Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Markus Wheaton

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Markus Wheaton

This clown is a momentum killer. Any hope the Steelers had had winning this game went out with the drop.

Dropped a TD in his hands, then drops a second drive killer when the team still had a chance. Ben completely lost it after that.

The team has had a rough day, but this guy is on top of the list.

Time to eat this **** sandwich and regroup for next week. A lot of soul searching for this team to do this week.
    Last edited by Edman; 09-25-2016 at 09:32 PM.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Markus Wheaton

Worst game of his career.....

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Limas-esque.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

A little part of me wonders. If Markus had caught his first pass, which would have been a touchdown, how different would this game have been? It probably wouldn't have made much of a difference, but just thinking out loud.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Don't offer him a penny, let some team in need of a WR overpay him next spring

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

He had a bad game.

This is why I don't think he should have been put in there and played like a starter. they should have worked him in slowly. Coates and Rogers have been playing well. It's not like he AB. He could have gotten less playing time until he got his legs under him.

The dropped TD and blocked field goal was a knife in the heart early, and the couple drops that ended drives were also killers.

He's not going to be happy watching the film of this game.

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

Wheaton exemplifies the problem our offense has had since AB took over at the #1 WR position, and forgive me, I'm about to repeat myself again. Back in those days, all the talk was about how the Steelers lacked a true #1 WR threat, but I knew for a fact that was all complete bullshit, what the real problem actually was, and continues to be, which really is the lack of a solid #2. Back then it was Wheaton or Moye who was supposed to step up into the #2 slot and make a big difference, but all they ended up being were #3s trying to play #2. Martavis was supposed to change all that, but of course playing in the NFL isn't really what he wants to do apparently. And so, we have yet another season with Wheaton doing another shitty impression of a #2 WR, and it's never going to work, nor has it ever. I'm not sure if Tomlin can do what needs to be done, but this stiff is wasting everybody's time, and any of our other WRs should be moved into the #2 slot immediately, even if we still only have a bunch of #3s on the roster. The only thing I'll give Wheaton a break on is that fucking everyone was dropping passes today, but he dropped the really big ones. I think our CP was around 15% today?
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    A little part of me wonders. If Markus had caught his first pass, which would have been a touchdown, how different would this game have been? It probably wouldn't have made much of a difference, but just thinking out loud.
    I'm with you momentum is a powerful opponent

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

AB, Bryant and Coates should be the top three next year. Wheaton can walk there are a million guys just like him.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    AB, Bryant and Coates should be the top three next year. Wheaton can walk there are a million guys just like him.
    Don't forget Rogers.

I said it when it happened, the loss of Bryant, is big. Bigger than anyone thinks. A whole lot of people thought that Coates and Wheaton could pick up the slack...clearly they haven't.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    Yes it would. It changed the complete complexion of the game.

Momentum is a very real thing. Once the Steelers lost it, it was gone.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

He should be benched. Put him after Coates and DHB.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Wheaton has missed a lot of time this year. I believe he'll be fine.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

We needed Lambert out there to cool off the Eagles.

All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

We've got a real problem at #2 WR. Nobody has really stepped up to win that spot. Coates has the slight edge on the big catches, imo.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    He should be benched. Put him after Coates and DHB.
    You don't bench the guy coming back from an injury. But you only use him on clear passing downs until he gets up to speed.

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

DHB used to play like that. Until he came to us, he dropped passes that my grandma would've caught and she's dead.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Wheaton was terrible, but that is not really the problem. He is a #3 receiver and our problem is the #2 spot.

If we try to use Wheaton as the #2 guy, he sucks. We thought Coates was possibly the answer, but he looks like he'll give you one or two big plays a game, which is nice, but then disappears completely for the rest of it - and if that's what you do, then you've failed at the #2 spot. Rogers is an OK #3 guy, but just OK.

The problem than all three of Wheaton, Coates and Rogers seem to have in common right now is than none of them can get open very often. They get a good number of targets, but the majority of them are contested, and therefore success is limited.

