Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antonio Brown says he just wants to make plays

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Antonio Brown says he just wants to make plays

Antonio Brown said he is a competitor who wants to get the football and make plays. When he doesn’t, it can lead to the frustration he directed at quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in a victory Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals.

After one incompletion, Brown reacted angrily as he came off the field and had to be calmed down by guard Ramon Foster and center Maurkice Pouncey on the sideline.

He also heard about it from Roethlisberger.

“He usually tells me shut up,” Brown said Tuesday night on his radio show...........

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...ime=1474432472

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Antonio Brown says he just wants to make plays

I don't think that's the case at all. I think it's his fantasy statistics and personal accomplishments he cares about.

You want to make plays? Then make them. Ben hit you right in the numbers for a big gain and you dropped it. Thinking about dancing and jiggaboo and lost focus on the game.

Methinks AB has gotten a little too full of himself after this offseason. Dude better check himself, or he won't be around for too long.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Show me a receiver that doesn't want the ball and I'll show you a receiver that I don't want on the team.

We didn't do a good job of getting the ball to him on Sunday. Yea, he dropped one. That's on him. All receivers will drop a ball now and then. AB drops very few and catches quite a few passes that other receivers wouldn't.

We shouldn't be focused just on him but he is our best offensive weapon and I don't mind him showing some emotion in wanting the ball. Ben will keep him in check.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    jiggaboo
    I've read (& enjoyed) your posts for years... ergo, I can assume you probably meant to use a different word.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    Show me a receiver that doesn't want the ball and I'll show you a receiver that I don't want on the team.

We didn't do a good job of getting the ball to him on Sunday. Yea, he dropped one. That's on him. All receivers will drop a ball now and then. AB drops very few and catches quite a few passes that other receivers wouldn't.

We shouldn't be focused just on him but he is our best offensive weapon and I don't mind him showing some emotion in wanting the ball. Ben will keep him in check.
    Agreed.

Swann and Stallworth used to stalk Bradshaw in the lockerroom to throw them the ball

AB just needs to cut out the celebrations and twerks that gets him a penalty.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Agreed.

Swann and Stallworth used to stalk Bradshaw in the lockerroom to throw them the ball

AB just needs to cut out the celebrations and twerks that gets him a penalty.
    This is the only issue that I have with AB. He can express himself however he wishes but if it draws a penalty, he's hurting the team.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I'll basically let the guy who is outpacing Jerry Rice,s stats dance whenever he damn well pleases.

Could you you imagine if returned kicks full time? Likely make people forget about Devin Hester.l

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

AB can want the ball as much as he wants. He needs to get open and make the plays when he needs to.

He let Pacman lock him down, and when he got open, he dropped the ball. That's not on the Steelers.

AB can want the ball as much as he wants. He needs to get open and make the plays when he needs to.

He let Pacman lock him down, and when he got open, he dropped the ball. That's not on the Steelers.
    Who says that he's not getting open? Did you go back and watch every single play in the Bengals game and watch AB's complete routes? I'm sure that the answer is "No". I can guarantee you that there were many times that he was open and didn't get the ball thrown his way. That happens in every game.

He dropped one pass in the Bengals game and I've already said that was on him. I'm sure that AB would say the same.

For all that AB has done for the Steelers, it's ridiculous to try to slight him now. There's no WR in the NFL that's more consistent or better than him.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I've read (& enjoyed) your posts for years... ergo, I can assume you probably meant to use a different word.
    I get what you are seeing, but he is using the term in a dancing sense, not the other. Like jitterbugging. He might not even be aware of the other interpretation.
    Hater = Realist

I don't think that's the case at all. I think it's his fantasy statistics and personal accomplishments he cares about.

You want to make plays? Then make them. Ben hit you right in the numbers for a big gain and you dropped it. Thinking about dancing and jiggaboo and lost focus on the game.

