Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Odell Beckham Jr. or Antonio Brown : Better WR?

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Re: Odell Beckham Jr. or Antonio Brown : Better WR?

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    In the late 80s/early 90s, these were common debate topics for sports media:

Who is better: Jerry Rice or Michael Irvin?
    Who is better: Jerry Rice or Tim Brown?
    Who is better: Jerry Rice or Sterling Sharpe?

Similarly, two seasons ago:
    Who is better: AB or Megatron?

Last year:
    Who is better: AB or Julio Jones?

This year:
    Who is better: AB or ODB?

SUMMATION:
    If you want to know who is best, look at the intersection of both sets of Venn diagrams.
    Now that my friends, is a mic drop
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    In the late 80s/early 90s, these were common debate topics for sports media:

Who is better: Jerry Rice or Michael Irvin?
    Who is better: Jerry Rice or Tim Brown?
    Who is better: Jerry Rice or Sterling Sharpe?

Similarly, two seasons ago:
    Who is better: AB or Megatron?

Last year:
    Who is better: AB or Julio Jones?

This year:
    Who is better: AB or ODB?

SUMMATION:
    If you want to know who is best, look at the intersection of both sets of Venn diagrams.

As an aside, I used to say that Hines Ward, had he had more talent and was a bit faster, could have been the next Jerry Rice. By that, I mean he had the work ethic and the focus—something few people ever have to the degree needed to become a Jerry Rice.

Funny thing is . . . now we have a receiver who just might have the talent and speed, and also the work ethic. Again, only time will tell, but I think ABs trajectory is to Jerry Rice levels.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I stared at that picture hoping it was a .gif...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    As an aside, I used to say that Hines Ward, had he had more talent and was a bit faster, could have been the next Jerry Rice. By that, I mean he had the work ethic and the focus—something few people ever have to the degree needed to become a Jerry Rice.

Funny thing is . . . now we have a receiver who just might have the talent and speed, and also the work ethic. Again, only time will tell, but I think ABs trajectory is to Jerry Rice levels.
    If Ward were in a high octane offense, he may have appeared to have that talent that you speak of. With some of the trash and mush mash that was put out there, Ward did pretty damn good with what he had. Take him in his prime and put him on this team in say Rogers spot...oh man. He will forever go down as the slowest WR in history to run the bubble screen...lol.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    If Ward were in a high octane offense, he may have appeared to have that talent that you speak of. With some of the trash and mush mash that was put out there, Ward did pretty damn good with what he had. Take him in his prime and put him on this team in say Rogers spot...oh man. He will forever go down as the slowest WR in history to run the bubble screen...lol.
    Jerrico Cotchery may have taken that crown in 2013

Banned Array title="LloydWoodson is a glorious beacon of light">

Good point Teegre.

The real debate should be whether OBJ or AB have worse dance moves though.

Member Array title="GRAYGHOST668 is an unknown quantity at this point"> GRAYGHOST668's Avatar

hmmmm,,,well we have Brown and he has been awesome,,,Beckham on the other hand is in a entirely different offensive scheme ,,,,he could suck with the Steelers and the same could be said about Brown with the Giants,,,,in my opinion Eli Manning is not half the QB Ben is,,,,,,,,who knows,, I am happy with who we have,,,,,

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

AB is clearly better - why? - every single Fantasy football draft this year had AB taken with the #1 pick. Every single fantasy football ranking had AB as the number one ranked player - even though its a running back dominated game. Even the Cleveland Browns fan in my fantasy league who had the first pick and hates the Steelers with a passion took AB. No question - he is the #1 WR.

Odell is good. He's just not AB good.

(In my view - the Best Picture Oscar Award should go to the one that made the most money - i.e. most people went and saw it. I don't need a bunch of Hollywood asswipes telling me what the best movie should be - the people who spend their own money can tell you that)

It's actually not a RB dominated game. Not with the way the NFL is now.

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

It's really comparing apples to oranges at the same position.

AB is a smaller receiver who is really really fast and runs precise routes.

OBJ is a bigger receiver who doesn't run the precise routes but doesn't have to because of his size and freak athleticism.