I don't know why we haven't seen DHB thrown into the mix. Does anyone remember him? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Wheaton was terrible, but that is not really the problem. He is a #3 receiver and our problem is the #2 spot.

If we try to use Wheaton as the #2 guy, he sucks. We thought Coates was possibly the answer, but he looks like he'll give you one or two big plays a game, which is nice, but then disappears completely for the rest of it - and if that's what you do, then you've failed at the #2 spot. Rogers is an OK #3 guy, but just OK.

The problem than all three of Wheaton, Coates and Rogers seem to have in common right now is than none of them can get open very often. They get a good number of targets, but the majority of them are contested, and therefore success is limited.

I don't know why we haven't seen DHB thrown into the mix. Does anyone remember him? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
    DHB had the same amount of snaps as Wheaton yesterday.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    You don't bench the guy coming back from an injury. But you only use him on clear passing downs until he gets up to speed.
    With that kind of a showing, I would for at least a game. His injury has nothing to do with his performance. Those were just flat out drops. This is a guy who was saying that he was a healthy scratch last week.

It should be an open competition for the #2 WR spot. Whoever plays the best, gets the spot. Wheaton's gone after this year anyway so I'd rather use the spot to get the other guys more experience. If Coates can't step up and take the #2 spot, then he's not the WR that we thought he was.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I said it when it happened, the loss of Bryant, is big. Bigger than anyone thinks. A whole lot of people thought that Coates and Wheaton could pick up the slack...clearly they haven't.
    ^^^^^^
    This

Post-Gazette this morning noted how important Bryant is to the productivity of this offense

Bryant, who is suspended for the season, isn’t coming back to save the offense, but it is worth noting what he meant to it. He was worth more than a touchdown per game to the Steelers over his first two NFL seasons. The Steelers scored, on average, 6.4 points per game more when Bryant has been in the lineup, posting a prolific 28.6 points per game with him and only 22.2 without him.

After three games this season, the Steelers are right at their 22 points per game average without him following their meager three-point output against the Eagles.
    The Steelers have scored 30 points or more 15 times over the past 35 games. Bryant played in 11 of those games.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201609260064

Right now the second best receiver on the team probably is Bell.

Easily.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Joe_Flaccid: Did Ben give up on looking for any other WRs in the 2nd half yesterday or was Brown the only one able to get open? Nobody else seemed capable of a routine catch anyway.

Ray Fittipaldo: That's what I wrote about today -- the lack of a true No. 2 WR behind Antonio Brown. I know some people disagree with me. They think Wheaton can handle that role. I don't think he can. I don't think he's built for it. I think he would be better as a No. 3, which is essentially what he was last year when Martavis Bryant played so well. And that situation isn't going to get any better if Eli Rogers is out for a lengthy period.

truesteelerfan: Wheaton - nerves or simply not that good? I can see that TD drop may have never even been seen by him - so surprised when it hit him, but come on.

Ray Fittipaldo: Combination of both. He's not a bad player, but he's miscast as a No. 2 receiver.

to read rest of chat:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201609260144

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

We were missing our #2, Le'veon Bell. Wheaton is a 3/4 on this team.
    All Defense!

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    We were missing our #2, Le'veon Bell. Wheaton is a 3/4 on this team.
    Bryant is the one that they are missing the most. More so than Bell.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    DHB had the same amount of snaps as Wheaton yesterday.
    What, in garbage time? Because it sure looked like he was not getting on the field until someone else was hurt.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    What, in garbage time? Because it sure looked like he was not getting on the field until someone else was hurt.
    Likely, I can't remember. I remember after one drop, it seemed like Limas Wheaton was taken off the field and I saw 88 out there.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

HHEEEAAAATTTTHHHHH!!!!!!!

What a difference a solid TE makes.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

For those of you calling for DHB to play more........please stop. He is not a starting WR in the NFL. He is simply not good enough. He can't play the ball in the air, he has no body control, he has terrible hands, and he has no feel for the game. If it weren't for his hustle on special teams, he would not be in the league right now.

Everyone playing ahead of him is a better WR than he is, and it's not close.

Exactly. DHB is a good special teams player and that's it.