Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Markus Wheaton

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Markus Wheaton

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    For those of you calling for DHB to play more........please stop. He is not a starting WR in the NFL. He is simply not good enough. He can't play the ball in the air, he has no body control, he has terrible hands, and he has no feel for the game. If it weren't for his hustle on special teams, he would not be in the league right now.

Everyone playing ahead of him is a better WR than he is, and it's not close.
    I think it comes from frustration watching other guys drop passes in the endzone. Not just Wheaton, Coates had one in the numbers and let it bounce off. Luckily Rogers was there instead of a defender. Just notice the comparisons to Wallace. Everybody knows DHB is not the answer, otherwise he would be on the field. It's looking for answers to questions that bother us so. At this point, give Ayers playing time. Any port in a storm, as they say.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

This is starting to remind me of when everyone was sure that Emmanuel Sanders was awful. Then he left and became the destroyer of defenses.

Wheaton is a decent to above average WR. Certainly capable of being a #2. He had a bad day on Sunday.

WR is the least of this team's worries.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I think it comes from frustration watching other guys drop passes in the endzone. Not just Wheaton, Coates had one in the numbers and let it bounce off. Luckily Rogers was there instead of a defender. Just notice the comparisons to Wallace. Everybody knows DHB is not the answer, otherwise he would be on the field. It's looking for answers to questions that bother us so. At this point, give Ayers playing time. Any port in a storm, as they say.
    That is not necessarily true on this team.

Anyway, he doesn't have to be "The Answer," he just has to be able to get open and catch 4 or 5 passes a game so we're not forcing it on half our throws. He can do that. No, he's never going to live up to his draft hype, but he's produced pretty consistently with us; the only reason he doesn't is when he's on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    This is starting to remind me of when everyone was sure that Emmanuel Sanders was awful. Then he left and became the destroyer of defenses.

Wheaton is a decent to above average WR. Certainly capable of being a #2. He had a bad day on Sunday.

WR is the least of this team's worries.

You do remember the part where Wheaton has sucked shit every time we've tried him in the #2 spot, right? He thrives against third corners and safeties, but against CBs who are average or better, he just can't get open.

Yeah, this reminds me a lot of Sanders, except for how Sanders didn't have the glaring, smack-you-in-the-face types of weaknesses.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    That is not necessarily true on this team.

Anyway, he doesn't have to be "The Answer," he just has to be able to get open and catch 4 or 5 passes a game so we're not forcing it on half our throws. He can do that. No, he's never going to live up to his draft hype, but he's produced pretty consistently with us; the only reason he doesn't is when he's on the bench.

You do remember the part where Wheaton has sucked shit every time we've tried him in the #2 spot, right? He thrives against third corners and safeties, but against CBs who are average or better, he just can't get open.

Yeah, this reminds me a lot of Sanders, except for how Sanders didn't have the glaring, smack-you-in-the-face types of weaknesses.
    And that's what you took from that?

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Sanders WAS awful.

Just because he went on to have success in Denver doesn't erase his mediocrity here.

BTW, Sanders is only the #2 receiver in Denver. Thomas is still the man.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

We can get away with not having a legit #2 if the others can step up and make their catches. Think of it as a #2 by committee. I am hoping Wheaton was just rusty as he usually makes his catches. DHB is good for a couple of drops, but for us he has been fine as a #3 or #4. Coates really needs to step it up though. Jesse J has been fine and had Ben not missed him WIDE OPEN he probably would have a good catch and run for a TD. Ben is going to drive this offense, and he will need to step up his play if we are to be successful. Remember he missed on a few wide open passes last game, wide open enough for 2-3 TD's.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    We can get away with not having a legit #2 if the others can step up and make their catches. Think of it as a #2 by committee. I am hoping Wheaton was just rusty as he usually makes his catches. DHB is good for a couple of drops, but for us he has been fine as a #3 or #4. Coates really needs to step it up though. Jesse J has been fine and had Ben not missed him WIDE OPEN he probably would have a good catch and run for a TD. Ben is going to drive this offense, and he will need to step up his play if we are to be successful. Remember he missed on a few wide open passes last game, wide open enough for 2-3 TD's.
    Yeah, we're not necessarily looking for someone who fits the #2 role to a T. We also undeniably have a lot of talent at WR, but right now it is all kind of situationally-based and leaving us in a weird spot.

Outside of Brown, no one in the lineup really creates on his own. Wheaton can be good when conditions are right, but is highly dependent on two other receivers drawing more attention. Rogers is exactly the same, only has more trouble than Wheaton getting open against slot corners and safeties. Coates' performance so far has kind of been the football equivalent of Dave Kingman / Rob Deer / Adam Dunn who would get you 35 home runs in a year but also hit .220 with 180 strikeouts. Unfortunately, it also looks like he doesn't know how to get open consistently against decent corners.

Bottom line is that none of the Wheaton-Coates-Rogers trio has been very good at making the in-between plays that would earn you the label of a "well-rounded receiver" and really make the passing game a lot easier. Put together they have the skill set of one very good and well-rounded receiver, but the reality is that they are three individual players with narrow skill sets. So the result is that what they do will work in spots but also remain very prone to being streaky.

