neither will ESPN in general. Shannon Sharpe on Undisputed compared Kaepernick to MLK Jr!

It's a huge turn off to watch a multi millionaire athlete like Kaepernick who was raised white, is half white, who had "white privilege" complain about police brutality he has never and will never experience. On top of that he wears socks with police as pigs but Dallas can't honor 5 fallen officers? The NFL is becoming way too political. It's undermining the game. Not to mention Goodell doesn't realize the vast majority of NFL fans are against sitting for the anthem. Don't believe the mainstream media and their obsession with creating false narratives by only displaying the vocal minority while ignoring the silent majority.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The NFL put a memo out today that teams are not allowed to use GIFs on social media during the games...lol.

I find it so hard to believe that the NFL just doesn't get it...but I also believe it.

I think what's hurt the NFL worse than any of these things is their 1950s mentality when it comes to broadcasting and fanbases. Not making games available online or in other markets, blacking out games in markets with other teams, etc., is absolutely ignorant in a society so mobile as ours. The years I lived in the San Francisco bay area the first time, I almost completely lost any care about watching football, even the Steelers, because you could only get two games on a Sunday, the Raiders and the 49rs. Nevermind that you probably had tens, if not hundreds of thousands of people living within the broadcast area for those two teams that were transplants and would never, ever, root or care about either team. Then, their one strike into modernity? Give a full-game package to the worst satellite TV company and let them charge an outrageous amount for the games—a quarter to a third of which I ended up watching on Sunday, Monday, or Thursday nights anyway, which made the package even more expensive when broken down by game watchable only on Satellite.

No, if they want rating to improve, then open the markets back up for other games, push them online for the cost of the NFL Rewind package they now have, and stop milking every last cent from every single event. Speaking of which, also make make a football game something that people look forward too, regardless of whose playing. This three different timeslots on Sunday, plus Monday, plus thursday saturates the overall market so that people just don't care.

/rant

It's all about the advertising dollar. They want all of their content exclusively in one place so that the fans have to watch the commercials, have to increase the ratings to make more ad dollars. The NFL doesn't care about its fans or players. I'm still shocked that they have the redzone channel on game days. Commercial free live highlights? They lose viewers to the full,games that way...makes no sense...but then again, it is consistent with the inconsistencies of the league. I've never hated Roger Goodell more than I do this season. I mean fining Brown for his celebrations and not fining other players FOR THE EXACT SAME CELEBRATION?? If I were Brown I would appeal the twerking fine, if that didn't work, I'd take them to court...

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    It's all about the advertising dollar. They want all of their content exclusively in one place so that the fans have to watch the commercials, have to increase the ratings to make more ad dollars. The NFL doesn't care about its fans or players. I'm still shocked that they have the redzone channel on game days. Commercial free live highlights? They lose viewers to the full,games that way...makes no sense...but then again, it is consistent with the inconsistencies of the league. I've never hated Roger Goodell more than I do this season. I mean fining Brown for his celebrations and not fining other players FOR THE EXACT SAME CELEBRATION?? If I were Brown I would appeal the twerking fine, if that didn't work, I'd take them to court...
    I agree. I don't like AB's TD twerking but these ridiculous penalties and subsequent fines are just way too much. Add in the inconsistencies of different players not getting flagged or fined for the same damn thing and it just pisses me off. I cancelled my DirecTV this year and am mostly only watching the Steelers. I've always been a huge NFL fan, not just a Steelers fan but the NFL has ruined my entertainment.

I didn't watch the game last night. No desire at all to see it. I did catch some of the highlights this morning and saw that the officials threw a flag on Carlos Hyde for flexing after a couple of Cardinal defenders were shit talking him after he ran them over. That's just stupid. If he's "taunting" them by flexing, then why isn't it considered "taunting" when they get up in his face and talk shit? This whole league is turning into an embarrassment.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

It really is turning into an embarrassment and the people that can make it better just keep making it worse. I don't even mind that they penalize AB and fine him but do the same to Emmanuel Sanders.

I'm surprised the media doesn't make a big deal of the inconsistencies. I mean there's a huge story here and no one in the media wants to grab the ball and run with it. They're more worried about Beckham pouting in the sideline...

