Thread: This could be the answer the Steelers are looking for

Senior Member Array title="awe1028 will become famous soon enough">

This could be the answer the Steelers are looking for

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/09...l-play-sunday/

According to Kozora's piece above it appears the Steelers are going to give Gilbert some PT. After seeing the Eagles torch the Steelers defense due to its inability to get pressure on Wentz a change is clearly in order

Last year the Steelers were able to apply effective pressure on the QB by blitzing blitzing and blitzing some more. This resulted in an increased sack total however the secondary suffered as a result.

This season in an attempt to protect the secondary Butler implemented a zone scheme in which he neglected the pass rush dropping the majority of players in to coverageIt worked for the first two games but the Eagles adjusted and we saw what happened

It may be time for Butler to go back to the blitzing defense he employed last year in order to get some pressure This of course will make the secondary more vulnerable which is where Gilbert comes in

The Steelers spent some high draft picks on the secondary over the last 2 drafts bringing in Burns Davis and Golson (though he has been injured). They also traded for the ultra talented Gilbert who is probably the most talented of them all.

It seems Butler has decided to put them to good use. He had been giving Burns and Davis some playing time and now it is time for Gilbert as well

This of course is a risky proposition as the trio are inexperienced. However they are also very talented. Butler has to throw them to the wolves a sort of baptism by fire if you will and hope they are up to the challenge. Glven how the defense looked against the Eagles this may be the only option Butler has left to improve the defense

I for one am looking forward to seeing what Gilbert in conjunction with Burns Davis and Golson (when he comes from his injury) can do

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Re: This could be the answer the Steelers are looking for

I will believe this when I see it.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

If Golden is out Steelers practically have no choice but to play Gilbert. Davis will be full time at safety, and he was a corner in dime packages thus far. So Gilbert is definitely going to play, but I'm not sure it would be more than a dozen snaps.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

They're going to play KC, and the most important thing when playing an Andy Reid offense is the ability to tackle. Even if they play more man coverage, the CB's are going to have to tackle. Alex Smith will be getting rid of the ball quickly if they apply more pressure, and the secondary will need to tackle well, or they will not have a good day.

The ability to cover closely is important, but they also need to not let a 3 yard pass turn into a 10-20 yard catch.

It will be interesting to see what Gilbert can do if he gets into the game, and to see what adjustments Butler makes to the recent game plans.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drazo85 View Post
    If Golden is out Steelers practically have no choice but to play Gilbert. Davis will be full time at safety, and he was a corner in dime packages thus far. So Gilbert is definitely going to play, but I'm not sure it would be more than a dozen snaps.
    Davis has a back injury and is questionable. Dangerfield has been taking first team snaps at SS this week and will most likely start. Gilbert will play (not start) on the outside so it sounds like Gay will be going back to the slot.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    Davis has a back injury and is questionable. Dangerfield has been taking first team snaps at SS this week and will most likely start. Gilbert will play (not start) on the outside so it sounds like Gay will be going back to the slot.
    Hope he can earn "respect".

Scary, though, he's 3rd string and that tells you the non confidence they have in Sharknado

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    Didn't know about Davis, but that doesn't change anything at corner. Burns and Cockrel will be outside, while Gay will be in the slot. Gilbert will play in dime package only, barring injury.

Butler is caught between a rock and a hard place. He realizes that he has no OLB that can provide an effective pass rush. Therefore in order to apply pressure he has to generate it artificially by blitzing. However, the secondary though talented is inexperienced and prone to making mistakes. Mistakes in the secondary as we know results in big plays. So what is he left with blitzing more which leaves the secondary prone to giving up big plays or dropping back into coverage which prevents said big plays but results in huge yards on the ground or huge YACs from receptions in the backfield

After what happened to the secondary last year his solution this year is to drop players into coverage. It worked to prevent the big plays but as we saw with the Eagles resulted in big yards on the ground. The stats show that the Steelers are one of the worse teams probably the worse in defending against RBs whether on the ground or YACs after the catch.

Basically he is playing a prevent defense for the entire game and teams are catching on culminating in the Eagles game. If he continues teams will continue to light up the Steelers. IMHO he has to go back to what he did last year. Its risky because this will probably result in giving some big plays. But he does have some talented young players in Gilbert Golson Burns and Davis not to mention Gay Golden and Mitchell are solid veterans. He has to hope that by the end of the season the players have gotten the mistakes out of their systems and will be able perform at a high level in the playoffs

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Well we have 2 OLB's that can get pressure, one is injured and the other is older. I think we are just going to have to bite the bullet and up JH's snap count hoping his body will last (if we don't make the playoffs and he is rested what is the point, he is here for a ring so it is all or bust for him). Hopefully Dupree will heal up for the stretch run. We are going to have to start bringing pressure, so our Safeties are going to have to stop the big play and hope that our corners are up to the challenge. I think that is our best option.