It is rather ironic that DHB is probably the closest thing we have to a second "well-rounded" receiver at this point, but he is, so it would probably help to involve him more. Not to the exclusion of the others, but do get him on the field.

By the way, this does not mean that I am "giving up" on Coates and Rogers, or that "omg we have no talent at WR we need to draft more," in case anyone is making that mistake. I like their potential, especially Coates, but right now it is not developed into what we need. Keep giving Coates playing time, but I don't think we should be counting on him as the other go-to guy yet, as he is easily shut down for large stretches of the game.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Member Array title="lotas will become famous soon enough">

I really like Wheaton, I think he is our most consistent option after Brown, since he was non existent last week it's almost as if we're getting him and Bell back in our receiving game this week lol. Watch his highlights from last year (mute that shit) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W8cLOyQmKo look at some of the catches he makes like at 2:00 when he gets smashed across the middle and holds on? That's impressive, he's like Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes combined.

He makes a lot of difficult catches in traffic, and last year he had 5 TD with a 17 yd average. We are missing that intermediate threat right now big time. Coates is a one trick pony, Rogers is too young and inexperienced, Brown is covered like white on rice, and with Bryant out Wheaton is our only relief at WR. He will bounce back against the Chiefs and have close to 100 yds receiving, that's my prediction.

Don't disappoint me and make me look like an ass, Markus!

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Sanders WAS awful.

Just because he went on to have success in Denver doesn't erase his mediocrity here.

BTW, Sanders is only the #2 receiver in Denver. Thomas is still the man.
    I wouldn't say that Sanders was awful but I agree that people seem to be forgetting about all of the drops by him when he played for us. He was nothing special.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

How can Coates be labeled a one trick pony three games into his second year?

Come on folks. He has made some mistakes, but he has made more big plays than anyone except AB in limited snaps. Let him get more playing time as the outside receiver and let Wheaton play more slot. That gives the team and Ben the closest configuration to having Martavis Bryant in the lineup.

Coates will continue to develop and improve with playing time. He is already a player that the defense has to worry about every play. Those guys don't grow on trees.

If they let him play, they will be rewarded by having an explosive player on the field that will create space for the other receivers. He's the only guy that can take the top off of the defense currently on the roster. He is the WR that can help make everyone else better if he performs well, because he can do more of the things Bryant can do than anyone else.

Ben is having some communication problems with the young guys. The overthrow of James that everyone is talking about is a good example. There was a replay from behind Ben showing that James slowed down to sit down for Ben just as Ben was throwing the ball to lead him down the field. That's just one example of some of the learning process that is going on with so many inexperienced players on the field. At some point, they will start to figure it all out, and they will be consistent performers with a higher ceiling than putting someone like DHB on the field.

AB, Coates, and Wheaton on the field together is the most talented set of WR's they can put out there right now. I think they should go with that most of the time to have the most success. Add Bell to the mix and the unique receiving ability that he brings to the position. Run some sets with Bell and Deangelo Williams on the field at the same time, and occasionally split Bell out to force mismatches.

There's still a ton of talent on the field if the remaining players stay healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    I wouldn't say that Sanders was awful but I agree that people seem to be forgetting about all of the drops by him when he played for us. He was nothing special.

Talented but could never seem to live up to his occasional flashes, is how I would put it.

The difference between him and Wheaton is that Sanders was an all-around receiver who could fill any role (and get open on his own), he just wasn't great at it when he was with us. Wheaton is a situational receiver who has maximized his potential in that role, but can't get open on his own against decent defenders. Even thought they put up similar yardage totals and both played as "The #3 Receiver," they strike me as very different players.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Come on folks. He has made some mistakes, but he has made more big plays than anyone except AB in limited snaps. Let him get more playing time as the outside receiver and let Wheaton play more slot. That gives the team and Ben the closest configuration to having Martavis Bryant in the lineup.

Coates will continue to develop and improve with playing time. He is already a player that the defense has to worry about every play. Those guys don't grow on trees.

If they let him play, they will be rewarded by having an explosive player on the field that will create space for the other receivers. He's the only guy that can take the top off of the defense currently on the roster. He is the WR that can help make everyone else better if he performs well, because he can do more of the things Bryant can do than anyone else.

Ben is having some communication problems with the young guys. The overthrow of James that everyone is talking about is a good example. There was a replay from behind Ben showing that James slowed down to sit down for Ben just as Ben was throwing the ball to lead him down the field. That's just one example of some of the learning process that is going on with so many inexperienced players on the field. At some point, they will start to figure it all out, and they will be consistent performers with a higher ceiling than putting someone like DHB on the field.

AB, Coates, and Wheaton on the field together is the most talented set of WR's they can put out there right now. I think they should go with that most of the time to have the most success. Add Bell to the mix and the unique receiving ability that he brings to the position. Run some sets with Bell and Deangelo Williams on the field at the same time, and occasionally split Bell out to force mismatches.

There's still a ton of talent on the field if the remaining players stay healthy.
    This is something I can totally agree with.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

To this point he's pretty much been nothing but a one trick pony. I want him to show us more. I was probably his biggest supporter on draft day...as a matter of fact if you go back and look at the draft thread, it's probably documented there. I know he can do more but at this level, he hasn't shown it...yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler