Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers' latest cornerback experiment: William Gay in slot, Artie Burns on the outside

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: Steelers' latest cornerback experiment: William Gay in slot, Artie Burns on the outside

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    But they bring Karlos Williams in for a look...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

probably as a favor to Vince for signing an extension ( free family visit ) no offer was made no report of money even being discussed ... but what do we know , only what they tell us ....

Re: Steelers' latest cornerback experiment: William Gay in slot, Artie Burns on the outside

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Yes. Jarvis Jones puts essentially zero pressure on the QB. Imagine if someone like Greg Lloyd was over there... how great would this defense be.

(Make sense?)
    But would he get the same pressure? Remember, Lloyd was playing behind Ray Seals and on the other side of Greene for what was arguable his three best years of football. There's the chance that as the D Line improves, all our LBs improve as well. Obviously, I'm not going to say J Jones = Lloyd, but I also don't think its a mutually exclusive issue as well.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

[QUOTE=Hawkman;556479]
    Quote Originally Posted by awe1028 View Post

Not really sure why you and others say we have a lack of pass rush, when we were third in sacks last year. Is it because it's not all coming from the edge?
    Because it was either a sack or the QB had time. There was no consistent pressure.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="awe1028 will become famous soon enough">

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post

Not really sure why you and others say we have a lack of pass rush, when we were third in sacks last year. Is it because it's not all coming from the edge?
    I must respectfully disagree. The Steelers had increased sacks last season no question. However the sack total was "artificially" inflated due to the defense "selling out" to get those sacks. This in turn made the secondary more vulnerable which of course showed in the numbers.

A good pass rush is one in which you can get effective pressure in the base defense. In the case of Pittsburgh's 3 4 defense this comes primarily from the OLBs and we can all agree the pressure from Pittsburgh's OLBs is sub par.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    But would he get the same pressure? Remember, Lloyd was playing behind Ray Seals and on the other side of Greene for what was arguable his three best years of football. There's the chance that as the D Line improves, all our LBs improve as well. Obviously, I'm not going to say J Jones = Lloyd, but I also don't think its a mutually exclusive issue as well.
    Indeed, the play of the OLBs is improved by the play of the DEs. When teams had to double-team Ray Seals or Aaron Smith or Kimo von Oelhoffen or The Beard (etc.) the OLBs were often left against a single blocker.

And, I'd argue that Tuitt & Heyward are easily as good as any one of those DEs listed above. Thus, Jarvis Jones is often left against "only" a LT. The problem is that he can not beat that single blocker.

Heck, even Clark "Average" Haggans was able to occasionally beat that 1:1 blocking to create pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Indeed, the play of the OLBs is improved by the play of the DEs. When teams had to double-team Ray Seals or Aaron Smith or Kimo von Oelhoffen or The Beard (etc.) the OLBs were often left against a single blocker.

And, I'd argue that Tuitt & Heyward are easily as good as any one of those DEs listed above. Thus, Jarvis Jones is often left against "only" a LT. The problem is that he can not beat that single blocker.

Heck, even Clark "Average" Haggans was able to occasionally beat that 1:1 blocking to create pressure.
    Those are all good points. I'd throw in, however, that those other players, including Clark, played with three pretty good to very good Dlineman, with the NT often having to be double teamed and the outside guys eating up one or two lineman themselves. Without a solid NT (not necessarily what we had before, as the scheme has changed), but without a NT that needs to be doubleteamed, you leave one, sometimes two lineman open to eat up blitzes.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Those are all good points. I'd throw in, however, that those other players, including Clark, played with three pretty good to very good Dlineman, with the NT often having to be double teamed and the outside guys eating up one or two lineman themselves. Without a solid NT (not necessarily what we had before, as the scheme has changed), but without a NT that needs to be doubleteamed, you leave one, sometimes two lineman open to eat up blitzes.
    ...and there in lies the "original" beauty of the 3 4. I see Butler doing some really creative formations this year.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Banned Array title="LloydWoodson is a glorious beacon of light">

"Steelers play corners at their natural positions: crazy right?" should be the thread title.