Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Browns Trade CB Justin Gilbert To Steelers

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

Re: Browns Trade CB Justin Gilbert To Steelers

Well, at least this trade can't be worse than the trade for Scobee last year .

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...-steelers-pick

The Steelers, on the other hand, had planned to select cornerback Justin Gilbert (No. 8, Browns) or LSU wide receiver Odell Beckham (No. 12, Giants). Once those players were gone, general manager Kevin Colbert said it was "an easy evaluation" to switch gears and grab the best player on their board.
    Woo, could you imagine us having AB and OBJ (and Martavis, if he would've stayed away from pot). Ben would probably pass for 6,000 yards with those receivers...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Fits with recent Steeles player evaluation trends. Lots of guys showing up on the roster that have question marks but just ooze physical upside.

Burns
    Davis
    Golson
    Shadier
    Hargreaves
    McCullers
    DHB
    Bryant
    Coates
    Mettenberger
    Tuitt
    Shamarko
    Dupree

Some work. Some don't. A 6th round pick to get a guy with Gilberts tools? Solid roll of the dice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member Array title="Skinart82 is an unknown quantity at this point">

Randy Moss was a major question mark due to his attitude when he left Oakland for New England, but then he got into a system that wouldn't put up with it and also had tons of upside, and he wound up with 28 TDs. I think it's a good signing, little risk, possible for lots of reward.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsdancefloor View Post
    first off i like the trade when you have a merri-go-round as a coaching staff you are just not into it. 2nd can we all be civil? i do think that is to much to ask and calling someone SON is just wrong on so many levels any valid points you made are ruined by this.
    Exactly.

I can see why someone playing for Cleveland might not be motivated to go to meetings on time. Hopefully being a part of a winning culture will make a difference.

I am pretty excited about this pick as giving up a 6th round pick is a small price to pay for someone who has a lot of potential at our biggest area of need.

As for the "SON" comment, I have to say I have not laughed as hard reading a thread in a while as I have reading this one.

Pure entertainment. lol.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

It makes more sense to trade a 6th round pick for Gilbert than to use a 1st round pick on Burns.

At least the Steelers are trying something at CB.

On a different note, keep Gilbert away from Bell and Bryant. Those two are a bad influence.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

not going to get my hopes up too much but i do expect him to be better here with the stability we'll have all around in a winning football environment.

at the very least, were getting a good kick returner i suppose
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

If they all pan out....Boy Howdy!!!!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j-d-s View Post
    Woo, could you imagine us having AB and OBJ
    Tomlin tried to trade up for him. The NYGiants asked, "Who are you trading up for?" When the Steelers told them, the NYGiants said: "Hmmm... in that case, we'll just take him."

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    not going to get my hopes up too much but i do expect him to be better here with the stability we'll have all around in a winning football environment.

at the very least, were getting a good kick returner i suppose
    Just what i was thinking. At least try something to correct the weaknesses we've had. And he had a great history of KR's in college and he was pretty decent even in Stainville.

Even if he can get the ball to the 30-35 for this offense, that would be a great help. I'm seriously tired of starting at the 12.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

If Carnell Lake can get the most out of him and he plays up to his athletic ability and draft status, it will help the defense out tremendously.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

The Steelers couldn't do any worse drafting a CB in the 6th.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

now the question becomes, where do we play him once he's ready? the outside where h used to be projected at his best? or the slot to appease our needs?

didnt he play a lot of slot for the browns for some reason?
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkitty View Post
    This comment is pure stupidity. I mean DHB was signed outright, not traded. And DHB actually had good productive seasons before signing here...as where Gilbert has been a complete Bust! And DHB has never been anything but a good productive citizen. As where Gilbert has had MANY off the field incidents. So please...take your foot out of your mouth before commenting.

- - - Updated - - -

" Suck a ****! ( Seriously ) "
    can someone bounce this turd already ?

Member Array title="GRAYGHOST668 is an unknown quantity at this point"> GRAYGHOST668's Avatar

well I have read most of the comments,,and did a little research on the youngster,yes he has issues that need to be dealt with,,,he has good size he has a lot of playing time ahead of him if he can get it together,,,,now give this a thought,you are sitting at home waiting on your name to be called and when it is,,,,it is the friggin BROWNS just about the worse team a rookie can land in,,it is a crap team everyone knows it,,,it is hard to give it all to a team that is going no where fast,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

maybe being with a good team is all he needs to turn it around and be the kind of player that he was expected to be..................

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    can someone bounce this turd already ?
    Amen!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

This guy could be the best CB on the team if it breaks in our favor. Or, we could get nothing, like you usually do with your 6th-round pick. There is NO downside to this deal, unless he does something off the field that's so stupid it was unbelievable.

