Thread: Steelers Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernicks decision to sit during national anthem

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Steelers Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernicks decision to sit during national anthem

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201608290128

Steelers left tackle Alejandro Villanueva, a former Army Ranger who served three tours of duty in Afghanistan, was critical of Colin Kaepernick’s decision to sit in protest during the national anthem, saying plenty of minority servicemen are dying overseas so the San Francisco 49ers quarterback can have a platform to express his opinion.

I don't like discussing politics (I know this is an NFL story) but if anyone has a beef, Al V has just as much right to be critical of Krapernick's "protest"

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: Steelers Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernicks decision to sit during national anthem

That's the difference between a real man and a kid with shit in his pants

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Steelers Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernicks decision to sit during national anthem

Doesn't matter who we personally agree with - each has the guaranteed right to express their opinion in any way legally sanctioned way they see fit. We don't have to like it, but that is the entire point of the system, right?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Doesn't matter who we personally agree with - each has the guaranteed right to express their opinion in any way legally sanctioned way they see fit. We don't have to like it, but that is the entire point of the system, right?
    Yes, as long men & women are willing to lay their lives down for that flag.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Kaepernick is another clueless BLM nut.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Yes, he has the right to have whatever dumb opinion he wants, and in return, I have the right to say he's a stupid dicknugget who ought to shut up. He really picked about the most clueless possible way of doing his little "protest" - to most rational people, refusing to stand during the national anthem has nothing at all to do with what he is upset about, and only makes you look like a real asshole.

It's really not too hard to figure out where this is all coming from; all you have to do is listen to him talk for 5 seconds. It's the archetypical white-person-trying-way-too-hard-to-talk-like-a-black-person-from-the-street, which has basically been his demeanor and the way he's carried himself since he came into the league. This seems like a natural extension of that. I suppose that's his right too, but all it does is make him look pathetic.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

He has accomplished the goal of any form of protest. Stupid or not. Agree or disagree. Kaepernick has gotten people talking and thinking about the issue.

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

they are not talking about the issue...hes a damn left wing liberal muslim nut and thats what people are talking about and rightfully so

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

He has accomplished the goal of any form of protest. Stupid or not. Agree or disagree. Kaepernick has gotten people talking and thinking about the issue.
    Not really. People have already been talking about those issues for a long time. Kaepernick just makes himself look like an unappreciative jerk, and if anything, his "protest" makes me want to do the opposite of whatever he wants.

For what it's worth - if you were to make a list of the 50 or 100 most important issues facing our country, racism wouldn't even be on the list and it wouldn't be close. It was really a masterful piece of manipulation for the Great Divider and his party to get people so worked up over it for political gain, but in reality there is almost nothing there. And shame on all the people who fell for it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Perhaps his protest would resonate much more, if he actually went to these different cities and helped the oppressed. Sitting down during the anthem only draws attention to himself. Sacrificing his time and money, helping the oppressed, has less spotlight, but more impact.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Perhaps his protest would resonate much more, if he actually went to these different cities and helped the oppressed. Sitting down during the anthem only draws attention to himself. Sacrificing his time and money, helping the oppressed, has less spotlight, but more impact.
    I don't think Kaepernick has any more concern for Black People then BLM does. BLM is using plays right out of the Hamas & Hezbollah play book. Just as they used the Palestinians, so is BLM using Black People and maybe that connection is more than a few plays.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

It doesn't take much to sit on your butt and do nothing, then talk about it like you just did something.
    All Defense!

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Not really. If anything it makes logical people see just how ridiculous and willfully ignorant people like Kaepernick can be.
    Hater = Realist

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Kaepernick has gotten people talking and thinking about the issue.
    Seems to me the only thing people are talking about is what a giant ass Kaepernick's made of himself.

Banned Array title="LloydWoodson is a glorious beacon of light">

Right... because CNN doesn't race bait and inflame tensions every day.

BLM shouldn't get any attention. There is no BLM platform. They have no
    legitimate solutions whatsoever.

BLM isn't so much of an organization as a label applied to give legitmacy to rioters.