So basically he is going to play due to injuries. If he does well then what does that say about the coaching? After all, he wouldn't be seeing the field without the team injuries sustained.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I don't know what player ever revealed his real value by sitting on the bench, and I also don't know who we have that's noticeably better than him, so having him play is kind of a "duh."
    See you Space Cowboy ...

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/09...-guys-one-one/

This is why you can't blame Butler for what's going on with the defense. He knows exactly that it is a lack of a pass rush that is causing the problem with the defense.

He clearly says that the Steelers should get a pass rush one on one which means he should not have to blitz to get a pass rush. It may not be unintentional but this is an indictment of Colbert for not addressing it.

Quote Originally Posted by awe1028 View Post
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/09...-guys-one-one/

This is why you can't blame Butler for what's going on with the defense. He knows exactly that it is a lack of a pass rush that is causing the problem with the defense.

He clearly says that the Steelers should get a pass rush one on one which means he should not have to blitz to get a pass rush. It may not be unintentional but this is an indictment of Colbert for not addressing it.
    So rushing 3 isn't helping anyone. Sitting your best pass rusher(Harrison) on the bench or dropping him into cover isn't helping either. The secondary is no worse than last year. Let's see, the secondary is getting eaten up with no pass rush, so why not hurry the QB. Wasn't there a stat released that stated when the Steelers rush 4 or more the opposing QB's completion % is 27?

He clearly says that the Steelers should get a pass rush one on one which means he should not have to blitz to get a pass rush
    It's 5 O-linemen vs 2 or 3 rushers. Where is the one on one?
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I really hope he plays. I don't want to see a late round pick spent on another guy that doesn't see the field until December

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    I will believe this when I see it.
    No you won't!

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

Good thing Blake's not here anymore or the Iggles would've had at least 14 more points! Holy shit, we're almost out of scapegoats!
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

Senior Member Array title="StillCurtains is a name known to all">

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Well we have 2 OLB's that can get pressure, one is injured and the other is older. I think we are just going to have to bite the bullet and up JH's snap count hoping his body will last (if we don't make the playoffs and he is rested what is the point, he is here for a ring so it is all or bust for him). Hopefully Dupree will heal up for the stretch run. We are going to have to start bringing pressure, so our Safeties are going to have to stop the big play and hope that our corners are up to the challenge. I think that is our best option.
    We really can't bring pressure! I hope Gilbert does well but even if he does it's far from the answer. In order to blitz it requires tackling. There is no way Butler can count on getting home every time he blitzes and he knows that. The times that the blitz gets picked up, there are less defenders in coverage and they will have to tackle in space!

So far we have not been blitzing and have had 8 men in coverage. Even with that many guys in coverage we still can't tackle in space. Many are looking at the corners because of the pass yardage given up but it's truly the LB's. Yes our corners should tackle better, but the LB's are the first line of defense. They're not getting off of blocks on screens, and they're not covering or tackling backs in the short and intermediate passing game.

When you look at the corners, they're making plays on the ball in coverage. However, being that the LB's are playing so poorly, Butler has them playing with a cushion because they being made to peek at what the LB's are not getting done in front of them anticipating being the 2nd line of defense. They need the cushion to do 2 jobs. It's to keep the LB's job in front of them while at the same time not allowing the receivers to get behind them. tough to do!

So rushing 3 isn't helping anyone. Sitting your best pass rusher(Harrison) on the bench or dropping him into cover isn't helping either. The secondary is no worse than last year. Let's see, the secondary is getting eaten up with no pass rush, so why not hurry the QB. Wasn't there a stat released that stated when the Steelers rush 4 or more the opposing QB's completion % is 27?

We are actually in agreement. I am advocating that Butler discards the prevent defense and goes back to a more conventional pass rush including increased blitzing. I am just saying that he is in a damned if he does damned if he doesn't situation and thus I understand why he started the season by employing the prevent defense.

With regards to Butler's comment about getting pressure one on one. I think what the comment is saying is that the team should be able to get pressure one on one but that the talent is just not there to do that so he is using the prevent defense to protect the secondary and prevent big plays.

With Harrison I think Butler is making an acknowledging to Father Time. Butler knows that Harrison is indeed the team's best pass rusher however, he is also 38 yo so he is trying not to burn him out half way through the season.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Against the Eagles they had 2 DL in the game. 2 on 5. 4 LB, 5 DB and Wentz still carved up the 5 DBs...Why???

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    No you won't!
    How can the physical presence of matter be faked? He is either on the field playing or he is not on the field.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Peon View Post
    Good thing Blake's not here anymore or the Iggles would've had at least 14 more points! Holy shit, we're almost out of scapegoats!

Blake was not a scapegoat. He thoroughly deserved every atom of abuse that he took.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

If Gilbert is worthy of half his draft hype, then yes, he will be part of the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by StillCurtains View Post
    We really can't bring pressure! I hope Gilbert does well but even if he does it's far from the answer. In order to blitz it requires tackling. There is no way Butler can count on getting home every time he blitzes and he knows that. The times that the blitz gets picked up, there are less defenders in coverage and they will have to tackle in space!

So far we have not been blitzing and have had 8 men in coverage. Even with that many guys in coverage we still can't tackle in space. Many are looking at the corners because of the pass yardage given up but it's truly the LB's. Yes our corners should tackle better, but the LB's are the first line of defense. They're not getting off of blocks on screens, and they're not covering or tackling backs in the short and intermediate passing game.

When you look at the corners, they're making plays on the ball in coverage. However, being that the LB's are playing so poorly, Butler has them playing with a cushion because they being made to peek at what the LB's are not getting done in front of them anticipating being the 2nd line of defense. They need the cushion to do 2 jobs. It's to keep the LB's job in front of them while at the same time not allowing the receivers to get behind them. tough to do!
    This See Artie Burns on the Giovanni Bernard Touchdown for example

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Against the Eagles they had 2 DL in the game. 2 on 5. 4 LB, 5 DB and Wentz still carved up the 5 DBs...Why???
    Because Butler is afraid of the inexperience of the secondary and you can't blame him.

Because Butler is afraid of the inexperience of the secondary and you can't blame him.

Really the only player missing from last year is Blake, the worst CB in the NFL last year.

The defense does better when blitzing. QBs are passing for the 27% completion when the Steelers sick them at the QB.
    Hater = Realist

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Because Wentz has all day to decide where to throw. No DB, not Rod Woodson, Not Deion Sanders, Not Champ Bailey can stay with a receiver for a long period of time. Eventually one is going to get open if you aren't pressuring the QB. I don't know what kind of time Wentz had to throw compared to when the Steelers blitz, but in theory and from what it looked like, it was a lot longer than the norm...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Blake was not a scapegoat. He thoroughly deserved every atom of abuse that he took.
    Exactly

- - - Updated - - -

Really the only player missing from last year is Blake, the worst CB in the NFL last year.

The defense does better when blitzing. QBs are passing for the 27% completion when the Steelers sick them at the QB.
    Yep. The secondary is better this year than it was last year. We're missing Dupree but the rest of the players are here and we have better depth at DE.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Because Wentz has all day to decide where to throw. No DB, not Rod Woodson, Not Deion Sanders, Not Champ Bailey can stay with a receiver for a long period of time. Eventually one is going to get open if you aren't pressuring the QB. I don't know what kind of time Wentz had to throw compared to when the Steelers blitz, but in theory and from what it looked like, it was a lot longer than the norm...
    It's pretty simple: He had as long as he wanted. So there is no real good comparison there.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="StillCurtains is a name known to all">

You need to be sure that you have read EVERYTHING I said my friend! I stated that our corners can TACKLE better did I not? It still doesn't negate the fact that the secondary is the 2nd line of defense as I have stated.

The LB's are not making plays in the 1st line of defense. You're correct, We had 2 DE's, 4 LB's and 5 DB's alligned on the field. Did anyone blitz? No the DE's were the rushers and the 4LB's dropped in coverage. This isn't the only time they have done this.

For instance you mention that Burns missed Bernard on the TD vs Cincinnati. True he should have made the tackle. The point is how did Bernard get back there to Burns in the first place? Our corners don't cover Running backs do they? No they don't, that's the responsibility of our LB's. If the LB's were doing their job in the first line of defense, the corners wouldn't have to make those type of plays.

We are ranked last in the league in passing yardage against Running Backs. Stats don't lie so you're going to blame that on the secondary? If you believe that then you must also be giving the LB's credit for holding WR's to modest numbers as if they are the ones that are actually covering them. Running backs are killing our LB's in the passing game plain and simple.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

It doesn't matter who the Steelers trot out at Safety or how good their pass rush is.

If they can't tackle, they're going to continue to have problems.

Butler's Defense is deliberately designed to tackle the catch and squeeze the Offense, but it only works when the players tackle. The Eagles got most of their damage by YAC. Shazier missed a tackle that went for a first down on the TE when it should've been short.

Gio Bernard scored, why? Because Artie Burns missed the tackle.