Some of the catches AB makes, OBJ can't make because he's not that type of receiver and some of the catches OBJ makes AB wouldn't make because physically he can't do it.

I would say AB is the best receiver in the league, and that's not just me being a biased Steelers fan. The guy is an absolute beast.

And as for second best, I'd say Julio Jones is probably the second best receiver in the league. And then probably AJ Green.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Ab and obj are about the exact same size. Still agree with your assessment though.

Senior Member Array title="Kittyfish is a glorious beacon of light"> Kittyfish's Avatar

Not that I don't agree with y'all, but I'm willing to bet the answers would be quite different if this question was asked on a Giants fan board. :-)

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    There's a legitimate argument there . . . and I've asked it before: by how much does Ben R. make AB better? I'd say, probably 3-5 percent better; that boost from very good to top three. The problem, however, is that first TD pass from Ben should have been intercepted. Watch the replay, it was short, and fell through the arms of the defender. Brown, however, slowed down, came back to the ball, and fought for it, catching it for a TD. So, Brown also makes Ben much better.

IMO, the only thing holding Brown back from being the next Jerry Rice is having his career cut short by injury, or Ben's replacement being unable to deliver the ball. And, if you noticed in the last broadcast, I'm not the only one making those comparisons anymore.
    AB makes Ben better too....... let's not lose sight of that.

Brown dances and talks too much.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Brown dances and talks too much.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    AB makes Ben better too....... let's not lose sight of that.
    Um . . .
    The problem, however, is that first TD pass from Ben should have been intercepted. Watch the replay, it was short, and fell through the arms of the defender. Brown, however, slowed down, came back to the ball, and fought for it, catching it for a TD. So, Brown also makes Ben much better.
    Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I said.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyfish View Post
    Not that I don't agree with y'all, but I'm willing to bet the answers would be quite different if this question was asked on a Giants fan board. :-)
    It's our right as Steelers homers.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

if you think AB can be a diva...

McAdoo: Odell Beckham needs to be “less of a distraction”

http://www.bigblueview.com/2016/9/26...-a-distraction

The worst thing to happen to Beckham was that one handed catch. I wouldn't be surprised if he fizzles out by 2017...see CJ2k for an example.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Can Odell have ONE 100 catch season before he gets compared to AB? AB getting 130 catches a year.

To be fair AB would be better off with a dink and dunk QB than Ben. I don't think he would have better stats but Ben is more of a down field QB. Julio would be a better fit for Ben.

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

Or Megatron. Just throw the ball up, that guy could even catch it in triple coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by LloydWoodson View Post
    Can Odell have ONE 100 catch season before he gets compared to AB? AB getting 130 catches a year.

I can't even begin to tell you how little current day NFL records impress me.

NYG threw 1230 times in Beckham's first two years. Beckham was targeted 288 times.

Minn threw 1033 times in Moss' first two years. Moss targeted 261 times.

Every old record will be broken in today's NFL.

Beckham having 18 more yards on 27 more targets doesn't surprise me.

Also Brown has 3,532 yards over the last two years once again surpassing Beckham. Of course he had a staggering 374 targets.

My opinion is that AB is the best in the NFL based on his consistency and focus. There are other receivers in the same echelon like Beckham and especially Julio Jones. Also Green, Marshall, Nelson, DT etc.

No receiver is more athletically gifted than Julio.

It's just preference there isn't a wrong answer.

- - - Updated - - -

I do wonder what kind of numbers Moss would have put up in Detroit or New Orleans in the last 5 years if he was in his prime. I can't see him not getting 2,000 yards.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

My opinion, A.Brown. Go Steeler's.

Also shout out to Xavier Rhodes for holding Beckham to 23 yards on 3 catches out of 9 targets last night. Most people thought Rhodes was going to be a Steeler... nope... Jarvis Jones.

Watch Beckham take himself out of the game by having his 1 v 1 pissing match be more important than the team. Watch him give up an INT as he runs down field, hits Rhodes and then gives up on the route like Mike Wallace at 2:08.

https://youtu.be/hfZ54yKgsmA