Methinks AB has gotten a little too full of himself after this offseason. Dude better check himself, or he won't be around for too long.
    Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    My guess . . . he conflated "dancing the Jig" and "Jigiboo". Unfortunate, but, like you, I assume he meant "jig" as well, especially has Edman doesn't have a history of throwing around racist terms.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    I get what you are seeing, but he is using the term in a dancing sense, not the other. Like jitterbugging. He might not even be aware of the other interpretation.
    There is no other definition. The dancing sense is still a slur against a specific group of people. There is no usage of the word that is not fundamentally offensive.

Now, he may have been attempting to reference Steelerkitty's own offensive comments in the Gameday thread in a humorous way that kinda didn't work.

Bottom line, there has been far too many usages of racist terms and arguments around here lately. Troubling.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I'll basically let the guy who is outpacing Jerry Rice,s stats dance whenever he damn well pleases.
    I agree.

- - - Updated - - -

Bottom line, there has been far too many usages of racist terms and arguments around here lately. Troubling.
    I agree with this also.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    My guess . . . he conflated "dancing the Jig" and "Jigiboo". Unfortunate, but, like you, I assume he meant "jig" as well, especially has Edman doesn't have a history of throwing around racist terms.
    Correct. That's what I was trying to get across.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    My guess . . . he conflated "dancing the Jig" and "Jigiboo".

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

$$$$

Banned Array title="steelerkitty will become famous soon enough">

I thought it was funny when I read where Ben told Antonio to Shut up, and not get too emotionally involved in the game. :-) I love Antonio. He works as hard as any player to improve. And he will give his all. I just think he is too Hollywood, and that his antics can and will eventually hurt the team at a critical point.

Banned Array title="LloydWoodson is a glorious beacon of light">

I don't care if AB celebrates after TDs. I like it. And the penalty is only on the kickoff so the ensuing field position difference is minimal.

I actually loved TO's and Chad Johnson's celebrations too though- remember TO pretending to videotape the Pats after a TD? Johnson playing golf using the ball and a corner pylon? Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by LloydWoodson View Post
    I don't care if AB celebrates after TDs. I like it. And the penalty is only on the kickoff so the ensuing field position difference is minimal.

I actually loved TO's and Chad Johnson's celebrations too though- remember TO pretending to videotape the Pats after a TD? Johnson playing golf using the ball and a corner pylon? Classic.
    I agree. The NFL should let these guys have some fun. Most of the TD celebrations are creative and funny and usually don't seek to offend anyone in particular.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

I agree. The NFL should let these guys have some fun. Most of the TD celebrations are creative and funny and usually don't seek to offend anyone in particular.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

This s really a non-story...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Banned Array title="LloydWoodson is a glorious beacon of light">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Yeah and reporters have to make a story out of something. I don't like or trust sports reporters or reporters in general quite often. I would prefer to hear the context of the interview myself and not the writer's slant who is trying to sell copy. Also, if you know the fans hate certain traits like how Steelers fans still hate Mike Wallace you know "cocky wide receiver" is an instant attention grabber.

Other stories every year: need to get younger, revamped offense, is Ben elite?, is Ben in shape? etc.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

It's a non-story until after he takes a 15 yard celebration penalty in a crucial game and the kick that would have otherwise been a touchback is turned into a big return or it is returned for a touchdown and the Steelers lose the game.

Then it's a huge story. It's only a matter of time. It will happen sooner or later.

We could pretend it's a non-factor, but eventually it will be a factor if it continues. If you put a team in a bad situation often enough, or give opponents enough chances to take advantage of something, it will happen.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

AB is always open. Some receivers are sometimes more open because the DBs blanket AB.
    All Defense!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    It's a non-story until after he takes a 15 yard celebration penalty in a crucial game and the kick that would have otherwise been a touchback is turned into a big return or it is returned for a touchdown and the Steelers lose the game.

Then it's a huge story. It's only a matter of time. It will happen sooner or later.

We could pretend it's a non-factor, but eventually it will be a factor if it continues. If you put a team in a bad situation often enough, or give opponents enough chances to take advantage of something, it will happen.
    Brown saying he wants to make plays has nothing to do with what you are describing.

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Nope, still not worried about it. Maybe once, out of say 20 times that happens. Don't care now, didn't then and never will in the future. To me, the celebration is a breath of fresh air.

