Thread: How NFL practice squads work

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

How NFL practice squads work

By Jeanna Thomas  @jeannathomas on Sep 3, 2016, 8:00a

Your favorite NFL team will be adding players to its practice squad this weekend. Here’s what you need to know.

l around the NFL, teams are paring down rosters to the mandatory 53-man limit before the league’s deadline on Sept. 3 at 4 p.m. ET. Beginning Sept. 4 at 1 p.m., teams can start assembling practice squads, groups of 10 players who practice with the team throughout the week but are not eligible to be active on game days.

Many times, teams use practice squads to keep players who have potential but need development. It gives teams an opportunity to invest in players in a low-cost (by NFL standards) and low-risk way. It also provides teams with a stash of backup players who are familiar with the scheme and system, which is helpful in the event of injury.

The NFL tweaked its rules for practice squad eligibility this year. In 2014, the NFL and NFLPA agreed to a rule that expanded the practice squad roster limits from eight to 10 players. The rule expired prior to the 2016 league year, but it has been renewed. In addition, last year teams could have two of the 10 practice squad spots filled by players who had two or more years of experience on an NFL roster. This year, that number has been increased to four players.

Here’s a brief rundown of who can be signed to a practice squad and what it means for his NFL career.

Who is eligible for a spot on the practice squad?

Each team can keep 10 players on its practice squad.
    Up to four of those 10 players can have two accrued NFL seasons. So, was a player on the 53-man roster for at least six games of two NFL seasons? Sorry, they’re out of luck.
    It used to be that three weeks of an NFL season spent on a practice squad counted as one full season of practice squad eligibility. Now, that number has been increased to six weeks, which expands some players’ eligibility.
    A player can spend no more than three seasons on any practice squad.
    How are practice squad players compensated?

Practice squad players must be paid at least $6,900 per week for the 2016 season. If a player is on a team’s practice squad for the entire regular season, that amounts to $117,300 for the year.
    Teams can pay practice squad players as much as they’d like. They’re not limited to that minimum, and practice squad salaries don’t count toward the cap. The Rams, in fact, paid tackle Isaiah Battle a whopping $25,888 per week. Most teams tend to pay salaries closer to the minimum, though.
    If a practice squad player is signed to another team’s active roster, they will receive a minimum of three game checks, no matter how long they remain on that active roster. They can be cut after a week, but they’re still getting three game checks.
    Does a practice squad player have to stay on the practice squad?

A practice squad player can be signed by another team, as long as the signing team adds the player to the 53-man roster. A practice squad player cannot be signed to another team’s practice squad.
    A player can, however, be signed to another team’s practice squad if their original team releases them.
    An opponent cannot sign a player off of a rival’s practice squad to use them to prepare for an upcoming game. Say the Saints are getting ready to play the Falcons, and Sean Payton wants to be sneaky, so New Orleans wants to sign a player off of Atlanta’s practice squad. The Saints can’t do that fewer than five days before the game against the Falcons, and if there’s a bye week before that matchup, the minimum is nine days.

While many players who spent the preseason with NFL teams are being cut today, the hope remains that they may get signed by another team off of waivers. If players clear waivers, the next best thing is the practice squad, which allows them to continue to develop as players and keep their NFL hopes alive.

It’s still a long shot for these players to carve out successful NFL careers, but landing on a practice squad gives them a shot. Several players have graduated from practice squads to active rosters and made an impact for their teams, including Broncos linebacker Brandon Marshall, Patriots wide receiver Danny Amendola and Steelers linebacker James Harrison.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/9/3/127...ibility-primer
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: How NFL practice squads work

Thanks for posting that. I was never quite certain how the PS worked.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The most useful thread/post in a while.

NOTE: That's not a disparaging indictment of the other threads, but an acknowledgement of the value of this one.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Thanks for posting that. I was never quite certain how the PS worked.

Agreed, thanks for the post Bro!

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

The reason I found this thread was because I was interested in the rules that pertain to how teams sign a player from another teams practice squad.

I am curious if a team can activate a player to avoid a player on their practice squad who is being actively pursued by another team who wants to sign them. That is assuming they are notified before their current practice squad player signs with the other team that is interested in them.

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    The reason I found this thread was because I was interested in the rules that pertain to how teams sign a player from another teams practice squad.

I am curious if a team can activate a player to avoid a player on their practice squad who is being actively pursued by another team who wants to sign them. That is assuming they are notified before their current practice squad player signs with the other team that is interested in them.
    Any luck, cause I was wondering the same thing, and this doesn't really say.....or did I miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Any luck, cause I was wondering the same thing, and this doesn't really say.....or did I miss it.
    I only read that one article. Thankfully Rudy (Matakevich) made the team.

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    I only read that one article. Thankfully Rudy (Matakevich) made the team.
    Yeah, cause I agree with many others here, that had he been placed on the PS, he would have been grabbed pretty quickly.