Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TPOP: Revisiting the 2014 NFL Draft

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: TPOP: Revisiting the 2014 NFL Draft

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I totally get what you are saying. Bucannon is a star, and Williams is a starter worthy player. While they may be better now, and I'm still not convinced of that, I project the possibility of higher level play by Shazier and Davis before this season ends....and carries on for years.

The quest for #7 is underway, and I expect a very deep run this year withthe ultimate goal being attainable.

We'll see it unfold together and keep discussing this as we go.
    In my heart of hearts, I hope that you are right (and I am wrong).

Seriously.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I am thinking or hoping that between Shazier and Davis, we will have our RB out of the BF and athletic TE issue resolved. Davis is a good tackler and cover guy. Shazier is fast enough to stay with WR's. Get their skills up a little with some experience and add in Burns, Gilbert, Golson and Mitchell + our DL and we are 1 OLB (I think Dupree will be very good) away from a top 5 def. I understand the Williams/Bucannon argument, but I guess I like the ceiling better than the availability. That said, we have Williams, so having Timmons/Williams, Shazier and Davis is better than most teams looking into the future. I am excited for the next couple years (what I think our SB window is) where will have a legit chance of multiple rings.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    In my heart of hearts, I hope that you are right (and I am wrong).

Seriously.

There is no doubt we are both hoping for the same outcome!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I'm not sure where to put this...

The Steelers trade their R5 pick in the 2016 draft for Brandon Boykin. In that draft, the Steelers were very interested in hybrid ILB/SS Jatavis Brown. But, they did not have a R5 pick; so, they had to wait until R6. At the end of R5, Brown goes to the Chargers. About round later, the Steelers take a similar player: Travis Freeney.

Last night, Jatavis Brown had a sack and a forced fumble on back-to-back plays (plus, he is generally around the ball quite a bit). Whereas, Freeney... well... hmmm.

I know now hindsight is 20/20, but it sucks that a player that the Steelers had targeted turns out to be a gem (and the guy second on the list sucks). It reminds me of the year that Cowher wanted to draft Devin Hester, but had to settle for the second-best kick-returner: Willie Reid.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I'm not sure where to put this...

The Steelers trade their R5 pick in the 2016 draft for Brandon Boykin. In that draft, the Steelers were very interested in hybrid ILB/SS Jatavis Brown. But, they did not have a R5 pick; so, they had to wait until R6. At the end of R5, Brown goes to the Chargers. About round later, the Steelers take a similar player: Travis Freeney.

Last night, Jatavis Brown had a sack and a forced fumble on back-to-back plays (plus, he is generally around the ball quite a bit). Whereas, Freeney... well... hmmm.

I know now hindsight is 20/20, but it sucks that a player that the Steelers had targeted turns out to be a gem (and the guy second on the list sucks). It reminds me of the year that Cowher wanted to draft Devin Hester, but had to settle for the second-best kick-returner: Willie Reid.
    Are we sure that Freeney sucks? Or is it more that his injury made it hard for him to "get on a moving train" or whatever Tomlinism you prefer? But, yeah I get where you are going! Boykin. Man that just was a weird thing all the way around. Anyone else think there was a health issue for far longer than we knew? I mean Boykin denied it, then went on IR...

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Are we sure that Freeney sucks? Or is it more that his injury made it hard for him to "get on a moving train" or whatever Tomlinism you prefer? But, yeah I get where you are going! Boykin. Man that just was a weird thing all the way around. Anyone else think there was a health issue for far longer than we knew? I mean Boykin denied it, then went on IR...
    First of all, Boykin was the love child of Rod Woodson and Deion Sanders. If he had only been allowed to start, the Steelers not only would have won the SuperBowl, they would have cured cancer.

Joking and hyperbole aside, the weirdness of that situation was the initial cut... and watching Jatavis Brown last night was the salt.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

First of all, Boykin was the love child of Rod Woodson and Deion Sanders. If he had only been allowed to start, the Steelers not only would have won the SuperBowl, they would have cured cancer.

Joking and hyperbole aside, the weirdness of that situation was the initial cut... and watching Jatavis Brown last night was the salt.
    Gotta agree with that one. Sounds like we need limes and tequila to sort this all out.

I still don't really understand what their plan is for Freeney. Let's say he gets healthy and proves that he can play in the NFL prior to the start of the 2017 regular season. For purposes of this hypothetical, Shazier and Williams are the starting ILB. Does he slot in next to Shazier at ILB and force Williams to the bench/primary back-up role? That would be a pretty light set of inside backers. Does he simply get a hat on gameday as a special teamer and guy most likely to be able to assume Shazier's role in the defense when Shazier gets hurt? Does he get a hat on gameday to play some sort of "big" nickel role?

I still like the pick, especially that late in the draft. I will always be a fan of gambling on guys with good measurables. But I must confess I'm not certain I see where this is going...And to be totally fair, the biggest reason I am confused is that Golden and Williams have shown that their ceiling as starters is far far higher than thought.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Gotta agree with that one. Sounds like we need limes and tequila to sort this all out.

I still don't really understand what their plan is for Freeney. Let's say he gets healthy and proves that he can play in the NFL prior to the start of the 2017 regular season. For purposes of this hypothetical, Shazier and Williams are the starting ILB. Does he slot in next to Shazier at ILB and force Williams to the bench/primary back-up role? That would be a pretty light set of inside backers. Does he simply get a hat on gameday as a special teamer and guy most likely to be able to assume Shazier's role in the defense when Shazier gets hurt? Does he get a hat on gameday to play some sort of "big" nickel role?

I still like the pick, especially that late in the draft. I will always be a fan of gambling on guys with good measurables. But I must confess I'm not certain I see where this is going...And to be totally fair, the biggest reason I am confused is that Golden and Williams have shown that their ceiling as starters is far far higher than thought.
    Feeney strikes me as a pick to fill a special role, namely the linebacker who can actually cover a decent TE and prevent them from breaking the defense. So probably a situational OLB who drops into coverage a lot.

Mark my words, we'll keep Timmons around for another year or two, albeit at a much reduced rate. Not extending him this year was about getting the restructure money to finally clear out, and also making sure he hasn't hit the quick decline yet, which so far it appears he has not.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Feeney strikes me as a pick to fill a special role, namely the linebacker who can actually cover a decent TE and prevent them from breaking the defense. So probably a situational OLB who drops into coverage a lot.

Mark my words, we'll keep Timmons around for another year or two, albeit at a much reduced rate. Not extending him this year was about getting the restructure money to finally clear out, and also making sure he hasn't hit the quick decline yet, which so far it appears he has not.
    That makes sense. Hope you are right about Timmons. He can still get it done.