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

lol. Bullshit. I like how they can protest or show support for something but if some players try to do it, they ST told not to or fined. AB should've been fined for his Palmer cleats but was given permission. When other players ask, they get denied or threats...lol.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

So how does the league justify fining one for using the ball as a prop and not fining another who kicked the ball. Was kicking a ball not using it as a prop. The fine system is totally broken. I'm so tired of goodell and his minions

Blake Bortles not fined for post-TD punt

Posted by Josh Alper on October 7, 2016, 4:36 PM EDT
    Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles (5) kicks the ball away as he celebrates scoring a touchdown during the second quarter of an NFL football game against Indianapolis Colts at Wembley stadium in London, Sunday Oct. 2, 2016. (AP Photo/Tim Ireland)
    AP
    The Jaguars won their first game of the season last Sunday when they outlasted the Colts in London thanks, in part, to a touchdown run by quarterback Blake Bortles.

Bortles celebrated that touchdown by doing his best impersonation of the soccer goalies that play at Wembley Stadium more frequently and punting the ball in the general direction of the crowd. That play was not penalized for excessive celebration and PFT has confirmed with the league that Bortles also wasn’t fined.

The reason for the lack of a fine appears is that Bortles’ boot didn’t actually reach the stands and therefore avoided punishment from the league as a result.

Jaguars wide receiver Allen Robinson also avoided a fine after being penalized by taunting for spinning the ball after Colts linebacker D’Qwell Jackson hit him with a helmet-to-helmet hit. Jackson was penalized, but also wasn’t fined.

Share this:
    Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)Click to email (Opens in new window)
    Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Back to top
    Terrelle Pryor fined for LeBron celebration

Posted by Zac Jackson on October 7, 2016, 4:32 PM EDT
    LANDOVER, MD - OCTOBER 2: Wide receiver Terrelle Pryor #11 of the Cleveland Browns celebrates with teammate tight end Randall Telfer #86 after scoring a second quarter touchdown against the Washington Redskins at FedExField on October 2, 2016 in Landover, Maryland. (Photo by Patrick Smith/Getty Images)
    Getty Images
    Browns wide receiver Terrelle Pryor was fined $9,115 for using the ball as a prop while celebrating a touchdown last week at Washington, PFT has learned.

Pryor went with the LeBron James faux-chalk toss celebration after his first career receiving touchdown. He was penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Pryor said Thursday he would appeal if he was fined.
    Merry Christmas

Over seas the fines and currency are different.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Until the NFL comes out of the stone age and starts offering ways to view these games via streaming, the ratings are going to continue to go down. There are too many people, like me, who have cut the cord and have no way to view channels like ESPN and NFL Network outside of illegal streams.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-crater-again/

More Ratings drops.

The NFL needs to hit rock bottom.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

B-b-b-b-bb--b-b-b-b-b-but the fans want an 18 game season...........

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Good. The worse the ratings get, the more tenuous Goodell's job security becomes.

What the NFL fails to realize is that they've created a game that caters to the fantasy football fans and those fans don't care about whether or not a team wins. They only care about how many points their specific players score. They're not interested in following a specific team or watching the game when they can simply follow the scores on the internet.
    Last edited by SteelerFanInStl; 10-21-2016 at 04:06 PM.

Thursday, Sunday AM, Sunday, Sunday Night, Monday Night...spreading it too thin.

Nobody is forcing us to watch the games. I listen to more radio than watch tv and I used to love tv.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Thursday, Sunday AM, Sunday, Sunday Night, Monday Night...spreading it too thin.
    That's a good point. Plus, who watches Thurs if your team isn't playing? Low ratings for that night alone will bring down the overall football watched ratings. I, personally do not watch Mon or Thurs because I'm still at work until 8 at the earliest. By the time I drive home, eat, just don't care at that point.

I watch most of them and Thursday's games are watered down...it's definitely a lesser product.

Last nights game was one of the worst ever. The NFL just doesn't learn as two other Titans/Jags games are the worst ever...

Jacksonville, Tennessee, Tampa, St. Louis...people don't care about these teams. Those mentioned teams should NEVER see the "light" of Prime Time.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Sad. I didn't even know who played and didn't even care.

We have come a long way from the days when we'd all be talking about football esp. in primetime.

B-b-b-b-b-b--b-but the fans want 18 games...sheddup already and GTFO office. NOW!

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Years ago, when the Steelers would have a bye week, I'd still watch every game I could.

Now?

Do.

Not.

Care.

Cleaning the house today instead.

I got my tires rotated at Goodyear this morning and watching the last 7 minutes of the Skins Bungles tie in London. Two hapless defenses. The refs saved the Bungles with a bad O PI call pushing the Skins out of FG range in the last 2 minutes. Birthdefect almost singlehandedly lost the game if not saved by the refs and a bad K.
    All Defense!

So, the Iggles-Crygirls game lost out in the ratings to the World Series. That's actually a surprise.

I get the historical significance of the Cubs-Indians but baseball never loses to football.