Don't even care if it happens 3 times in a row.

Who is to say if there was no penalty, that the same thing wouldn't happen? Maybe there was going to be a big play on a normal return, but the penalty took that away?

Thank god for AB's celebration penalty to keep that from happening.

Stop being pessimistic about it.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Brown saying he wants to make plays has nothing to do with what you are describing.

It's part of his game. It's part of all of this. Showing up his quarterback for not getting the ball or a bad throw. Complaining when he doesn't get his numbers. Having to perform a celebration that he knows will probably get a flag.......it's all part of him right now. It is exactly him and it is very much a part of the collateral situations that involve AB when he says he "Wants to make plays".

It's what he does. To say otherwise is ignoring the obvious.

He has become a brand.

As long as "Business is Boomin' ", everything is fine in AB's world. There are times when it seems there are things more important to him on the football field than winning. His priority isn't always what is good for the team.....it's what is good for AB.

That should be troubling to everyone.

I'm not saying he's the devil. He's a hell of a football player, and he plays hard. I'm saying he needs to adjust his view of things so that everything in the universe isn't required to revolve around him and he doesn't cost the team anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
    Nope, still not worried about it. Maybe once, out of say 20 times that happens. Don't care now, didn't then and never will in the future. To me, the celebration is a breath of fresh air.

Don't even care if it happens 3 times in a row.

Who is to say if there was no penalty, that the same thing wouldn't happen? Maybe there was going to be a big play on a normal return, but the penalty took that away?

Thank god for AB's celebration penalty to keep that from happening.

Stop being pessimistic about it.

Since when is winning not the most important thing in football?

When did a celebration or showing up a quarterback become more important than winning? I must have missed that announcement since I played the game.

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Since when is winning not the most important thing in football?

When did a celebration or showing up a quarterback become more important than winning? I must have missed that announcement since I played the game.
    WRONG.

Winning is important to you. Not to me.

BECAUSE IT IS A GAME. They are not searching for a cure to cancer. They are not stopping terrorists. They aren't solving the problem of hunger in the world. They aren't creating jobs for the homeless.

I am sure if the team had a problem with what he is doing, it would have been addressed a few years ago when it began.

They are players playing a game that some people take too seriously, and its okay if they dance from time to time, even if [gasp] it results in a penalty. Children aren't going to die because they dance. Reindeer all of a sudden are not going to become extinct.

Antonio Brown says he just wants to make plays

It's part of his game. It's part of all of this. Showing up his quarterback for not getting the ball or a bad throw. Complaining when he doesn't get his numbers. Having to perform a celebration that he knows will probably get a flag.......it's all part of him right now. It is exactly him and it is very much a part of the collateral situations that involve AB when he says he "Wants to make plays".

It's what he does. To say otherwise is ignoring the obvious.

He has become a brand.

As long as "Business is Boomin' ", everything is fine in AB's world. There are times when it seems there are things more important to him on the football field than winning. His priority isn't always what is good for the team.....it's what is good for AB.

That should be troubling to everyone.

I'm not saying he's the devil. He's a hell of a football player, and he plays hard. I'm saying he needs to adjust his view of things so that everything in the universe isn't required to revolve around him and he doesn't cost the team
    That's always been Brown. It's nothing new. And again... Saying he wants the ball has nothing to do with what you are arguing. I guess we should ask him to tone down his desire to make plays and hand the ball to the ref...you know like he's been there before? You know..."real class"? Lol. It's a non-story. This kind of thing (someone having the desire to make a play and expressing it) happens every week.

That's always been Brown. It's nothing new. And again... Saying he wants the ball has nothing to do with what you are arguing. I guess we should ask him to tone down his desire to make plays and hand the ball to the ref...you know like he's been there before? You know..."real class"? Lol. It's a non-story. This kind of thing (someone having the desire to make a play and expressing it) happens every week.
    I found this quote sometime ago, not sure where I got it but it fits perfectly here.

"You're trying to shame someone into changing their behavior to suit what you think their behavior should be like."