Edit: And it sure looks like the troll got what he wanted in this thread. Seriously, just don't even bother responding to people like that, it only encourages them.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="T&B fan has much to be proud of"> T&B fan's Avatar

9 DAYS
    we must never forget tell everyone you know New England cheated and might be back at it Edit 1-21-15 there back Edit #2__12-8-19 here we go again Edit #3__ 5-25-23 it never ends

Banned Array title="steelerkitty will become famous soon enough">

[QUOTE=steelreserve;556695]This guy could be the best CB on the team if it breaks in our favor.

Yeah right. And Donald Trump COULD become the next National Spokesman for the Feminist movement as well...( LOL )

He is a project. No one knows what we have here until we get him around older, high character players like DeAngelo Williams and James Harrison who will give it to him straight and would be willing to bring him along IF he is salvageable.

After all....all we have to go by is that he was on the Browns...a team that has made a bust of about 5-6 first round picks since 2012. That has got to be more of an organizational problem with maximizing potential then it is to bad draft picks.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    This guy could be the best CB on the team if it breaks in our favor. Or, we could get nothing, like you usually do with your 6th-round pick. There is NO downside to this deal, unless he does something off the field that's so stupid it was unbelievable.
    it will take a year at best, but Gilbert, Burns, Davis, Mitchell - that could be the best looking set of starting DBs in the league - at least getting off the bus. If they could all pan out at their original draft rating - oh my.

[QUOTE=steelerkitty;556711]

Yeah right. And Donald Trump COULD become the next National Spokesman for the Feminist movement as well...( LOL )

That is about your last warning....stop with the condescending remarks or find a new place to haunt.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    He is a project. No one knows what we have here until we get him around older, high character players like DeAngelo Williams and James Harrison who will give it to him straight and would be willing to bring him along IF he is salvageable.

After all....all we have to go by is that he was on the Browns...a team that has made a bust of about 5-6 first round picks since 2012. That has got to be more of an organizational problem with maximizing potential then it is to bad draft picks.
    Hear, hear!

[QUOTE=LLT;556714]

That is about your last warning....stop with the condescending remarks or find a new place to haunt.

So, he can be insulting towards me...but I can't post a response that is in no way insulting to him. Just one where I think his comment on Gilbert being our best DB was laughable ?

[QUOTE=steelerkitty;556717]

So, he can be insulting towards me...but I can't post a response that is in no way insulting to him. Just one where I think his comment on Gilbert being our best DB was laughable ?

Looking back at the conversation and you are instigating a flame war. I've already warned one other poster via pm...and...this is NOT up for discussion. Debate with courtesy and if you have a problem with another poster you take it to the mods as the other poster did...not on the general forum.

-- Jack Lambert --

[QUOTE=steelerkitty;556717]

REALLY??!! You've been insulting to posters all over this board all day long!! I think you're just trying see just what it takes to get banned. I've seen posters get banned for a lot less.

[QUOTE=LLT;556719]

Looking back at the conversation and you are instigating a flame war. I've already warned one other poster via pm...and...this is NOT up for discussion. Debate with courtesy and if you have a problem with another poster you take it to the mods as the other poster did...not on the general forum.

Okay....

[QUOTE=steelerkitty;556722]

Okay....

and 3...2...1...

That...is how you earn a 7 day vacation.
    Last edited by LLT; 09-04-2016 at 07:12 AM.

-- Jack Lambert --

[QUOTE=LLT;556724]

and 3...2...1...

That...is how you earn a 7 day vacation.
    I may be speaking for many, but......Thank you!

For this comment, let us assume that some guys make it into the lineup by about mid season.

Gilbert and Burns outside. Davis and Mitchell at safety. Gay and Golson/Cockerell inside.

chick filet, Timmons, shazier, and Dupree fronted by Heyward, Hargrave, and Tuitt.

You can really start to see a theme here. All these dudes can fly for their positions. Timmons might be the slowest dude outside the front line. It is the next evolution in the "run and hit" defense. Trouble is about half the dudes on that list are raw and totally unproven.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I wasn't being sarcastic.

I was actually telling you to "Go away".

Kind of sad, actually, at one point SK was a productive member of this forum—or am I just getting old and senile?

As to the topic of the thread, I love this trade. It feels like a something-for-nothing deal. WE almost never keep sixth round picks (the 1 out of 100 AB picks not included). So, basically, we get a chance to see if the kid can turn his career around with us, and if he can't, well, we lose a camp-body-pick, essentially.