That isn't even the point! If Kaepernick is dumb enough to support BLM so be it.

There are hundreds of black athletes who do support BLM I'm sure... but protesting by disrespecting his own country is moral and intellectual cowardice. Period. There is no other way to see it.

Go on talkshows, wear BLM stickers on your helmet, organize a march, start a charity, write a book... GIVE ME A LAZIER WAY TO PROTEST THAN SITTING ON YOUR ASS!!! Hahaha!

What a hero! He sat on his ass! It's a joke like BLM is a joke.

I do not wish to engage in a political debate with anyone, ever again. Also this is a football forum.

All I will say is that Kap is a washed up never-was as a player and I am highly uncertain whether I find his chosen mode of protest appropriate.

I do strongly feel that I am fortunate to live in a place where his, mine, and all of our rights to express our opinions any damn way we want is protected.

Many places in the world, half the crap that gets posted around here would have the re-education police knocking down our doors. Assuming we even had a door and the internet....

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

Kap probably realized that he may be cut really soon, so this is his last chance at doing anything anyone will notice. Cuz his play is poor, so he chose to insult the american people and soldiers. Shows what kind of guy he is, a disrespectful punk.I

If I were the owner of the Niners I would cut Kap outright and not let him waste a valuable roster spot.

Many places in the world, half the crap that gets posted around here would have the re-education police knocking down our doors.
    You mean like Facebook or Twitter? The Thought Police will pretty much crucify you and ban you from employment if you post that stuff there.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Kaepernick is another clueless BLM nut.
    But Rodney Harrison says Kaepernick is not black

In addressing the Kaepernick situation, Harrison suggested that Kaepernick isn’t black.
    “I tell you this, I’m a black man,” Harrison said, via Deadspin. “And Colin Kaepernick, he’s not black. He cannot understand what I face and what other young black men and black people face, or people of color face, on a every single [day] basis. When you walk in a grocery store . . . and you might have $2,000 or $3,000 in your pocket and you go up into a Foot Locker and they’re looking at you like you about to steal something. . . . I’m not saying that he has to be black. I said his heart is in the right place, but even with what he’s doing, he still doesn’t understand the injustices that we face as a black man or people of color, that’s what I’m saying.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/30/rodney-harrison-apologizes-for-colin-kaepernick-comment/

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    But Rodney Harrison says Kaepernick is not black

In addressing the Kaepernick situation, Harrison suggested that Kaepernick isn’t black.
    “I tell you this, I’m a black man,” Harrison said, via Deadspin. “And Colin Kaepernick, he’s not black. He cannot understand what I face and what other young black men and black people face, or people of color face, on a every single [day] basis. When you walk in a grocery store . . . and you might have $2,000 or $3,000 in your pocket and you go up into a Foot Locker and they’re looking at you like you about to steal something. . . . I’m not saying that he has to be black. I said his heart is in the right place, but even with what he’s doing, he still doesn’t understand the injustices that we face as a black man or people of color, that’s what I’m saying.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/30/rodney-harrison-apologizes-for-colin-kaepernick-comment/

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    The pick up of D Williams looks better and better every day.

From Hines Ward's Facebook page:

I'm not down on Kaepernick promoting his cause or the timing of it. I respect that. But I don't agree with the method he chose. Our national anthem stands for our freedom for all Americans regardless of color. It symbolizes the very reason Kaepernick is able to speak his mind and exercise his first amendment rights. If you want to make a point or take a stand, go straight after the root of that cause. Don't disrespect the whole country or the organization that's paying you millions of dollars to play football. Hines

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Kaepernick's not the only one who needs to give it a rest...

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Kaepernick's not the only one who needs to give it a rest...

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

The most annoying thing is the moronic BSPN article trying to say the word slave in the full score of the song was a racist remark, when in actuality it was referring to the British policy of capturing American vessels at sea and forcing them to serve in the British crews. Real jounalism is a lost art, nobody can research anything anymore. I probably research things with more effort than 90% of the people on TV and Radio, it is sickening.